The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

That was more like anti-music, certainly not a positive argument for metal being the "most musically talented from a technical standpoint of any genre today".

"most musically talented from a technical standpoint of any genre today", what does that even mean? that it's the genre with the most wankery? :shrugs:

That was more like anti-music, certainly not a positive argument for metal being the "most musically talented from a technical standpoint of any genre today".

"most musically talented from a technical standpoint of any genre today", what does that even mean? that it's the genre with the most wankery? :shrugs:

No in terms of manipulating music conventions such as time signatures and scales. Or just the speed at which they play their instruments. Have you ever heard Dillinger Escape Plan? Not only are they playing incredibly complicated music but they're playing it at a quick pace and when they play it live they're running around the stage while doing it. I'd argue metal bands have better command of their instruments than any other genre. I highly doubt anyone in, say, King of Leon could hang with anyone in metal in terms of just playing their instruments. Of course King of Leon write catchy songs so thats theyre thing and thats fine. Being a band who uses the technical aspects of music, for the most part, doesnt make you popular. Where you see "wankery", others see challenging music.

Edited by bt88

so it's kinda like expressionist metal?

Hmmm. Interesting. I dont think I ever thought of it like that. From what I get about impressionist painting its that they distort reality to evoke emotions. I'd say the distortion part is true but the main emotion would be rage or anger I suppose. Not all tech bands, at least lyrically, are negative and all doom and gloom like many metal stereotypes would suggest. It certainly does have parallels where expressionist art wasnt aesthetically appealing at least by traditional standards. Interesting point, sir.

• 2 weeks later...

So Amon Amarth released the cover art for their new album and its all at once awesome and ridiculous. Very metal. Check it out

surtur-rising.jpg]

Brian Slagel, the CEO of Metal Blade records, tweeted that the record is really incredible. Comes out March 29th, looking forward to some good old fashioned viking metal

Edited by bt88

• 4 weeks later...

I consider GNR metal. Besides, each band should get thier own thread. They deserve it more than some of the shit that gets talked about in my word. I had no idea so many people listened to terrible music here. I thought that if they liked GNR they would have decent taste. Guess not.

cool story broski

I consider GNR metal. Besides, each band should get thier own thread. They deserve it more than some of the shit that gets talked about in my word. I had no idea so many people listened to terrible music here. I thought that if they liked GNR they would have decent taste. Guess not.

I have no idea what the point of that post is

ANYways, the following metal bands are writing, recording or have new albums coming out soon:

Meshuggah

Tool

Opeth

Mastodon

Protest The Hero

Amon Amarth

Lots of good stuff coming down the pipe. I have no idea what Mastodon is gonna do to follow up Crack The Skye. The Tool record is probably still a ways off. Opeth always puts out solid, deep records. Good things coming for metal;

New IF too, apparently it's going to be a more "dark, haunted" kind of album, which I'm excited for although the name "Sounds of a Playground Fading" is pretty stupid/child molester-y.

Have the last few IF records been up to snuff? I kinda gave up after hearing come Clarity. Im still a Jester/Whoreacle/Colony/Clayman purist with them

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Blasphemy!

Anyway, I was just looking through some great music I haven't heard in many years. Here are some of the bands on my playlist now:

Naglfar

Tankard (The by far best trashmetal band)

The Exploited

Anal Cunt

Burzum

Caninus

Exhumed

Satyricon

Mörk Gryning

Six Feet Under

Frostfödd

Graveworm

^_^

Blasphemy!

Anyway, I was just looking through some great music I haven't heard in many years. Here are some of the bands on my playlist now:

Naglfar

Tankard (The by far best trashmetal band)

The Exploited

Anal Cunt

Burzum

Caninus

Exhumed

Satyricon

Mörk Gryning

Six Feet Under

Frostfödd

Graveworm

^_^

Damn dude youre into the dark stuff. Nice. Are you a Xasthur fan?

Can't say I am. Not sure if I've heard them.

Here's a great song. Listen to the scream around 2.03 and tell me you don't get orgasm from that.

Xasthur is an American one man basement black metal band. He hates doing interviews and never plays live. I actually buy this music knowing that. Its haunting stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iPLRYCVDk

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Can't say I am. Not sure if I've heard them.

Here's a great song. Listen to the scream around 2.03 and tell me you don't get orgasm from that.

Xasthur is an American one man basement black metal band. He hates doing interviews and never plays live. I actually buy this music knowing that. Its haunting stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iPLRYCVDk

Sounds great! I'll have to check them out.