Why was Shadow of Your Love cut from Live?!*@ Like a Suicide?

saber_

Maybe they still wanted to save it for AFD at that point

So then the question becomes why was it cut from AFD?

Just a thought. Back then albums were on cassette too, which I own, and

I think they wanted both sides to be equal length, soi it got cut. (Plausible!)

That is most certainly plausible. Here's a rundown of the songs. Side B is more than a minute longer than side A. However I acknowledge that, either way, adding another song would create a lot of blank tape on the other side.

1."Reckless Life" – 3:20

2. "Nice Boys" – 3:03

3. "Move to the City" – 3:42

4. "Mama Kin" – 3:57

Edited by Popcorn's Timbre

I really can't believe no one has said this already...but Shadow of your Love is by far their cheesiest song they've ever written...I mean come on, Anything Goes and Think About You are the cheesiest songs on Appetite, but still a step above SOYL. Reckless Life is much better than SOYL...no comparison IMO. I'd rather have had Crash Diet or even Just Another Sunday on there before Shadow of your love.

Just my 2 cents. Never liked the song, always thought it sounded like 1984 era 80's cheese, while the rest (most) of Guns material sounds timeless (for the most part).

It was good, but not really worth taking anything else out for...

You think Anything Goes is a better song? :shocked:

yes, Shadow is a straight up rocker, but there's better rockers in AFD and Lies. Anything Goes has a lot more going on, the talkbox riff, the changing tempos in the verses/chorus, the back and forth stereo solo, the stops in the middle, the cadence in the vocals has a lot more swagger, and the swing-y ending is brilliant. Adler sounds perfect on this song.

Edited by moreblack

It was good, but not really worth taking anything else out for...

You think Anything Goes is a better song? :shocked:

yes, Shadow is a straight up rocker, but there's better rockers in AFD and Lies. Anything Goes has a lot more going on, the talkbox riff, the changing tempos in the verses/chorus, the back and forth stereo solo, the stops in the middle, the cadence in the vocals has a lot more swagger, and the swing-y ending is brilliant. Adler sounds perfect on this song.

Agreed Anything Goes imo is underrated. Sure the lyrics may not be Shakespeare but I dig it

Personally, I prefer this version of Anything Goes over AFD's. AFD's version is good on its own accord, but damn I find the Hollywood Rose version more infectious. I love the solo too, cheesy or not.

As for Shadow of Your Love being cheesy or not being worthy, I must disagree. It's worthy. It's worthy. Since everyone seems to favor Anything Goes on AFD (which I can understand, it's gotta good groove to it, i just like HR's better if I had to choose), then I'm sure they would like what the AFD lineup would've done with its interpretation of Shadow of Your Love.

Shadow of Your Love is good shit, what the fuck are you talking about: lol

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the song from the remastered Lies album? It was reportedly included as a bonus.

Please don't tell me to rip it off youtube either. I want the best possible quality.

It's available on the LALD CD single. Never released on any version of Lies.

On topic, I think it should've replaced Anything Goes on AFD. Never cared for the version of Anything Goes on the album, the Hollywood Rose version just kicked too much ass.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the song from the remastered Lies album? It was reportedly included as a bonus.

Please don't tell me to rip it off youtube either. I want the best possible quality.

On topic, I think it should've replaced Anything Goes on AFD. Never cared for the version of Anything Goes on the album, the Hollywood Rose version just kicked too much ass.

This version is not on LALD single. A different studio version is, where Axl says "Wake up It's time to play".

This 'Pseudo Live' version was only found on the 'Live from the Jungle' EP.

This version is not on LALD single. A different studio version is, where Axl says "Wake up It's time to play".

This 'Pseudo Live' version was only found on the 'Live from the Jungle' EP.

I may be mistaken...I don't have the CD single handy, and I don't have the tracks on my iPod. I could swear it was the pseudo live version though...

I've never cared for Shadow of Your Love. It almost feels too short or something, like the song isn't fleshed out enough. I know that's kind of the idea, just a fast paced rocker but when comparing it to say Garden of Eden or Perfect Crime, it just doesn't feel as complete. Maybe a bigger solo part or bridge could have fleshed it out a little more, otherwise it just feels like Axl is spitting out verse after verse. The chorus goes by so fast it's almost non-existent and it just sounds empty. I know early Guns recordings/Appetite aren't exactly filled with gang vocals but I think that could have really made the chorus in Shadow of Your Love stand out better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...