Just one song?

jellyzero

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of the people on here who grew up with the original albums. I got AFD for Christmas when I was 8 years old (I am 32 now) and I have followed the band, purchased every album on the release date, bought books, been to several shows, and I was even on the old Dust N Bones mailing list before migrating to this site in 2002 (I think). I feel like I have been waiting for new music since '94 when "Sympathy" was put out and I felt like "cool, another cover but they ARE in the studio". Along with many of you, I checked the internet daily and weekly for ten years just hoping that the music would come out someday. I even believed one of Axl's excuses for it taking so long - that he had been making three albums, not one and they would come out quickly. HE TOLD US THAT (at least he told a crowd of people that).

After all that frustration and bullshit he finally puts out the album and since then he has apparently decided that he won't or can't follow through with his grand three album idea and for all we know has decided that he is going to just fly around the world on his nostalgic cash grab tours. Why can every other artist I love release music in a timely manner and without excuses. We as fans gave him fifteen years to create his masterpiece(s) and he still can't appreciate that we have stuck around long enough to even throw us a bone now and then. It costs $9.99 to put 1 song on iTunes. He had a plan to put out a 16 song album + 3 b-sides initially - where are they? He can't even find the time to finish one song and put it out to gain some traction or good publicity for the tour? IMO they aren't touring CD anymore because back when they toured UYI they still had singles coming out up until the tour was finished but they haven't had 1 single out since the actual CD tour began in 2009.

I know many of you are frustrated like I am and feel let down that Axl's master plan has somehow turned into something we expected from him but he couldn't or wouldn't deliver on. The fact that DJ has been talking about new songs drives me insane since we are still due AT LEAST one more album from the CD sessions that should be finished based on all information given to us prior to Tommy's recent comments. They shouldn't be writing ANYTHING. If he doesn't have another 12 releasable quality songs from those sessions I don't know what to think at this point. I don't want to hear any of this "Axl doesn't owe us anything" horse shit because he actually does. When you tell people that you are working on three albums and they expect that from you then you should deliver on that or at the LEAST give them an explanation as to why you can't or WON'T deliver on your claim.

In closing, Axl, release ONE song. Just one. Put it on iTunes using tunecore or cdbaby, make it a free download on the facebook page or bandcamp release SOMETHING. There is no excuse at this point. I could give a shit less what you PLAN on recording with the current lineup, I want what you have already recorded and I waited over 10 years to hear! If in a six year period GN'R could put out five albums (over 60 songs), a double VHS concert, and three making of VHS videos then why is it that over (more than) a ten year period this incarnation can't put out more than 15 songs?

So release a song, Axl, even one of the B sides you promised - we don't care. We just want to hear something new. Why should we give you another 4 years to put out an album when we gave you over ten years before?

That does not explain the only 284 posts since 2003.

>only 160 posts in 8 months

I once did 100+ in a day :shades:

Here's my best understanding/guesstimate -

There's fair evidence that felt unsupported by Interscope/Universal/Geffen this last turn, and fair evidence Interscope/Universal/Geffen lost patience or didn't care.

This is a problem.

Since Best Buy handed over a check, it was a good deal for Interscope/Universal/Geffen.

But what's in it for them to release more music? To hand over another advance? To divert marketing and staff to another release? To put their corporate logo on it? They've got shareholders, after all. No one wants press about a flop. It could be better for them to just say "well, we can't support a release right now, the time's not right, it won't sell enough". They still get to sell GNR's back catalog and Axl's tied up... can't have him splitting and then writing a number 1 hit. Risk management. The numbers might say "doing nothing" is worth more than...dropping him, or letting new music come out.

Because - in general - the LABEL owns the recordings. It's not Axl's music to release...really. He owes them the music. And they can sit on it.

Other bands put out EPs, or digital downloads, because the label is supporting them...or the have gone independent. Sure, Axl could leave Interscope/Universal/Geffen...maybe negotiate to take his recordings with him... but at what financial cost? Maybe even though the right hand doesn't want to deal with him, maybe the left hand can be pretty....helpful.

