GH: RE-ENTRY Billboard 200

wkuk04

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good and now if only fans can actually buy CD it would be up there as well....but i heard it is nowhere to be found in the US?

I don't know im from u.k. I thought it would be stocked up with the rest of GNR catalog in stores?...it must be available somewhere.

The majority of the fans go to the shows to hear the the old material so it is no surprise GH and not ChiDem reentered the charts.........

Source?

I'm really curious to see your documented numbers.

When I go to any concert it is to have a good time listening to rock music. Whether its a local bar band or a well known popular band or an old band doing nostalgic tours.

And in terms of what songs I go for? I think most people are more like me than the people you describe. I go hoping to hear a mixture of the classic songs, less popular but fan favorites, and a few songs off the latest album.

Anyway, can you post a link to your source? Thanks.

As high as almost 100, thats pretty damn good. The tour is doing well and general public are picking up for on all the buzz. Now lets hope Chinese Democracy enters the chart once again, which i have a feeling it might.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200#/charts/billboard-200?begin=101&order=position

On one level, it's good, but on another level, it's a shame.

If I remember correctly, nobody (Axl, Slash, Duff, etc) was pleased about the record company creating their own "Greatest Hits" without consent from the IP owners of the music. I guess for the casual fan, this "greatest hits" is fine, but for the more consummate/ardent fan, it's woefully inept and has several glaring omissions.

Oh well, I know Steve probably needs the money from the royalties, so in that sense I'm glad it's selling. lulz

The majority of the fans go to the shows to hear the the old material so it is no surprise GH and not ChiDem reentered the charts.........

Source?

I'm really curious to see your documented numbers.

When I go to any concert it is to have a good time listening to rock music. Whether its a local bar band or a well known popular band or an old band doing nostalgic tours.

And in terms of what songs I go for? I think most people are more like me than the people you describe. I go hoping to hear a mixture of the classic songs, less popular but fan favorites, and a few songs off the latest album.

Anyway, can you post a link to your source? Thanks.

It is kinda interesting that when the band tours, the greatest hits reappears on the charts. Even when CD was still selling at best buy, didn't this happen to a lesser degree when they were touring in 2010?

I think it's a fair assumption that more fans are going to hear the classics with Axl's voice singing them.

Assumptions are just like opinions though. People that are die-hard Slash fans and dislike Axl will claim any success now is simply due to old songs Whereas newer fans, will claim that Slash was overrated and the new band is way better than the old band. Both are just assumptions and opinions - which are tainted.

This guy posted something like it was fact. I'm just curious as to his source.

Maybe your theory is correct..........but maybe it isn't. I've went to a lot of concerts with a friend of mine in Seattle (closest place for concerts to where I live). We went and saw GnR in 2002 in the first show of the tour (Vancouver was cancelled). I called him a few years ago when GnR was on tour again and asked him if he wanted to go and he said unless their playing new songs, I don't need to fork out $100 to see them again.

I'm going to the Seattle show later this month and he's on the line about going. I told him there will be new songs that he didn't hear in 2002.....but he has CD already, has seen all the youtube videos, and probably isn't going to go - simply because there isn't any new music.

So this guy is exactly the OPPOSITE of the "fan" you are talking about.

But let me ask you this.

Give me your estimated percentages if every concert attendee in 2011 was asked:

Why do you attend the GnR shows:

1. To hear the old songs

2. To hear the new songs

3. To hear a mixture of classics and new songs

What's that - 50 or 60 million dollars of revenue for the record business for a glorified mix tape of music they've already sold to people before?

Nevermind how many sales Dark Side Of The Moon has had.

It's all about a compelling product (art). Build your audience.

Don't understand why they can keep blaming piracy/Internet.

Edited by Gagarin

Los of people I meet at the concerts know CD songs, even the older fans.

Really? Do they even like the songs?

Yes, and they sang along with some like Better and Street of Dreams and a few helped me try and call for Shackler's. Not everyone was a huge fan of it but a lot of people at least had a few songs they liked from CD.

Edited by Flayer

Classic......no offense, but time to grow up mate.

Let's leave the stalking bs, holding grudges and all that crap behind and try and act like adults. I didn't insult you, nor did I bash what you said. And I didn't bring up any past arguments.

You posted something that was negative towards the new band, which is what you always do. I know how important it is to you to make sure the new band never gets any credit.

Bobbo and I have battled for months on here...but we agreed to stop with all the insults and to be respectful and stick to debating the actual topic. Which we are doing here.

It is ok to disagree with somebody without insulting them.

So I will once again respond to your actual post.

No doubt there are fans like you describe. I just don't agree with your generalization of all of them. I go to shows to hear the old classics as well as the newest songs. As do all of my friends. And the shows I've gone to? People freak out to the classics and popular songs....but its so easy and out to get me and Mr brownstone bring out the puss breaks. I personally use live and let die as my bathroom break song.

You and Bobbo think most people go to concerts to hear old songs. I think most people go to hear old and new.

On a side note.....people always say Axl has to stop living off the old songs and let the current band carry their own weight and establish their own identity with new material. But u say fans only go to hear the old stuff. So what is Axl to do? Alienate 25 year fans by not playing the classic songs?

Los of people I meet at the concerts know CD songs, even the older fans.

Really? Do they even like the songs?

Yes, and they sang along with some like Better and Street of Dreams and a few helped me try and call for Shackler's. Not everyone was a huge fan of it but a lot of people at least had a few songs they liked from CD.

That is awesome! rock3

To be honest...and obviously as you know...it's just my point of view... and the way I see things for what the band is now...

For your answer; my prediction of the poll results would be:

75% for the old tunes

10% for new songs

15% for a mix of new and old.

I know there are Slash haters, and Axl haters...but I honestly think that CD just didn't make a huge impression on most of the fanbase.

I don't know. Maybe you are right. It's just not why I go to shows. I want to hear all the classics plus songs off the latest album

Look at this forum. If they play all appetite and old songs, people complain they are milking the past and not making it on their "own." But you are saying people just want to hear the old songs.

I guess a band can never please everybody! GnR should probably just do the same thing most bands have been doing forever. Play all the hits, as well as 5-6 songs off the current album.

They are playing 3 hours a night, so hopefully most fans are happy with the setlist.

---------------------

Not addressed to Bobbo, just a comment in general.

In spite of what some people like to suggest on here, there are a lot of people who are fans of the old band as well as new songs.

The entire crowd doesn't turn their back to the band and boo when new songs are played.

The album dis sell around 4 million copies.....a lot of people like the new songs when they are played in concert.

Edited by Groghan

To be honest...and obviously as you know...it's just my point of view... and the way I see things for what the band is now...

For your answer; my prediction of the poll results would be:

75% for the old tunes

10% for new songs

15% for a mix of new and old.

I know there are Slash haters, and Axl haters...but I honestly think that CD just didn't make a huge impression on most of the fanbase.

I don't know. Maybe you are right. It's just not why I go to shows. I want to hear all the classics plus songs off the latest album

Look at this forum. If they play all appetite and old songs, people complain they are milking the past and not making it on their "own." But you are saying people just want to hear the old songs.

I guess a band can never please everybody! GnR should probably just do the same thing most bands have been doing forever. Play all the hits, as well as 5-6 songs off the current album.

They are playing 3 hours a night, so hopefully most fans are happy with the setlist.

There's a poll going on?

There's a simple solution to the GNR blues...

GO TO A SHOW!

I went in wishing they would play new music, just one new song, you know?

But they were so great live I forgot all about wanting new music and just

Enjoyed some great rock n roll.

IMO, the forum effects people negatively. They get to sealed up in wanting new music and axl rose politics and forget what brought us to extreme GNR fandom..... The music...

Just go to a show and receive what guns is giving people at the time, a bad ass show.

All the petty bullshit doesnt matter.

Classic......no offense, but time to grow up mate.

Let's leave the stalking bs, holding grudges and all that crap behind and try and act like adults. I didn't insult you, nor did I bash what you said. And I didn't bring up any past arguments.

Pretty ironic you tell me to grow up when in the past you have accused me of stalking you and recently of holding grudges when I responded to one of your posts so stop being a hypocrite Apollo......

