Craftsmanship on CD

shotgunblues1978

Haven't listened to CD in a long time until tonight. Then, listened to the album, and afterward stumbled across the Prostitute instrumental and had to start a thread :tongue2:

While I think everyone agrees that the album took too long to release, you listen to this song and you at least get a picture of the time/thought/craftsmanship that went into. What I love about Prostitute is that it is all built around a very simple, lilting piano riff that despite its simplicity has an inherent elegance and beauty to it; it's hard to quantify it. The irony of course is that the song, as heavily crafted, Pro Tooled, and layered as it is, is all built around that simple, bittersweet piano melody. However, the "effort" put into it is also impressive on its own

This instrumental certainly takes on a cool, beautiful journey during its 6+ minutes. My favorite parts:

1:15-1:34

1:40-2:08

2:41-3:16

3:42-4:02

Enjoy

Definitely one of the best songs I've ever heard. Simply amazing.

The only thing that I can see that others may sort of dislike about it is the name. It's odd telling one of your friends to listen to this song and they ask what it is called, everyone's reaction is different. (I know it's sounds like horse hockey, but I imagine lots of people had a preconceived notion about the song by it's name, I know I did)

Although after hearing the song hundreds of times throughout the past 3 years the name doesn't bother me any.

Definitely one of the best songs I've ever heard. Simply amazing.

The only thing that I can see that others may sort of dislike about it is the name. It's odd telling one of your friends to listen to this song and they ask what it is called, everyone's reaction is different. (I know it's sounds like horse hockey, but I imagine lots of people had a preconceived notion about the song by it's name, I know I did)

Although after hearing the song hundreds of times throughout the past 3 years the name doesn't bother me any.

i dont know, i think the name made perfect sense, when in relation to the song although the name Prostitute, next to the GnR logo, would make people think of a prostitute rather than Axls disdain at the record label expecting him to prostitute his own ethics, morales and art for money, but maybe thats the point, in an ironic way to through you off what you thought

Is it just me, or is Prostitute one of the weaker songs on the album?

To me it sounds like an overblown mess with no direction.

i think it is just you, haha, of course there will be others for me its one of CD best songs and one of axls too

the vocal and piano mix I heard was great but there's something fascinating about the full on version, like just now I heard an almost acoustic kind of layer going on I hadn't heard before.

for me it's like Coma or Estranged it's a song that will grow in popularity.

Probably my favorite on the album, but it honestly changes based on my mood. I always will have a special place in my heart for it for no other reason then it was the first song I ever heard a title for way back in '99 in what I believe was an article in Spin. In the Axl Chats someone asked about some of his favorite parts on the album and he referenced Buckethead's "evenflow" type guitar part on Prostitute or something to that effect. Can anyone point out where in the song this takes place, if you could just list the time of the song where it hits it would be greatly appreciated.

Same here. To me it's just too much for what the song actually is. It could have been easily stripped down a bit and it would've sounded 10x better.

Prostitute and all the other songs have amazing "craftsmanship"

The whole album is a masterpiece really.

there are the good bits but we should not turn our eye to the bad;

consider the intro to the title track. or more like, consider the completely unnecessary and bad sounding THREE intros that build up to exactly nothing - the song starts with the nine inch nails riff and everything before that is a dumb waste of time ...

... and there are other moments of foolishness on the record aswell.

but I guess thats what happens when an erratic artist gets too much power - they love their own baby too much and simply can't perform the necessary surgeries that an actual producer would administer.

Prostitute and all the other songs have amazing "craftsmanship"

The whole album is a masterpiece really.

there are the good bits but we should not turn our eye to the bad;

consider the intro to the title track. or more like, consider the completely unnecessary and bad sounding THREE intros that build up to exactly nothing - the song starts with the nine inch nails riff and everything before that is a dumb waste of time ...

... and there are other moments of foolishness on the record aswell.

but I guess thats what happens when an erratic artist gets too much power - they love their own baby too much and simply can't perform the necessary surgeries that an actual producer would administer.

It's music and no two are going to have the same opinion that much is clear, but as for the title track I love the song and the intro. I've always thought it added a ton to the song and building up the mysterious aspects of the whole process. I remember when we first got that intro off some promo for the upcoming album and people wondered if it was fake, I prayed that it wasn't. I love that the album starts with the intro that picks you up for a listening journey and then the outro for Prostitute drops you off safely to contemplate what you just took in. Did you think that the intro to Civil War was a "dumb waste of time" also, because I think that adds quite a bit to that song as well. The outro to Locomotive is also one of my favorite things Guns put down on record. These little touches make the songs that much more special, and even though we are gonna have different opinions on them(and that's fine) I felt the need to show that their is a flip side to your coin.

Guest gunns5

Same here. To me it's just too much for what the song actually is. It could have been easily stripped down a bit and it would've sounded 10x better.

then the album would be titled 'slash' , so no thanks, I love the grandiose sound of C-D.