The reality is you can't just say "I want to put out a record!" because it's someone else's money, someone else's property (in a way). Sure, in a way, Axl said he feels like they don't have a record company - but they do (unless we hear otherwise). He's married. And this might be... "for worse".

This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

He was on the payroll at the time of the recordings; the release of anything done during that time is in their hands. He may or may not be on the payroll now, but that is a moot point.

You can support the band or you can bitch. In my opinion, it's hard to stay pissed off all the time.

My GNR cup is half fulll...there's room for more, but, man, what we have is a fucking treasure!

Does anyone NOT feel this way and is anyone able to find one decent explanation as to why the man can't do this?

Yes, I can answer that. Because

He

Does

Not

Owe

Us

SHIT.

Focus on that.

You do realise how the music industry works, right?

GnR and Axl are on tour right now. They want their fans to pay $75 for a ticket, $30 for a shirt and $15 for their last album.

To have this happen, which enables Axl to live in a mansion and like a king....and for him and the band to make a living, they have to do a few things. Go on tour. Release music.

To say that Axl owes us nothing is idiotic.

Without fans, Axl works in a music store or giving singing lessons and makes 30 grand a year. Because of his fans, he makes millionaires of dollars.

And stop with the idiotic comparisons about people think we owe them our personal property. Axl chose to be a singer and to make a living as a musician.

Me telling a funny joke is NOTHING like me being a professional comedian.

The quality of posters on this forum has really went down hill since Rio.

GnR and Axl are on tour right now. They want their fans to pay $75 for a ticket, $30 for a shirt and $15 for their last album.

To have this happen, which enables Axl to live in a mansion and like a king....and for him and the band to make a living, they have to do a few things. Go on tour. Release music.

Without fans, Axl works in a music store or giving singing lessons and makes 30 grand a year. Because of his fans, he makes millionaires of dollars.

And stop with the idiotic comparisons about people think we owe them our personal property. Axl chose to be a singer and to make a living as a musician.

I'm not going to pretend I know more than you or anyone else here, but I'm pretty sure if Axl never played another live show let alone released another album he'd still be living in a mansion. The royalties he's pulled in (and continues to collect) for AFD alone will set him up for life.

When you bought the old albums and went to concerts in the past, do you really believe you were prepaying for new music in 2011 and beyond? "I'm buying this album in 1987, but half this money is really for the album I will be picking up in 2012. Don't blow it!"

Furthermore, like you said, Axl chose to be a singer. Tomorrow he could choose not to be one and then what does he "owe" you?

Then there are a bands that do continue to record and I wish they wouldn't. I want to see them live to hear their hits and then I got to a show and listen to 8 albums worth of crap I never could get into (I'm looking at you Def Leppard).

If you truly feel you've been duped, then move on I suppose. It's not worth getting all torn up about.

Edited by Shack

Does anyone NOT feel this way and is anyone able to find one decent explanation as to why the man can't do this?

Yes, I can answer that. Because

He

Does

Not

Owe

Us

SHIT.

Focus on that.

None of that creates a debt, man.

Now, if you buy that ticket he owes you a show. If none happens, you get a refund. Then you're even again.

You don't get to say, well, I didn't particularly enjoy that show, I wanted it to be different and then get a refund because it's a performance - an art exhibition if you will. That's similar to eating a dinner and then saying you didn't like the flavor. It's caveat emptor - not "Axl owes me."

I can totally understand not wanting to be disappointed by a show, but thinking a performer owes anybody anything is ludicrous. Nobody forced you to buy anything.

