Axl on Cobain's Death

uzi your illusion

Nobody ever mentioned the alice. I think they were the realest band of the genre. Regular guys who only wrote about things they dealt with. Alot of nice lyrics, although often simple. But it was all delivery. Cantrells riffs, along with the harmony of his and maybes voices has yet to be reproduced since. Nirvana we're big because of image mostly. I don't think their music sticks in mind as much as alice in chains, and its a shame nirvana is considered the big band of grunge music. Every ten year old in america will claim to love nirvana but probably never even heard of aic.

Agreed. Layne Staley was one of the greatest vocalists of all time IMHO. The AIC unplugged is right up there with Nirvana's.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fun to talk about the mythology, but what's most important was how good all of the music was. I love GNR, and I love the grunge bands. The 90's ruled while the 2000's have sucked ass.

Word. The White Stripes were awesome though.

Facepalm on your post, dude. I'm not sayin she's ugly cuz she's a goth (she doesn't look like one, BTW) and I'm not sayin that she's not an adjusted person because she looks like a junkie. It has more to do with the fact that she looks like Amy Winehouse: that sick, way too skinny bitch who is going to die really soon appearance, which is not really attractive at all, no mater how drunk you are.

Amy Winehouse was hot too when she was younger. True she looked like hell towards the end, but Frances Bean looks nothing like that. Matter of opinion I guess. Princess Leia is probably more your type.

Shit, man. That was hilarious. :rofl-lol:

It's fun to talk about the mythology, but what's most important was how good all of the music was. I love GNR, and I love the grunge bands. The 90's ruled while the 2000's have sucked ass.

I hate Jack White. That retro shit has been the death of new music.

Gotta agree with you. For some reason, people started to copy old stuff instead of trying something new. Did they forget the fact that their 60's, 70's idols were great because they didn't copy what came before them, they created their own sound?

Why all the hate for Courtney Love? Hole is/was a pretty good band. All the anti-drug posturing seems out of place on a GNR forum. And Frances Bean seems to have grown up to be a relatively well-adjusted young woman, and oh did I mention she is smokin' hot? Not that it's relevant, but still...

True the "intervention" she pulled on Kurt Cobain was hypocritical bullshit and may have contributed to his death, but she saw the error of it later and apologized. I dunno, I never got why people hate her so much. This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a general observation. Flame away. :tongue2:

Frances is a pretty girl. She resembles Kurt more than her mother I think (thank god!).

Se does appears to be on the unhealthy-underweight side of the spectrum though (and I say this with regards to how her shoulders and collar bone sticks out which is indicative of an underweight woman).

Why all the hate for Courtney Love? Hole is/was a pretty good band. All the anti-drug posturing seems out of place on a GNR forum. And Frances Bean seems to have grown up to be a relatively well-adjusted young woman, and oh did I mention she is smokin' hot? Not that it's relevant, but still...

True the "intervention" she pulled on Kurt Cobain was hypocritical bullshit and may have contributed to his death, but she saw the error of it later and apologized. I dunno, I never got why people hate her so much. This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a general observation. Flame away. :tongue2:

Frances is a pretty girl. She resembles Kurt more than her mother I think (thank god!).

Se does appears to be on the unhealthy-underweight side of the spectrum though (and I say this with regards to how her shoulders and collar bone sticks out which is indicative of an underweight woman).

Yeah I agree, she is a bit on the bony side for my taste. Her face is amazing though. Lips, eyes ....

and then tell me Jack White isn't doing anything original or interesting. Sure it's blues-based, but so is the band this forum is dedicated to. Hell, the whole genre of rock n' roll is blues-based.

Ok... where is the revolutionary part?

That's just a blues song, nothing special.

Edited by Chewbacca

the whole crux of nirvana was that the joke song about teen rebellion became an anthem of teen rebellion. the coolness of being an unknown band to making it big without trying was short lived. Suddenly they were sell outs who think they have integrity.Kurt probably needed to either go solo or make his UYI. He had to make the leap Axl made with CD.

