Slayer drummer mentions Axl

Lethal Weapon

Sonic Excess recently conducted an interview with SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo. A few excerpts from the chat follow below.

Sonic Excess: Why do you think SLAYER has had such a lasting influence and cultural impact?

Lombardo: I think maybe because we've been consistent. We're dependable. This is the first time in 24 or 25 years that we have cancelled any kind of touring. It's not Axl Rose throwing a hissy fit and not doing a show. Our singer had to go into surgery, and in 24 years we have not missed a show. For the kind of music that we play, there is a physical demand that it takes. I think that's pretty cool. I think that says a lot for the band's reputation; that we're there, that we're loyal to the style of music that we play.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=134388

Edited by Lethal Weapon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here come about 100 Jabronis/GnR-educators who know nothing about Slayer and will now bash them because they said something (true) about Axl.

its alright, bands with nothing better to do always find a way to bring up Axl, even if its negative its still good, thanks Slayer!

Here come about 100 Jabronis/GnR-educators who know nothing about Slayer and will now bash them because they said something (true) about Axl.

Due to all the headbanging and speed of the music, a Slayer show is incredibly physically demanding on the band(not that a GNR show isn't but a Slayer show is probably more demanding) and Dave meant that in 25 or so years they have never canceled a tour and now they have to due to injuries to Tom Araya (lead vocals/bass) whereas GnR/Axl have been known to cancel shows at the last minute for no reason.

You may not like BBA but what Dave said is true.

You're right but the first little paragraph you added negates any kind of credibility and meaning in your post.

Everyone is different. I would say the difference here is that Axl is a "star", who draws most of the focus, and that pressure can lead to a lot of bad things. I don't think getting up on stage and singing in front of thousands of people is the easiest thing in the world.

Been a huge Slayer and Lombardo fan for many years. Any Slayer fan knows that something was missing from the band when Lombardo was not the drummer. Axl and GnR are my favorite band hands down, but I like lots of bands that probably take shots at Axl. Face it guys, Axl has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, including me. What I like most about Axl is that he keeps coming back and shoving it in their faces.

omg how dare he say dat aboot axl rose slayer r such hasbeens lololol (mayb if axl reeds this he'll bring me on tour wif im)

Exchange Slayer for any other name and you've got yourself a quarter of the posts on this forum.

I have nothing against Slayer not my kind of music but it is kinda pathetic just like he needed to justify his comment by taking a cheap shot at Axl. It has nothing to do with him being talking truth or not ( in this case he has a point ). He didn't need to set himself up in better position by downgrading Axl. That part of the comment wasn't necessary and only shows that Lombardo is a dick , one should focus on himself not on others. And became hip to talk shit about Axl just to make a point and grab headlines. Serious artists should stay away from such actions.

Not at all. I find it funny when people make fun of the bands who slag Axl when they know nothing about said band. Lombardo's point stands no matter who posted it.

Dude...Not gonna bash Slayer because I'm a big Lombardo fan because of Fantomas, but, do you REALLY believe that the reason they "had such a lasting influence and cultural impact" is because they never cancelled a show ??

I mean Guns cancelled a shiiiiiiiiitload of shows but still had a huge influence and cultural impact so how is it a relevant answer ?

Not saying it's not true about Axl, but the answer has nothing to do with the question...unless Lombardo thinks it's the main reason why Slayer is an influential band...and then I don't get it.