The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

I've noticed a lot of power metal love on this thread. That's cool, I definitely like some of it. But do you power metal fans ever feel like it's tough to get through an entire album of that?

That being said, and to speak out of both sides of my mouth, I thoroughly enjoyed the new Freedom Call record:

I've noticed a lot of power metal love on this thread. That's cool, I definitely like some of it. But do you power metal fans ever feel like it's tough to get through an entire album of that?

That being said, and to speak out of both sides of my mouth, I thoroughly enjoyed the new Freedom Call record:

I certainly do find it hard to get thru an album and a lot of times, I cringe at the whole genre.

Power metal is easily my least favorite genre of metal but there are still some bands that I can enjoy....but in small doses

I certainly do find it hard to get thru an album and a lot of times, I cringe at the whole genre.

Power metal is easily my least favorite genre of metal but there are still some bands that I can enjoy....but in small doses

Yeah I agree, plus doesn't it feel like the genre itself has run out of ideas? The only thing you can do differently is go bigger. LONGER SONGS, MORE ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTS!

Now that said if I had to pin down my favorite metal sub genre it's sludge metal so like Mastodon, baroness, Kylesa, Red Fang, etc. You could easily make the same criticism there, with the 'Don and Baroness really being the only bands truly pushing the genre forward.

The biggest "been there done that" problem happens in thrash, to me. We definitely do not need another neo thrash band.

Whats interesting is, to me, black metal seems to be expanding the most. You look at how popular Deafheaven got and you look at how their "black shoegaze" thing seems to be something that crosses over a bit, somehow. Like non metal people like Liturgy and Wolves in the Throne Room. I dont fully understand why but its happening nonetheless.

Edited by bt88
  • Like 1

depends what band it is, some i can take in only small doses from time to time but a band like blind guardian or early tarja era nightwish(first 3 albums), persuader stuff like that i could listen to all day.

as for favorite sub genre i would go with doom and all its variations most notably funeral doom.

Edited by bran

the new ensiferum album is actually pretty damn good. the track "axe of judgement" is one of the most aggressive songs ensiferum have ever done. "two of spades" is one of the most unique songs they have ever done with cowbells, whistling with jazzy guitar, the song sounds like it could fit on some kind of weird spaghetti western or something its definitely an oddball type of song but goddamn is the chorus catchy. this album does contain some of petri's best harsh vocals since he joined ensiferum. i give the album a solid 8/10

candlemass and avatarium bass player leif edling will sit out a year from touring due to "health issues". hope its nothing he cant overcome candlemass is one of my all time favorite bands and the first avatarium album was awesome. per wiberg who played bass in opeth until 2011(IIRC) will fill in on bass.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/candlemass-mainman-leif-edling-to-sit-out-more-live-performances-due-to-health-issues/

soundgarden to release new album in 2016.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/soundgarden-to-release-new-album-in-2016/

scott reagers has rejoined saint vitus for their 2015 summer tour. reagers was the original saint vitus lead singer from 1980-1986, 1994-1996. he will be filling in for scott "wino" weinrich who was busted with 11 ounces of amphetamines in norway and was subsequently deported. this could be cool i prefer reagers to wino so might get some cool old school sets.

Edited by bran

Torche's new album came out today. They're basically a sludge metal band with hooky choruses and they pull it off surprisingly well. Their music is somehow upbeat, like makes you wanna tap your foot, but also really heavy. Not sure if this would be more relevant here or in the "space rock" thread, but I'm finding this record to be quite addictive

• Like 3

Any Opeth fans? I picked up their latest record, Pale Communion, and absolutely love it! It is more Prog with metal influences, but the music is just excellent.

Absolutely. Their move into clean vocals ruffled some feathers in the metal community, but that's to be expected. Their album before pale communion, heritage, was okay but they didnt open up musically like they normally do. Pale Communion is incredible though. I like the direction they're taking, and Afferfeldt said in an interview they had some death metal stuff for the new album but left it off. So they likely will go back to the balance of clean and harsh vocals sooner or later.

My personal fav Opeth record is Ghost Reveries, though I think most people consider Blackwater Park their best.

My favourite Opeth album is Still Life, but I still enjoy their new direction. Not to mention the songs are fun as hell to play on the guitar, so it's pretty much like older Opeth in that regard.

yeah still life is my favorite as well but pale communion was very good. now i just hope we get another storm corrosion album.

• Like 1

Going to metal gigs is kind of my 'thing' now. In 2015 ive seen Slipknot/korn, At The Gates and Sodom. Moshpits are hella fun i just wish i wasnt such a wimp :lol: Plus not knowing any other metalheads means going to gigs alone which kind of sucks.

Ive noticed that metal gigs are okay to go to alone. its very communal. I went to see Mastodon/Gojira/Kevelertak with some friends and there was a guy by himself next to us and by the end of the first band we were talking about Dream Theater. Metal and jam shows seem to be the most communal, so if you do go to a show alone start talking to someone about like minded bands. Good chance it won't be a bad thing you did.

Also unrelated, but stop me if you've heard this one before. "tool's new album is progressing along nicely"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/02/tools-new-album-is-progressing-nicely/

We'd all love to hear a new Tool album obviously but news updates on it are starting to feel like Charlie Brown and the football. Feels a little bit like a certain band we all like and visit a forum about doesnt it? I wont get excited until a release date is announced.

• Like 1

I watched the Steel Panther dvd last night.

Those guys are crazy funny.

I loved the "documentary" that was just so funny because they were all acting so serious when you know they were making the whole shit up.

I saw these guys open for Judas Priest, but I really hope they come back to Dallas headlining their own show because you know you're going to have a fun, crazy night!

• Like 1

I watched the Steel Panther dvd last night.

Those guys are crazy funny.

I loved the "documentary" that was just so funny because they were all acting so serious when you know they were making the whole shit up.

I saw these guys open for Judas Priest, but I really hope they come back to Dallas headlining their own show because you know you're going to have a fun, crazy night!

80 year old women who constantly swear and love Steel Panther are tremendous.

amorphis begin recording new album in april, i thought their last album "circle" was fantastic.

kataklysm has a new album coming out in july called "of ghosts and gods"

altar of oblivion will soon be releasing a new song "barren grounds"

Any Opeth fans? I picked up their latest record, Pale Communion, and absolutely love it! It is more Prog with metal influences, but the music is just excellent.

Absolutely. Their move into clean vocals ruffled some feathers in the metal community, but that's to be expected. Their album before pale communion, heritage, was okay but they didnt open up musically like they normally do. Pale Communion is incredible though. I like the direction they're taking, and Afferfeldt said in an interview they had some death metal stuff for the new album but left it off. So they likely will go back to the balance of clean and harsh vocals sooner or later.

My personal fav Opeth record is Ghost Reveries, though I think most people consider Blackwater Park their best.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I was sort of in the "rah no death vocals" camp for Heritage, but only because I think it adds a lot of contrast and dynamic to their music (which is already rich in it). That, and I thought the songwriting on Heritage wasn't quite up to snuff - Damnation did the 'clean Opeth' thing so much better. But Pale Communion actually sounds like Opeth again, even without the death vocals, and I think they finally found the sweet spot with their new sound.

• Like 1