Facepalm on your post, dude. I'm not sayin she's ugly cuz she's a goth (she doesn't look like one, BTW) and I'm not sayin that she's not an adjusted person because she looks like a junkie. It has more to do with the fact that she looks like Amy Winehouse: that sick, way too skinny bitch who is going to die really soon appearance, which is not really attractive at all, no mater how drunk you are.

Amy Winehouse was hot too when she was younger. True she looked like hell towards the end, but Frances Bean looks nothing like that. Matter of opinion I guess. Princess Leia is probably more your type.

Gotta agree with you. For some reason, people started to copy old stuff instead of trying something new. Did they forget the fact that their 60's, 70's idols were great because they didn't copy what came before them, they created their own sound?

This is false IMO. The rock guys took from the blues guys, who took from the country and jazz guys. Music influences music, from the beginning.

Almost all tonal music has a previous influence. Very few exceptions and those are usually atonal.

I have yet to see ANY music which is 100% original.

Here's what it comes down to. It's alright to delve heavily into the past if you can write classic songs like say GNR and Pearl Jam, but if you can't write classic songs, it becomes like Diet Coke: watered down and without the fizzle. Wolfmother, Jet, White Stripes and The Sheepdogs are all perfect examples of this Diet Coke phenomenon. Me, I prefer the acidic burn that only the real thing can give you.

Edited by ITW 2012

This is false IMO. The rock guys took from the blues guys, who took from the country and jazz guys. Music influences music, from the beginning.

Almost all tonal music has a previous influence. Very few exceptions and those are usually atonal.

Quoted for truth.

That's not the point. Of course music influenced music, but let's take grunge as an example: it was a 70's inspired movement, but did their songs sound like a hit from the 70's? Nope. Did Jimmy Hendrix sound like a regular blues man? Nope, in fact, people were astounished by his licks, guitars weren't meant to sound like that.

Now get wolfmother for example they're a sorry bunch of Zeppelin wanna-be's, they don't even try to sound distinctly. There's also the post grunge bands that play some generic hardcore songs. I guess that explains why there were no big musical movements on the 2000's like in the previous decades (Grunge, Heavy Metal, Punk, Psikadelik).

Using your influences to create a new sound - good.

Copying and pasting hits of a famous band from the past and calling it revolutionary - bad.

The hipster trend is way older than Kurt and Nevermind. I think that he did help to give the hipster trend a boom. As for PJ, Sg and AiC: I don't think so, they weren't trying to look diferent or something. In fact, PJ was even criticized by Kurt, who judged them "too mainstream" to be part of the alternative scene.

Nobody ever mentioned the alice. I think they were the realest band of the genre. Regular guys who only wrote about things they dealt with. Alot of nice lyrics, although often simple. But it was all delivery. Cantrells riffs, along with the harmony of his and maybes voices has yet to be reproduced since. Nirvana we're big because of image mostly. I don't think their music sticks in mind as much as alice in chains, and its a shame nirvana is considered the big band of grunge music. Every ten year old in america will claim to love nirvana but probably never even heard of aic.

I agree wholeheartedly. Phenomenal band and I'm so happy they found success despite Layne's death. Possibly No. 2 on my personal faves list behind GNR.

Kurt Cobain struck me as a self-important, yet somehow self-loathing pussy who couldn't handle fame, let alone his moronic whore of a wife. And that's coming from someone who enjoyed his music and consider myself lucky enough to have been front row for a Nirvana show. I understand fame can be a difficult thing to grasp, but the man took his life and left a young daughter behind. Man up, bitch. If there was a mental health issue at play then I take it all back and apologize, but I can only have so much sympathy for a junky millionaire who took the easy way out of a charmed life and left his daughter behind.