You posted something that was negative towards the new band, which is what you always do. I know how important it is to you to make sure the new band never gets any credit.

Nothing negative about my post mate as I was just making an observation based on my own experience as I go to a fair number of concerts by legacy bands I grew up listening to and a ggod portion of fans at the shows, never said all of them as you claim, are there for the old hits they know not the new music. Now if I had said the new band and ChiDem sucks and nobody goes to the shows to hear the Chidem you would have a point.

And actually I do give the new band and Axl credit where it is due. I have said Axl is singing great, the Nuband puts on entertaining shows and the U.S. tour is a success but of course you filtered that out from my posts as you only look for what you perceive as negative.........You are so hyper sensitive and paranoid about people criticizing the band you jump on any post you see as criticism...not bashing you just making another observation..........

Bobbo and I have battled for months on here...but we agreed to stop with all the insults and to be respectful and stick to debating the actual topic. Which we are doing here.

It is ok to disagree with somebody without insulting them.

Again ironic as you continiuosly criticize me and others for perceived bashing of the band which is not true so who is being the hypocrite here? Don't expect me to stop offering my opinion because you don't like it or see it as negative. Don't like what I post? as you said to me recently block my post then pretty simple yes?

So I will once again respond to your actual post.

No doubt there are fans like you describe. I just don't agree with your generalization of all of them. I go to shows to hear the old classics as well as the newest songs. As do all of my friends. And the shows I've gone to? People freak out to the classics and popular songs....but its so easy and out to get me and Mr brownstone bring out the puss breaks. I personally use live and let die as my bathroom break song.

You and Bobbo think most people go to concerts to hear old songs. I think most people go to hear old and new.

You are entitled to your opinion and for some bands this may be true but based on my experience I think otherwise and so do other fans on this forum. You have your opinoin and I have mine..Once again you don't agree with me so instead of being open minded and understanding what I said you go into automatic defense mode........

On a side note.....people always say Axl has to stop living off the old songs and let the current band carry their own weight and establish their own identity with new material. But u say fans only go to hear the old stuff. So what is Axl to do? Alienate 25 year fans by not playing the classic songs?

See you are so wrapped around the Axl (pun intended) about people criticizing the band your making an argument where one doesn't exist mate. I am not criticizing Axl for singing the old songs all I am pointing out is that what casual fans go to hear are the old hits and that is the reason GH is back on the charts..You are the one blowing my comment into some big conspiracy to bash Axl...

So I am pretty much finished debating you about imaginary conspiracies Apollo but if you feel the need to craft some long witty rebuttal have at it and I will continue to offer my opinion which fuel your delusions........

Oh well, I tried. Bobbo "got it" and is willing to have discussions that don't involve personal attacks.

Feel better now? Got a few more personal jabs in. Good job mate!!!! I'm a hypocrite, whiner, etc. You got all of that right!!!! You really got me good.

No big long lengthy reply needed. The tone and substance of your message says it all.

I've never blocked anybody on here - I'm interested in all opinions. Shame that you aren't.

Oh well. Keep up the hate, mate. Towards me, towards Axl, towards anybody that praises Axl or the new band, etc, etc, etc. Keep educating us all on the real GnR!

Bobbo....

I would agree that no single song seems to have "stuck" with the general rock crowd. But as a whole, the album sold in the 4 million range, so somebody must have liked it.

All of us would like for the band to start creating a buzz on its own music. Unfortunately, with only one album, all we are going to get is 5-6 new songs per show. Hopefully another album will come soon.....and we will get more songs live. But holy cow, you know the backlash on this forum when that happens. If on the next tour, they play 6 CD songs and 6 new album songs.....and drop 6 current songs, there will be a huge portion of people on here that freak out.

Jungle, SCOM, Nightrain, PC, Rocketqueen.....Nov Rain, YCBM, Estranged, Don't Cry, Civil War....Patience.....I'd be happy with those old songs and dropping So Easy, Brownstone, OTGM, and all covers (LALD, Heaven's Door, ACDC songs), and playing 12 non-old band songs!

If people really say that Axl and the current guys need to stand on their own, then people can't mad when old classics are dropped from the set!