Is Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal a Prodigy?

TheFormerSoul

Who cares about all this technical bullshit? SCOM is an all time classic and will be played/remembered forever. I highly doubt there is anything in the Thal catalog that is as timeless as SCOM. There are thousands of youtube bedroom players better than anyone who has ever been in GNR but can they write a classic song?

SCOM is a timeless hit, it's not a timeless song. I hate most of the song in fact. A timeless song can be debated.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about all this technical bullshit? SCOM is an all time classic and will be played/remembered forever. I highly doubt there is anything in the Thal catalog that is as timeless as SCOM. There are thousands of youtube bedroom players better than anyone who has ever been in GNR but can they write a classic song?

Bucket's TWAT solo is the closest that GNR has come to that melody/vibe classic sound since the old band fell apart.

Is Thal a prodigy? Sure, technically speaking but get back to me when he contributes memorable material to GnR. Maybe he will on the next album ,who knows.

Well if we are talking about what constitutes a 'guitar prodigy' then technicality and proficiency in playing the instrument must be a major template for debate. Otherwise, we'd be speaking of influence.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Who cares about all this technical bullshit? Is this GNR or RUSH? SCOM is an all time classic and will be played/remembered forever. I highly doubt there is anything in the Thal catalog that is as timeless as SCOM. There are thousands of youtube bedroom players better than anyone who has ever been in GNR but can they write a classic song?

Bucket's TWAT solo is the closest that GNR has come to that melody/vibe/classic sound since the old band fell apart.

Is Thal a prodigy? Sure, technically speaking but get back to me when he contributes memorable material to GnR. Maybe he will on the next album ,who knows.

Is the Catcher in the Rye solo not "melody/vibe/classic sound" you are referring to?

As a fellow guitar player and fan of music I have listened to alot of different guitar players over the years. After getting into and following the new lineup of players in guns n roses, I checked out solo efforts from pretty much every member because well, they are fantastic musicians. Anyways...

I bought "Normal" a while back and a bit of other material from bumble's discography and quickly became a follower and fan. I was astounded not only by the sheer large amount of musical ground Ron could cover easily, but his ability in improvisation and technique. He can hear anything in his head and play it on the spot. Change key, no problem he can transpose it on the fly.

Every guitar player has signature licks that they lean on when they solo, you start to hear them the more you listen to different players. In ron's case, he is so inconsistent and out of the box that everything he plays is different all the time. He doesn't rely on patterns primarilly. Even when he was a teenager, he could do most of the stuff he can do now.

I think even without comparing him to other guitar players, he is so gifted and at a level nobody has surpassed or come close

Yeah. BBF is a very good guitarist.

One of the greatest topics of all time thanks to dave being a retard.

Let me just stop this foolish arguing by posting a few vids of Bumble.....Im a huge fan of his and have been before he was in GnR so.....

Lots of soul here too

And some funk for good measure

By the way, not taking anything away from Buckethead, he is about even with me with Bumble, but some of Buckets albums are Hit/miss while all bumbles albums are all hit. But then again Bumble only has 9 albums while Bucket has millions.

He'll ignore all of this. He ignored everything I said about Bumble's playing on Chi Dem - he's of course ignoring Catcher outro for that matter, yet he says that Scraped solo is a shred solo.

Just to add a few aud/vids...

ftp://ftp.bunglefever.com/pub/Bumblefoot/Bumblefoot%20-%20TJonez_Unplugged.mp3

ftp://ftp.bunglefever.com/pub/Bumblefoot/RonThal-rawsolo-Bumblefoot-Uncool-IHateMe.mp3

The solo of the song Breaking has something that Dave would never, ever understand. While the lead guitar solo goes to its craziest part, the rhythm guitar does the melodic part of the song. Genius.

Who cares about all this technical bullshit? Is this GNR or RUSH? SCOM is an all time classic and will be played/remembered forever. I highly doubt there is anything in the Thal catalog that is as timeless as SCOM. There are thousands of youtube bedroom players better than anyone who has ever been in GNR but can they write a classic song?

Bucket's TWAT solo is the closest that GNR has come to that melody/vibe/classic sound since the old band fell apart.

Is the Catcher in the Rye solo not "melody/vibe/classic sound" you are referring to?

Not the way Ron played it, he butchered it and made a classic song into shit.

That is what Ron does best in gnr, make timeless songs crap with his crappy playing

Not the way Ron played it, he butchered it and made a classic song into shit.

That is what Ron does best in gnr, make timeless songs crap with his crappy playing

:rofl-lol: Your argument gets more eloquent and sophisticated with every post you make....