No. Each time a fan has paid Axl money that fan has received something in return, a record, a show, some merch, etc. That's how the artist-fan relationship works. So the artist doesn't owe you anything unless you have actually paid for a record without getting it, or paid for a concert without getting, or paid for some t-shirts without getting them. And in these cases you are owed a refund, nothing else. The ONLY way Axl could owe you new music is if you have actually paid Axl to create and release music under some contract, but unless you are some record company I do not believe this to be the case. So stop with the immature bullshit about artists owing you new art just because you are fans and may have devoted a lot of emotional energy into waiting for new art, that is entirely your own stupid decision.

It would definetly be cool of them to release a single while touring. Can't be that difficult.

Don't forget that we're in a GNR FORUM, this is the kind of things we are meant to do in here: DISCUSS

I think that Axl should try to listen to the fans at least a little bit. After all, we have paid for his house on the hills and all the rest. Not like he earned the money sitting in an office Monday-Friday, 9-6.

It would definetly be cool of them to release a single while touring. Can't be that difficult.

Don't forget that we're in a GNR FORUM, this is the kind of things we are meant to do in here: DISCUSS

I think that Axl should try to listen to the fans at least a little bit. After all, we have paid for his house on the hills and all the rest. Not like he earned the money sitting in an office Monday-Friday, 9-6.

Nothing against you, man, but I'm getting annoyed with the copout "this is a discussion forum" thing.

Anything can be considered a discussion, first of all, and secondly it isn't the rhetoric and debate that is offensive to anyone (not me, anyway.) Railing against useless shit talking isn't the same thing as censorship, y'know?

To those saying he doesn't owe us anything... with every year and every tour that passes GNR are losing credibility, fans, and potential new fans.

I live in the UK and was all over the band when they came over in 2002 I knew Maddy and The Blues (as it was) and who the band were and everything. Axl sounded like a wounded puppy, but it was so exciting to have him back it didn't matter.

Plus Maddy and the Blues sounded better back then than the album versions we got, so the future was sort of exciting.

2006 came round and fuck me the voice was back he looked MUCH healthier, he was biting people, it was like 1992 again. (except for albums and single releases). We got the leaks before the tour and everyone anticipated an album release.

Of course this never happened, but the tour was immense and Axl was back.

Then he disappeared the album came out to shit reviews and was essentially a mess and a rush release. A rush release after 15 years. No tour, no press, no interviews, nothing.

Then he came back (again) in 2010... And what a fucking mess he was. I didn't even see them tour when they came here. Embarrassing is not the word. His voice was shot he was out of shape and his face looked like it had melted.

Then there was the fiasco at reading festival (I think) where they were supposed to be shown live, or at least extensive highlights were, and Axl fucked that right up and nothing was shown the night it should have. We waited and got 3 songs.

I have to say I'm glad for Axl that's all we got. November rain was a car crash, This I Love was badly sung... far too much rasp, and again he looked a right state.

My Ex saw them with me in 2006 and loved it, even though she's not a GNR fan at all. It was in Hammersmith Apollo and the place was fucking mental. First look at him on the TV in 2010 playing November Rain and she said "what the fuck has he done to himself" then he sang... OUCH.

I was hoping Axl would come back stronger this time after that fuck up, but no he's the same. Now he's lost the rasp and the control of his voice again. That paradise city they put on facebook was shocking. I thought if GNR put it on there it must be good, I had hopes, but they went after the first line he sung.

So while you say GNR don't owe us anything they don't, but if they want to carry on, and if YOU want them to carry on then they need to do something but these horrible live shows. I was a big fan of Axl's and GNRs but I'm tired of the lack of effort the lack of professionalism and the lack of enthusiasm that Axl has these days. There will be countless posts saying "yeah but people had fun at the concert blah, blah, blah", well good for them. But I was a big fan, and I don't want to see him anymore. I can't imagine casual fans will go to see this and still be around the next time. It will be interesting to see how the US audiences are, and how the press treat them. If they're not careful they could finsih themselves in the US. It looks like Rock in Rio have had enough.

You can say "It's rock and roll" but in the US they don't deal with that shit. If you're late, they'll sue you. They'll probably be suing the promoters because Slash isn't in the band. People do care if you rock up at 1am. At the prices I'd be interested to see how full the arenas are anyway.

