CHINESE DEMOCRACY

MANETS.FOREVER

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is one of my favorite albums. There are a few duds for sure (Rhaid, Scraped) but for the most part I think it is at least on par with the Illusions if not a bit better. Is it a bit overprodueced... perhaps... but Axl had a vision and he stuck to it on his terms and for that he has my respect.

The sad thing is that he should have released this album in late 99 or 2000. From all accounts it was really good then... then Roy Thomas Baker came in and made them rerecord everything STUPID... if it would have come out in 2000 there would have been way more public support and momentum. But with all the false starts I think it never really had a chance to gain mass appeal.

I do actually love CD. It has a lot going on, but not in a bad way. You can hear a lot of different musical influence in it, and I don't think there is more than one song on there I won't listen to when I put the album on. I love the evolution on GnR, you should expand your horizons and look past the past to see the future. There is more to life than ONE style of music. I think CD captured a lot of different textures and found some very distinctive plateaus and will be one of my all time favorite albums for the rest of my existence.

I love the album. I am not saying its the best , but its up there for me. Im not here to argue with you or say which guns era is better. Nobody will win because your opinion is yours and mine is mine. I have read countless of your posts downgrading CD, again your opinion. After all your negative posts on CD you have NEVER proven any point to me. I love the new lineup (dont hate the old one). I will continue to see Axl's vision of GNR for the future and have stopped living in the past. I hope for some reason ($$$) this forum continues that we could have future friendly discussions.

Good post. I agree completely. I have enjoyed AFD, UYI, and CD, each sounding quite different to me but each having a great sound. I'm certainly not tiring of CD yet and still work out to it at the gym almost daily.

Is it possible to actually have an intelligent conversation about the album without going all axl vs slash, Axl is fat, etc?

For example, twat and shacklers coulda easily been on UYI. To me they are great songs. Maddy as well. However rhiad and catcher just miss and I end up changing the song. Chinese sounds like a new age jungle, but overall its hard to justify the wait. If it was followed up by two albums and released in 2002ish most if not all of us would be very happy with the progress of the band. Unfortunately we all know what didn't happen

all of those shows are sold out because axl had the good fortune to once be in a talented band with great songwriters and real rockstars.

lol ... :sleeper: and why the other former members play in front of a handful of people :shrugs:

You're pathetic :rofl-lol:

A handful? Slash is headlining Sonisphere this summer. The only reason people go to Axl Rose's shows is the name. If he didnt have it then he wouldve been laughed out of town well over a decade ago.

You are just fanning the flame. You know that your statement is not true. 99.9% of people in the world know that Slash isn't still in GnR. The Axl Rose Project would sell just as many tickets in 2011 that GnR would sell in 2011. Anybody who would go see GnR is also going to see Axl Rose. To say otherwise is just silly.

And........if you really feel this way about Axl and what he has done with the current band.....what does it say about you and guys like cancerface and sonofabitch and ronmexico? You guys visit a forum of a singer that you hate on a daily basis. That blows me away. You guys spend more time bashing a singer that you hate than you do praising a guitar player that you love.....that is just twisted.

all of those shows are sold out because axl had the good fortune to once be in a talented band with great songwriters and real rockstars.

lol ... :sleeper: and why the other former members play in front of a handful of people :shrugs:

You're pathetic :rofl-lol:

A handful? Slash is headlining Sonisphere this summer. The only reason people go to Axl Rose's shows is the name. If he didnt have it then he wouldve been laughed out of town well over a decade ago.

You are just fanning the flame. You know that your statement is not true. 99.9% of people in the world know that Slash isn't still in GnR. The Axl Rose Project would sell just as many tickets in 2011 that GnR would sell in 2011. Anybody who would go see GnR is also going to see Axl Rose. To say otherwise is just silly.

And........if you really feel this way about Axl and what he has done with the current band.....what does it say about you and guys like cancerface and sonofabitch and ronmexico? You guys visit a forum of a singer that you hate on a daily basis. That blows me away. You guys spend more time bashing a singer that you hate than you do praising a guitar player that you love.....that is just twisted.

and fun!

Guest siliconmessiah

I think the problem with GNR was that Axl created more and more negative energy wherever he went, and the last monts has been the nail in the coffin.

Even long-time fans, like me, but also many others on this board and members of the band, got tired of the classic cash-grab tours (a ten year chinese democracy/afd tour), constant replacing of band members and lack of releasing new music.

We see that bandmembers are leaving, instead of working on new material and this in combination with Axl:s weird behaviour and inability to use momentum killed the band.

Edited by siliconmessiah

CD i think its a good album generally for nowdays but for the level of GNR it could be much better,of course all the story behind this album all these years that nobody knew whats going on,the big delays,the rumors every time for the release and then nothing happens,the silence of Axl,the leaks of most songs all the ppl had heard before,the bad critics from media,the big failure with promotion,the big expectations from fans for the most expensive album in the history etc stuff,then the dissapointment that CD its an ok album but not what they expected to be,all these reasons had negative impact to CD.Im with them who believe that CD isnt actually a GNR album but more an Axl personal project.

I dont like

-Scraped(indifferent song)

-Street Of Dreams(Ι dont like the intro and the way Axl sings like a crying baby :xmassrudolph: ,a good solo but the song dont say much to me)

-There Was A Time(Boring up to mid,insane solo and Axl vocal range then)

-Riad N' The Bedouins(indifferent song)

-Sorry(Just boring)

-Catcher(Good but with no power)

-Prostitute(Nothing special)

-I.R.S(Just a small good solo and Axl's scream at the end the only positives)

*I also dont like the drums sound of most songs,i expected a more powerfull drum sound and no this inanimate beat,just dont fit well and the album loses power.

