There is no "current line up"

Young_Gun

I've noticed alot of posters here saying stuff like "forget the Bucket/Robin era songs, we want songs made by the current band". I got a little news for you guys. There is no current line up. Some facts for you to chew on:

-Axl said Paul Tobias still helps out in the studio. Oh no he isn't listed on the Guns N' Roses members list on Facebook, is he in the "current band"?

-Fortus has been in the band since 2002 after Tobias's departure, although he didn't take over as a songwriter, he has barely any credits on Chidem. Bumblefoot has been in the band half the time and played rhythm guitar on every single track and some solos. Is Fortus part of the "current band"? He is more of a touring musician.

-Brain still says he is involved with Guns, Axl said so too(something like "he works with Guns from his home and sometimes the studio), yet isn't listed on the official members list. Should his parts/involvement be removed from the next album too?

The point that im trying to get across is that this isn't your average band like Tool or U2 that has a definitive and solid lineup since its inception, far from it. Ever since Steven got fired, Guns have had a revolving door policy, this was further amplified when Izzy left and Gilby was in, yet Gilby had no song writing credits at all. The following years reiterated this. Drummers re-recording previous drummer's parts, guest guitarists coming in to do solos(Dave Navaro, Brian May), Bucket and Robin's departures. It will never be a 'real' band. They don't all go to Axl's house and improvise and jam out ideas. The touring line up and the studio line up are not the same and never will be, not with this band. The general consensus is that Axl is sent sketches/ideas of riffs, piano parts, basslines etc and arranges them adds lead guitar, cuts this, pastes that and then sings over it. Ashba or Ron could leave tomorrow and the band would continue. If this was the case for U2 or Coldplay, it would probably mean the end for them.

Don't get caught up too much in thinking this line up will stay. It does have a rock band "feel" and look, and they are great live, but don't kid yourself, the line up will never be solid. No band that pays its members salary to play in the studio(as opposed to royalties after an album is released and touring) is permanent. Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, Smashing Pumpkins, all their non-original members get a salary, thats how Guns works now. Axl is not going to throw away all those songs written by all the previous members(with millions of the record labels money) just so you guys can finally say "oh awesome, they are finally playing their own songs now". At the end of the day we should be lucky to get any new songs written by ANY of the members(past or present) of Gun's N' Roses

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but, let's face it, by "current lineup", most people mean the "current guitarists".

If Axl starts working on a new album ( after he releases or forgets about the remaining songs from the CD sessions ), it will most likely feature the current guitarists.

The fact that Paul Tobias writes a song with Axl is not only irrelevant : Dizzy refers to Paul as "one guy who was with us for a while", Ron says he has never ever seen him in the studio during both 2006 and 2007.

As regards Buckethead, I don't think he will ever agree to write anything new for Axl so that's two less people to worry about.

Brain might still be in the band but, to be honnest, I couldn't care less whether it's him or Frank who drums on it...They are both extremely solid.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Yes but, let's face it, by "current lineup", most people mean the "current guitarists".

If Axl starts working on a new album ( after he releases or forgets about the remaining songs from the CD sessions ), it will most likely feature the current guitarists.

The fact that Paul Tobias writes a song with Axl is not only irrelevant : Dizzy refers to Paul as "one guy who was with us for a while", Ron says he has never ever seen him in the studio during both 2006 and 2007.

As regards Buckethead, I don't think he will ever agree to write anything new for Axl so that's two less people to worry about.

Brain might still be in the band but, to be honnest, I couldn't care less whether it's him or Frank who drums on it...They are both extremely solid.

Some good points but i wouldn't take Dizzy's word for anything Guns related, the guy didn't even know if his piano parts made it to the album, he was unsure about if Axl would ask him to tour when the time came round. Tobias was never really a studio member, i think he actually say down and wrote songs with Axl, which were probably played/elaborated on by Robin/Bucket etc, so it makes sense that Ron would never see him in the studio.

Why would Paul need to be present in the studio while Ron adds guitar parts over top of 6-year-old material? :question:

There is one true GN'R line up and it contains Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

No shit, can you get over it though please? Its been 20 years. Axl legally has the right to do whatever he wants with the name. What he should or shouldn't do is only your opinion, not fact.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

There is one true GN'R line up and it contains Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

No shit, can you get over it though please? Its been 20 years. Axl legally has the right to do whatever he wants with the name. What he should or shouldn't do is only your opinion, not fact.

lol

"Robin [Finck] continues to be part of GN'R, by virtue of Guns' history and his involvement in Chinese Democracy."

-Axl Rose

And?

And?

And?

And ... statements like the one above (re: Robin Finck) literally prove the Topic Starter's point.

No you're wrong. There IS a current line up!

There are ALSO people that (could) help them in the studio.

People say "new album by the current line up" to mean not re-working OLD songs.

It's quite simple and didn't need a topic about something we all agree.

Oh and that Axl quote about Robin has nothing to do with this thread.

LP

Nikki Sixx re: Dj Ashba --- "He's with Guns N' Roses, went to South America ... he's kinda filling in doing that thing right now." (May 3)

Matt Sorum re: Duff McKagan --- "He's having fun, he's doing I think 2 or 3 shows with them [Jane's Addiction] this summer -- that's it." (May 7)

Well, as long Axl is in the 'current line up"' and don't really care if there is a touring line-up and a writers/studio line-up.

We just have to see what happens in the future, as long if there is a future I 'm happy!

"Robin [Finck] continues to be part of GN'R, by virtue of Guns' history and his involvement in Chinese Democracy."

-Axl Rose

And?

And?

And?

And ... statements like the one above (re: Robin Finck) literally prove the Topic Starter's point.

I don't think you understand the statement.

Everyone who has played on a Guns N Roses album is part of GN'R, by virtue of Guns' history... all members are- what's your point?

There is a 'current lineup', they are 'currently' touring.

Edited by axl8302

-Axl Rose

And?

And?

And?

I don't think you understand the statement.

Everyone who has played on a Guns N Roses album is part of GN'R, by virtue of Guns' history... all members are- what's your point?

There is a 'current lineup', they are 'currently' touring.

This man speaks sense, that statement didn't mean we can ever expect to see Robin back with Guns again, it meant that there were no hard feelings when he left the band.

I think this line-up is the tightest band that has played under the name Guns N Roses since the 1990s and I hope to god you're wrong and we do get an organic album out of them because the potential for it to rock is unbelieveable.

There is a current lineup. its the lineup that is currently touring their music under the name Guns N Roses

Its as simple as that. Why does everything have to be so shrouded in confusion with this gloriously fucked up band.

Axls explanation about Robin Fink doesnt make him a current member. It is just the sort of vague nonsense that keeps these message boards alive. By the dictionary definition of the word current Robin is certainly not.

We've discussed that here before, and I think there's a touring band (which is kind of an official band) and a studio band. But the only differences would be Tobias and Brian, right?

About Brian, he told me GN'R was still paying him and Axl asked him to do a remix album of Chinese Democracy.