If they had an album that all the kids were raving about then it wouldn't matter, but the fact is that won't happen and they haven't even got an album out or coming out.

These things are all linked to keeping your fans happy. Of course with the classic line ups output you will always get interest in this band, but it will dwindle if they don't respect what fans they have. And with little or no new songs, they won't replace them very easily.

I hope Axl pulls his finger out, releases an album, gets his double/tripple chin removed and comes back fighting fit like in 2006. If not I don't see things improving for this band, or me going to see them play.

Edited by Longpig

No. Each time a fan has paid Axl money that fan has received something in return, a record, a show, some merch, etc. That's how the artist-fan relationship works. So the artist doesn't owe you anything unless you have actually paid for a record without getting it, or paid for a concert without getting, or paid for some t-shirts without getting them. And in these cases you are owed a refund, nothing else. The ONLY way Axl could owe you new music is if you have actually paid Axl to create and release music under some contract, but unless you are some record company I do not believe this to be the case. So stop with the immature bullshit about artists owing you new art just because you are fans and may have devoted a lot of emotional energy into waiting for new art, that is entirely your own stupid decision.

That's a real rock and roll attitude right there.

For you its all numbers and dollars and past events.

For me, its more. It is loyalty. Axl has been my favorite singer since 1987. How long for you? For 25 years I've been involved. You?

You just don't get it. Which is sad.

The one good thing is that almost every other major singer in the world cares about their fans. Weird to me that a few of you think that Axl shouldn't. Give me fans that are invested emotionally with their favorite singer and their "art" over fans like you guys, who look at Axl as a corporate entity.

I would hate to look at music and artists like some of you do. And to not have music be a part of your emotional journey of life....to have it touch your soul.......that is just sad.

For me, its more. It is loyalty. Axl has been my favorite singer since 1987. How long for you? For 25 years I've been involved. You?

I get that you have wasted time and effort rooting for the wrong band and are now bitter about it. I get it. I also get that many people confuse their own bitterness and "loyalty" with some sort of entitlement.

I would hate to look at music and artists like some of you do. And to not have music be a part of your emotional journey of life....to have it touch your soul.......that is just sad.

Music touches my soul. But lack of new music from one of the artists I like is not a big problem, then I just listen to the enormous amount of other good music out there. I just can't force myself to be miserable about GN'R not releasing music at a higher frequency. It's impossible to be sad when there's so much great music out there just waiting to be explored.

I get that you have wasted time and effort rooting for the wrong band and are now bitter about it. I get it. I also get that many people confuse their own bitterness and "loyalty" with some sort of entitlement.

Music touches my soul. But lack of new music from one of the artists I like is not a big problem, then I just listen to the enormous amount of other good music out there. I just can't force myself to be miserable about GN'R not releasing music at a higher frequency. It's impossible to be sad when there's so much great music out there just waiting to be explored.

THIS.

Atlas and The General or Soul Monster or Jackie Chan Destroys The World And Births It Again or Tyme or anything else isn't going to be the thing that answers the riddle of your life.

Artists don't create art on demand. That's an artisan.

I wish the best for Axl, he get's my preferential place when it comes to entertainment dollars, I enjoy his work.

But he doesn't owe me anything.

I feel like I have an emotional connection to him, but he doesn't know anything about me or know I exist. I'm sure he's aware of how art creates a kind of transcendental connection. But really - there's millions of us, and one of him. He doesn't know our names. He'll never know our names. And he has a life that belongs to him. He art belongs to HIM. It's not made for us to consume on demand. A musician gives music to people. But... we can't force him to.

And if we were really loyal, why would we want him forced into something that's not ready or something he's not comfortable with? Why debut a song so it can be heard on YouTube?

Music tocuhes my soul, too. But that doesn't make Axl a slave.

