Why wont Axl play songs from UYL

fergus

At first it seems like Dont Cry was not going to be played, but then Ron started playing Dont Cry alone and then in later concerts Axl joined him.

Do you think it is because of Ron we got Dont Cry in 2010?

If Ron or DJ played parts from estranged or Civil War do you think Axl would join him on the next tour?

Why wont Axl play allot of UYI material? If it is because it brings him bad memories you would think sweet child and November Rain would bring back allot of old memories to him as also...

Just asking... :question:

Edited by fergus

Guest gunns5

no point making signs to get them to play the songs, I made one for twat in adelaide and he just looked at it and half smiled lol

Maybe he figures that he can't pull those songs off anymore. TWAT is the centerpiece of CD and he almost never plays that.

Maybe for some of them. But Vocally Estranged isnt Too hard in comparison to some of the stuff he sings now, and the band could pull it off.

I'd like to see them do double talkin jive. Its very easy to sing and then all 3 guitarists could do like extended solos each or something.

And then maybe on the occasion do Yesterdays, Civil war and bad obsession or something. All of those songs Seem easier to sing than lets say, You could be mine?

Edited by AxlIsGod.

Maybe he figures that he can't pull those songs off anymore. TWAT is the centerpiece of CD and he almost never plays that.

Maybe for some of them. But Vocally Estranged isnt Too hard in comparison to some of the stuff he sings now, and the band could pull it off.

I'd like to see them do double talkin jive. Its very easy to sing and then all 3 guitarists could do like extended solos each or something.

And then maybe on the occasion do Yesterdays, Civil war and bad obsession or something. All of those songs Seem easier to sing than lets say, You could be mine?

Dude, if he can do If The World he can pull every freakin song from UYI.

Maybe Coma or Locomotive. That would be awesome.

no point making signs to get them to play the songs, I made one for twat in adelaide and he just looked at it and half smiled lol

In portugal two fans make a "Nice Boys" sign.

:thumbsup:

lucky!! rock1

I always thought it was to do with the writing credits on the albums.

Axl sees himself as GNR so will perform songs off AFD, all of which were written by 'GNR'.

UYI songs are credited to individual band members however. Axl plays songs off UYI that he wrote (NR),

or which were not written by the old band (KOHD, LLD). He does not play songs where

Slash is credited as a writer (I realise that Slash wrote some of AFD but in the credits songs are written

by GNR). This is why we haven't seen Coma or Civil War

The thing is, Axl is probably not consciously avoiding those albums per se, just approaching the setlist on a rational basis.

Estranged is a mammoth song. It could come into rotation but would probably require rehearsal and would mean a couple of other songs getting bumped.

When it comes down to it it is a case of which UYI songs they could actually play.

Someone said Bad Obsession. In reality, why would Axl even want to play that song in favour of a more relevant (to him) CD song or a fan favourite from AFD (which would get a better reaction)?

The songs they have pulled out at random for fun have been things like Rosie or Nice Boys which are simple enough to bring out at random and the band can just jam over the simple structure and have fun with it. It is not exactly the same as them bringing in Locomotive or whatever.

It is just a shame that a couple of the biggest hits on UYI happen to be covers (LALD, KOHD).

In reality how many UYI songs would actually get the crowd going? Or are so brilliant that they would give Axl any desire to bring them back?

Maybe Civil War I guess as that used to be a staple and I know it goes down well at Slash shows, but again it is a long tune that is maybe a hassle to sing.

And yes, I know some bands play obscure b-sides from their back catalogue and stuff but this is not the same kind of band - pulling out Dead Horse on a whim would not be a throwback for anyone in the band except Axl, I just imagine that if they continue touring they will simply have more songs they have played overall and thus can be rotated.

For example, if by some miracle they released a new album, not as many CD or AFD songs would get played at every show, in which case them pulling out Brownstone or IRS might become something or an exciting rarity. And yes, I know, we may have seen those songs many times over the years, but not many fanbases compare every setlist as meticulously and critically as we do. You know, when I saw AC/DC a couple of times, no-one was under any illusion that they might drop Back In Black just to give Little Lover an airing...

Edited by JAC185

At first it seems like Dont Cry was not going to be played, but then Ron started playing Dont Cry alone and then in later concerts Axl joined him.

If Ron or DJ played parts from estranged or Civil War do you think Axl would join him on the next tour?

Why wont Axl play allot of UYI material? If it is because it brings him bad memories you would think sweet child and November Rain would bring back allot of old memories to him as also...

Ron and the fans, perhaps. Don't Cry was probably the most requested song.

However I think too much time is spent worrying over this.

You Could Be Mine, November Rain, and Don't Cry were the three biggest hits from those albums. Yes, fans would like Civil War and Estranged and Yesterdays but as someone else pointed out - at what cost? Drop a CD song (which was written with members on stage like Tommy, Dizzy, Chris) for a song written by guys not around anymore?

Perfect Crime popped up on a setlist once as an alternate so I think we will see another UYI song or two in future, just like they broke out Nice Boys again, and Down on the Farm. As of 2010 anyhow this lineup had a really good library and the ability to throw in a rarer song, or a cover (Whole Lotta Rosie, Sonic Reducer) to keep things fresh.

You Could Be Mine, November Rain, and Don't Cry were the three biggest hits from those albums. Yes, fans would like Civil War and Estranged and Yesterdays but as someone else pointed out - at what cost? Drop a CD song (which was written with members on stage like Tommy, Dizzy, Chris) for a song written by guys not around anymore?