Meanwhile, I agree with the person who mentioned Soundgarden as a metal band that posed as grunge once grunge took over. It's possible they were alternative guys who posed as metal guys before grunge hit, but that doesn't make it any better. I'll never forget how much I enjoyed Soundgarden when they opened for GNR. Then I saw them headlining a few years later and the live presentation was completely different. Cornell had his mic changed after most songs and did the whole "too good to look at the fans or act like I'm enjoying myself" routine. I was turned off completely and lost a lot of respect for the band that night. It's probably my least favorite concert experience.

I saw Soundgarden a few months ago as well as Chris Cornell twice during the Songbook tours and all 3 times he was very talkative and during the acoustic shows cracked a lot of jokes. He still has that crazy ass high range too, I was really suprised at how effortless he makes those high notes seem.

Whether or not Cobain got to know Axl on a personal level, Axl's primadonna antics were/are indisputable. That's not rock and roll. It's bullshit.

Yeah,shooting yourself in the head leaving behind a child that you were instrumental in bringing into this world is the epitome of "cool". So is doing heroin and enabling the mother of said child to use heroin while child was in utero.

Also,I seem to remember a bit of a backhanded bitchslap uttered by Tommy "the nightmare",Disc Jockey for KDST and former member of "Crystal Ship" went something like "Take off that Flannel,we are Rockers here,not Lumberjacks". :book:

More subtle than the Molotov Cocktail treatment of the Nurr-vaah-nah hat onstage.

I never got the fascination or the following for the Foo Fighters,from what I've heard it sounds like they listen to what is popular,or take a classic riff and transpose to compose their music.Imo,what Grohl did best was providing Nirvana with some memorable percussion formulas.

Also in regards to Nirvana's over the top "we are so liberal and anti corporation that we remind everyone of it all the time" makes for a nice facade. :rolleyes:

When did I say Cobain was cool? I think he was a whiny little pussy, actually.

And what's more, I think he was a poser. He wrote good pop music that got him famous then tried rejecting it.

Aah, who gives a shit - Kurts dead and long gone - R.I.P to the dude but Axl's survived the hell of fame and is flourishing now. Now all the Nirvana fans can listen to the run of the mill generic pop-rock crap that is the Foo Fighters, while us GnR fans welcome in 2012 and an exciting new Guns album. :)

Dude, when Van Hallen made it's breakthrough everybody had to have a guitar with a single humbucker and a floating tremolo.

When Grunge got the spotlight, everybody started writing dark songs.When Nu Metal became popular everybody started using 7 string/ baritone/ downtuned/ ER guitars (even MetallicA tried it out).

When a real phenomenon strikes the mainstream, everybody wants a piece of it. Did something similar happen with rock music on the 2000's nope, except for the emo looks, which is a dead trend already.

BTW RAP, Electronic music aren't 2000's musical movements. RAP's golden age was in the early 90's. Tupac died in 96. There's lots of Hip Hop/ RAP fans that dislike new rappers, most of them want old school rap back. Electronic was also more inovative back in the 80's and 90's, some rock bands were flirting with Elec by that time (U2, Meshuggah, Radiohead and even Axl was trying to get into it.)

Edited by Chewbacca

\ "You guys represent everything that there against. You're a big,successful, corporate million-dollar rock band. That's the antithesis of Nirvana" "But Axl didn't think of Guns in that way".

Funnily enough Nirvana became a big, successful corporate million dollar rock band. Indie bands don't get put on the cover to Rolling Stone magazine. Antithesis of Nirvana? Did Nirvana not sign to the EXACT same label as Guns?

\ "You guys represent everything that there against. You're a big,successful, corporate million-dollar rock band. That's the antithesis of Nirvana" "But Axl didn't think of Guns in that way".

Funnily enough Nirvana became a big, successful corporate million dollar rock band. Indie bands don't get put on the cover to Rolling Stone magazine. Antithesis of Nirvana? Did Nirvana not sign to the EXACT same label as Guns?

Yup, they did.

I personally don't think that any labels ever(except small indie labels) were interested with growing with the band. Metallica started off on a small labels and moved to a bigger one for Master of Puppets, after 2 records prior. Megadeth also started off on a small label and moved to Capitol for their second album. It was always about the hits. Label owner Tony Wilson who worked with the Sex Pistols said executives would listen to a bands songs/demos and ask "where is the hit single?" to which Tony replied "they haven't written it yet". Moby once said that a label executive told him "I don't care if it's one hit single and 45 minutes of silence, it single is all we want". Labels have always been about hit singles and money.

As for Kurt, he was a big hypocrite. Funnily enough he embodied(and died of) the same rock n' roll archetype that he so openly hated. Good one.

Edited by Young_Gun

Dude, when Van Hallen made it's breakthrough everybody had to have a guitar with a single humbucker and a floating tremolo.

When Grunge got the spotlight, everybody started writing dark songs.When Nu Metal became popular everybody started using 7 string/ baritone/ downtuned/ ER guitars (even MetallicA tried it out).

When a real phenomenon strikes the mainstream, everybody wants a piece of it. Did something similar happen with rock music on the 2000's nope, except for the emo looks, which is a dead trend already.

BTW RAP, Electronic music aren't 2000's musical movements. RAP's golden age was in the early 90's. Tupac died in 96. There's lots of Hip Hop/ RAP fans that dislike new rappers, most of them want old school rap back. Electronic was also more inovative back in the 80's and 90's, some rock bands were flirting with Elec by that time (U2, Meshuggah, Radiohead and even Axl was trying to get into it.)

You're right, everything sucks these days.

Do you wanna know why there's no 'movements' like there used to be?

The Internet.

In the past you had TV and Radio, both of which work in unison for the most part. With the internet the influences are too wide reaching.

Hmmm but before you had to be signed to a big label and had to smooch executives and producers etc to get airplay. The internet has helped even out the playing field now. Sure there aren't the movements that there used to be, but who says that is bad? Imitating is lame.

Bryn responds with "You guys represent everything that there against. You're a big,successful, corporate million-dollar rock band. That's the antithesis of Nirvana"

That is such bullshit, against being big and successful? If Nirvana was against it, why did they sign with a major record label? Why did they shoot all those videos? Why were they all over MTV? No band would ever try NOT to be big or successful if given the opportunity. I have yet to hear one say "No thank you, we'd rather remain an obscure little band struggling to make ends meet".

And do they even know what the definition of sellout is? Fame and fortune does not make you a sellout, trying to be something you're not for the purpose of making money makes you a sellout. If you remain true to yourself, you're not a sellout. Old GNR absolutely remained true to themselves.

It just really pisses me off that Axl was reaching out to Nirvana (GNR & Metallica sure as hell didn't need them) and not only does Kurt refuse, but he responds with "They’re really talentless people, and they write crap music".

Bryn responds with "You guys represent everything that there against. You're a big,successful, corporate million-dollar rock band. That's the antithesis of Nirvana"

That is such bullshit, against being big and successful? If Nirvana was against it, why did they sign with a major record label? Why did they shoot all those videos? Why were they all over MTV? No band would ever try NOT to be big or successful if given the opportunity. I have yet to hear one say "No thank you, we'd rather remain an obscure little band struggling to make ends meet".

And do they even know what the definition of sellout is? Fame and fortune does not make you a sellout, trying to be something you're not for the purpose of making money makes you a sellout. If you remain true to yourself, you're not a sellout. Old GNR absolutely remained true to themselves.

It just really pisses me off that Axl was reaching out to Nirvana (GNR & Metallica sure as hell didn't need them) and not only does Kurt refuse, but he responds with "They’re really talentless people, and they write crap music".

Yep, this quote pisses me off the most. Most Nirvana songs can be played by any person who has been playing guitar in 6 months. Slash's solos are talentless? Yeahhhhh I'll take the the Smells like Teen Spirit solo anyday...