The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

Right now i'm in love with these guys :heart:

Protest The Hero is an amazing band. Based on their progression from album to album, I think the new one will be legendary. The guitar work is insane, tap slides everywhere!

On a side note I met one of the guitarists at Ace Bar in Manhattan and he couldnt have been cooler or more down to earth. Always good to see

Fuckin' LOVE this song so much....

This is definately my favorite song on the new album...

If it's not really your style, skip to 2:45... The whole middle section blows my mind every time I hear it...

That is a really cool song. I have to say, Dani's vocals are generally what turned me off from Cradle of Filth. I heard some song where he was shrieking and I wasnt feeling it, which is weird because I like some black metal vocalists. I did truly enjoy the music on that track

What is considered Cradle of Filth's go to album? The one that people point to as their best and a good starting point

If it's not really your style, skip to 2:45... The whole middle section blows my mind every time I hear it...

That is a really cool song. I have to say, Dani's vocals are generally what turned me off from Cradle of Filth. I heard some song where he was shrieking and I wasnt feeling it, which is weird because I like some black metal vocalists. I did truly enjoy the music on that track

What is considered Cradle of Filth's go to album? The one that people point to as their best and a good starting point

Hmmm... Dusk... And Her Embrace and Cruelty And The Beast are considered the best, but those are when his vocals would've been the 'shriek-iest'. Personally, I love his vocals on those albums, but I can obviously see why others wouldn't...

I'd say, if you liked that track, maybe check out Nymphetamine (their most 'mainstream' album), or Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder

here's some examples:

Her Ghost In The Fog (from 'Midian')

The newest single...

His vocals on Midian were, in my opinion, still fantastic - they were still somewhat 'shriek-ish' but not as much as on the earlier records, so if you liked 'Her Ghost...' check out 'Tortured Soul Asylum' and 'Lord Abortion' :xmasssanta:

Hmmm... Dusk... And Her Embrace and Cruelty And The Beast are considered the best, but those are when his vocals would've been the 'shriek-iest'. Personally, I love his vocals on those albums, but I can obviously see why others wouldn't...

I'd say, if you liked that track, maybe check out Nymphetamine (their most 'mainstream' album), or Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder

here's some examples:

The newest single...

His vocals on Midian were, in my opinion, still fantastic - they were still somewhat 'shriek-ish' but not as much as on the earlier records, so if you liked 'Her Ghost...' check out 'Tortured Soul Asylum' and 'Lord Abortion' :xmasssanta:

I will check that out. I heard the shriek vocals like 8 years ago before I opened my musical pallet a little. Like I said I listen to black metal now and if you can handle black metal vocals you can handle just about anything. Allmusic.com said Dusk and Her Dark Embrace was the best I'll go with that. Thanks for the tips, I'll be back to discuss.

In the mean time I leave you all with another new metal band I've discovered who are incredible. Very technical and theyre instrumental. If you have the patience the musicianship is stellar

here's some examples:

The newest single...

I will check that out. I heard the shriek vocals like 8 years ago before I opened my musical pallet a little. Like I said I listen to black metal now and if you can handle black metal vocals you can handle just about anything. Allmusic.com said Dusk and Her Dark Embrace was the best I'll go with that. Thanks for the tips, I'll be back to discuss.

In the mean time I leave you all with another new metal band I've discovered who are incredible. Very technical and theyre instrumental. If you have the patience the musicianship is stellar

Dusk is probably my favorite album...

My personal favorite song from the album:

A Gothic Romance (Red Roses For The Devils Whore)

(PS: This Animals As Leaders song is pretty cool)

Edited by RickRoses

here's some examples:

The newest single...

AAL is really good. The band Periphery is similar to them, almost like AAL with vocals. Look up "Icarus Lives" or "Letter Experiment" by them.

EDIT: Just only noticed I botched Animals As Leaders' acronym, lol.

Edited by chevelle

@RickRoses- Cradle of Filth is pretty crazy. I listen to some dark stuff but this stuff is just...wow. I do like it though. I can handle the vocals. The instrumentation basically makes it worth the listen. Very Layered. I dig

-Periphery is a sick band. They have incredible technical chops. There was a controversy over them adding a vocalist but I think the new record still kills

-Lotta people dig the cancer bats. Im still on the fence about em but I love how heavy they are.

