The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

Heir Apparent, Hessian Peel, Hex Omega, The Lotus Eater are classic Opeth tracks for me, then again I don't believe there's a song under 7/10 in their whole library and I don't even think that's fanboyism. Heritage I'd maybe give the accolade as their weakest, hardly a wooden spoon effort. It's a good record, obvious transitional period with Mike flirting a little too much away from what we'd ''expect'' from an actual Opeth creation if that makes any sense. He finetuned it and got more comfortable on Pale Communion and they all sound like living, breathing tracks and flow a hell of a lot better. Moon Above, Sun Below has yet another fantastic ending (how the hell does he keep doing that??) and I really dig the simple as hell repetitive riff on Cusp of Eternity, ya know the DUDUDUDU DUDUDUDU DUDUDUDU

• Like 2

I will second, third and fourth the love for Moon Above Sun Below. Classic 'Peth. fair to say Opeth are easily like a top 10 metal band of the past 20-25 years right? Maybe even top 5

I was thinking about my personal "metal power rankings." If I had to pick right now who I'd say is the top metal band I'd likely say Mastodon given their crossover appeal and ability to still write good heavy albums. And Im not counting legacy acts here like Slayer or Maiden. If Deafheaven puts out one more good release theyre a challenger.

• Like 1

I will second, third and fourth the love for Moon Above Sun Below. Classic 'Peth. fair to say Opeth are easily like a top 10 metal band of the past 20-25 years right? Maybe even top 5

I was thinking about my personal "metal power rankings." If I had to pick right now who I'd say is the top metal band I'd likely say Mastodon given their crossover appeal and ability to still write good heavy albums. And Im not counting legacy acts here like Slayer or Maiden. If Deafheaven puts out one more good release theyre a challenger.

Opeth might be #1

Mastodon and Opeth together is just too much, the ground these guys have covered, especially with the unnatural landscape of progression already mapped out in the heavier realms... it's commendable and that's a very weak compliment but it's just outstandingly commendable.

ne obliviscaris is definitely a band on the rise, if you are a fan of opeth you should check them out, as for my power rankings my #1 right now would be a complete toss up between insomnium, blind guardian or anything dan swano does.

• Like 1

Where do you all stand on black metal? Personally I don't like it save for Agalloch and Xasthur. Too much shrieking and blast beats. but the ones that do it right have some incredible atmospheric instrumentation. I did bite on the Deafheaven hype, that is a good record. I liked the shoegaze/black mix they had. Good live show, too.

The reason I ask is because this is like the 3rd article I've seen praising this band Ghost Bath, who kinda sound like Deafheaven. I saw them on Noisey, Consequence of Sound and now Metalsucks.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/03/06/uplifting-depressive-black-metal-ghost-baths-moonlover/

They don't sound bad but i can't fathom why black/shoegaze is all of a sudden such a hot commodity. Remember, traditionally non metal outlets like Pitchfork and Spin were all in on deafheaven. Ltiurgy and Wolves In The Throne Room too, though the latter two bands were more black than they were blackgaze. How does seemingly such an offputting sub genre garner crossover appeal?

Edited by bt88

Where do you all stand on black metal? Personally I don't like it save for Agalloch and Xasthur. Too much shrieking and blast beats. but the ones that do it right have some incredible atmospheric instrumentation. I did bite on the Deafheaven hype, that is a good record. I liked the shoegaze/black mix they had. Good live show, too.

The reason I ask is because this is like the 3rd article I've seen praising this band Ghost Bath, who kinda sound like Deafheaven. I saw them on Noisey, Consequence of Sound and now Metalsucks.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/03/06/uplifting-depressive-black-metal-ghost-baths-moonlover/

They don't sound bad but i can't fathom why black/shoegaze is all of a sudden such a hot commodity. Remember, traditionally non metal outlets like Pitchfork and Spin were all in on deafheaven. Ltiurgy and Wolves In The Throne Room too, though the latter two bands were more black than they were blackgaze. How does seemingly such an offputting sub genre garner crossover appeal?

I like black metal but I'm more old school and really don't know too many new black metal bands aside from Wolves in the Throne Room and Agalloch.

And I'm an old dude, so I don't really know all of the sub-sub-genres like blackgaze, as you've mentioned.

Ulver is one of my all time favorite bands but they've moved so far beyond black metal now.