I like

-Chinese Democracy

-Shackler's Revenge

-If The World

-Better

-Madagascar

-This i love

Thats all.. :lol: :lol:

Edited by Majestic Beast

The stuff I love about the album: it's musically diverse and interesting, huge fan of Axl's voice and lyrics, when the man says something he fucking means it, there's an attitude to the songs, great musicians on the album, I can say that at different points in time I have enjoyed every single song on the album, if I had to pick top 5, then it would be 'This I Love' 'Prostitute' 'Better' 'Catcher In The Rye','There Was A Time' the extra stuff is great on its own, but it kills the songs in certain parts

The stuff I don't about the album: the songwriting is not as great as the individual parts of the songs, some songs fail to culminate,

Scraped has the anger, the fuck-you attitude and singing, but it never reaches a point where the different parts come together, they're sort of acting on their own,

same with Riad, I love the solo and the singing is vicious, but as a song it's not that great,

Street of Dreams, great melody, awesome solos and the outro is fucking great, but I don't like the intro, also there's too much going on for such a gentle song, I listen to the orchestra parts on its own and it's fucking great and then I listen to it within the song and it bums me out,

the same goes for This I Love, I love the orchestra parts, but it's either that or the guitar solo, both are great, but I don't like them at the same time, it drives me insane, I don't know what to focus on and I feel kind of cheated

I have nothing bad to say about Catcher and Better, I think in those songs it all comes together very nicely, even though there's a lot going on it Catcher, but it works and doesn't piss me off

I want to hear the piano in the Prostitute, it's the central part of the song and the drum loop doesn't really do anything for me, the orchestration is beautiful!!!, but I wanna hear it on its own, it's either that or the song, I can't deal with both of them, that's why most of the time I just listen to the piano part of the multitracks, that has the piano and the orchestra, it's great, I feel that in this song you could've done with less guitars, if you listen to the guitar parts of the multitracks, sometimes you're just thinking like, why the fuck is this necessary, it's just an extra sound that takes away from the core melody that is beautiful and stands on its own

the guitar argument also goes for If the World, too much shit for such a simple song, I don't really understand the song to be quite honest, I like the melody but I don't see what Axl saw when he started working on this idea

There Was A Time, the song is essentially 2 songs, an instrumental song toward the end and a poem at the beginning, I think in this case I've sort of grown used to the fact that there's too much shit, so I just roll with it

All in all, I feel like Axl was trying to write musical puzzles rather than songs, it's like you listen to smth for the 200th time and you hear a random cowbell or smth that you have never heard before, it's interesting, but that's the thing, interesting is the word, but sometimes I wish that I could listen to these songs just as great melodies with basic instrumentation and not be overwhelmed

It'll be interesting to see what's next, I do hope that the songs aren't as layered as these, I like the style and the techno edge etc., but in some places less is more

that's my $0.02

CD is ok i guess, i like catcher and better even thou i rarely listen to them nowadays.... most the songs follow the same pattern... and half the album seems to be the same song divided (something never seen before in any gnr album) and ironically the songs involved are the best songs in the album.... deffinitely not the best gnr album, but that doesn't make it shitty at all

Back when Chinese Democracy come out, i thought it was a major let down. Only a couple of good songs.

However over the past 2 or 3 weeks i've got to listening to it alot more. And there is some very good songs. They are all very good except one. And that one is TWAT. No matter how much i listen to it, just can't like it. But the songs like Scrapped, Rhiad, Shacklers. Are all brilliant and they are deffinatly as good as some of the Illusion's stuff. If not better.

and if we add up, the positive comments are more than the negative on it, here.

and from different forum members...

also as it was in the media at the time it came out.

I guess people are so dependent on the idea of success that,

if Chinese Democracy didn't got to be loved by the millions of americans consumers,

than it must have been a bad album. of course it didn't if it lake music videos, and other promotion wise

but, it's clear as day light that music videos are the best way to promote music.

and... that's why GNR has now a trial going on with the former manager, u know?

This album fulfill my expectations,

and at least of 1 mil people around the globe

(I'm taking a third from the sum that apparently bought the album, see, not even a half)

and still you have a lot of people who do like it.

And, the sound it's GNR's with a new vibe to it, what I was hoping for,

because, after all we are not in 1987 anymore.

So, for me, it goes to show that's the reason that it took that much to complete and took out,

because it take's time to get players feel GNR sound and then reproduce it,

and then to come out with a new song in GNR style,

and the hats down for all people involved in doing this.

and what ever you chose to look at it,

Chinese Democracy era is what kept interest in GNR all this years,

all the rumors, all the band members that came and went away

especially no comment attitude of Axl's about what happen in GNR between 1992-1997,

especially his lack of communication with fans,

especially all this was what made GNR the more interesting.

I guess that if you didn't get it all this years, prior to the release of Chinese Democracy

you will never get it.

but, let me try to help some of you out there,

GNR is a rock n' roll band and brand,

so you like it, it's your problem, and that means that you like it as it is,

and not as you want it to be.

if you don't, then by all means leave it - or as the man put it - drop it like is hot

because nobody put a gun or for that matter a rose to your head to like it,

that's why we got this lyric - nobody owns you, not one god damn thing

therefore, if you're not into real rock n' roll attitude

than you can roll on to the next band that fulfills you're demands.

you could say am of topic,

but I'm not,

because Chinese Democracy on it's all is a clear message to all

who wanna hear it - GNR is alive. and it rocks!

Edited by STARABOSTES