Guns N Roses Radio Play in Toronto

JesseGoudge

So, I always have GNR playing from my computer at work but recently some of the other employees have been putting 102.1 the edge on during the day.

I have noticed that WTTJ is played at least twice a day from 8-5 and sometimes some other songs are played as well. Just this past week I have heard Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heavens Door, Dont Cry, Paradise City and just now I heard Patience.

Anyways, it is really nice to hear some GNR on a new age rock radio station. But they never play any new stuff.

I wanted to see if this is the case in other cities, do you find that a lot of GNR is played on the new rock stations? If so, what songs do you hear often?

7a6b3ffc-eb4e-4311-9e07-b941e2267503.jpg

Edited by JesseGoudge

So, I always have GNR playing from my computer at work but recently some of the other employees have been putting 102.1 the edge on during the day.

I have noticed that WTTJ is played at least twice a day from 8-5 and sometimes some other songs are played as well. Just this past week I have heard Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heavens Door, Dont Cry, Paradise City and just now I heard Patience.

Anyways, it is really nice to hear some GNR on a new age rock radio station. But they never play any new stuff.

I wanted to see if this is the case in other cities, do you find that a lot of GNR is played on the new rock stations? If so, what songs do you hear often?

how much of that do you figure is requests or call ins?

Never heard new GN'R on the radio. But they play a lot of old GN'R.

I hear:

-Jungle

-Sweet Child O' Mine

-Mr. Brownstone

-My Michelle

-Paradise City

-Patience

-Nice Boys

-Mama Kin

-Used to Love Her

-Knockin' On Heaven's Door

-Civil War

-You Could Be Mine

-Live And Let Die

-Yesterdays

all the time.

how much of that do you figure is requests or call ins?

Well its usually random... they have a request session from 12-1 and of the songs listed the only requested one was Patience.

I live in Toronto and heard Madagascar on the radio last night. Couldn't remember what station (not 102.1) but was surprised. It sounded awesome!

The rock stations in Philly always play GNR, usually followed up by some sort of snide comment, lol. Back in the days when CD was released, I heard Chinese Democracy a shitload, and TWAT once. I heard Better once back then when I was spendinga night in Wilkes Barre, as well. They used to play the Better leak randomly in Philly, too.

I live near TO

this is from Chinese Democracy. See before it came out they had a poll that asked if they should play it when it comes out, because it is Rock and because they waited so long for it.

Since then they play them in rotation :) Because the people voted they wanted Guns on the station!

102.1 would have never played Guns before 2 years ago, never. They were, maybe still are alternative station.

They may not play CD tunes anymore but at least Guns are being exposed to a whole other listening group, so that's awesome

GN'R is one of the staples of a Finnish rock radio station titled Radio Rock (lol). I'd say that if you listen for 2 hours you're pretty much guaranteed to hear one of the old hits.

When CD came out, they played the whole album from start to end once. Also the title song and SOD became quite frequent playlist items for the following 6 months. And I randomly heard TWAT last summer, and some musician guy who was interviewed by the station, requested Prostitute to be played. He said something like that it is one of his fav songs ever.

Gunsguy is 100% right about 102.1 - when CD came out they had a poll up at some point, and they actually pushed Chinese Democracy (the single) pretty heavily. It was a number one album in Canada and 3x platinum here so it makes sense. Funny thing is I recall the DJ I first heard play it (forget who) say he kinda liked it but didn't like any old Guns.

After a few months they stopped playing Guns period, then in the past year or so, they've been playing the classics. First during late-night rotation (I get off work pretty late some nights and would hear it past midnight) and now you'll hear Jungle, Paradise City, maybe some other tracks at just about any time.

Given a lot of younger kids are into GN'R and bands like A7X cite them as an influence it makes sense (funny, with 102.1 being "new music" I never hear any heavier new music, just indy crap, and Metric constantly is overplayed).

It's a nice change but 97.7 remains the best rock station in the area. 104 (Cool FM) played November Rain butchered yesterday (cut out the end of the song completely, so you never even get to the heavier part), you can hear them on 107 and 108 at times. 108 still plays Street of Dreams now and then, it fared pretty well here.

Altough CD is IMO a masterpiece it won't stand the test of time as a classic album - cause it's not.

So I guess most radios will never play CD songs again, but will continue to play AFD & UYI songs cause they'll always be classics. That's the way it is...

I hear CD, Maddy, IRS, Catcher, Street of Dreams, Shackler's, Better (the song they play the most of the CD material) and one time only I heard TIL. Other than TIL I hear the others quite often! This is on the ONLY rock station we have.

I kind of find it strange though because they are mostly a classic rock station and to top it off I live in a rural area where country is the most popular music :fuckyou:

And of course I hear the classics like WTTJ, PC, LALD,KOHD, Pateince, Mr. Brownstone, Don't cry, NR, and this list goes on......

But there is one song that i just have to turn the radio off when it is on and that is SCOM! I always have hated that song, don't know why I just hate it!!! I was into GNR when I first seen WTTJ on MTV and bought AFD the next day on cd pretty much liked all of it except SCOM.

Imagine that a hard core GNR fan repulsed by SCOM! Guess i am :crazy:

Anyone else hate that damn song or am I the only one??????

Edited by bigcountry

GNR Songs I've heard on the radio in the past 5 years or so..

-WTTJ, nightrain, out ta get me, mr browntone, paradise city, my michelle, think about you, scom, rocket queen, mama kin, patience, used to love her, you're crazy (acoustic), live and let die, dont cry, bad obsession, november rain, the garden, civil war, yesterdays, kohd, breakdown, pretty tied up, locomotive, estranged, ycbm, dont cry (alternative lyrics), since i dont have you, ain't it fun, hair of the dog, sympathy for the devil, chinese democracy, shacklers, better.

I used to have a slight obsession about hearing gnr on the radio. I guess my local stations are pretty good about GNR, it just seems as though every time i turn on the radio, AC/DC is on.