Notes That You Look For Live

uzi your illusion

There are a few different parts in songs that I have always specifically looked for on bootlegs to see how strong is voice is at a certain point in time. Such as in "Nightrain" at around the 2:45 mark on the studio album , when sung live he holds the "Flying like an airplane" a bit longer and when he's really on fire it sounds epic. Another one is the final scream in "You Could Be Mine' . What are some of the ones you guys use you tell where his voice is at on any given night?

His voice isn't quite at the 2010 rasp yet, but technically his voice has improved alot since Rio. He hits the notes with much higher precision. Some people are too blinded by the fact he still sings pretty clean to notice he's singing much better with every show.

Groghan, not trying to nit pick just a few points that i subconsciously always seem to notice. There actually just my favorite vocal moments and I like to hear them the best. The opening to Jungle is a definite one, I'm dying to hear him do the "Do you know where the FUCK you are?". Has he done that exact intro in the last few years?

The intro scream in WTTJ.

Love the intro scream but it doesn't really seem to be a reliable indicator, he can deliver a monster of a scream and then be breathless for the rest of the song....VMA of course comes to mind among others. Of course, at other times kickass scream is followed by a kickass performance, and then everything's golden

2nd part of estranged.

Is this being sarcastic, cause of all the people complaining that he doesn't use enough rasp? If not is there a performance from this tour that sticks out that you liked the best?

No uzi. Im not being sarcastic In anyway but I dont think there Is enough rasp In any of the 2011 versions. My favorite versions are Stuttgart 92, Uniondale 91, toronto 91 and New Haven 93.

I like it as raspy as it can be too don't get me wrong, but I'll take Estranged anyway I can get it. I like Oklahoma '92 where he throws in "I doubt it" after the "Maybe I'll get it right next time" . Another one I look for him to nail is the "break the chains, we built together" part in Maddy.

I like it as raspy as it can be too don't get me wrong, but I'll take Estranged anyway I can get it. I like Oklahoma '92 where he throws in "I doubt it" after the "Maybe I'll get it right next time" . Another one I look for him to nail is the "break the chains, we built together" part in Maddy.

I agree on taking It anyway you can get It and the I doubt It part. I have to admit though In my opinion Maddy would have been a much better song without the Martin Luther King speech.

See this is whats great about this album, theres 1000 different parts to take a 1000 different ways. To me personally the speech makes the song. The way I take it is that the whole narrative of the speech tells about how the old band came apart at the seams. The whole "everybody says we could do anything, but maybe it matters more then we could ever know" , sounds like the period after UYI where the record label and press were looking for them to put out an album in any form just to have product out there. But Axl knew that the music had to evolve if they didn't want it to be written off like any of the 80's bands releasing albums at that time (I.E Motley Crue 94, Poison "Native Tongue" , Def Lepard "Adrenalize"). It's all open to interpretation though thats the best part.

Agreed. I always thought the quotes section was most interesting and that the rest was a little boring. But Madagascar's grown on me a lot (I used to always skip it), just like most other GnR songs that I dislike at first. And it's epic when played live.

There are many distinguishing marks, the highest of which is the inclusion of the rarely spotted beast, 'with your ass in the air' in YCBM, as one person noted - havent heard it recently; even oddly at the show with Duff with Axl was really on.

But on a day-to-day basis, the inclusion of both Nice Boys and Rosie in the same set has been a great sign since last year. The intro scream to WTTJ, and the other 'you're gonna dieeee' when it comes back at the end are great early indicators about 75% of the time - also the same with the screams in LALD. Also, basically if he nailed YCBM on a given night, rest assured the whole set was killer - it requires great cardio and you cant cheat.

Overall it's common sense: Does Axl sound prepared, natural, and in control? Or does he sound like Mickey Mouse dying for air? Is he nailing all the nuances of a song, or is he taking shortcuts by changing the melody, etc? Lately I've been hearing great shit and I'm pumped about the future for Gnr.