Will we ever hear Oh My God again?

volcano62

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's obvious that there's a desire to play it (if not from Axl then at least the band) considering they've been playing it. I think it's a decent aggressive rock song which could be excellent live if Axl manages to retain the power in his voice throughout.

I think it's obvious that there's a desire to play it (if not from Axl then at least the band) considering they've been playing it. I think it's a decent aggressive rock song which could be excellent live if Axl manages to retain the power in his voice throughout.

playing it?

how many times? 1 ou 2?

I think it'd be an interesting track to throw in but I'd much rather hear something from the vault which Axl clearly has at his disposal. I hadn't listened to OMG until a couple months back, took a while to appreciate it but would be a welcome addition in place of a cover tune. I love the GOTCHA part.

Wishful thinking. They're not gonna bring back their biggest dud in their career.

/opinion.

Plenty of people also think it's one of their finest moments to date. I really hope we get to hear it again this year...I'm Tweeting #OhMyGod to GN'R every night there's a show, and I'd encourage as many other people as possible to do so as well. We need to make it known that we'd love to hear it live! :thumbsup:

I hope so. Otherwise I know a certain member on this forums with a certain sig that'll probably break down and cry. :)

you got that right !

(read my sig)

Wishful thinking. They're not gonna bring back their biggest dud in their career.

/opinion.

Plenty of people also think it's one of their finest moments to date. I really hope we get to hear it again this year...I'm Tweeting #OhMyGod to GN'R every night there's a show, and I'd encourage as many other people as possible to do so as well. We need to make it known that we'd love to hear it live! :thumbsup:

Opinion of the majority, and majority rules. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but why would they give a second helpings of a song that was their most critically and commercially panned single to date, when nobody cared the first time around? A few requests on a fan forum is not gonna change that. I highly doubt that they'd play it to a stadium where very few people would care, or appreciate it.

Well they played it at soundcheck before Rio, so it's certainly considered an option.

/opinion.

Opinion of the majority, and majority rules. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but why would they give a second helpings of a song that was their most critically and commercially panned single to date, when nobody cared the first time around? A few requests on a fan forum is not gonna change that. I highly doubt that they'd play it to a stadium where very few people would care, or appreciate it.

Majority rules? :lol: Whatever the majority opinion of fans is, it's irrelevant since they're not the ones picking the setlists. If the majority opinion of the fans dictated setlists, there would be no solo spots, no covers, and probably no songs by the original band for that matter. Besides, you don't account for the fact that there is still interest within the band regarding the song. Clearly there is a want to play it live again, and that counts for more than anything.

Edited by Powerage5

I'm not trying to sound like a dick

Just did.

but why would they give a second helpings of a song that was their most critically and commercially panned single to date, when nobody cared the first time around? A few requests on a fan forum is not gonna change that. I highly doubt that they'd play it to a stadium where very few people would care, or appreciate it.

Yeah, they were rehearsing it in Rio after 10 years (when was a completely different lineup) just to fuck with fans standing in the line.

But they're not gonna pick something that they KNOW got major backlash and ridicule. If they really wanted to put the song back out there, wouldn't they have done so already? What are they waiting for, the US tour? :rofl-lol:

...You mean like solo spots (Which people have constantly complained about for 10 years), The "same old, same old" songs (i.e. most of AFD, Patience and a handful of Illusions tracks), and more covers?

But they're not gonna pick something that they KNOW got major backlash and ridicule. If they really wanted to put the song back out there, wouldn't they have done so already? What are they waiting for, the US tour? :rofl-lol:

Yes, they also know it's 2011. It's been ten years since they first played Oh My God, so maybe the second time around could prove a success. There's no flaw in trying it again.

So... they didn't play Estranged for the last ten years either. Weird logic.

The solo spots aren't THAT bothersome. Not to the degree of one of their most hated songs right next to "My World". And while I do think the constant covers (referring to the appetite, lies, and uyi material) covers too much of the setlist, let's be real here. Nobody would really care about going to a show just strictly based on Nu Guns material. The old stuff is a necessity. "Oh My God", would just be seen as another bathroom break for most.

So, in what way do you know that OMG is their most hated song next to "My World."

The solo spots aren't THAT bothersome. Not to the degree of one of their most hated songs right next to "My World". And while I do think the constant covers (referring to the appetite, lies, and uyi material) covers too much of the setlist, let's be real here. Nobody would really care about going to a show just strictly based on Nu Guns material. The old stuff is a necessity. "Oh My God", would just be seen as another bathroom break for most.

So, in what way do you know that OMG is their most hated song next to "My World."

Because I was alive in 1999.

So was I.

Seriously, how do you know that that this is their "biggest dud ever" as so you say? What, critics didn't like it?

So... they didn't play Estranged for the last ten years either. Weird logic.

So you think they're gonna add back their biggest dud ever? Even weirder logic.

It's on their setlist, so yeah I would say it's a good chance.

I think the song is pretty good actually. Would be interesting to hear the changes they've done with the song.

Critics AND fans hated it. It was intended to be their big comeback single, and flopped in every way possible, including the charts. They played it, what, four times TOTAL before getting rid of it and scrapping it from the album.

SOME fans hated it. Plenty of fans rank it among their favorite GN'R songs. Critically, it flopped because it's not what the majority expected when it came to new material from GN'R, it was such a departure from anything they'd ever done (Or more or less, have done since). That by no means makes it a bad song.