Tracing GnR's Roots

DownUnderScott

Hi all, I know it is hard work being a GnR fan - i've been one for over twenty years. Lots of ups and downs and times of waiting. Yes we are eager fuckers but who could blame us when waiting for the best band in the world to give us more! :) Anyway, Recently I have thought to buy Cd's from artists that were considered some of Axl's / GnR's influences. So I have started with The Rolling Stones. When I recall the Stones I thought of their big mainstream hits that were about in the eighties. I didn't think that much of them - apart from having a general idea of their popularity I guess I didn't give them a try.

Well, fuck me. They are amazing. I can definitely hear the influence they had on the original GnR. Three albums in particular are outstanding - Sticky Fingers - standout tracks would be Sister Morphine, Wild Horses, Sway, and Brown Sugar. Beggars Banquet - standout tracks include Sympathy for the Devil, Street Fighting Man, Jigsaw Puzzle, No expectations, and Salt of The Earth. And finally - Let it Bleed with its standout songs being Midnight Rambler, You can't always get what you want, and Gimmie Shelter (What is that instrument in the beginning of Gimmie Shelter? - it sounds very similar to the beginning of 'Anything Goes' !).

So I would definitely recommend buying some Stones for those of you that haven't given them a go. They are brilliant and I sure could hear and feel the influence that they had on Izzy and Slash, as well as possibly Axl. So I was wondering if anyone else has some recommendations for artists or albums that were also considered part of GnR's inspirations/influences ? Maybe Queen, Led Zep, ELO, Aerosmith ???

Hi all, I know it is hard work being a GnR fan - i've been one for over twenty years. Lots of ups and downs and times of waiting. Yes we are eager fuckers but who could blame us when waiting for the best band in the world to give us more! :) Anyway, Recently I have thought to buy Cd's from artists that were considered some of Axl's / GnR's influences. So I have started with The Rolling Stones. When I recall the Stones I thought of their big mainstream hits that were about in the eighties. I didn't think that much of them - apart from having a general idea of their popularity I guess I didn't give them a try.

Well, fuck me. They are amazing. I can definitely hear the influence they had on the original GnR. Three albums in particular are outstanding - Sticky Fingers - standout tracks would be Sister Morphine, Wild Horses, Sway, and Brown Sugar. Beggars Banquet - standout tracks include Sympathy for the Devil, Street Fighting Man, Jigsaw Puzzle, No expectations, and Salt of The Earth. And finally - Let it Bleed with its standout songs being Midnight Rambler, You can't always get what you want, and Gimmie Shelter (What is that instrument in the beginning of Gimmie Shelter? - it sounds very similar to the beginning of 'Anything Goes' !).

So I would definitely recommend buying some Stones for those of you that haven't given them a go. They are brilliant and I sure could hear and feel the influence that they had on Izzy and Slash, as well as possibly Axl. So I was wondering if anyone else has some recommendations for artists or albums that were also considered part of GnR's inspirations/influences ? Maybe Queen, Led Zep, ELO, Aerosmith ???

I really don't mean to be a nit picking douchebag but the song you listed are from around 1967 to 1981. But this is a brilliant idea.

Rose Tattoo and Hanoi Rocks are huge influences on GN'R. Axl was a huge fan of Elton John.

I really don't mean to be a nit picking douchebag but the song you listed are from around 1967 to 1981. But this is a brilliant idea.

Rose Tattoo and Hanoi Rocks are huge influences on GN'R. Axl was a huge fan of Elton John.

Yeah, I can totally see Elton John when Axl sits at that piano. Thats a pretty damn good Songwriter to aspire to. Any ideas of one single Hanoi Rocks album to try and buy that represents their best work?

Cheers, Scott

I was going to say Thin Lizzy but it was already mentioned. Slash and Steven used to sneak into clubs to see Van Halen before they broke big. If you break down EVH's guitar parts, it's got a bluesy side to it that a lot of metal guitarists missed, but Slash seemed to find. And you cannot leave out Aerosmith at all.

(What is that instrument in the beginning of Gimmie Shelter? - it sounds very similar to the beginning of 'Anything Goes' !).

Voicebox/talkbox/squeezebox

whatever you call it.

I'm pretty sure it's the same, just sped up in Anything Goes.

How bout New York Dolls?

GNR really hit Human Being out of the park.

also check out Lonley Planet Boy, Bad Girl, Frankenstien, Making Rain. I could see Axl singing those songs.

Edited by packersnroses

I think Axl is as "classic rock" as anyone from original GNR. He took Sebastian Bach out on tour twice. You dont get much more classic rock than that. Anyway in my opinion there is no such thing as classic rock, its just rock music.

People critisise Slash for making classic rock music, but there are bands around today making that music that were barely born when UYI came out let alone AFD.

(What is that instrument in the beginning of Gimmie Shelter? - it sounds very similar to the beginning of 'Anything Goes' !).

Voicebox/talkbox/squeezebox

whatever you call it.

I'm pretty sure it's the same, just sped up in Anything Goes.

How bout New York Dolls?

GNR really hit Human Being out of the park.

also check out Lonley Planet Boy, Bad Girl, Frankenstien, Making Rain. I could see Axl singing those songs.

Oh cool, thanks mate!

Wasn't that the point of The Spaghetti Incident? GNR influences, plus all the bands stated above :-)

Sorry, maybe I haven't been clear enough. Basically I am just saying that while waiting for GnR to release any new music in the future that it is an interesting exercise to personally get into their old reported influences. And I was just giving my own personal account of doing exactly this by starting with The Rolling Stones.

In the past I have read about who their influences were but I was just wondering if anyone actually has listened in depth to these bands/ artists and can personally describe how they think it they can, or can't, hear the influence, and how they may have influenced Guns etc...

Also, as there are a lot of young people here (I'm an old bastard at 38yrs) , they may not have really given the time to appreciate some of these older bands that are mentioned in people's responses above. I must admit I was a bit ignorant of how good The Stones actually were.

Thats all. :)

What about the guys from CD? i mean Fink, Bucket, Brain, Stinson, Pitman, Reed, Freese n Tobias?... any interview with them u guys rememer? i would like to know from where they come from to see their colaborations to CD :)

Beatles, Billy Joel (Axl), Cheap Trick, Clash, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Bad Company, Free, MC5, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Faces, Who, Bowie, Prince (Duff), Slade, Elvis, Grand Funk Railroad, Smack, Yardbirds etc.etc.

Edited by makkonen

What about the guys from CD? i mean Fink, Bucket, Brain, Stinson, Pitman, Reed, Freese n Tobias?... any interview with them u guys rememer? i would like to know from where they come from to see their colaborations to CD :)

It would be nice to know their influences as well.

Buckethead:

Buckethead has cited Michael Jackson, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Yngwie Malmsteen, Bootsy Collins and Angus Young (AC/DC) as major inspirations as well as the experience of playing with Bill Laswell, Bernie Worrell, John Zorn, the Invisibl Skratch Picklz and other artists he has played and collaborated with. He also finds inspiration in books, sci-fi/horror movies and athletes, most notably Michael Jordan.

Yeah and I know Bucket was also inspired by the late great Eddie Hazel from Funkadelic and covered Maggot Brain live as well as writing a 'tribute' for Eddie called Maggot Dream. Bucket's Too Many Humans song also sounds a lot like Hazel in parts.