Greatest Hits tops the 5 million mark

Alpachiris

Guns N' Roses' 2004 compilation Greatest Hits tops the 5 million mark in sales this week. It's the band's second album to reach this plateau. Its 1987 debut, Appetite For Destruction, has sold 5,082,000 copies since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991. (It sold millions more copies in its first four years of release.

chart_watch-626280860-1307552537_thumb.jpg?ymZ8TJFDKo0Y.onp

LINK

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/74373/week-ending-june-5-2011-albums-gagas-record-drop-off/

Edited by Alpachiris

Wait both Use Your Illusions sold over 5 million...

Wikipedia is telling me that Nielsen has UYI I at 5.5 million as of 2010. Confusing.

WTFUDGE what are you guys talking about?

Both UYI's are certified 7x Platinum and according to Wiki have sold 5.5, so....?

Its all according to Nielsen, they started keeping track in 1991 shortly after UYI came out. Notice how the article in the original post has Appetite at only a little over 5 million?

Chinese Democracy 11.000.000

LINK

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N%27_Roses

Whatever

CD sold a lot when BestBuy put the price down a few months ago, it even came back in BillBoards top 200 so it wouldn't suprise me.

btw, greatest hits should be called greatest shits, Ain't It Fun? Sympathy For The Devil? Live and let Die?

Edited by UcudBmineCD

LINK

Whatever

CD sold a lot when BestBuy put the price down a few months ago, it even came back in BillBoards top 200 so it wouldn't suprise me.

btw, greatest hits should be called greatest shits, Ain't It Fun? Sympathy For The Devil? Live and let Die?

Best Buy only bought a certain amount of copies of CD (3 million?), so it doesn't matter how many they sold. There's no way it sold 6 million more copies (if you believe the 5 million number).

LINK

Whatever

Best Buy only bought a certain amount of copies of CD (3 million?), so it doesn't matter how many they sold. There's no way it sold 6 million more copies (if you believe the 5 million number).

you forget that bestbuy was the only store selling them in america, you can get it anywhere in europe

LINK

Whatever

you forget that bestbuy was the only store selling them in america, you can get it anywhere in europe

I didn't forget that. I just don't think A) Best Buy sold all 3 million they ordered and the rest of the world bought 8 million or B) Best Buy sold 1-2 million and the rest of the world bought 9-10 million.

Different Wikis give different figures:

"Commercial performance

The album was initially released November 22, 2008 in Germany,[62] Switzerland,[63] and Austria.[64] It was released on November 23, 2008, worldwide, except in the United Kingdom on November 24, 2008.[65] Chinese Democracy debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 261,000 copies in its first week, well below expectations.[1][66][67] The album also debuted at #2 on the UK Albums Chart,[68] coming in behind The Killers' album Day & Age. Chinese Democracy was certified Platinum by the RIAA on February 3, 2009.[3][69] Chinese Democracy secured an IFPI European Platinum Award, having sold more than one million copies in Europe,[70][71] and had sold 2.6 million units worldwide as of February 2009, according to Universal Music.[69] The album also reached triple platinum certification in Canada, as well as platinum certifications in many other countries, including Finland, Czech Republic, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Romania, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Argentina,Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.[72] It was certified gold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Hungary, the Netherlands, Sweden, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Brazil, and Colombia.[72] It re-entered the Billboard 200 again in the week ending April, 3, 2011, selling 3,200 copies, enough for the 198 position. To date, the album has sold 614,000 copies in the US according to Nielsen Soundscan.[73]"

LINK

Whatever

What hits do you suggest they be replaced by? Its a greatest hits collection, not a best of collection. Radio friendly songs that charted well, thats what they were going for.

LINK

Whatever

What hits do you suggest they be replaced by? Its a greatest hits collection, not a best of collection. Radio friendly songs that charted well, thats what they were going for.

this is the original tracklist:

No. Title

1. "Welcome to the Jungle"

2. "Sweet Child o' Mine"

3. "Patience"

4. "Paradise City"

5. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

6. "Civil War"

7. "You Could Be Mine"

8. "Don't Cry"

9. "November Rain"

10. "Live and Let Die"

11. "Yesterdays"

12. "Ain't It Fun"

13. "Since I Don't Have You"

14. "Sympathy for the Devil"

this is what i would've liked to see

No. Title

2. "Sweet Child o' Mine"

3. "Patience"

4. "Paradise City"

6. "Civil War"

7. "You Could Be Mine"

8. "Don't Cry"

9. "November Rain"

10. "Rocket Queen"

11. "Coma"

12. "Dead Horse"

13. "Estranged"

14. "Locomotive"

Edited by UcudBmineCD

LINK

Whatever

this is the original tracklist:

No. Title

2. "Sweet Child o' Mine"

3. "Patience"

4. "Paradise City"

6. "Civil War"

7. "You Could Be Mine"

8. "Don't Cry"

9. "November Rain"

10. "Live and Let Die"

11. "Yesterdays"

12. "Ain't It Fun"

13. "Since I Don't Have You"

14. "Sympathy for the Devil"

No. Title

2. "Sweet Child o' Mine"

3. "Patience"

4. "Paradise City"

6. "Civil War"

7. "You Could Be Mine"

8. "Don't Cry"

9. "November Rain"

10. "Rocket Queen"

11. "Coma"

12. "Dead Horse"

13. "Estranged"

14. "Locomotive"

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous that a band that has SUCH a great back catalogue is forced to release a greatest hits disc that includes 5 cover song...I'm OK with Heaven's Door, cuz Guns just made that song into smth. else, but the others should not be there, live and let die works for the live shows, but i'm not a fan of the song on record

Edited by ppruks

No. Title

2. "Sweet Child o' Mine"

3. "Patience"

4. "Paradise City"

6. "Civil War"

7. "You Could Be Mine"

8. "Don't Cry"

9. "November Rain"

10. "Rocket Queen"

11. "Coma"

12. "Dead Horse"

13. "Estranged"

14. "Locomotive"

Good bunch of those weren't hits though, how could they be on a "Greatest Hits"?

It should have been a "Best of Guns N' Roses". A lot of their great songs were never "hits'

The door is still open for that to get made sometime. I remember somebody posted the artwork for a proposed Best Of that never got made or released, although there were rumblings of it at the time...

But I doubt it'll move nearly as many units as GH, for you see, the hardcores already have all the songs, and the casual fans already have all the songs they want on GH.

Appetite for Destruction 33.000.000

G N' R Lies 13.300.000

Use Your Illusion I 20.400.000

Use Your Illusion II 20.800.000

The Spaghetti Incident? 6.000.000

LINK

yeah was gana say UYI 1 & 2 are both over 8 mill in USA soooo...yeah these soundscan stats really need to be better updated i have always said they suck

It singles only (+Sympathy), correct? Even so at the very least Nightrain, Nice boys and Used to love her are pretty well known songs that could have been in there and made the compilation better.

Sympathy was a single.

No. Title

2. "Sweet Child o' Mine"

3. "Patience"

4. "Paradise City"

6. "Civil War"

7. "You Could Be Mine"

8. "Don't Cry"

9. "November Rain"

10. "Rocket Queen"

11. "Coma"

12. "Dead Horse"

13. "Estranged"

14. "Locomotive"

Good bunch of those weren't hits though, how could they be on a "Greatest Hits"?

It should have been a "Best of Guns N' Roses". A lot of their great songs were never "hits'

This. some of their ''hits'' weren't hits to me and to many others.