Let me just stop this foolish arguing by posting a few vids of Bumble.....Im a huge fan of his and have been before he was in GnR so.....

Lots of soul here too

By the way, not taking anything away from Buckethead, he is about even with me with Bumble, but some of Buckets albums are Hit/miss while all bumbles albums are all hit. But then again Bumble only has 9 albums while Bucket has millions.

He'll ignore all of this. He ignored everything I said about Bumble's playing on Chi Dem - he's of course ignoring Catcher outro for that matter, yet he says that Scraped solo is a shred solo.

Just to add a few aud/vids...

ftp://ftp.bunglefever.com/pub/Bumblefoot/Bumblefoot%20-%20TJonez_Unplugged.mp3

ftp://ftp.bunglefever.com/pub/Bumblefoot/RonThal-rawsolo-Bumblefoot-Uncool-IHateMe.mp3

The solo of the song Breaking has something that Dave would never, ever understand. While the lead guitar solo goes to its craziest part, the rhythm guitar does the melodic part of the song. Genius.

Bumblefoot CANT play melodic, and the clips you keep showing keep backing me up.

You dont even know what melodic is, you keep showing me shitty clips.

AT least posting something good for god sakes. Yeah and its something I would never under LOL

I can tell what is melodic and what isnt, its not rocket science. That is why you bring up the bullshit like oh I dont understand it LOL good one.

Its laughable to even think Ron is in the same class as BH or even Slash.

I dont care how technical ron is or how fast he can play, that doesnt mean he can play something soulful or heartfelt.

Rons so called melodic solos you keep pointing out are not even close to being melodic, its just Ron butchering solos

Its just a joke you guys are so hard for Ron its because he is the current guitarist.

The funny thing is, when he was first rumored back in 2004 most people were bashing him and said how much he sucked.

Its just funny now that he is Axls hired hand people claim he is great. LOL

If Ron was the one who were the bucket on his head and Brian Carol was the new lead guitarist the same people bashing BH would love him and would being saying how Ron isnt even close to being as good as Brian Carol.

The only reason people like you claim Ron is better is because he is the current member and BH looks different.

Its because most of the gnr fans on this board are posers and care more about looks than actual ability

Edited by gnr-dave

Some of you love Ron and others not as much.

There's no reason to fight about this! This kind of thread makes me smile

because I know that there's always the same 2 or 3 members who keeps those threads

alive by insulting each other.

You know what I hate the most out of these threads? It's draining my Blackberry battery down

because some members here feels that if someone doesn't agree with them, them feel the needs

to report it. *Looking at you Dave ;) *

Lots of soul here too

BH is way more diverse than Ron, BH experiments a lot with his music, while most of Rons stuff is the same old boring BS.

Plus BH can play anything Ron cannot. Ron can just shred and thats about it. Who cares that he can play superfast if he has no feeling.

BH has songs that will tug on your emotions, Rons stuff is all mindless BS or silly crap.

BH is way more diverse than Ron, BH experiments a lot with his music, while most of Rons stuff is the same old boring BS.

Plus BH can play anything Ron cannot. Ron can just shred and thats about it. Who cares that he can play superfast if he has no feeling.

BH has songs that will tug on your emotions, Rons stuff is all mindless BS or silly crap.

What tugs on your emotions is completely subjective and individual.

But we get it. You're not a fan of BBF. You're a big fan of BH.

Not everyone shares your sentiment.

Nuff said.

Lots of soul here too

Okay it's clear to me you haven't listened to any of Rons past stuff. It's also clear to me that you are retarted, to I'll have to just accept that. You aren't a musician so I hav no idea where you're going with this dumbass no melody shit because I have a video of Bumble playing fucking Chopin and you still say he has not melody. Join the special olympics and do diving or something in which people can understand you and you know what the fuck they are talking about. Bumble is as diverse if not moreso that Bucket. Bumble has done everything from Death metal, lounge music, jazz, punk, altern rock, hard rock, acustic things, blues, rap, everything. Sure Bucket has better guitar writing chops and better sound, but the diverty stuff is Bullshit.

Lots of soul here too

This just proves that you've paid absolutely no attention to any of these clips... or anything anyone has said in this thread bar what you think you can exploit to turn your tired and failing argument around. It's not "mindless BS" you couldn't begin to comprehend the ideas behind it.

"all he can do is play fast." I would accept this argument if Ron flew around the pentatonic scale at 240bpm adding in the occasional blues note and nothing else. But the fact stands that his music's full of modes, time changes, modulations, legato and staccato sections, the use of the thimble to get higher notes on the fretboard etc. That directly contradicts what you've said, and that's a fact, not an opinion. Some of Ron's albums are hugely experiemental, take Uncool where he made his guitar sound like a flute....

