For those who think that DJ has no chops...

The Glow Inc.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out his IRS solo on this video ( better than Ron's as far as I'm concerned )

Even Axl bursts a smile ;)

DJ is very far from being a lousy guitarist IMO...He might just lack a bit of flair ( the little somethign that turns a great solo into a fantastic one ).

Besides, he has a connection with the audience that no other NuGnR guitarist has had so far.

DJ is great, but this is a terrible example.

DJ playing NR

Robin playing NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvNtF2AJL6c

Just sayin...

But yes, Robin had awesome material on CD and is way more original. But as far as performing...MEH.

Honestly, I think Robin was just putting his own spin on the solo. I actually enjoyed the way he played it.

But I would have to say that I prefer DJ. He knows how to put on a show. He has great energy and a great connection with the fans. I felt a strong connection with all three guitarists when I went the the Hamilton concert last year.

And I can't go without saying that this is the tightest I've heard the band as a whole in a long time. Just listen to that Novemeber Rain video. It's extraordinary. Especially from the outro to the end. It gave me chills. I really hope this line-up doesn't change at all.

DJ playing NR

Robin playing NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvNtF2AJL6c

Just sayin...

But yes, Robin had awesome material on CD and is way more original. But as far as performing...MEH.

Honestly, I think Robin was just putting his own spin on the solo. I actually enjoyed the way he played it.

But I would have to say that I prefer DJ. He knows how to put on a show. He has great energy and a great connection with the fans. I felt a strong connection with all three guitarists when I went the the Hamilton concert last year.

And I can't go without saying that this is the tightest I've heard the band as a whole in a long time. Just listen to that Novemeber Rain video. It's extraordinary. Especially from the outro to the end. It gave me chills. I really hope this line-up doesn't change at all.

Fucking Fortus, DJ, and Bumble... They've perfected the song... Its better than the original bands, especially Bumble and DJs parts. We need proshot footage of this tour NOW.

Robins NR solo there was fricking awesome. I'd prefer that to some imitation. Just because he's hitting all the notes the same as the studio version doesn't mean he's better, AT ALL.

Agreed. When I first saw GNR w/ R o b in I was instantly hooked and he only got better. I'll be listening to his material from the 02, 06 & 07 tours for a long, long time.

Imo..Darren is below Bucket,Finck,Bumble,Tobias...and only slightly ahead of Fortus. I put Tobias ahead of him because he wrote ALOT of shit on CD. He was basically the Izzy of the new band. I don't care for Darren all that much because so far, all he's been is a performer. He's written nothing and plays the old songs note for note. Maybe when he writes something, or recreates some solos like Finck did....my opinion will change.

Buckethead imo was obviously the best of the bunch....by a large margin.

Edited by Nintari

Robin was (usually) better in 2006 than 2002, but I've come to be expecting his versions of solos more often than not. It takes a little to get used to for sure, but I find his solos every bit as valid as Slash's. DJ's version of the IRS solo is actually the only one that he does that I think sounds horrible. It kills me when I hear it. Those first few seconds are just absolutely brutal and worse than even the worst example of Robin playing some weird shit. I think Robin gets way too much shit, especially with SCOM. He was far more likely to goof the intro than the solo and if you pick any given show in the 90s, Slash would do the same thing. Sometimes it was so bad it was hilarious, though. But for anyone to claim DJ is a poor player is silly. Generic perhaps, but not poor.

I really don't get why people have so much against DJ. I mean if you prefer another guitar player over him, cool. That's a matter of taste. But not liking him cause of his looks...I mean, why is that important? He's a great guitar player, he connects with the audience and he has gotten GNR new fans as his fans now go to the shows cause of him.

And he wants to write songs for the next GNR album. Give the guy a break.

I really don't get why people have so much against DJ. I mean if you prefer another guitar player over him, cool. That's a matter of taste. But not liking him cause of his looks...I mean, why is that important? He's a great guitar player, he connects with the audience and he has gotten GNR new fans as his fans now go to the shows cause of him.

I don't like his looks. He looks like an emo fag. But that's a separate issue like you said and has nothing to do with how he plays.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Agreed. DJ comes across as a really genuine nice guy who is super sweet to his fans. The amount of time and effort he gives to the audience is fantastic. He interacted the whole time more than any other member. Threw things at the audience etc think they were cigarettes? From what I've heard people who have met him in person say hes nice too.

Leave DJ alone :fuckyou:

I don't like his looks. He looks like an emo fag. But that's a separate issue like you said and has nothing to do with how he plays.

Fair enough. Personally I like his look. I don't understand why anyone would think he looks like a fag though. Or an emo for that matter.

Agreed. DJ comes across as a really genuine nice guy who is super sweet to his fans. The amount of time and effort he gives to the audience is fantastic. He interacted the whole time more than any other member. Threw things at the audience etc think they were cigarettes? From what I've heard people who have met him in person say hes nice too.

:thumbsup:

I have never heard anyone say he was rude or didn't have time for his fans like you sometimes hear about other rockstars. And lately he did that chat thingie with his fans. How many others do that?

He is supercool to the fans and treated me and my wife as nice as Ron. But that doesnt make him a better player IMHO.

Also, Robin used to throw water bottles to the audience in 2006 summer tour.

He is supercool to the fans and treated me and my wife as nice as Ron. But that doesnt make him a better player IMHO.

Also, Robin used to throw water bottles to the audience in 2006 summer tour.

No, it doesn't make him a better guitar player. I was just listing his positive qualities which benefits the band.

What a weird manipulative game you guys play.

You bash Robin while he's in the band, he leaves and now you praise him and bash his replacement.

You did the same thing with Buckethead too.

I think it's some kind of warped thing, that you want to hate on these guys until they go, so that eventually there's no one left.

What a weird manipulative game you guys play.

You bash Robin while he's in the band, he leaves and now you praise him and bash his replacement.

You did the same thing with Buckethead too.

I think it's some kind of warped thing, that you want to hate on these guys until they go, so that eventually there's no one left.

First, you're the guy who would rather put Izzy on lead than Bumblefoot. So I'd say you don't really understand much about guitar.

Second, there's people like me who never ever bashed Robin, so don't try to make excuses for people not linking a current member guitar playing.