What does "Prostitute" mean....to you?

springclean

What is your view on this great song and the lyrics?

I think it's the best song on CD and I love the James Bond atmosphere that it has to it.

However, I have no idea what the lyrics really mean. Not to read too much into them but is this about selling out or not selling out? Is it about staying true to yourself or giving up and letting go, like in love or life and all? The line "forgive what you have for what you might lose" is killing me every time. I think it could be the song with the deepest meaning along with "Catcher In The Rye".

I also love how the ending is an actual end chord musically and for the album with those three notes coming on and off in waves. The ending is quite intense, taking out the CD after this song feels like coming home from a funeral, I want be left alone for at least an hour but then again I would love to hear a full album with stuff like that so maybe I'm a masochist? LOL...

The song is great!

I see Prostitute as Sweet Child O' Mine's big sister. SCOM is all about the idealism and burning passion of young love, ending with the screams of "Where do we go now?", Prostitute is where the complications of reality catch up with you and ultimately where they ended up, where the feeling remains the heart of the matter, but no one is sure who's to blame any more so they resort to self-blame, doubt and recriminations. By the ending, some peace seems to have been found, and I do agree that the ending is THE perfect coda for the album. The perfect coda for any album, actually. I would be quite happy if the outro from Prostitute was the last thing I ever heard to be honest.

Amazing AMAZING song. Second best song Guns N Roses have ever done imo.

I honestly have no idea what the song is about. Axl hasnt really told us much of what any song is about, except Chinese Democracy and a few pieces of info on other songs like CITR.

But, i love Prostitute. The lyrics could actually be about a Prostitute, and how u feel shame or emotional about what they do for a living.

Nothing. I mean come on, it's just someone you pay money to have sex with you.

Your an idiot if u actually think that.

Old Guns, with all there rock n roll sleaz, had ten times more meaning in all there songs, than what u just said to describe Prostitute's lyrics.

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

What is your view on this great song and the lyrics?

I think it's the best song on CD and I love the James Bond atmosphere that it has to it.

However, I have no idea what the lyrics really mean. Not to read too much into them but is this about selling out or not selling out? Is it about staying true to yourself or giving up and letting go, like in love or life and all? The line "forgive what you have for what you might lose" is killing me every time. I think it could be the song with the deepest meaning along with "Catcher In The Rye".

I also love how the ending is an actual end chord musically and for the album with those three notes coming on and off in waves. The ending is quite intense, taking out the CD after this song feels like coming home from a funeral, I want be left alone for at least an hour but then again I would love to hear a full album with stuff like that so maybe I'm a masochist? LOL...

The song is great!

The verses reminded me of a Jacko song at first. I was a bit freaked out, but now I agree with you that it's by far the best track on the album.

It has everything, and the ending is the best instrumental ending to an album since 'I am the resurrection'.

It STILL annoys me why Axl can't sing "prostitute" properly the only fucking time he says it in the whole song. Why?

Ok waffle over, what it means to me is.........................

It's about walking away from a relationship that for multiple reasons cannot work.

AND it seems a lot of outside factors are the cause, as well as the obvious lines alluding to someone changing.

For these reasons even though there's a lot of love still from the singers perspective he's accepted the relationship is doomed and he has to leave.

The end bit for me is finding peace after making the decision and letting the anger slip away.

"Forgive what you have for what you might lose" to me is about accepting what you have and moving on, because if you only concentrate on the bad stuff you will lose the good stuff you have. So get over it and move on. Seems like by the end the person can't move on so Axl has to.

Probably a load of shite but it works for me.

LP

I see Prostitute as Sweet Child O' Mine's big sister. SCOM is all about the idealism and burning passion of young love, ending with the screams of "Where do we go now?", Prostitute is where the complications of reality catch up with you and ultimately where they ended up, where the feeling remains the heart of the matter, but no one is sure who's to blame any more so they resort to self-blame, doubt and recriminations. By the ending, some peace seems to have been found, and I do agree that the ending is THE perfect coda for the album. The perfect coda for any album, actually. I would be quite happy if the outro from Prostitute was the last thing I ever heard to be honest.

Well said. This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

It definitely has a wiser, less innocent feel to it.

Edited by Rock_And_Roll_Over

Exploitation, the media, what people say about you and how it's effects you. Thats the parts of the song that I think I have figured out but with the way Axl writes I think different verses can mean different things or can be referring to different events. Which is why it can be hard for me at least to always relate to what he's sayin in his songs. But Prostitute is Fer sure one of the best on ChiDem.