Is Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal a Prodigy?

TheFormerSoul

Seriously, what on Earth are you talking about dude? The truth hurts? You mean your opinion that you try to pass off as the absolute truth? That truth? Yeah, good try buddy.

Hey, take it easy Indianna...apparently we have different views on this. And your opinion isn´t surely the only in here either.

Some people like the funky-shreddy-vibe of Bumblefoot.

Some people like the melodic way of Buckethead playing.

I am clear on my opinion, and that is that Bucketheads playing fitted more in the band. It brought energy to the band, and a kind of modern feeling.

I do consider these notions irrelevant to the topic at hand (as well as my own personal preference between these two guitar players). This thread isn't about Buckethead either. I'm not quite sure why he was brought into this. I just want Dave to quantify why Ron is not able to do the things that Dave asserts Ron cannot do. I challenged him to display his argument without relegating to personal insults or insinuations about others. After all, if he has such strong opinions about said topic then he must be able to fully defend himself against those whom he disagrees with. This is the reason why I made that post. I do believe you have misunderstood me.

Edited by IndiannaRose

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paco de Lucia is great, but I wouldn't say that he's better than Ron and Buckethead. Look, he's a great acoustic guy, but do you think that he'd do fine on the fretless, or doing legato or thimble tapping licks at the highest speeds? Guthrie Govan is at least as good technically as Ron, they are friends and he's so fucking diverse as well. Ron even pointed him as the best guitarist of the world - look, Ron Thal knows a huge amount of guitar players, he's got perfect pitch and a photographic memory for music so he knows what he's talking about. They're both extremely great fretless guitar players, can play anything and reach (at least near) the highest speeds while being extremely clean. They're on the same league that Shawn Lane is, not Buckethead's or Steve Vai's league. Govan and Thal are probably the best (eletric?) guitarists alive. It's not only my oppinion, I've seen people that do know every of your favorite guitar players and don't use Dave's ridiculous arguments to prove their point. They actually have reasons to say and think that Ron and Govan are the best and most interesting living guitarists. But yea, some of you would call his playing "guitar-wanky".

Ron's discography speaks for itself. He's widely known as the "new Zappa" for a reason. You may not like his notes choices, but he's extremely competent at what he does. And he does everything - from complex and different rhythm riffs to inventive licks and technical yet melodic solos. His vocal range is so big that the guy can sing Rob Halford and Sebastian Bach songs without a problem. He can sing opera for fuck's sake!

I'm not talking about the subjective part of his guitar playing and songwriting. I'm talking about the objective side of the things, I'm showing facts.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

Guest siliconmessiah

Paco de Lucia is great, but I wouldn't say that he's better than Ron and Buckethead. Look, he's a great acoustic guy, but do you think that he'd do fine on the fretless, or doing legato or thimble tapping licks at the highest speeds? Guthrie Govan is at least as good technically as Ron, they are friends and he's so fucking diverse as well. Ron even pointed him as the best guitarist of the world - look, Ron Thal knows a huge amount of guitar players, he's got perfect pitch and a photographic memory for music so he knows what he's talking about. They're both extremely great fretless guitar players, can play anything and reach (at least near) the highest speeds while being extremely clean. They're on the same league that Shawn Lane is, not Buckethead's or Steve Vai's league. Govan and Thal are probably the best (eletric?) guitarists alive. It's not only my oppinion, I've seen people that do know every of your favorite guitar players and don't use Dave's ridiculous arguments to prove their point. They actually have reasons to say and think that Ron and Govan are the best and most interesting living guitarists. But yea, some of you would call his playing "guitar-wanky".

Ron's discography speaks for itself. He's widely known as the "new Zappa" for a reason. You may not like his notes choices, but he's extremely competent at what he does. And he does everything - from complex and different rhythm riffs to inventive licks and technical yet melodic solos. His vocal range is so big that the guy can sing Rob Halford and Sebastian Bach songs without a problem. He can sing opera for fuck's sake!

I'm not talking about the subjective part of his guitar playing and songwriting. I'm talking about the objective side of the things, I'm showing facts.

No offense at all man...but your "objective side of things", "showing facts", just killed the interesting momentum-discussion of this thread. Sometimes it´s better to shut up.

I personally couldn´t care less if Bumblefoot SINGS Halford and Sebastian Bach songs. If I wanna listen to Halford or Bach, I simply listen to THEM.

He could sing like fuckin´ Lady Gaga (who actually is a good singer), and I couldn´t care less.

As it comes to Bumblefoot, I am more interested in what he can do with his guitar in Guns N Roses. And he is still to prove me that he can do a better job than Buckethead.

THIS IS FUCKING EPIC, ESPECIALLY AT 2.45...IT`S THE MODERN, ENERGETIC MONSTROSITY THAT I WANTED GUNS N ROSES TO BECOME:

Edited by siliconmessiah

Ron's discography speaks for itself. He's widely known as the "new Zappa" for a reason.

Do you smoke crack everyday now? :rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

You're funny, kid.

It's actually a pretty widely held view amongst many circles that pre-dates his exposure from GN'R.

Ron's discography speaks for itself. He's widely known as the "new Zappa" for a reason.

Do you smoke crack everyday now? :rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

You're funny, kid.

It's actually a pretty widely held view amongst many circles that pre-dates his exposure from GN'R.

Must be some nerdy fuckin circles. Goll. BBF probly responded to their e-mails and done some major ass kissing. HES SUCH A NICE GUY................

Ron has been called a "Heavy Metal version of Frank Zappa," according to my google search. I've never bothered with Zappa so I can't exactly explain what that might mean. Wacky in a satirical sort of way would be my guess though.

Edited by ITW 2012

No offense at all man...but your "objective side of things", "showing facts", just killed the interesting momentum-discussion of this thread. Sometimes it´s better to shut up.

I personally couldn´t care less if Bumblefoot SINGS Halford and Sebastian Bach songs. If I wanna listen to Halford or Bach, I simply listen to THEM.

He could sing like fuckin´ Lady Gaga (who actually is a good singer), and I couldn´t care less.

As it comes to Bumblefoot, I am more interested in what he can do with his guitar in Guns N Roses. And he is still to prove me that he can do a better job than Buckethead.

THIS IS FUCKING EPIC, ESPECIALLY AT 2.45...IT`S THE MODERN, ENERGETIC MONSTROSITY THAT I WANTED GUNS N ROSES TO BECOME:

I still cant see how Ron's Nightrain solos are in essence any different to these. They are both essentially shredding :shrugs:

Yeah....reminds me how Buckethead fanbois get all angry when Slash fanbois tell them that Buckethead sucks because he has no emotion.

Now butthurt Buckethead fanbois say the same about Bumblefoot...

Move along, nothing to see here...

Seriously, what on Earth are you talking about dude? The truth hurts? You mean your opinion that you try to pass off as the absolute truth? That truth? Yeah, good try buddy.

Hey, take it easy Indianna...apparently we have different views on this. And your opinion isn´t surely the only in here either.

I am clear on my opinion, and that is that Bucketheads playing fitted more in the band. It brought energy to the band, and a kind of modern feeling.

I do consider these notions irrelevant to the topic at hand (as well as my own personal preference between these two guitar players). This thread isn't about Buckethead either. I'm not quite sure why he was brought into this. I just want Dave to quantify why Ron is not able to do the things that Dave asserts Ron cannot do. I challenged him to display his argument without relegating to personal insults or insinuations about others. After all, if he has such strong opinions about said topic then he must be able to fully defend himself against those whom he disagrees with. This is the reason why I made that post. I do believe you have misunderstood me.

Ron cant do them because all you have to do is LISTEN to him BUTCHER SLASH and BUCKETHEADS parts.

He could NEVER play a good melodic KOHD solo and that is EASY.

Maybe if you would just use your ears instead of thinking what a nice guy Ron is because he talks to the fans then you would see this.

Ron cannot play anything that is melodic and his playing is cold and heartless. It has been proven time and time again.

And even the clips people try to disprove this back up my point.

Ron is far from a prodigy

Ron cant do them because all you have to do is LISTEN to him BUTCHER SLASH and BUCKETHEADS parts.

Maybe if you would just use your ears instead of thinking what a nice guy Ron is because he talks to the fans then you would see this.

Ron cannot play anything that is melodic and his playing is cold and heartless. It has been proven time and time again.

Wow reading through Indiannas posts it is easy to see how he called Ron a good guy and asking to you to respond to that :rolleyes:

You've now crossed the line from trying to make a point to just posting blatantly untrue things. Most of the discussion "against" your view has been logical and people have backed what they've said up. You on the other hand, continually post the same drivel over and over again and you fail to address any of the points put forward by others.

Either make a new point Dave or stop posting in this section. There are other sections where you can discuss Buckethead and frankly, you've derailed this thread far enough. I've spoken to you before about having respect for other people's views... this is exactly the sort of posting I'm referring to. It may not be trolling, it may not be insulting, but it is against the rules to continue posting the way you have been after being asked to either tone it down or post in other threads.

I've stuck my neck out for you to stay for long enough and frankly I don't see enough of a change to warrant doing so anymore. I'd advise you to leave this thread (and others about BBF) alone unless you have something constructive to post. The overwhelming majority of people posting in this thread are Bumblefoot fans - it's fine to post in here if you don't like him, but 33 of the posts in this thread (more than double anybody else's) are you repeating yourself. Stop.

You've now crossed the line from trying to make a point to just posting blatantly untrue things. Most of the discussion "against" your view has been logical and people have backed what they've said up. You on the other hand, continually post the same drivel over and over again and you fail to address any of the points put forward by others.

Either make a new point Dave or stop posting in this section. There are other sections where you can discuss Buckethead and frankly, you've derailed this thread far enough. I've spoken to you before about having respect for other people's views... this is exactly the sort of posting I'm referring to. It may not be trolling, it may not be insulting, but it is against the rules to continue posting the way you have been after being asked to either tone it down or post in other threads.

I've stuck my neck out for you to stay for long enough and frankly I don't see enough of a change to warrant doing so anymore. I'd advise you to leave this thread (and others about BBF) alone unless you have something constructive to post. The overwhelming majority of people posting in this thread are Bumblefoot fans - it's fine to post in here if you don't like him, but 33 of the posts in this thread (more than double anybody else's) are you repeating yourself. Stop.

I wouldnt have to keep making the same point if people didnt keep asking the same questions.

But of course you failed to point that out. And I am not posting anything that isnt true.

Yeah most of the points against my view are logical, that is laughable, why is that because you agree with them?

I have already backed up my points, and I even pointed out the so called clips trying to disprove my point actually prove my point.

And i LOVE how you let all the people with the opposite view of me take personal shots and spam this thread but of course you didnt say shit about that. You do know the rules should be followed by EVERYONE not just the people that agree with you POV or did you forget that?

And if someone is going to ask a question like, then dont get pissy when you dont get an answer you dont like.

AS for me posting double anyone else, well that is because I have double the people quoting my posts.

And when of course ignore some of them because they keep asking someone I already answered they get all pissy.

Amazing vid!!! That's exactly why I cannot understand why someone would hate on good ol BH. He's absolutely one of the most unique and greatest guitarist to ever set foot on planet earth. :heart:

I wouldnt have to keep making the same point if people didnt keep asking the same questions.

But of course you failed to point that out. And I am not posting anything that isnt true.

Yeah most of the points against my view are logical, that is laughable, why is that because you agree with them?

I have already backed up my points, and I even pointed out the so called clips trying to disprove my point actually prove my point.

And i LOVE how you let all the people with the opposite view of me take personal shots and spam this thread but of course you didnt say shit about that. You do know the rules should be followed by EVERYONE not just the people that agree with you POV or did you forget that?

And if someone is going to ask a question like, then dont get pissy when you dont get an answer you dont like.

AS for me posting double anyone else, well that is because I have double the people quoting my posts.

And when of course ignore some of them because they keep asking someone I already answered they get all pissy.

Dave, what you're posting is purely an opinion, not fact - however, it's one that you feel the need to ram down people's throats. Your method of posting is incendiary and to be honest, I'm not going to delete posts where people call you a "tool" because you're more or less asking for people to do that. If you come into a fan forum and continually bash the lead guitarist of that band, then I have no sympathy for people calling you names like that.

No you haven't backed up a single thing you've said. All you've managed to say over and over and over again is that BBF "butchers" every solo he tries to play. I don't really care if that's what you think. I (and from what I can see, almost everyone else here) disagrees with you. I couldn't give two hoots if he's nice to his fans or not - in my view, he's an amazing guitarist and a perfect fit for this band. You aren't contributing to this discussion - I'm not going to ask you not to post in this thread again. If you want to talk about Buckethead, go talk about him in FORMER GUNNERS. If you don't like Bumblefoot, don't make 34 posts in a thread about him that contribute nothing of value to the discussion. You've essentially made this topic impossible to read and for that alone I should be giving you a warning. I don't need to remind you that your next warning is going to result in an instant ban.

Dave, what you're posting is purely an opinion - one that you feel the need to ram down people's throats. Your method of posting is incendiary and to be honest, I'm not going to delete posts where people call you a "tool" because you're more or less asking for people to.

