Five million copies of CD sold? Maybe not...

Nintari

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most expensive album ever made should sell more than 5-6 million copies.

CD is the Waterworld of the music industry, not the Titanic.

I guess ya ignore the fact that they recorded like 3 albums worth of material that will see the light of the day someday. Who said it should sell more? Only ya's, the haters of the new band. We're not posers like Britney Spears fans thinking the album should sell more than 6 million copies to be considered an amazing album. Sorry if you're like that - and I happen to think that you, Nintari, BBA and some others are.

http://popdirt.com/why-did-invincible-cost-30-million/814/

Invincible by Michael Jackson cost 30 million bucks.

Now, please stop spreading your bullshit in this forum. :)

Hah, funny to see those haters being owned time after time. I guess they have to find new arguments by now :xmasssanta:

http://popdirt.com/why-did-invincible-cost-30-million/814/

Invincible by Michael Jackson cost 30 million bucks.

Now, please stop spreading your bullshit in this forum. :)

Yep, You lose again Sunny. Stop posting about a band that you hate so much, do you really have no other hobbies...

Edited by Young_Gun

we dont know if CD was the most expensive album ever and we probably will never know till cold hard facts are released, so yea dont take those "oh it cost 15 million" website posts to seriously. CD could very well have cost 30 million or mabye just 15 but the point is we dont know. Although without a doubt I would be willing to say CD is in the top tier of expensive albums ever made thats a given.

And on to the topic of what that one guy post earlier about CD being the most expensive album ever and so should have sold more than 5 million, .....well there are years to come for CD to build on sales first of all, and more importantly CD IS NOT JUST 14 SONGS, this X amount of money was spent on MANY ALBUMS OF MATERIAL. So you would really have to combine all the money or sales from all this material once released to judge this better. And so if lets say 4 albums of CD era material are released over the next 8 years or whatever and they all go on to sell lets say 5 mil each thats 20 million total. Now wouldnt you have said CD selling 20 million would be a success especially considering the era of downloading music were in? See my point guys? Speaking before you think is like shooting before you aim, it's just dumb :)

Edited by amacfantasy

Cool, that he took the time to look into something that has been debated time and time again on this board.

Agree. Look, this was the most anticipated album of all time and we have gone over everything to do with it at one point or another. The sales of the album are a perfectly reasonable subject that may or may not interest you specifically but generate a conversation on a forum (that's what we're here for right?) If a subject doesn't interest you, don't read that thread. If someone takes the time to go fact checking that's pretty cool in my book. Of course, I don't know, care, or question a posters motivations because I don't do forum politics and I already know for myself what I like, don't like and am interested in knowing about. Putting aside any personal issues any have with OP I applaud follow-up and fact checking.

Edited by mcalldp

Sorry if you're like that - and I happen to think that you, Nintari, BBA and some others are.

I don't care HOW many copies CD sold. I'm just tired of the the fanboy lies and delusional/false information that they spread. If CD sold 5 million copies, then post a credible link that we can all see. If you can't do that, shut the hell up about it and post something else.

There's way too much make believe going on these days and that's the only reason I made this thread. Someone needs to hold these people accountable for their fabricated and often outright false information.

Edited by Nintari

Sorry if you're like that - and I happen to think that you, Nintari, BBA and some others are.

I don't care HOW many copies CD sold. I'm just tired of the the fanboy lies and delusional/false information that they spread. If CD sold 5 million copies, then post a credible link that we can all see. If you can't do that, shut the hell up about it and post something else.

There's way too much make believe going on these days and that's the only reason I made this thread. Someone needs to hold these people accountable for their fabricated and often outright false information.

Yea, thanks for taking the time. I love New GNR and all I care about in terms of sales is that they sold one copy to me. Still, if I read about how many copies were sold and it says 5 million and that's wrong, I appreciate someone correcting the information as I'm too lazy to do it myself but do prefer to have accurate info.

Edited by mcalldp

Think this is probably getting a little heated.

I don't think Sunny was talking in the most literal of terms and he does have a point, as does the OP. At the end of the day, this was an extremely expensive album any way that you look at it, and sales were lacklustre - Axl himself has conceeded this in the court papers filed against Azoff. It's not fair to say it was a flop, because it wasn't, but there's no use pretending that it was a raging success because it wasn't that either. The album was good - great maybe even, but if you look at it objectively this wasn't reflected in it's sales. Blame it on promotion, blame it on it leaking, blame it on the myspace stream... the reasons may be arguable, but the end result is more or less a fact.

If you don't like a topic that's particularly negative then it's best that you stay out of it. Nintari has made a legitimate point without trolling or insulting anybody - I dont see any posts where he's gone off on anybody. I have to admit, I get annoyed reading negative topics by the same people myself because sometimes it's annoying to hear the same point hammered in over and over again and I'd rather focus on the positive things. But it's not your place to go out there and call someone a "fucking cunt" or whatever over it. If someone's post is making your blood boil, you're better off clicking onto another site for a while and chilling out.

