Is anyone else stuck inside Chinese Democracy

wasted

When I listen to anything else other than CD I don't feel satisfied and immeadiately go back to CD again.

It contains so many elements from other bands but with better songs, a better vocalist, with all these layers, awesome solos. The little conbos of TWAT/Catcher, Scraped/Riad, the runs from Madagascar to Prostitute, from CD to SOD.

It's like I'm trapped on some island and can't leave even if I try. It's like I'm living inside CD sometimes.

I can't be the only one?

Edited by wasted

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I listen to anything else other than CD I don't feel satisfied and immeadiately go back to CD again.

It contains so many elements from other bands but with better songs, a better vocalist, with all these layers, awesome solos. The little conbos of TWAT/Catcher, Scraped/Riad, the runs from Madagascar to Prostitute, from CD to SOD.

It's like I'm trapped on some island and can't leave even if I try. It's like I'm living inside CD sometimes.

I can't be the only one?

of course not. I'v been listening to it constantly since its release and leaks before that.

I can't listen to Prostitute without listening to TIL, can't listen to If the World without listening to TWAT and then catcher, etc.

I can't be the only one?

I am the same way to the point that it drives my wife crazy ( I think ). Great album...progressive with a few throw backs, awesome vocals, perfect production - exactly what I wanted.

Guest gunns5

I have a new appreciation for twat and S.O.D , I like the quiet moments in S.O.D just before the outro where you can just hear the piano, and the choir? harmonizing over axls vocals, I like the emotion and power in axls vocals in twat, and how the song just constantly climaxes like jenna jameson back in her heyday.

Ill never get sick of this album, every song on it has its place, and while I prefer twat/better/shacklers over riad, I still enjoy riad and scraped (especially at the gym, they are great work out songs :xmassrudolph: )

it's true once I start a song it's hard to turn off the next. but can you listen to other stuff?

I try but after about 30 seconds I can't take it and go back to CD. Back to the womb!

Sometimes in my mind when I'm not listening, I think maybe it's old now and maybe some aren't that good, but they have an addicitve quality. Like the drums on SOD and TWAT are something I only just discovered. the solos on shackler's and riad, I can't find that anywhere else. It's a bit like Angel Dust for me, on first listen I was like what is this unholy mess but once you've deciphered it all it's something mezmerizing, but I think CD takes it, TWAT is some serious shit, it's almost an album initself.

songs like Madagascar, This I Love and Prostitute have really grown on me. It's hard not see Prostitute as not up there with best of best GNR songs. Lyrically complicated but like Estranged once you know them it has an impact, then with all the drumming and things going on, that crazy guitar riff/solo thing. How is that shouldn't be up there on those top 100 metal songs of all time like One and Stairway to Heaven? But that's just one song, each song is like an album. Go back to If The World and you're in some kind of epic Bond movie with James Brown. and round and round we go. How do you build a raft awesome enough to escape from CD Island?

I love the quotes it's like some kind of Oliver Stone flashback to Illusion days but still be in the present time. Those quotes are the shit. I'm gonna tell you a story!

Edited by wasted

I don't seem to have phases. It's like Prison Break, I jump the fence and run with Sawdust/The Killers but I get shotdown by Warden Shackler at the second perimeter, with flashlights and helicopters all over my ass. I think somewhere inside CD there is a map of how to escape. CD II maybe have some clues, I'm not sure.

CD I & II seem like two doors at the opposite ends of a long dark corridor, I came in Door I and in the distance I can see a light which maybe by Door II.

Guest gunns5

if cd1 is the life raft, then cd2 must be the island, and cd3 will be the rescue choppers/planes. We need something to smoothly transition to, and I agree with Wasted, no other album has the effect where you just totally lose yourself in the moments in the songs.

I start singing a song of a day from chinese democracy, and without even remembering what song im singing the lyrics from. I have to wait to sing more of it before it finally clicks, the album is just an endless tirade that is both emotional and lucidity.

Edited by gunns5

CD is the only album that stays in my 6 CD stacker in my car. The rest come and go, but Chinese Democracy stays in there. I've even taken out Death Magnetic and Endgame(megadeth's new one) out, thats how much i love the album.

and it could potentially get worse/better or more epic to experince if it becomes a double or triple album as you'd have to expience I before listening to II. Like with Kill Bill 1 & 2, you can try to watch one alone but you always feel like you didn't really experience the whole thing.

"the album is just an endless tirade that is both emotional and lucidity." it is that maddening complexity that gives it a fascinating quality. I read one review where it said it was perfect for iphone generation where people have access to music at all times, it's like very intense and emotional elevator music. It isn't really complex for no reason, it's only at first it seems like that, like Angel Dust it actually all pretty simple really. Once you get inside, but it's diffcult to leave. It's like digging a hole and then looking up and realising you forgot to hang a rope down so you can climb out.

Guest gunns5

its simple once you get use to the complexity of it (if that makes sense). Once you understand what the album is about, you realize that the extra loud moments in it (like just after the intro of scraped) that the album is constantly full of surprises that just keep smacking you in the face when you least expect it to. Even though each song might not be perfect, it fits in with the album, as each song makes up 1 piece of the puzzle that is chinese D.

and it could potentially get worse/better or more epic to experince if it becomes a double or triple album as you'd have to expience I before listening to II. Like with Kill Bill 1 & 2, you can try to watch one alone but you always feel like you didn't really experience the whole thing.

"the album is just an endless tirade that is both emotional and lucidity." it is that maddening complexity that gives it a fascinating quality. I read one review where it said it was perfect for iphone generation where people have access to music at all times, it's like very intense and emotional elevator music. It isn't really complex for no reason, it's only at first it seems like that, like Angel Dust it actually all pretty simple really. Once you get inside, but it's diffcult to leave. It's like digging a hole and then looking up and realising you forgot to hang a rope down so you can climb out.

I now I'm Buzz Killington right now, but I haven't listened to the album in quite a few months now. I don't know, I'm not dissing it, I love that album, it's really really really good, but right now I'm not focused on it, not by any means. I don't have the urge to listen to it, I think I wouldn't even feel the album if I'd make myself listen to it now, but I'm sure I'll give it a few spins right before I hopefully see GNR in Arnhem this summer! ;)

Another thing is, I don't see that album as a summer album. It really isn't, so maybe it's kinda hard for me to get in the right mood for CD now.

I have been listening to this album on a daily basis since its release.

And I used to hate Axl and NuGnR til Ron joined and the TWAT leak. Used to think Chinese was one of the biggest joke of the music industry. The TWAT leak really changed my perception of the band. Then, the album...

I still listen to some other stuff but because of CD, I can't listen to Nine Inch Nails anymore ( and that was my favourite band for the last 8 years ). And yes, I know that their style is different but to me CD is similar to The Fragile in many ways. The Fragile was my favourite album and CD just took a huge crap on it in my mind, so now I can't listen to it anymore.

Yes, I've been stuck with this CD album and like the other guy said the new album CDII will get over it.

I'm working on the Mercedes-Benz AMG website here in the Middle East and I uploaded some CD songs as my testing files. I'll be removing them once the website is officially launched.

AMG-KSA BLOG

http://juffali-amg.com/amgblog/musicList.php?pg=musicnew

AMG-SITE KSA

http://www.juffali-amg.com/ksa-beta/#/home

I'm also having a Dhinese Democracy period. It's been stuck in my car and in the stereo in the house for a long time. Right now it's like I can't listening to anything else. I always stop it to put on CD. Maybe it's because all the news about GNR in Europe now, I don't know.. But it's a perfect album, I bet that's the reason ;)

CD did inspire me to get a stereo, I had pretty much given up on any band coming up with anything to top what they did in the past, so many band's were either spinning their wheels or forming supergroups which seemed to lack a real reason to exist, other than for chicks and cash. Not that I didn't enjoy Audioslave, Pearl Jam, Oasis records. But it was a bit "as you were". I appreciate that CD tries to do something bigger, different and it doesn't fall on it's face, it pretty much works out great. CD is the same as when NIN came out and people said "NIN make Megadeth sound like pussies" it's not quite the same but Shackler's, Riad, Better, Scraped make NIN seem a bit pedestrian, I'm not sure how they did it, maybe injected some more rock n roll into, maybe slightly better lyrics/vocalsm, it's just a bit wilder, more colourful than just machines fucking animals. Angel Dust used to be the record I thought as something a bit special, rewrote the book. To me CD destroyed it, made it look almost one dimensional. For samples in metal FNM had to be pretty pioneering, if only in taking more mainstream than the Young Gods. Other thing I wonder about is the tick-tacky, toe tappiness of CD, was that by design? So that it sounds good on an iphone or laptop speakers. CD gets it for being muzak from purists, but some of the genius of it, either by accident or design, is that it mimics/reflects this ear candy, cherry picking age. There's a cuteness amongst the techno and thunder. Radiohead come to mind but it didn't have this manic south park retro 90s vibe, CD is pretty funny as well. wasted out.