Enslaved, Darkthrone, 1349, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Behexen, Blut Aus Nord, Sarcofago, Woods Of Ypres, Watain, Alcest, Thorns, Myrkskog, Xasthur, Anaal Nathrakh, Absu would be among my black metal favorites. Basically, the more well known

I like black metal but I'm more old school and really don't know too many new black metal bands aside from Wolves in the Throne Room and Agalloch.

And I'm an old dude, so I don't really know all of the sub-sub-genres like blackgaze, as you've mentioned.

Ulver is one of my all time favorite bands but they've moved so far beyond black metal now.

Enslaved, Darkthrone, 1349, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Behexen, Blut Aus Nord, Sarcofago, Woods Of Ypres, Watain, Alcest, Thorns, Myrkskog, Xasthur, Anaal Nathrakh, Absu would be among my black metal favorites. Basically, the more well known

i really like black metal but i tend to stay more towards the ambient/atmospheric style of black metal which does sometimes fall into the "blackgaze"/ "post black metal" style of black metal. blackgaze is stuff like alcest, wolves in the throne room, some agalloch, fen stuff like that. its black metal that is ambient, has dreamy soundscapes and vocals kind of take a back seat.

i just kind of consider blackgaze part of the ambient/atmospheric black metal umbrella, works well enough for me anyway. my favorite black metal band going right now is probably midnight odyssey(who get hit with the blackgaze label sometimes) its a one man band from australia, the album "funerals from the astral sphere" is one of my all time favorite black metal albums of all time. i do like the old classics as well, darkthrone, mayehem, burzum etc.

also i think of all subgenres of metal black metal mixes well with pretty much any other sub genre. faustcoven is just an amazing blackened doom band

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Anyone check out the latest Machine Head record? I can't believe how high their star has been since they returned with Through The Ashes of Empires, absolutely phenomenal. Night of the Long Knives is crushing. Damage Inside has really grown on me too. If you like metulz definitely get yourself listening to the mighty Machine Head.

i really like black metal but i tend to stay more towards the ambient/atmospheric style of black metal which does sometimes fall into the "blackgaze"/ "post black metal" style of black metal. blackgaze is stuff like alcest, wolves in the throne room, some agalloch, fen stuff like that. its black metal that is ambient, has dreamy soundscapes and vocals kind of take a back seat.

i just kind of consider blackgaze part of the ambient/atmospheric black metal umbrella, works well enough for me anyway. my favorite black metal band going right now is probably midnight odyssey(who get hit with the blackgaze label sometimes) its a one man band from australia, the album "funerals from the astral sphere" is one of my all time favorite black metal albums of all time. i do like the old classics as well, darkthrone, mayehem, burzum etc.

also i think of all subgenres of metal black metal mixes well with pretty much any other sub genre. faustcoven is just an amazing blackened doom band

Both of the black metal posts mentioned Alcest. I forgot about them, GREAT band. However the last record was not metal at all. Didnt bother me, thought it was excellent. What did you guys think? Did you like it or did you miss the harsher vocals at points?

Both of the black metal posts mentioned Alcest. I forgot about them, GREAT band. However the last record was not metal at all. Didnt bother me, thought it was excellent. What did you guys think? Did you like it or did you miss the harsher vocals at points?

i thought shelter was a damn good album as well and had it as one of my favorites of 2014. i honestly didnt miss the harsh vocals all that much i dont think the songs really lent themselves to having harsh vocals it flowed great as it was IMO. another great folky/black metal band is empyrium even though they went more folky and in a more neofolk(still great albums in the latter part of their career) direction a wintersunset and songs of moors and misty fields are brilliant albums as well.

I want a fucking new Immortal record

I really hope they can come up something new this year

im with you on that one. abbath said the album was pretty much done and ready to be submitted to nuclear blast. the last thing i heard of immortal was the band fighting over name rights.

• Like 1

Royal Thunder have a new song. Theyre basically a female led doom band who really aren't totally doom much anymore. Caught them opening for Baroness and they rocked. Loud sound, powerful vocals live, good solos.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/03/17/new-royal-thunder-song-will-make-glow/

I really dig this band and think they have crossover potential. Their first album is doomier than this, it sounds like they're expandng. But damn it is still good

• Like 1

Royal Thunder have a new song. Theyre basically a female led doom band who really aren't totally doom much anymore. Caught them opening for Baroness and they rocked. Loud sound, powerful vocals live, good solos.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/03/17/new-royal-thunder-song-will-make-glow/

I really dig this band and think they have crossover potential. Their first album is doomier than this, it sounds like they're expandng. But damn it is still good

have to check it out it sounds pretty good.