The Stones comment on various bands

Count Drugcula

... Still makes me wonder why Slash said in his book that the Stones whatched the GN'R gig in 1989 and liked them.

Keef says that they looked like a bunch of posers.

At least GN'R's not been doing the same music for over half a century. Just sayin'.

Well Keith's quote was from 1988...a lot can change in a year. I'd guess he was being critical to be critical in that quote because they were the new thing on the scene. Mind you he didn't badmouth the music.

... Still makes me wonder why Slash said in his book that the Stones whatched the GN'R gig in 1989 and liked them.

Keef says that they looked like a bunch of posers.

At least GN'R's not been doing the same music for over half a century. Just sayin'.

Well Keith's quote was from 1988...a lot can change in a year. I'd guess he was being critical to be critical in that quote because they were the new thing on the scene. Mind you he didn't badmouth the music.

Lol. I'd like to hear what Keef thinks of the new band xD

Guest Len B'stard

They were fans of Blues and early R&B. By the mid-70s they were obviously going to seem conservative, let alone to people like us today. My father would agree with most of the negative comments they make, and fuck, they are ten years older than him.

Bitter old queens might be a fairer assessment. Then again Uncle Lydon comes off that way sometimes but that's only because he's always been forthright about the things he dislikes but there's a lot in this generation that he commends and thinks is cool too. Those lot are just fuckin...grumpy old fakes. I hate to say that because i sincerely and truthfully admire The Rolling Stones, as a band i think they're amazing and i suppose that's all that matters but as people Charlie Watts comes off alright, Keith too when he's not trying to pretend he's an American and Mick just comes off as a really insecure defensive little tart. Ronnie Wood comes off cool though, bless him.

How many bands did GnR slag off??

Slash slagged off Pearl Jam and Nine Inch Nails, at the very least.

Axl said Bon Jovi could suck his dick and I'm pretty sure he had unkind things to say about the real hair metal bands that were out around the same time as GN'R. He also commented negatively on Nirvana and the whole Alt. Rock movement when they started commenting negatively on him and Guns.

And what does the have to do with the OP?

Might have had to do more with the tone the thread ended up taking.

I didn't realize this was a contest on who was nicer.......

Neither did I.. :blink:

Axl said Bon Jovi could suck his dick and I'm pretty sure he had unkind things to say about the real hair metal bands that were out around the same time as GN'R. He also commented negatively on Nirvana and the whole Alt. Rock movement when they started commenting negatively on him and Guns.

When did slash slag off pearl jam?

When did slash slag off pearl jam?

"Everybody used to go, "What's gonna happen when Guns is no longer.. when a new fad comes along?" or whatever. And I'd be, "I don't give a fuck". And I watched it happen, and it didn't matter to me. With Axl it mattered a hell of a lot. Next thing you know, he wants to be Pearl Jam, right? Why? I hate Pearl Jam anyway, so what's the point? And it's great to watch Pearl Jam going through what they're going through, cos I'm going, "See Axl?"

--Slash, 11/1995

Most of those questions were asked over 30 years ago, mostly about what was hot at the time. If I asked Mick Jagger a question about Nile Rodgers, he'd prob. have a lot of good things to say about him. If I asked Keith about U Roy and Lee Perry, he'd prob. have some wild stories. Lydon also hung out in Jamaica in the late 70s when McLaren pulled the rug from under him. And I think Richard Branson came to his rescue.

It would be like asking Mick and Keith about what's out right now. Mick and Keith sang & played with half the Black Eyed Peas. We also didn't know back in the day Slash's parents were friends with Ron Wood, plus taking into account GNR did a show with the Stones a couple of years ago.

As far as grunge goes, Duff helped start all of that, then left. There's only one degree of separation between GNR and PJ.

Keith knowsl part of rap came from the Jamaicans.

Pearl Jam's a good live band for what they do. But when a band or singer wants to start following trends, it's not good. I can understand Bruce, the Stones or McCartney using a current producer because they're past their prime and wants to get new music played on radio.

"Everybody used to go, "What's gonna happen when Guns is no longer.. when a new fad comes along?" or whatever. And I'd be, "I don't give a fuck". And I watched it happen, and it didn't matter to me. With Axl it mattered a hell of a lot. Next thing you know, he wants to be Pearl Jam, right? Why? I hate Pearl Jam anyway, so what's the point? And it's great to watch Pearl Jam going through what they're going through, cos I'm going, "See Axl?"

--Slash, 11/1995

So if Slash doesn't like Pearl Jam Axl is not allowed to like them or learn from them either?

I know their opinions have changed over time, but I do wonder about that GN'R comment since Keith supposedly said they could have been the next Stones...somewhere along the line his mind must have changed.

Yes, but this comment was from 88. Guns was just an opening act by that point, so there is not much use in reading too much in what Keith said then about a band that had just had their first hit single.

Guest Len B'stard
If I asked Keith about U Roy and Lee Perry, he'd prob. have some wild stories.

By all accounts, people like U Roy and Lee Perry didn't think much of The Stones at all. People try and make a big thing of the Stones Jamaica connection and somehow it like...builds a great picture of Keith and how streetwise and "down" he is but he's not. Point of fact, The Stones flung money all around the place with they were over there, that's the only reason why people have good words to say about them in Jamaica. They literally paid the local gangsters for the pleasure of working in Channel One studios or what have you. Keith, for all his poseur tough guy shit, was fucking terrified of Peter Tosh. Peter made Keith leave his own house in Jamaica, pulling a gun on him...and he did :lol: And just so this don't sound like some anti-Stones trip (cuz as i say i'm a fan) they never thought much of bands like The Clash either and their forays into reggae. I think the famous story goes that when Paul Simonon asked Lee Perry what he thought of their cover of Junior Murvins Police and Thieves which Perry produced, Perrys reply was "y'heathen man, y'ruin de works of Jah" :lol:

As far as grunge goes, Duff helped start all of that, then left. There's only one degree of separation between GNR and PJ.

He did?

Lydon also hung out in Jamaica in the late 70s when McLaren pulled the rug from under him. And I think Richard Branson came to his rescue.

John Rotten was sent by Richard Branson to Jamaica to scout for reggae artists to sign to Virgin because by all accounts, he actually knew and loved reggae since his youth, he actually knew and understood the genre and, amazingly for some reason, i wouldn't've expected it myself, they actually quite respected him. Partially probably because he could get a record deal but also because like them he was a proper rebel spirit and he didn't approach them patronisingly or trying to steal their music or make a Lite version of the shit they do, he actually was a genuine fan with a proper understanding and knowledge of the genre. The Stones just went and signed Bob Marleys guitarist, i bet that took a lot of scouting. And fucked his career up at that, didn't do shit for him really, just a bunch of posturing on their part, Rotten actually went out there and identified proper interesting artists, relative unknowns and quite literally handed them a career.

Reggae...especially the dub end was real real hardcore inventive fuckin stuff, bass driven, highly accented, reverbey echoey hardcore fuckin....really out there music. People like that respect people who make their own kind of adventurous inventive type music, music with no prescedent to it, far out inventive stuff and they can see em a mile off, they don't appreciate being lauded just to be stolen from. For as much as people say that albums like Second Edition by PiL were "dub influenced" there is absolutely no correlation in the actual listening to em i.e. there is no ethnic forgery going on, a concept that The Stones made an art out of (and they did it well too).

Keith knowsl part of rap came from the Jamaicans.

Well, all of it really. The rapping bit came from Jamaican toasting, the use of instrumentals as a rhythmic basis is basically what dub reggae is/was. DJ Kool Herc, first hip hop DJ was basically a Jamaican that bought his soundsystem and soundsystem culture down to New York.

So if Slash doesn't like Pearl Jam Axl is not allowed to like them or learn from them either?

I took what Slash said to mean that we don't need to follow trends and we have our own thing and our own style and we're already something, why should we go out of our way to immitate these bands that are doing something else just because they're the in thing now. I totally get it and i agree with it, it'd just come off phoney. It's one thing to like...expand on the core thing of whatever it is that makes a band good but not if it's an act of immitation.

I'll always rate Axl Rose though and for the following reason, for better or worse, with Chinese Democracy, he actually had a vision, an idea to do something different musically and to forge onwards and i respect that endlessly. You can like it or dislike it but the boy went for it and whatever anyone says i do think that...y'know, he didn't just fuckin lose it, you get a definite idea of an understanding of and a respect for what GnR were musically and an attempt to do that justice while at the same time take it somewhere else as well.

I took what Slash said to mean that we don't need to follow trends and we have our own thing and our own style and we're already something, why should we go out of our way to immitate these bands that are doing something else just because they're the in thing now. I totally get it and i agree with it, it'd just come off phoney. It's one thing to like...expand on the core thing of whatever it is that makes a band good but not if it's an act of immitation.

Knowing Slash's history of comments (and actions!) I seriously doubt that's all he meant. But this is not the place to discuss that.

Theres video footage from 88 or 89 of Keith praising gnr. Calling them a real rock n roll band.

I think Keef forgets what he said 5 minutes ago.

I also got that impression while reading his book.

You roll with his mood on any given day it seems.

Guns did receive the honour of sharing their stage so.. :shrugs: