Thoughts on the new GNR album. (yet to be released)

rockrecord

I would like another album to go deeper in the same direction as Chinese Democracy went. I'm satisfied with the sound Axl had with Robin and Bucket and I want to hear the rest of the material they recorded together.

After that, let's hear what DJ Bumble can do with the chance to write fresh material together as I think they've got what it takes to pull it off.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if the songs had a more organic feel to them in the sense pretty much all of CD felt heavily cut and pasted together. Get the guys in the room together and start playing. Don't re-record old stuff. Let the guys play together and go with what they came up with, odds are it will sound fresher and more dynamic than re-recording parts and pasting in new parts to songs.

The other thing is less processing of Axl's vocals. He's kind of got his voice back now, and there is no need to add all the effects to it that seemed to permeate almost every song on CD. If he couldn't sing anymore I would understand the need to try and hide it with all the effects, but that is not the case.

anything. i trust axl and the bands vision.

The band's vision??? :rofl-lol:

Like they have anything to say when it all comes down to it.

Well, Robin sounded like Robin on CD, Bucket sounded like Bucket on CD, Bumble sounded like Bumble on CD and Brain sounded like Brain on CD...

They didn't really change their own styles overall...

I'm not sure I care about a particular style as such but I 'd like it to be more concise this time.

14 (long) tracks was a bit too much really.

It should and hopefully the next one will, be the 10 strongest songs that work well as an album.

I don't think the over elaborate "queen" style production on some songs really worked.

I'm not sure if it was the idea to have a more intense dramatic album from start to finish but Catcher in the Rye should have had a less is more approach.

If the world sounds fresh and TWAT is complex when it needs to be. I guess some songs faired better than others.

Chinese Democracy definitely sounds like the song written for the album title that it was. Great build up but after that... not so sure.

Well, Robin sounded like Robin on CD, Bucket sounded like Bucket on CD, Bumble sounded like Bumble on CD and Brain sounded like Brain on CD...

Of course you can hear it's them, that's not the point. But if Axl says "This solo sucks, make another one that has a blues feel" etc, they will sure as hell do it.

More rock, less Pro-Tool.

So you want another generic rock album like $la%h crappy "solo effort" and Snakepit??? rofl-lol.gif

How about another Spaghetti Incident??????

With Axl singing? Yes. Absolutely. That sounds much better than him crying about his lonely tear drops to a harp.

Of course you can hear it's them, that's not the point. But if Axl says "This solo sucks, make another one that has a blues feel" etc, they will sure as hell do it.

Bumble has said he'd play a solo down the freakin' phone to Axl and he'd be cool with it and get it down on the record - sure he has to check with big boss man, I get that.. but in general, from what I've read, the recording process seems a lot more relaxed than any forum member has tried to dramatize

Edited by MoonWalker