Some people get into The Wall and didn't come out of it for year - maybe you need to 'get out of' Chinese and enjoy some other bands and connect with them...just so the burdens not on ONE man?

Trust me - The Blues and This I Love didn't solve any problems in my life.

I'm not sure what you mean to be honest. We can discuss anything we want in this forum. We arent here to please the band (necessarily), we're here to please ourselves after all. I go to concerts and buy records to please the band I like.

Nothing against you, man, but I'm getting annoyed with the copout "this is a discussion forum" thing.

Anything can be considered a discussion, first of all, and secondly it isn't the rhetoric and debate that is offensive to anyone (not me, anyway.) Railing against useless shit talking isn't the same thing as censorship, y'know?

I'm not sure what you mean to be honest. We can discuss anything we want in this forum. We arent here to please the band (necessarily), we're here to please ourselves after all. I go to concerts and buy records to please the band I like.

I'm not bitter at all. This is a rock and roll forum, where people are allowed to discuss issues concerning their favorite band.

And again, sorry the music hasn't touched you as deeply as it has others.

To not have any frustration about your favorite bands lack of music.....I will never understand that. I hate to keep going back to it, but u clearly don't love their music as much as some of us do.

You act like we are harassing and making ridiculous demands of axl. But he is performing right now. They are touring. He has done interviews talking about there being new music and new albums. Band members have talked about it. That's why his real fans are craving it and frustrates right now.

Back when Axl was a recluse, not talking to the media, back when he was supposevly (sp) in the desert trying to find himself......then fans weren't begging for new music. We just wanted him to get healthy and get his life on track.

But today, axl is back and playing the game. He promised new music and he needs fans to substain his career. Pretty simple.

Some of you don't seem to understand what this thread is about. We are not saying that Axl owes us anything, or should dance for us on command. Many comments have been made by Axl and the band suggesting that there is great music just waiting to be explored, but it is not "out there". That is entirely the point here. We are commenting on how sad it is that one of the greatest rock stars ever has managed to release one album of new songs, plus one song on a soundtrack, in almost 20 years, and thinking about what could have been.

Even after a lot of wasted time (there was an album ready for release in 2002, according to all parties), I still wonder what would have happened if Chinese Democracy came out in 2006. Albums sold a little more then than in 2008, Axl looked and sounded fantastic, the band was great. But fine, it didn't happen, fast forward to 2008. What if they had released that Better video, did a cover interview with Rolling Stone, stopped trying to add "finishing touches" for the millionth time at the last second. The public perception of new Guns could be entirely different. We know how great the band was, and most of us love the record. But fine, it didn't happen, the whole Chinese Democracy experience was evidently a nightmare for Axl, and a clusterfuck from beginning to end. So accepting that what happened, happened, we move on. We know there are at least 30 additional finished songs. Axl finally got CD out and buried. Why the fuck not move on since then, and PUT OUT NEW MATERIAL. Really folks, it's not that hard to do. Some have suggested some nonsensical points about how difficult it is to release new songs in 2011, but the truth is, it has never been easier.

Artists don't create art on demand. That's an artisan.

Music tocuhes my soul, too. But that doesn't make Axl a slave.

:confused:

So Axl's a slave if his fans suggest he should release some songs recorded several years ago? Give me a break. We are not allowed to express how much we want to hear some new music from this band? Nobody is demanding that Axl create on demand. The creating has already been done. And the songs weren't recorded for Axl's personal collection, because he himself has said that they didn't record 'em to keep 'em buried. In my view this has more to do with the continued career indecision that Axl struggled with before CD was released. Once he finally got that monkey off his back, it should have been pretty easy to move forward. It hasn't been. Do you think Tommy Stinson and Dizzy Reed are completely ambivalent about all those hours they spend in the recording studio from 1998 until now? This band is so good that it deserves to be heard. Even if they can't decide on what musical direction to take a new album, just release a single. Just do something. Yes it's cool that they are touring, even though it is hella-weird that they keep adding legs to the Chinese Democracy tour that started 9 years ago. But Guns n' Roses circa 2011 could be so much more.

I'm not bitter at all. This is a rock and roll forum, where people are allowed to discuss issues concerning their favorite band.

To not have any frustration about your favorite bands lack of music.....I will never understand that.

Maybe you will when you grow up. I remember being slightly frustrated when UYI were postponed, so I can relate to kids' frustrations. It's the whole "he owes us" argument I have been discussing.

I hate to keep going back to it, but u clearly don't love their music as much as some of us do.

And the reason why you should hate it is because you have no reason to assume I do and hence your conclusion is irrational.

Why the fuck not move on since then, and PUT OUT NEW MATERIAL. Really folks, it's not that hard to do. Some have suggested some nonsensical points about how difficult it is to release new songs in 2011, but the truth is, it has never been easier.

It's not nonsensical.

It's not just Axl's call whether or not to release new music. Universal has the say. That's how the business works.

If the label isn't supportive, it makes things very, very, very hard. Because it's their money and their property.

We are not saying that Axl owes us anything

Some of the guys in this thread was explicitly stating that Axl owes them new music and those and the ones I have been arguing with. If you are not among those then I don't see any reason why you reply to my post.

To not have any frustration about your favorite bands lack of music.....I will never understand that.

Maybe you will when you grow up. I remember being slightly frustrated when UYI were postponed, so I can relate to kids' frustrations. It's the whole "he owes us" argument I have been discussing.

I hate to keep going back to it, but u clearly don't love their music as much as some of us do.

And the reason why you should hate it is because you have no reason to assume I do and hence your conclusion is irrational.

I have pairs of pants that are older than you. But thanks for the chuckle. Shouldn't you be concentrating on your Science teacher right now, instead of being on the internet?

But back to the actual topic and away from the childish insults. Soul, if you are able to talk about the actual topic here, feel free to add your two cents. I appreciate the younger kid's take on things. If you just want to try and show us how clever you are.....well, I guess you can do that as well. But most of us would prefer to hear your actual thoughts on the issue.

"There's been some concern. That if we play five or six new songs, then there can't that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frére. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks. And when that, when the record company feels that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. By that time, I should be done with the third album. So we'll see if all goes well boys and girls." (Axl, Docklands, 08/26/02)

If Axl was in seclusion, living his life, doing his own thing.....then fans wouldn't be begging for new music.

But because he is playing the game now, making promises to fans......then fans want him to come through and honor his statements.

When a band says they are going to release new music and they go on tour, it gets fans excited again. Fans become invested in that band. We bought concert tickets. My son bought a couple CD shirts. I have all the songs the band has released on my computer and IPOD, but because all my old CDs are old and scratched, I went and repurchased them all - from Lies to CD.

By touring, by telling us there was new music coming - Axl got his fanbase excited and re-invested into his band. That is why fans are now frustrated that there is no new music.

While yes Axl doesn't owe us stuff, it is kind of ridiculous to make a bunch of statements and promises as early as 1999 that he never followed up on. To not take those oppurtunities and make something of them is beyond me. Axl stated nearly ever year since 2002 that "the album will be out this year" but it didn't come into fruition until 6 years later. And after that he mentioned the Better video that would be out "in a week or so" and its nearly 3 years later and it still hasn't seen the light of day. And the timeline he alluded to in regards to releasing the "trilogy" has pretty much come and gone.

Edited by WhazUp

I have pairs of pants that are older than you.

Why on earth would you want to tell the forum about your old clothes?

But thanks for the chuckle. Shouldn't you be concentrating on your Science teacher right now, instead of being on the internet?

I don't get the reference.

Soul, if you are able to talk about the actual topic here, feel free to add your two cents.

I have added my two cents. Have I not been clear on why I think Axl doesn't owe any fans anything?

That is why fans are now frustrated that there is no new music.

I understand why kids are frustrated. I have been there myself.