Does Axl use some form of auto tune to enhance the precision of his vocals?

Guest NGOG

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Does Axl use some form of auto tune to enhance the precision of his vocals?

I find it hard to believe the sound produced at 0:03 is natural:

Or perhaps it was the mix?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I thought Axl voiced his distaste of auto-tuning during his interview with Eddie Trunk

I think it’s a cheat; but then again if it’s necessary to get through a show in one piece the lure would be quite compelling.

Well considering the vocal performance that night if there was something to enhance the vocals it did a pretty shitty job

Could Axl’s vocal performance have been a lot worse? I think the answer is yes.

Plus such technology might only apply to certain songs.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

and I hear an echo effect on his voice during Rio but I doubt he is using effects

That’s what I’m trying to get at.

There seems to be some sort of effects going on (particularly in the example I provided). I used “some form of auto tune” as a sort of general term for that.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

He uses echo, but not auto tune. Nothing wrong with echo.

Do you think 0:03 is 100% an Axl effort? It’s a pretty remarkable noise.

Everyone does it. It's mainly there lightly to catch way off notes. Also the sound engineers can turn it on and off or up and down depending on the difficulty of the song to sing. It's no secret everyone uses it.

Also someone mentioned the Eddie Trunk interview in '06, from my recollection Axl was the only one out of Trunk, Jericho, and Baz to not outright say how much he hated it. He in fact said that it made somethings go easier.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Everyone does it. It's mainly there lightly to catch way off notes. Also the sound engineers can turn it on and off or up and down depending on the difficulty of the song to sing. It's no secret everyone uses it.

Also someone mentioned the Eddie Trunk interview in '06, from my recollection Axl was the only one out of Trunk, Jericho, and Baz to not outright say how much he hated it. He in fact said that it made somethings go easier.

Thanks for this contribution.

I don't know about live, but Axl uses it on Chinese Democracy, sometimes a little too much. That's just my own opinion though.

Most notably (for me) in Scraped at 1:19. I meant wtf man it sounds like he just takes the pitch wheel on a keyboard and jams it up. Sometimes I feel like MY life's..... love the song a lot but that kills the feel of the raw angry blues rock song that it is

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

why do you find the 0:03 bit so unnatural? he sounds completely normal to me...

It (the sequence) sounds almost artificial; like elements of Scraped.

I don't know about live, but Axl uses it on Chinese Democracy, sometimes a little too much. That's just my own opinion though.

Most notably (for me) in Scraped at 1:19. I meant wtf man it sounds like he just takes the pitch wheel on a keyboard and jams it up. Sometimes I feel like MY life's..... love the song a lot but that kills the feel of the raw angry blues rock song that it is

All those years he worked on the album, how the hell did they let that line slip? Sounds like a fuckup.

All those years he worked on the album, how the hell did they let that line slip? Sounds like a fuckup.

Didn't Axl say during the chats that it was intentional? I don't remember the exact quote and I'm too lazy too look it up lol but I think that's what he said

Weeks of people bitching about his rio vocals and now this. Some people need to get laid or something.

I was thinking the same thing. Everyone's been complaining up a storm about Axl's voice since Rio and now someone claims to think he's cheating?

Also, auto-tune is different from many live tools used by singers all over the world, all day every day.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Everyone's been complaining up a storm about Axl's voice since Rio and now someone claims to think he's cheating?

Inaccurate.

I don’t have a problem with Axl incorporating technology to help maintain his incredibly difficult vocal style in an era of cynicism and critique for rock stars.

He uses echo, but not auto tune. Nothing wrong with echo.

Do you think 0:03 is 100% an Axl effort? It’s a pretty remarkable noise.

I don't hear any remarkable noise...

Sorry.

Same

also autotune is only used in studio and is not used in live time :rolleyes: