For those who think that DJ has no chops...

The Glow Inc.

Check out his IRS solo on this video ( better than Ron's as far as I'm concerned )

Even Axl bursts a smile ;)

DJ is very far from being a lousy guitarist IMO...He might just lack a bit of flair ( the little somethign that turns a great solo into a fantastic one ).

Besides, he has a connection with the audience that no other NuGnR guitarist has had so far.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he can play the This I Love solo right, I'll be impressed.

For the record, I do love the little flair he adds at the end of Better underneath the "Now I, now I, now I" part

To be fair, I doubt that even Robin could replicate his own solo live...One just has to listen to the few times he played his own Chinese Democracy solo to understand what I mean...

The TIL solo isn't hard to play as far as technique is concerned, but it isn't the most natural and melodic solo either so it isn't easy to replicate the feel it has on the album ( just like the Estranged solo, sounded very original on the album because of all the controlled feedback but sounded like shit live... ).

For the record, I do love the little flair he adds at the end of Better underneath the "Now I, now I, now I" part

To be fair, I doubt that even Robin could replicate his own solo live...One just has to listen to the few times he played his own Chinese Democracy solo to understand what I mean...

The TIL solo isn't hard to play as far as technique is concerned, but it isn't the most natural and melodic solo either so it isn't easy to replicate the feel it has on the album ( just like the Estranged solo, sounded very original on the album because of all the controlled feedback but sounded like shit live... ).

No no no, Robin could pull off Street of Dreams solo even better live than on the album. And the TIL solo isn't hard, but it demands bends of more than half note - and that's where DJ has trouble.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

He already does it way better than it's done on the album.

I've tried several shows from all through the last tour and they all sound like shit to me. The dude just doesn't play it with nearly the right feeling. As I said, I don't "hate" the guy overall. I love what he adds to Better near the end

DJ doesn't have chops, we know this.

He seems to me to be someone with talent, but took alot of shortcuts as a guitar player to get where he is now. Taking shortcuts will get you some degree of proficiency on the instrument, but it will leave you unbalanced and lacking in essential areas as a guitarist.

I like Dj, he brings some fun to the live show, he has good tone, and loves the band. But he does lack in the skill department

He seems to me to be someone with talent, but took alot of shortcuts as a guitar player to get where he is now. Taking shortcuts will get you some degree of proficiency on the instrument, but it will leave you unbalanced and lacking in essential areas as a guitarist.

I like Dj, he brings some fun to the live show, he has good tone, and loves the band. But he does lack in the skill department

He's probably 1000 times better than a certain guitarist that used to be in the band.

in his dreams :rolleyes:

Check out his IRS solo on this video ( better than Ron's as far as I'm concerned )

Even Axl bursts a smile ;)

DJ is very far from being a lousy guitarist IMO...He might just lack a bit of flair ( the little somethign that turns a great solo into a fantastic one ).

Besides, he has a connection with the audience that no other NuGnR guitarist has had so far.

He's got chops, I just think he's generic and kinda lame.

He's probably 1000 times better than a certain guitarist that used to be in the band. I'll give you a hint who he is......he has recorded with none other than Fergie.

Those bends at the end of the solo are excruciating, so out of tune :( I think they only picked DJ because he looks vaguely 'rock n' roll', but hey, it's not like I'm playing guitar for them so can't really having a massive go at him haha. Did you HEAR 'Beautiful Dangerous' by the way? It's a lot better than some of the songs from Chinese and at least HAS a video, although I still think Chinese is a better overall than Slash's album.

Mikey

Edited by GeetarMikey

That is my only big problem with DJ... Although Robin screwed up a lot in live shows, he still always managed to write interesting, "unexpected" guitar lines, which is why I love his studio work on Chinese Democracy. With DJ Ashba, I always feel like his choice of notes is so predictable, it could be played by anybody. The IRS Solo is actually a pretty good example of this in my eyes. To be a little bit more precise, I absolutely hate it, how he doesn't let the notes "ring", instead he always moves down the fretboard, so that you only hear a small amount of the notes (hope that was understandable :) ) Good examples of this are his Sorry solo and the ending of the Street of dreams solo.

Because of that, and his sometimes weak bendings, I just don't understand why Ron doesn't get more of the solo spots...

He's probably 1000 times better than a certain guitarist that used to be in the band. I'll give you a hint who he is......he has recorded with none other than Fergie.

:crazy:

Come talk to me when GNR is playing songs he had a hand in writing.

This.

People who keep saying he's the best thing that ever happened to the band are far more concerned about his look IMO.