This band called Dawnbringer is as much rock n roll as they are metal. Some incredible guitar work and just good heavy songs. Check em out, metalheads will most likely like it but non metal types could too. No growling vocals or anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQpwXQQ0saA

Edited by bt88

@RickRoses- Cradle of Filth is pretty crazy. I listen to some dark stuff but this stuff is just...wow. I do like it though. I can handle the vocals. The instrumentation basically makes it worth the listen. Very Layered. I dig

Do yourself a favor and check out

It's probably their best song - the music itself is so intense, the vocals are insane, and the lyrics are great.

Have you checked out anything besides what I've posted and the Dusk... album? I think you should check out Cruelty And The Beast - the production is really the only flaw, as the rest of it is pure brilliance...

Thirteen Autumns And A Widow - probably my favorite song, lyrically.... it's a shame Dani doesn't write in this style anymore, it's fucking genius!

I got a Cancer Bats album and they absolutely kick ass. Total heavy thrash. I recommend them for something that just pounds and doesnt stop

@RickRoses So far with Cradle all I've got is Dusk and Her Embrace. This one is going to take a listen or two to digest.

I just discovered this band called Gypsyhawk. They sound like Thin Lizzy mixed with more modern groove rock stuff like The Sword. Very much an Homage to classic rock, just look at the album cover. Great solos on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwog3vTOJsw

Edited by bt88

When it comes to Metal you gotta go old school man!

Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, W.A.S.P., Sabbath, Queensryche, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, that's where it's at. \m/

Been listenin' to W.A.S.P. a lot today, got Motley's Shout At The Devil on now, had some Welcome To My Nightmare goin' earlier.... Love re-discovering my vinyls :wub:

Protest The Hero is an amazing band. Based on their progression from album to album, I think the new one will be legendary. The guitar work is insane, tap slides everywhere!

On a side note I met one of the guitarists at Ace Bar in Manhattan and he couldnt have been cooler or more down to earth. Always good to see

I can't wait for the next record :o

wow thats awsome rock3

wow thats awsome rock3

I'm literally fuckin' dying for the new one. I saw a studio vid a few months back that very got me excited, but I haven't heard anything since then.

EDIT: Googled it outta curiosity, looks like they're finished recording:

http://www.punknews.org/article/40939

Edited by chevelle

wow thats awsome rock3

I'm literally fuckin' dying for the new one. I saw a studio vid a few months back that very got me excited, but I haven't heard anything since then.

EDIT: Googled it outta curiosity, looks like they're finished recording:

http://www.punknews.org/article/40939

yeah I have watched all three videos and I'm excited like hell !

I hope thay will come with more news soon

Protest is considered Metal? :huh:

Absolutely. What else would they be? They shred

I've always seen them as kinda prog emo. The singer is definitely emo. And they have enough starts and stops and changes in the songs to put a lot of prog bands to shame...

I can understand your resemblance if you're listening to Kazia. But if you're listening on the way he sings on Fortress and now i can't realy see the similarity. only that he sings with a high voice

I just see them as a Prog Metal/Punk/Mushroom tripping band :D

he's got more than a bit of screamo going on too

I don't realy see it as screamo. Screamo is more like whats going on in Bring me the Horizon.

Rody screams in kye and it sounds more like screaming that is in (melodic)-deathmetal and metalcore. and he also growls (Rodys growls, not Arif growls from Kazia) sounds also more Death or what you want to call it.

I dont realy find anything emo about the bands music, singing or lyrics now at all. But that's just my opinion. I find Death and Black-Metall to be more emo if I should be honest haha

Does anyone here like more technical stuff? This band The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza makes some killer music despite their goofy name. Their time signatures, their stops and starts and the speed at which they do it in is incredible. And the best part, theyre a 3 piece band and theyre able to make this much chaos. They kinda sound like early Dillinger Escape Plan

To me stuff like this proves that metal bands are the most musically talented from a technical standpoint of any genre today. Theyre music is just so inaccessible they never get the credit they deserve for their chops. Here's a clip, try to get past the harshness if you can.

Edited by bt88