If he played superfast and had no feeling, I wouldn't defend him, just like I didn't defend the mistakes Robin made when he was in the band.

Do you see what I did there Dave? I addressed the points you made in your post. I didn't just quote your post and without actually acknowledging anything that had been said claim that you had "zero credibility."

It's getting to the stage where everyone else, even (Nintari and GNRxSTARx) is constructing intelligent arguments and you're in the corner yelling "FUCKTY MC FUCK FUCK! NOT LISTENING, CAN'T CONVINCE ME!!!!"

Lots of soul here too

I care about actual ability. I have a BA in Music. I love Buckethead and have pretty mich all of his albums.

I actually prefer listening to BH's music more than Ron's because it tends to be heavier. HOWEVER Ron is the clearly better guitarist with FAR more diversity. And that's why I generally like BH more than BBF. I know what I'm getting with BH. I get a creative guitarist who has his own distinct style and attempts to play stuff in different styles but in the end just ends up sounding like BH, which is GREAT.

Ron is a complete master of the Guitar. I look at BH and I get inspired. I watch Ron and I want to quit guitar. BH actually isn't THAT good compared to many other guitar players out there, including Ron.

You see, unlike SOME people I don't look at Music as all or nothing. I can like Slash, BH and BBF for different reasons. It's childish to insult someone based on taste because Music is such a personal thing.

That said Paco De Lucia is better than all 3 put together... but you would probly call this mindless shred...

Oh yea, Bumble is a much better technical guitarist than Bucket. Ehh maybe "much" is too strong of a word since Buckets sweeps are cleaner than Rons but I have to say, Bumbles tapping is most likely the cleanest and most impressive I have ever seen.

Lots of soul here too

I care about actual ability. I have a BA in Music. I love Buckethead and have pretty mich all of his albums.

I actually prefer listening to BH's music more than Ron's because it tends to be heavier. HOWEVER Ron is the clearly better guitarist with FAR more diversity. And that's why I generally like BH more than BBF. I know what I'm getting with BH. I get a creative guitarist who has his own distinct style and attempts to play stuff in different styles but in the end just ends up sounding like BH, which is GREAT.

Ron is a complete master of the Guitar. I look at BH and I get inspired. I watch Ron and I want to quit guitar. BH actually isn't THAT good compared to many other guitar players out there, including Ron.

You see, unlike SOME people I don't look at Music as all or nothing. I can like Slash, BH and BBF for different reasons. It's childish to insult someone based on taste because Music is such a personal thing.

That said Paco De Lucia is better than all 3 put together... but you would probly call this mindless shred...

BH is way more diverse than Ron. Just look at their albums. Bhs are always all different, Ron does most of the same on all his albums. He may have a few here and there where he strays from his normal, but come on now.

Ron may be able to play FASTER than BH, but that doesnt mean anything. BH can play with much more feeling and that is what counts.

And Ron cant be that much of a master when he doesnt play melodically. That is by far his weakest thing. Ron is good at playing fast, and at playing guitar gymnastics, but that does not mean jack when you cannot play with any feeling.

AND BH isnt that good compared to other guitar players LOL. That is really a good one. Ron is much better than Ron all around.

Ron can just play faster, but that is only one component. Ron cant even cover BHs parts well, yet Ron is better LOL

Ron can barely cover slashs parts well.

Lots of soul here too

BH is way more diverse than Ron. Just look at their albums. Bhs are always all different, Ron does most of the same on all his albums. He may have a few here and there where he strays from his normal, but come on now.

Ron may be able to play FASTER than BH, but that doesnt mean anything. BH can play with much more feeling and that is what counts.

And Ron cant be that much of a master when he doesnt play melodically. That is by far his weakest thing. Ron is good at playing fast, and at playing guitar gymnastics, but that does not mean jack when you cannot play with any feeling.

AND BH isnt that good compared to other guitar players LOL. That is really a good one. Ron is much better than Ron all around.

Ron can just play faster, but that is only one component. Ron cant even cover BHs parts well, yet Ron is better LOL

What the fuck? You did not address any of the points that Evil Ernie made in his post. Why did you even quote him? All you ever say in your argument is words like "faster", "melodic", or "emotion". You offer very little analytical input in your retorts. You just keep recycling the same arrogant, stubborn claims while ignoring the specifics that people have pointed out in order to challenge your 'argument'.

I am beginning to think that you have some serious social disorder. This is...this is just unreal...

How can you be so ignorant?

