Should Breakdown come back?

JeffBridges

Some of Axl's best work, only played live twice, this being the only recording we have of it..

It's an absolutely beautiful fucking song and deserves more than 2 total performances. I would shit myself if the new lineup played it, anyone agree?

I've always felt Breakdown and LocoMotive the unsung gems of the UYI albums.....but due to their length and unusual structure, could never be popular "mainstream" hits.

I love Breakdown.....shame it was only played a few times. Always loved the lyrics.

And LocoMotive I felt could be one of the easiest GNR songs to "update"....meaning I think the new Guns could really kill it on stage....or even give it a more industrial feel if they felt like going in that direction.

It's a shame that these songs already seemed to have been forgotten even at the height of the Illusions tour.....they never got their due.

Some of Axl's best work, only played live twice, this being the only recording we have of it..

It's an absolutely beautiful fucking song and deserves more than 2 total performances. I would shit myself if the new lineup played it, anyone agree?

<--- well I guess you could say I'm a fan of this song... ;) however much I'd love to hear it played now, I doubt it will be. I've read about the difficulty of it being played live a few times in past interviews.

and by the way, that isn't the only live recording we have. I've heard 2 live recordings, but I believe there are 3 total.

Great Song.

One of the best on UYI.

But, the new band should not touch it.

Cause they suck, and DJ always sounds out of key.

Imagine this song with the lead out of key...........

i think axl himself could pull it off better now than on the live recording i just listened

Great Song.

One of the best on UYI.

But, the new band should not touch it.

Cause they suck, and DJ always sounds out of key.

Imagine this song with the lead out of key...........

it's people like you who i don't understand, but okay

Breakdown would be immense, but I guess they would need to rework it.

Not sure about the ending, never was, but they could certainly sneak a newer version with ending curtailed to make it more of a live song.

LP

Breakdown would be immense, but I guess they would need to rework it.

Not sure about the ending, never was, but they could certainly sneak a newer version with ending curtailed to make it more of a live song.

LP

i agree, the ending should be edited if they ever want to play it live

Wasn't going to reply but gave it a thought. I listened to the live recording and the studio version. I do like the studio version but whats not working (in my mind) live is the extra tracks on the recording are not there and it just doesn't work. Now, this brings me to the reasoning behind three guitar players, even with Slash in the band he recorded multiple parts on guitar. Hell you might have six guitar tracks and just two guitar players, having the additional guitar player on stage allows for a lot more to be filled in. Songs that just don't work live when tossing some of the studio bits come right back to life when you can cover those live.

Everyone does this (extra tracks in the studio), the difference is, most modern bands just put all the extra parts on tape and play to a click track. Once in a while, a band actually brings players in and Guns puts them right up front, I think it's great. Hell, by the time Pink Floyd was playing the wall live they had one member behind each original member to play the same instrument!!!

This little rant led me to the conclusion that first, I do like this song and second, I think the new band could take it over and kill it live. Not what I expected to think when I first read the thread but a little thought on it and I am in the pro camp for this one :thumbsup:

Wasn't going to reply but gave it a thought. I listened to the live recording and the studio version. I do like the studio version but whats not working (in my mind) live is the extra tracks on the recording are not there and it just doesn't work. Now, this brings me to the reasoning behind three guitar players, even with Slash in the band he recorded multiple parts on guitar. Hell you might have six guitar tracks and just two guitar players, having the additional guitar player on stage allows for a lot more to be filled in. Songs that just don't work live when tossing some of the studio bits come right back to life when you can cover those live.

Everyone does this (extra tracks in the studio), the difference is, most modern bands just put all the extra parts on tape and play to a click track. Once in a while, a band actually brings players in and Guns puts them right up front, I think it's great. Hell, by the time Pink Floyd was playing the wall live they had one member behind each original member to play the same instrument!!!

This little rant led me to the conclusion that first, I do like this song and second, I think the new band could take it over and kill it live. Not what I expected to think when I first read the thread but a little thought on it and I am in the pro camp for this one :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: