Why is axl amazing for half the show and subpar for the rest?

There Was A Time

Why do songs like rocket queen and you could be mine sound like a horrendous cover but civil war and nightrain and songs like that sound fuckin out of this world? i just dont get it at all and its so frustrating cuz he shows over n over he can do it with ease. Rocket queen is almost unlistenable especially on the la stream.

Why do songs like rocket queen and you could be mine sound like a horrendous cover but civil war and nightrain and songs like that sound fuckin out of this world? i just dont get it at all and its so frustrating cuz he shows over n over he can do it with ease. Rocket queen is almost unlistenable especially on the la stream.

The later the night the more into it he gets.

I agree. Rocket Queen was horrendous, but overall the shows have been high energy and sounded great for the most part. This tour has been a big step In the right direction.

The later the night the more into it he gets.

Yup, Axl is a vampire (or just nocturnal). :thumbsup:

He must be trying to do certain things with his voice he shouldn't do in those. Also on some of the good ones there are apparently recordings accompanying his voice because his voice will echo and do weird things witho0ut him using a different type of mic.

By the way, the first time I heard this I love on the cd at release I was addicted to the haunting sound of it. Even that one I was just waiting for him to finish at the concert. I hope they keep having U.S. tours where eventually he will be great on all of the songs. Since fans have eben too lame to go to the shows it gives Axl more reason to not do tours for years yet again.

I truly believe he's trying to perserve his energy. I notice he puts a ton into Chinese, Jungle, Easy, and Brownstone...then Estranged, Rocket Queen, Sorry, and others have the mickey mouse tone...then later the raspy, powerful voice returns. I think he'd rather have a calm down period in the middle, rather than exert so much strength into his voice that he can't perform to his standards on the later songs.

I thought Civil War was awful.

His voice is at his age. (not meaning in a bad way)

I don't know how normal singers do it or how vocal exercises works but I think Axl is preserving a lot of energy. and it trying to keep his voice on the downlow for many times to spare him pain that might come from putting way to much ton on it.

and don't forget guns n roses are playing non stop 3 hour shows.... that is something that no other bands do these days... Axl is the only true left rock n roller that has the guts to do that and fill those 3 hours with powerfull filling Rock athems and rock songs. and spicing it up with some covers and other stuff he's got up his sleave..

i have nothing but great respect for someone who can do that! non stop!

3 hour shows non stop. and putting energy in it like none other do.... that's just beastly!

His voice is at his age. (not meaning in a bad way)

I don't know how normal singers do it or how vocal exercises works but I think Axl is preserving a lot of energy. and it trying to keep his voice on the downlow for many times to spare him pain that might come from putting way to much ton on it.

and don't forget guns n roses are playing non stop 3 hour shows.... that is something that no other bands do these days... Axl is the only true left rock n roller that has the guts to do that and fill those 3 hours with powerfull filling Rock athems and rock songs. and spicing it up with some covers and other stuff he's got up his sleave..

i have nothing but great respect for someone who can do that! non stop!

3 hour shows non stop. and putting energy in it like none other do.... that's just beastly!

I would see him play a 2 hour set that sounds great than a 3 hour one if he has to sound like mickey mouse to get through it. Dio, Halford, Dickenson and alot of others seem to be able to do it.

and don't forget guns n roses are playing non stop 3 hour shows....

At least one of those three hours is jams and solos with Axl not even being onstage.

that is something that no other bands do these days... Axl is the only true left rock n roller that has the guts to do that and fill those 3 hours with powerfull filling Rock athems and rock songs. and spicing it up with some covers and other stuff he's got up his sleave..

Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam...

It's a range thing. Some songs are just easier for his throat and technique than others. For example, Nightrain usually sounds phenomenal, but Sweet Child sounds horrid most of the time.

This.

He's at an age where his range is starting to narrow. The OP cited Rocket Queen and You Could Be Mine as being garbage nowadays, but those songs have the most frequent high notes of the whole set. It's going to start getting harder for Axl to nail the high notes, it's the nature of the beast.

I never thought Id be agreeing with the people who have said you have to see the show in person to appreciate Axls performance, but its true. I personally am very aware of his mickey mouse voice at times and I really am not a fan of it at all, and I noticed his voice sounded so much better in youtube vids of the 2010 shows than the 2011 ones. But last night in Phoenix when I got to see him in person, he sounded fucking awesome. I was shocked honestly how great he sounded. His voice sounded strong and raspy alot of the time to me, which I didnt expect. There were only a few moments spread out over the course of the entire show where his voice sounded thin or mickey like. For the most part he sounded awesome. He put on such an amazing high energy fucking performance. Man, im still on a high from the show. Dude still has it, thats for sure

He must be trying to do certain things with his voice he shouldn't do in those. Also on some of the good ones there are apparently recordings accompanying his voice because his voice will echo and do weird things witho0ut him using a different type of mic.

By the way, the first time I heard this I love on the cd at release I was addicted to the haunting sound of it. Even that one I was just waiting for him to finish at the concert. I hope they keep having U.S. tours where eventually he will be great on all of the songs. Since fans have eben too lame to go to the shows it gives Axl more reason to not do tours for years yet again.

Wut? Different type of mic?

It's just echo/repeater.

Hasn't been any playback from what I've heard this tour.

I think it's probably because he's just doing this tour for the settlement. When they toured in '01 and '02 it was more the label forcing him if I recall correctly, and he did the Mickey Mouse thing then, but in '06 he was a fucking machine, and I think that's because he was intending to get CD out then and trying to prove himself after the 2002 disaster. Now that he's doing this tour out of being legally required to, I don't think he wants to put every ounce of his vocals into it again. And hell, maybe he's trying to save it to go into the studio, too...