Perfect Crime popped up on a setlist once as an alternate so I think we will see another UYI song or two in future, just like they broke out Nice Boys again, and Down on the Farm. As of 2010 anyhow this lineup had a really good library and the ability to throw in a rarer song, or a cover (Whole Lotta Rosie, Sonic Reducer) to keep things fresh.

Sure Axl would rather have songs from CD than non-hits from UYI.

But i just think it's simply stupid not to play songs from UIY.

Let's face it: they play 4 or 5 songs from a Double Album wich has 15 songs, respectively.

I'd rather hear The Gaden or Dead Horse instead of a You Could be Mine or Live N Let Die.

Sure Axl would rather have songs from CD than non-hits from UYI.

But i just think it's simply stupid not to play songs from UIY.

Let's face it: they play 4 or 5 songs from a Double Album wich has 15 songs, respectively.

I'd rather hear The Gaden or Dead Horse instead of a You Could be Mine or Live N Let Die.

Me too, but - there are a lot of casual fans who would say otherwise.

And actually, not You Could Be Mine. I love that song live. I could do without Live and Let Die, but it was a pretty big hit for them so I can see why they keep it in.

Me too, but - there are a lot of casual fans who would say otherwise.

And actually, not You Could Be Mine. I love that song live. I could do without Live and Let Die, but it was a pretty big hit for them so I can see why they keep it in.

I couldn't imagine a set without either of those in it.

I think it ihas to do with the royalties. AFD and Lies songs were composed by GN´R. So, as far as Axl has the GN´R rights, he can play this songs. That is not the same

with most of UYI songs, that are credited to specific members. I think he would have to pay Slash if he started to play Estranged, as an exemple. NR, YCBM and Don´t cry are very old songs...written by GN´R.

That is only my guess....

It has nothing to do with royalties, you can play whatever you want at a live show.

Logically it makes sense he avoids most of that album because at 10 minutes each, Coma and Estranged are snoozers to a live crowd (especially when you already have a 10 minute song in the set in NR).

Civil War is like 8 minutes, and is a tough vocal to do on a nightly basis. I suspect it gets skipped for the same reason TWAT gets skipped in that it is vocally demanding and he has to pick and choose in that regard.

Don't Cry is the only one I am surprised he really doesn't play, and maybe he has some personal reason for not wanting to play it.

Everything else from that album that isn't played right now never gained huge mainstream attention, so if given a choice it makes more sense to play something popular from Appetite or a CD song.

Those long songs are momentum killers though, and when you couple NR with all the solos adding yet another 8-10 minute song to the set would make the concert flow that much worse than it already is in some parts.

It has nothing to do with royalties, you can play whatever you want at a live show.

Logically it makes sense he avoids most of that album because at 10 minutes each, Coma and Estranged are snoozers to a live crowd (especially when you already have a 10 minute song in the set in NR).

Civil War is like 8 minutes, and is a tough vocal to do on a nightly basis. I suspect it gets skipped for the same reason TWAT gets skipped in that it is vocally demanding and he has to pick and choose in that regard.

Don't Cry is the only one I am surprised he really doesn't play, and maybe he has some personal reason for not wanting to play it.

Everything else from that album that isn't played right now never gained huge mainstream attention, so if given a choice it makes more sense to play something popular from Appetite or a CD song.

Those long songs are momentum killers though, and when you couple NR with all the solos adding yet another 8-10 minute song to the set would make the concert flow that much worse than it already is in some parts.

I get your point, but i can't see how Coma is a moment killer.

It's one of the best songs GN'R ever composed. I think that he wants to forget the UYI records for some reason.

I don't know if it's just me but he just doesn't seem that happy when he plays UYI stuff. Specially NR.

I get your point, but i can't see how Coma is a moment killer.

It's one of the best songs GN'R ever composed. I think that he wants to forget the UYI records for some reason.

I don't know if it's just me but he just doesn't seem that happy when he plays UYI stuff. Specially NR.

The old band barely ever played Coma live. I love that song, but it's not surprising they don't do it. Long, hard to do and do well, tough on the vocal cords...

If it was you who suggested losing Brownstone, I could go for that. Keep It's So Easy though.

But see, I think we just uncovered why more doesn't get played - I mean even a small number of us are having a hard time coming to a consensus. Everyone's got their favorites and Axl is balancing what he likes, with what he was most involved in (I'm sure he sees some songs as being more "old band"), and what the fans want, and that includes hardcore fans and the general public. Not an easy gig. But then as they've gone along they're added stuff like Used to Love Her, Down on the Farm, Nice Boys, Whole Lotta Rosie - and in six times seeing this band I only got to hear Used to Love Her out of those four. I haven't had the chance to hear Don't Cry live yet either. I'd love to hear the others. Then again, I've heard There Was a Time and Catcher in the Rye live, and I wouldn't give those up for anything.

I don't agree about November Rain. I mean maybe some nights but I watching him laughing and playing the piano with his foot, seemed happy to me.

I'm sure there's some songs he just doesn't want to play, and maybe others that'll come up eventually.

Edited by kyrie

Why? Probably because there is no UYL album. :)

Ali

:violin:

I guess it´s because Axl, /jarmo and -as of course- /Ali need to spend more time on production, pre - production, mastering, mixing, later on re-mastering and figuring out whether or not we should name those albums "UYL" or "UYI" :sleeper:

:fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou: