Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy relevance

STARABOSTES

Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy relevance

so, first the band it self.

every rocker around the planet knows that the band members which made this band popular by 1997/8 had split.

they also know that the band was through a relative constant line-up changes starting from 1997/8 until 2009

and that they could as well continue.

so in

2001/2001 the band, with fresh new line-up except Axl Rose and Dizzy Read, tour around the globe - a tour which ended into a fiasco.

2006/2007 the band, with 2 new members along Axl Rose, Dizzy Read, Tommy Stinson, Chris Pittman, Richard Fortus - all of whom starting from 2002 formed the core of the band, tour, this time, the globe - a successful tour.

2009/2010 the band, now with just one new band member, because since 2006 the band add Ron Thal and Frank Ferrer, had yeat another successful world tour.

even though people can argue the success of the 2006 tour in USA, they can deny the fact that in the rest of the globe the band was more than welcomed, and starting with 2009, after the release of Chinese Democracy the band sold out the majority of shows.

so, if you put together the numbers, some journalist did around 2008/9, the people who attended GNR concerts starting from 2001 to 2007 were around 3.5 mil. so by now the are around 4.5 mil give n' take.

so, let's analyze this tours. they all were named after the album Chinese Democracy

I - 2001/2002 - the album wasn't out yet. people knew, well at least the ones who really care for GNR, that the band members weren't the same ones as the last world tour which ended in 1993, and they still when crazy when the band didn't performed in Vancouver and Philadelphia. if they didn't care for the band, they would have acted civilized and just went home laughing their ass off, and ask for refunds, right?! so the band was still fascinating by 2002 in spite the fact that the line-up was changed.

II - 2006/2007 - still the album wasn't out. by now, all people, as much as ignorance is a bless, knew for shore who was in or not in GNR. the tour was this time a real world tour, and a successful one.

III - 2009/2010 - the album was out by late autumn 2008. the vast number of the shows around the globe were sold outs.

so, putting out the album, helped the band to get more interest from the masses.

second the album Chinese Democracy.

since 1999/2000 people knew that this would be the name of the new GNR album.

all this time, until 2008, articles speculate on it and the band relative constant line-up changes,

and how this album will never come out, or of how, by 2005 the costs for it were the highs ever in the music industry!

further more, since 1993 to 2008 GNR released officially just one song - Oh My God - a exclamation most of the people had when speaking of GNR.

by 2008 with the release of the album, came no music-video - generally "normal bands" release music-videos to promote their albums. be this intentional or not from the band, as in not to release music - videos, in a time when all the economy was going down, the album sold, in less then a year, for shore around 3.5 mil units world wide, and also without major TV interviews from the band to promote it.

third, lets use the numbers from the world most famous internet social site - Facebook.

by August 2010 the band had 2mil people who like this

and now they have more than 7.5 mil. http://www.facebook.com/gunsnroses?sk=info

compare this with U2 who has 7.9 mil http://www.facebook.com/u2 a band who was named around 2006/8 the world greatest band or something like that.

so, for a band that for the last 18 years had release no music-video,

and had none major TV interview, released one album,

and which kept being a news source mostly by the concept of Chinese Democracy album

and the only real connection with public-eye was through world tours such as 2001-2002, 2006-2007, 2009-2010,

which in a way is the essence of a rock band,

one must see how the fascination was kept and how GNR is today so present.

we know that the old songs are the foundation of interest in GNR,

but one can't dismiss the fact that what kept GNR relevant over the years was exactly keeping the name and the endless labor over Chinese Democracy.

so, by any standard GNR is more fascinating and relevant as other major rock bands,

considering the non-promotion it either done in purpose or not.

so, my point is to show that GNR is grate and that the changes it took were perceive world wide,

and that didn't harm in anyway the imagine this band had, and by all means it grew on.

just look at the likes of '80 and see were is their popularity.

and look how much effort Metallica, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, U2 put in to maintain relevant...

mostly with not one album that can match their early success.

and yes Chinese Democracy is a music corner stone, because it was, even with all the delay of the release, much to complex for the common Joe, and still easy to digest by the same one, if he listen to it, by the time of it's release. I mean, after 2 and some years I still found sounds in the melodies that I didn't hear at first, so, from my perspective this is a value.

Just take that effort and listen to the so-called major rock bands' albums which were release prior to and after the release of Chinese Democracy, and find one that is as complex and as progressive - as in the one's band own sound - as is this album.

because as an artist, I aspect and respect artists' whom evolve and not the ones who keep putting out there the art they first identify with, or as in the case of the likes such as U2 or Mettalica, re-coming back to the sound that made them relevant in the first place.

and yes, from my take, GNR were bold, the boldest from their status to come up with and full covers album such as TSI?,

and were bold enough not to do, what the rest of them did, that is to get out music for the sake of putting it out.

so, I got here facts, historical facts, to show that Guns N' Roses and Chinese Democracy are as relevant as the rest of the so called popular rock bands, but, one must make a clear difference between relevant and popularity, because yes, GNR are not popular,

they only were by music-videos and ballads, but they kept being famous over all this time, or should we say infamous because all what happened with the band over the years and matching this was the Chinese Democracy album it self, as creation, labor, release, receptiveness to it - yeas, let's not forget that it received platinum and gold discs around the globe, and the mix critique, but which on an all was positive.

that being written, debate it!