No you haven't backed up a single thing. All you've managed to say over and over and over again is that BBF "butchers" every solo he tries to play. I don't really care if that's what you think. I (and from what I can see, almost everyone else here) disagrees with you. I couldn't give two hoots if he's nice to his fans or not - in my view, he's an amazing guitarist and a perfect fit for this band. You aren't contributing to this discussion - I'm not going to ask you not to post in this thread again. If you want to talk about Buckethead, go talk about him in FORMER GUNNERS. If you don't like Bumblefoot, don't make 34 posts in a thread about him that contribute nothing of value to the discussion. You've essentially made this topic impossible to read and for that alone I should be giving you a warning.

So you pretty admit as long as you are super PRO Gnr or its band members its ok to call other forum members names.

That is nice to know coming from a Mod. I even put up a new sig for people that claim I like to post like its a fact yet people still ignore that.

And yes I have backed up everything but you and others just dont want to listen. All you have to do is use your ears.

As for almost everyone disagrees with me, didnt I already point that out and hows its funny its mostly people that were not even here in the BH era that disagree with me and mostly newbies?

And why is that? Its because that is who is currently in the band.

And its funny you would give me a warning yet not give anyone a warning for breaking the forum rules of taking personal shots but again that is ok since they are "defending" Ron.

Maybe if you would stop that stuff right when it happens and in other threads, threads would not get so out of hand. The last time I checked name calling was against the rules.

I have totally misunderstood the whole time. Of course Ron is a prodigy and a musical genuis, I see it so clear now. Guns N' Roses is nothing without him, his prodigy-contributions to this band are beyond my words. Ron is, and will always be the heart and soul of Guns N' Roses.

Shame on you GNR-Dave for having your own opinion :confused:

Guest siliconmessiah

I want to make love to this thread.

+1

One of the best threads in years. For about a year of lurking...I just couldn´t keep quiet anymore.

Holy shit, gnr-dave got banned?! Better keep my opinions about this bands guitarists to myself in the future. This is nazi style.

I have totally misunderstood the whole time. Of course Ron is a prodigy and a musical genuis, I see it so clear now. Guns N' Roses is nothing without him, his prodigy-contributions to this band are beyond my words. Ron is, and will always be the heart and soul of Guns N' Roses.

Shame on you GNR-Dave for having your own opinion :confused:

You'll probably notice that nobody else has been banned for "having an opinion" in this thread that's critical of Bumblefoot as a guitarist. Dave was asked more than once to stop posting in here (he's the top poster in this thread, I don't know if you have the time to wade through all 14 pages of it) but he's made his point many times and felt it necessary to criticise almost everyone who's posted anything remotely positive in relation to BBF.

There is a difference between posting an opinion and criticising everyone for posting one that differs to theirs dude. I've had a whole bunch of PMs from people complaining about dave for some time now, and it's been me that's defended him when other people have gone to ban him before. He had plenty of fair warning and despite his numerous pledges to modify his posting, he always ends up back at square one. I've run out of things with which to defend him staying.

Now everyone, please get back on topic. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. :)

I want to make love to this thread.

+1

One of the best threads in years. For about a year of lurking...I just couldn´t keep quiet anymore.

Holy shit, gnr-dave got banned?! Better keep my opinions about this bands guitarists to myself in the future. This is nazi style.

Be careful! I just wrote that now and "highvoltage" removed my post! I will probably get banned myself for telling, but the truth is the truth...

Just imagine if someone started a "Is Slash a prodigy" thread and if I went there and posted 35 messages saying that "no, Slash can't even play his own solos, which is why Axl replaced him with Bucket. Slash couldn't even play his own Nightrain solo. Bucket made this band 10 times better, how could Slash be a prodigy then ? Selling records doesn't mean shit, I mean Bucket's discography speaks for itself. Why do you think Axl refuses to have Slash play in this band to this day ? Use your head !"

Just imagine that, 40 times in a row....Oh and I'd be calling you a tool and clueless every time you would say anything positive about Slash.

There you go.

I don't agree with many things he says about GnR in general, because they are flat out wrong, but Dave was just replying to the posters replying to him.

Of course he has a right to reply to them and he always replied to the content of the one who was replying to his post.

How one can ban someone for that (basically demanding not to reply to someone who replied to you) is pretty odd.

And the one banning is, of course, a Bumblefoot fanatic who meets the guy personally. This is censorship in a communist style, like it or not. A forum is to discuss different opinions to the fullest extent. If you can't take the heat, move out of the kitchen instead of ejecting the others.

Edited by LLL