I'll leave this open and the posts untouched for now, but please try to be respectful with one another and keep it on topic.

We've had two people claim CD has sold 5 million. The first claim, I discredited. The second hasn't been verified. Until that happens, it's just another claim, by another joe schmoe.

How exactly did you discredit the claim again? Because you think he made it up?

So, according to you, he drew the number out of thin air even though he gave a response to your question quite different than your conclusion. You are simply saying he's a liar. Could you please give an explanation to why you think so, preferably with a source or link that would back up these claims?

I don't know much about sales or the technicalities and whatnot, and until i can find a source for this it's probably irrelevant. But back when CD first came out, Best Buy bought 3 million copies, and at the time this was considered a smart business move by the band. So via other retailers the other 2 million couldve been accounted for? I don't know any better than anyone else here, that's just what I remember. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm stating the obvious, i don't know :lol:

We've had two people claim CD has sold 5 million. The first claim, I discredited. The second hasn't been verified. Until that happens, it's just another claim, by another joe schmoe.

So, according to you, he drew the number out of thin air even though he gave a response to your question quite different than your conclusion. You are simply saying he's a liar. Could you please give an explanation to why you think so, preferably with a source or link that would back up these claims?

Did you not even bother reading the opening post in this thread?

Can you disprove that it sold less than 5 million? Post your own articles.

The burden isn't on me, it's on those who make statistical claims.

Well, yeah...

I fail to see how you discredited him. You only think he made it up. You're hardly presenting any evidence here...

The burden isn't on me, it's on those who make statistical claims.

AGREE

An article has to prove it's based on facts by stating references, this guy doesn't have any and I for one appreciate knowing this; so when I read the article I can take the numbers with a large grain of salt. I don't think this is negative for GNR at all. It's a great album, it's sold a lot, maybe not in comparison to some of their other albums but its sold plenty. Like I said, I only care that they sold one copy TO ME. Hell, I don't even care if they made a second copy for you because I'm a selfish bastard like that :thumbsup:

But really, we're on a forum....about a band....there are only so many things to talk about and we get into some pretty crazy paths of detail, nature of the beast. It doesn't have to be a negative thing though, if someone is sensitive over something, they don't even have to click on the thread. I don't understand how people can get pissed off enough at a FORUM POST to actually warrant cussing out some stranger at the end of the pipeline.

It's like Sunnyd, she posted about CD not having any music worth listening too at her parties, well I totally disagree with that but I didn't start calling her names and wowza, ten minutes later I totally agreed with her in this thread. That's what a fan forum is, some hard core fans talking about intricate detailed shit that nobody else cares about and if we didn't, there would only be a couple posts a day here...can we say ghost town?

Don't be thread Natzi's skip the ones you don't like. I for one find sales figures interesting....I don't think they are bad figures either, I haven't sold millions of anything as of late :shrugs:

Actually, HighVoltage said all this better in his previous post so maybe this is over-kill but hell, I already typed it so I'm hitting the post button!

Edited by mcalldp

^^Apparently you haven't seen any of the TC's posts in previous topics

Hmm 5 million sure is a lot. I tend to believe the Billboard statistic myself

Yea, I don't really pay attention to who says what. I think it's interesting that there are so many different places with different figures (for any album) then you start dealing with world wide sales and exclusive store deals etc... the math can get pretty fuzzy real quick.

Guest Apollo

There is a difference between posting your opinion on an issue compared to making posts specifically to take jabs at people that you disagree with. Saying you don't like the album is fine. But comparing it to waterworld is just a cupcake comment, to insult Axl fans.

There is a difference between posting your opinion on an issue compared to making posts specifically to take jabs at people that you disagree with. Saying you don't like the album is fine. But comparing it to waterworld is just a cupcake comment, to insult Axl fans.

Basically this. Nintari has constantly got on a LOT of people's nerves lately

Yea, THAT'S the comment I was talking about that I disagreed with, total BS! Still, I'm not going to feed into that and sling mud what's the point? Just bogs down threads. Besides, I like CD more than Illusions and Lies and just as good as AFD- now, that might tread on some peoples sacred temple but it's my opinion. I agree, the waterworld comment could have been phrased better but really...who fooking cares(?)

On topic, with any band, who is the most 'official' track keeper of sales? As convoluted as the information seems to be, as an artist, I would worry about the company feeding me fuzzy numbers and screwing me out of my bank...Actually, I' sure that happens all the time.

Guest Apollo

Great post mccall. At the end of day, who really cares what some stranger on a forum thinks. I've always urged people to attack the idea or topic and NOT the person....unfort a small percentage of people on here can't do that. I guess they think it makes their point more valid if they also call the other person an insulting name.