Edited by STARABOSTES

CD = Victory.

I think it's true, almost ironically them touring CD kept the old material or the concept of GNR in people's mind.

Facebook stats are interesting, basically as big as U2 with similar sales as No Line.

realatively it's like a Hell Freezes Over level of success.

Edited by wasted

The popularity and Facebook likes that Guns N Roses has does not stem from the release of Chinese Democracy.

Opinion.

HA. But a damn good one.

So in your mind after CD was released Guns n Roses got millions of fans and gained all their popularity....because of CD.

I became a fan with CD. And I'm not the only one :)

The popularity and Facebook likes that Guns N Roses has does not stem from the release of Chinese Democracy.

Opinion.

I am sorry, but even if CD is your favorite album, which I respect, you cannot seriously think this.

Let's be realistic...it is a combination of many things INCLUDING CD.

I am open to the suggestion that CD has rendered some likes on Facebook. But you also have to see it in terms of alternative costs - how many likes would a semi original GNR have had if they had kept going?

Fatush aka Fantomas: "people, where is the h (mute) ate?"

so, that's all we got? some cool jokes to start with and some monosyllabic conversation between 2 members!?

but no debate?

were are the ones who question GNR's relevance in today's world?

ore the one who question Chinese Democracy importance in GNR world?

eh...

it always like this with this kind of people... they came up in any other topic which lacks substance and question and argue against GNR,

but now they are nowhere to be seen.. .

so, it's like Checkmate, a mates?! B)

What I got most from the initial post is how well Chinese Democracy sold in spite of itself.

I'm a glass half empty kind of person, when I saw statistically how well the album did in spite of no interviews, videos, promotion, etc. it only made me wonder how well it would have if there was proper build up to the release, and why they didn't to begin with.

Opinion.

I am sorry, but even if CD is your favorite album, which I respect, you cannot seriously think this.

Let's be realistic...it is a combination of many things INCLUDING CD.

I am open to the suggestion that CD has rendered some likes on Facebook. But you also have to see it in terms of alternative costs - how many likes would a semi original GNR have had if they had kept going?

They may have had less, who knows?

However, as a fan I don't see any appeal in a band that I like being 'liked' by a large number of people. I actually find it unappealing, but most people prefer it.

It just goes to show you how desperate some are just to fit in...

demotivational_posters_hipster_dog_Demotivationals-s492x522-125553-580.jpg

Chinese democracy is relevant to those who love gnr, that's all that matters imo

This

This says it all,I don't care how high an album climbs on the charts ,or how popular it is,even among friends,I listen to what I can relate to ,and it is non negotiable,GNR has been my preferance from the eighties and continues to be,nobody else even comes close.

This says it all,I don't care how high an album climbs on the charts ,or how popular it is,even among friends,I listen to what I can relate to ,and it is non negotiable,GNR has been my preferance from the eighties and continues to be,nobody else even comes close.

from that perspective, it's a real shame they haven't put out more music over the years.

from that perspective, it's a real shame they haven't put out more music over the years.

Moreblack,I'd much rather have quality,over quantity,and yes I take into account the somewhat unorthodox methods that they choose to take,but that appeals to me,along with the music,although I do listen to a wide array of music,nothing ranks even close to Guns n Roses for me,I actually relate to the constant chaos ,and the will to do things my way,even in the face of naysayers,and doubters,I'm one stubborn SOB,when needed,I also relate to the impulsively,so it is many things that have cemented GNR into my life,it has been since the eighties and won't be changing

so, I like what I've read thus far,

and hope people who read my first post

and the ones that followed get to feel good about the fact that they like GNR and their, yet, last album.

me, just like the rest of them/you all, I'm passing time an hope for GNR to release another album,

a double one - nothing else would satisfy me, just for the sake of it! as in repeating it's own history.

it doesn't matter the name, as long as it has GNR on it. rock2

and, why not, it could even have songs recorded prior to 1993 with the band from that times,

they anyway receive royalties when ever GNR is on tour and performing old songs B)

I don't care man, just music! ke'me music!

Moreblack,I'd much rather have quality,over quantity,and yes I take into account the somewhat unorthodox methods that they choose to take,but that appeals to me,along with the music,although I do listen to a wide array of music,nothing ranks even close to Guns n Roses for me,I actually relate to the constant chaos ,and the will to do things my way,even in the face of naysayers,and doubters,I'm one stubborn SOB,when needed,I also relate to the impulsively,so it is many things that have cemented GNR into my life,it has been since the eighties and won't be changing

That's all fine and good from a personality trait POV, but you're lying to me if you say you didn't wish they had put out more material between TSI and now...

It's relevant to me because it features Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Robin Finck and Brain.

The fact that it has Axl Rose on vocals is the icing on the cake.

The fact that it's called Guns n' Roses is irrelevant to me though. I KNOW that without real Guns there would be no Chinese Democracy, but the fact that Axl decided to keep the name is none of my business ( though I know that without the name, there would be no world tours, no selling out stadiums in South America, not playing in front of 17 000 people in France etc... ).

I love Chinese because it features my favourite musicians, not because of Axl or Guns n' Roses...

How the album is perceived doesn't mean much to me. Sure, I wish the band could be less criticized ( and it would happen less with a different name and with more albums ) but what can I do : HATERS GONNA HATE as long as Axl keeps being Axl.