The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

I like both bands, but Periphery's album is hit or miss for me. I don't hear a lot of stand out songs on it, even though it's a pretty solid album. I actually relistened to AAL for the first time in a while last night, I liked the album more than I did the first time.

Periphery took awhile to grow on me. I think their next one will kill it. AAL put on a phenomenal show when I saw them

What other bands are there in this vein? I can think of The Ocean Collective off hand. I know Meshuggah has that "djent" guitar tone but theyre way heavier than these two bands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So The Black Dahlia murder just dropped a new record and its sick. To me this puts them at the forefront of modern metal. The shreddery is top notch but this time around they add some acoustic guitars and piano on a few tunes. The guitar solos and some of the leads are less brutal and more catchy than usual. Still, its an unrelenting record. Im in love with this record right now. Heres the first track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx26JnvDfYI

• 3 weeks later...

Never liked Iron Maiden, I actually hated them as a matter of fact, but recently I really got into them! Makes me regret I didn't give them a second chance before their concert here in Rio this year.

I have a friend that went thru that, until we dragged him to the Somewhere Back In Time tour, afterwards he's a lifelong fan.

Haha, I was the same way. I used to hate Maiden a few years ago. I was never a huge fan, and I'm still not a huge fan, but I really like them now. Just a shame I don't have many of their albums. Just the Somewhere Back in Time compilation and A Matter of Life and Death. I'd really like to get everything up to Fear in the Dark and their last three albums.

I have a friend who thinks that prog metal is the best and everything else sucks so I used to not listen to Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc. because it reminded me of this guys ignorant and close-minded views on music but I haven't talked to him in a few months and I have been enjoying those bands more and more

i will never like iron maiden, won't happen. it's impossible. go ahead and hate me for it :D

Next week: "Holy shit guys I fucking love Maiden!"

seen em live, it was corny and i left before it was over. i'll just say it again

i will never like iron maiden

i will never like iron maiden, won't happen. it's impossible. go ahead and hate me for it :D

Next week: "Holy shit guys I fucking love Maiden!"

seen em live, it was corny and i left before it was over. i'll just say it again

i will never like iron maiden

Haha don't worry, just fooling around. I'm not a Maiden fan either, never really could get along with that vibe myself.

Your losses..

Maiden in Nottingham Arena in 5 days :D Relistening to the 4 reunion albums now to get me in the mood. Been waiting 3 long years since Twickenham Stadium on the SBIT tour to see them again

• 1 year later...

i wanted to create a thread like this but saw one was created already so i will necro this one instead of posting a new thread :)

the new forgotten tomb album is streaming online

http://www.rockerilla.com/?p=8462

i quite liked it will probably be in my top 20 post at the end of the year

so what is everyones favorite metal album of the year?

i wanted to create a thread like this but saw one was created already so i will necro this one instead of posting a new thread :)

I listened to the first song and I liked parts of it :P

I don't have a favorite Metal album this year because none of the bands I like have realesed anything :unsure:

But I have just started listening to Baroness so even if they aren't a metal band I'll say Yellow & Green is my favorite album of the year :)

I listened to the first song and I liked parts of it :P

I don't have a favorite Metal album this year because none of the bands I like have realesed anything :unsure:

But I have just started listening to Baroness so even if they aren't a metal band I'll say Yellow & Green is my favorite album of the year :)

i consider baroness metal granted i just got into them a month or so ago when i got the red album, which i really like so i got to explore more of their discography, it is a shame about the bus accident glad they are doing better

couple of my favorites so far this year are

wintersun- time I

woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light

agalloch- faustian echoes EP

Metal is like pizza: there is always a flavour for you. I personally love most of them from Doom to Speed/ Technical Death. From Funk to Thrash. From Classical to Industrial. God, even Nu Metal has its bright moments.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Slayer and Led Zeppelin (not sure if I should call them metal), Preparing myself for their gigs, Industrial and Djent, which seems to be the (not so) new shit among ERG metal fans: There's a lot of shitty Meshuggah Rip-offs, with boring and repetitive riffs, but there's also a lot of good shit:

(not sure if this one is actually Djent)