Official TV Show discussion

SunnyDRE

What did y'all think about the season premiere of Dexter?

I dug it, hopefully this season will be a major step up from the last, which was laughable. The Homeland opener was predictably phenomenal and entirely dwarfed it, though.

Edited by Angelica

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't stand Homeland.

It's so cheesy and Hollywood-y... Makes me sick. Claire Danes and the guy who played Inigo Montoya are the only decent actors in that show, too. Damian Lewis' over acting and cartoony faces are laugable.

Edited by Projected

Can't stand Homeland.

It's so cheesy and Hollywood-y... Makes me sick. Claire Danes and the guy who played Inigo Montoya are the only decent actors in that show, too. Damian Lewis' over acting and cartoony faces are laugable.

I'm sure the Israeli series is less sleek, but the show isn't Hollywoody (is it on Pirate Bay, I would love to see it). 24 was Hollywoody. Lewis was maybe more effective before the reveal, that combo of blandness *and* creepiness he exudes was perfect, but I still think he's fine. The work Danes is doing is...fucking thrilling, especially last night, I don't know how else to put it. And that ep has been made 1000x more brilliant since I realised what the title was.

Can't stand Homeland.

I'm sure the Israeli series is less sleek, but the show isn't Hollywoody (is it on Pirate Bay, I would love to see it). 24 was Hollywoody. Lewis was maybe more effective before the reveal, that combo of blandness *and* creepiness he exudes was perfect, but I still think he's fine. The work Danes is doing is...fucking thrilling, especially last night, I don't know how else to put it. And that ep has been made 1000x more brilliant since I realised what the title was.

I would admit Claire does a great job on that show. She is a really skilled acor. But I can't stand Lewis' over acting. I can't believe he got best actor over Cranston. I can't see it. I don't think he's a good actor AT ALL.

The show is VERY Hollywoody. Just the way it's written and produced. It's all just to slick and overproduced and doesn't send a message of believability to me. Especially the prison/Middle East scenes which look like everything is made out of cardboard and have minimum credibility, to me.

The Israeli series can't be really compared, since although Homeland is based on it, the storylines go in different directions (except for some key elements - turned POW etc), and it's good because each show is better suited for its audience and what it knows and its collective memory etc. I would say the Israeli show doesn't really have any genius acting, too. There are also two, maybe three actors who do a good job, the rest are between so-so and awful.

The main difference, though, and why I perfer the Israeli series (although I very rarely have anything to say about Israeli series, since they're all shit) is the credibility and how authentic everything is. It starts with the dialog and ends with the set. I believe the characters. I believe the story. Which I find really hard to with Homeland.

My $0.02.

I liked Damian Lewis but when I saw clips of Homeland I couldn't help but call him Dick Winters.

What the hell does Steve Buscemi have to do to win an Emmy for his role as Nucky Thompson?

Projected, have you watched episode 3 yet?

Gonna watch it today.

Dexter

The good: Hall's performance was great. The ending was awesome.

The bad: The kill at the airport was ridiculous. He couldn't have flown to Budapest and be able to get back the next day. The ending. It may be a cat-mouse chase.

Dexter will go insane this season. We'll see the dark side of him moreso than these last two years.

Dexter

The bad: The kill at the airport was ridiculous. He couldn't have flown to Budapest and be able to get back the next day. The ending. It may be a cat-mouse chase.

Dexter will go insane this season. We'll see the dark side of him moreso than these last two years.

He never flew to Budapest; They never left the airport.

Season 6 was better than 5.

Disagree. 5 was a big fat comedown from 4, but the creepy cult guys were good villians and Dexter's relationship with Lumen was interesting. 6 just got sillier and sillier and sillier (although it was somewhat salvaged by the last scene of the finale).

Dexter

He never flew to Budapest; They never left the airport.

But that kill was still HELLA stupid. The Deb stuff was great, for a while I was worried they were going to have her assume it was a one time thing which would've been a massive insult to her character.
Edited by Angelica

578636_475357035818205_1400818995_n.jpg

Wow, I guess Beirut has a lot of Beitar Jerusalem (Israeli football team) fans, since they sell shit with their logo :lol: Right side of the picture (the Menorah), above the Coca Cola (written in Hebrew) box. :lol:

Lol, yeah they're shooting those scenes in Tel Aviv this season.

Started to rewatch The Wire tonight, man I'm digging it so much more the second time round.

You'll regret it when you get to Bodie's death.

Such a great scene and an ingenious callback to the chess allegory in season 1. When Bodie's attacked on the corner, he stands still and attacks diagonally - like a pawn. Snoop and Chris move in and attack diagonally - as Bishops. He's then killed by O-Dog, who moves forward and to the left - The Knight.

Bodie never did make it to the other side of the board. :(

Such a great scene and an ingenious callback to the chess allegory in season 1. When Bodie's attacked on the corner, he stands still and attacks diagonally - like a pawn. Snoop and Chris move in and attack diagonally - as Bishops. He's then killed by O-Dog, who moves forward and to the left - The Knight.

Fuck me, I never thought of it that way. :lol:

Started to rewatch The Wire tonight, man I'm digging it so much more the second time round.

You'll regret it when you get to Bodie's death.

MIND FUCKING BLOWN!!!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I've downloaded a Swedish soap opera that I watched when I was a kid called Skilda Världar. Nostalgia, fuck yeah!

• 2 weeks later...