Edited by IndiannaRose

BBF is terrible, He has zero stage presence. Nobody in the crowd cares about him except guitar nerds. His solo gets the least reaction. Thats why he plays Don't Cry, so he can get a cheap reaction from the crowd. He may be a technicaly gifted guitarist but it dosn't matter. I listened to 2 of his albums and it was one of the worst expriences of my life. Bucket shits all over him. Buckethead has more feeling, writes better songs and is more diverse. You people just like Ron cause hes a nice guy. Look past this facade, he's actually a terrible guitarist trying to impress everyone. Well i'm not easily impressed by mindless guitar or nice emails. So no, he is not a prodigy. The only prodigy Guns has ever had is Bucket.

Lots of soul here too

What the fuck? You did not address any of the points that Evil Ernie made in his post. Why did you even quote him? All you ever say in your argument is words like "faster", "melodic", or "emotion". You offer very little analytical input in your retorts. You just keep recycling the same arrogant, stubborn claims while ignoring the specifics that people have pointed out in order to challenge your 'argument'.

I am beginning to think that you have some serious social disorder. This is...this is just unreal...

I am sorry the truth hurts but Ron isnt as good as buckethead.

Its ok to admit it, we all know "Ron is a nice guy" but that doesnt mean jack when it comes to guitar ability.

You should take a reading comprehension class, I did address his points. If you cant see that then maybe you are the one with the social disorder .

So many people on this board claim to love the album, so they all know the majority of the best solos and guitar spots are BH.

The worst are by Ron. And most of Rons additions are just generic noodling that does not even fit in the context of the songs.

Ron is a very generic guitar player, and he is a bore. BH is much more talented and fun to watch and listen to.

BHs solos actually having feeling to them. Where as Rons are just mindless shredding. Ron was easily the worst choice Axl could ever have picked and now we are stuck with him.

Its really sad how far this bands talent has fallen since 2002

Edited by gnr-dave

Guest siliconmessiah

Haven´t been here for a while, but has to stick with Buckethead on this one.

Ron is a cool cat, great for the band and technically gifted. But hey...come on guys!

Just watch a clip of Buckethead doing the Nightrain solo from 2002 and you´ll see that it´s better than both Bumblefoot and Slash put together. And bear in mind here that I´m 27 and "grew up" with Slash!

Buckethead could easily find the fluid melody in the solos, making it great to listen too. Bumblefoot is great in his special way and it´s great to have him aboard. He did a great job when I saw GNR in 2006.

But anyhow you try to put it, Buckethead is better.

Edited by siliconmessiah

The thing I find most interesting is most of the people that think BH is better are the long time posters (I said most not all) and most of the posters that think Ron is better are newbies.

It makes me wonder if these newbies were even fans when BH was in the band.

Ron would be much better suited for just rythmn, since his soloing is not that good. The best Axl could do would be having both BH and DJ and of course Brain.

LOL... I just saw in the latest post line the part of "Is Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal"... not the last part. So I kinda figured that this thread would be "Is Ron Thal Gay?"- I guess he isn't.

A Prodigy? Dunno, but THE Prodigy sucks.

Buckethead rules!

Edited by Teroz

Lots of soul here too

I am sorry the truth hurts but Ron isnt as good as buckethead.

Its ok to admit it, we all know "Ron is a nice guy" but that doesnt mean jack when it comes to guitar ability.

You should take a reading comprehension class, I did address his points. If you cant see that then maybe you are the one with the social disorder .

Seriously, what on Earth are you talking about dude? The truth hurts? You mean your opinion that you try to pass off as the absolute truth? That truth? Yeah, good try buddy.

In addition to that, you assume my stance on this issue just by the mere fact that I question your ability to formulate a cohesive, rational argument. How do you support such arrogant actions? I want you to tell me something about Ron's playing ability without injecting references to Axl or 'common sense'. Give me something with credibility. Describe his playing how a musician would describe his playing. Give me an analysis on Ron's playing without using the terms "faster" and/or "with emotion".

Tell me, how does a guitar player accurately display emotion on his guitar? Is the Blues the only way to achieve this? What scale and what technique does Ron use that would negate such 'melodic' playing? Really, I'd like to hear your answers. After all, isn't this a debate that we're going after?

Edited by IndiannaRose

Guest siliconmessiah

Seriously, what on Earth are you talking about dude? The truth hurts? You mean your opinion that you try to pass off as the absolute truth? That truth? Yeah, good try buddy.

Hey, take it easy Indianna...apparently we have different views on this. And your opinion isn´t surely the only in here either.

Some people like the funky-shreddy-vibe of Bumblefoot.

Some people like the melodic way of Buckethead playing.

I am clear on my opinion, and that is that Bucketheads playing fitted more in the band. It brought energy to the band, and a kind of modern feeling.