The Rolling Stones Liberation Front

KiraMPD

Just heard about this on UK radio station, real radio xs and thought it was kinda funny. Don't see a thread about it here yet so... here it is!

The Rolling Stones haven’t even announced a 50th anniversary tour for this year, but already they’ve incited the wrath of some fans.

Calling themselves as the Rolling Stones Liberation Front, some of them have got together to demand changes to the way the band tour. And if these demands aren’t met, they’re threatening non-violent, disruptive action to force home their campaign.

UG plus: remove banner

So what is it they want? Here are their six demands in full:

1) WE WANT SMALLER VENUES

We believe the time has passed for gargantuan mega-arena spectaculars; hardly anything good comes from these soulless shows. Scale it back. Throw away the lights, the inflatables, the fireworks and the catwalks. Keep it simple. Mick Jagger no longer needs to prove himself a physically fit older gentleman, we get it. The introduction of the considerably smaller B-stage set up in the middle of the venue at the end of 1994’s Voodoo Lounge Tour was a perfect step toward this philosophy. Ask any concert goer and they’ll tell you the best part of the last fifteen years of Rolling Stones shows has always been that time they play the three or four songs on the smaller stage. How much more of a hint do they need? We demand an alternative: establish a residency in theaters for up to seven days in every city on the perspective tour. You cannot tell us, in 2012, an organization as big and experienced as The Rolling Stones cannot pull off this task. Their fan is a dedicated one, almost to a fault and the band should not worry about loyalty, the people will come to them, it is all but assured. Leave your 400 tons of steel at home. Two guitars, bass, drums and a vocal mike, that’s it; the magic is in the music not in the lights. Cut the fat, less is more.

2) WE WANT LOWER TICKET PRICES

We believe it is unacceptable to charge up to $350 for a single ticket. The Rolling Stones do not need the money, but we need our money. We believe a band needing to charge $85 – $100 for upper balcony seats is a band no longer in touch with their fan base. We demand the ticket price for the next tour to be no more than $30 and without any and all service charges. The people have been burned many times before by useless and expensive incentives such as "fan club seats" and pre-sale tickets which only lead us to frustration and bad sightlines; experience has taught us there are no special seats for the proletariat no matter how many hoops we jump through. If you are within the first twenty rows on the main floor, a Rolling Stones show is an unparalleled experience. If you are anywhere behind row 30, the show is a drag, an expensive drag.

Like it or not, this has become a worker’s struggle; it’s the masses who fill a majority of the seats at The Rolling Stones concerts. Today it is only the bourgeoisie who can afford (or are given tickets to) seats near the front; fat cats, music critics and their sloppy, clueless friends who have only a passing interest in the band. We’ve been watching them for years from our positions high above; we watch with furrowed brows through binoculars as they stare up at the stage, in the glare of the lights, unmoving and jaded. This is an outrage. We demand the Rolling Stones to go back to regular, first come/first serve ticket sales, preferably at physical ticket outlets and not via the Internet. No promos, no guest lists.

3) WE WANT A SET LIST OVERHAUL

We believe with an immense back catalogue of songs to choose from, there is no reason why The Rolling Stones need to stick to roughly the same 30 songs for every tour; we refuse to sit through another airing of the played-out hits. Satellite radio has established the popularity of what is known in the industry as "deep cuts", songs that were not necessarily "hits" in the usual sense of the word, but are fan favourites, none the less. The practice of playing uncommon songs was introduced by and large for the 1989 Steel Wheels Tour and we, the paying customers, were delighted. However, after twenty three years, further steps need to be taken. Therefore, we demand the following songs not to be played on the next tour: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Brown Sugar", "Honky Tonk Women", "Start Me Up", "Sympathy For The Devil". Investigate your own catalogue; do not take us for granted.

4) WE WANT THE ELIMINATION OF THE HORN SECTION AND BACK-UP SINGERS

We believe The Rolling Stones have drifted too far from the true and basic rock ‘n roll aesthetic. It’s time to bring it back; back at least to the hugely successful 1978 Some Girls Tour. With all due respect to the honourable Bobby Keys, we believe the horn arrangements are needless and get in the way. We demand the removal of the brass section for the upcoming tour. Mr. Keys should only be allowed to perform on any songs from albums with release dates between the years 1970 – 1973. Additionally, with all due respect to the honourable Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin, the use of back-ups singers is now irrelevant and we demand their removal for the next tour.

5) WE WANT THE EXPULSION OF ALL OPENING ACTS

We believe The Rolling Stones have stopped challenging themselves. There was a time when they would bring an opening band talented enough to challenge the Stones themselves who, in turn, would have to step it up even further when it was time for them to take the stage. We ask you: how challenging can it be to follow Third Eye Blind? How challenging can it be to follow Johnny Lang or the goddamn Spin Doctors? Forcing an audience who just paid a lot of money to sit through such tripe is a rip-off as much as it is an insult. While there are in fact hard working bands today who could give The Rolling Stones a run for their money, they never seem to appear on the bill. Additionally, even if those bands did open the show, most of those in attendance won’t have the patience for them. Therefore, we demand The Rolling Stones forgo the use of opening acts on this last tour. Cut the fat, less is more.

6) WE WANT ALL FANS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES

We believe the fault also lies with fans willing to do the bidding of their favourite band, no matter the cost. How many suckers does it take to fill an auditorium? Ask The Rolling Stones. We are all suckers, victims of their apparent cynicism and money hungry ways. We urge all self-respecting Rolling Stones fans to heed our warnings and join our ranks. Don’t be taken for granted. We’ve bought the albums, we’ve bought the cassettes, we’ve bought the CDs, we’ve bought the DVDs, we’ve bought the Blu-rays, we’ve bought the re-masters, we’ve bought the elaborate re-issues, we’ve bought tickets to the movies, we’ve bought tickets to the concerts and we’ve bought anything with the tongue logo on it. We’ve bought it all, hook, line and sinker. Now it’s time The Rolling Stones give back or we will push back. Why give them more of our money and then settle for the usual? We won’t.

In time-honoured Monty Python's Life Of Brian" fashion, we await the arrival of the Popular Front For The Liberation Of The Rolling Stones...

Source: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rolling_stones_face_fans_protest.html

The Rolling Stones Liberation Front FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rolling-Stones-Liberation-Front/216189111798752

:rolleyes:

Edited by KiraMPD

I think the theater shows from a couple of tours ago were under 100 bucks and did a lot of the deep cuts. They've talked about doing more of that in the future, or just doing multidates in one city and playing different venues in that area.

The thing is, if they get Wyman and Taylor to tour with them, the ticket prices are still going to be high, but I think they're going to be doing more "VIP Experience" tickets and possibly lower the price of the nosebleeds. (this was Azoff's ticket pricing system) .

Guest Len B'stard

all ridiculous requests cept the lower ticket prices and the smaller venue...although i'd go see em even if those weren't fulfilled. Elimination of horns and brass? Fuck off, Rolling Stones are in the tradition of a proper RnB band, all that shit is cool and necessary and it adds to the shit. Bobby Keys and them? Fuckin rate em, ain't The Stones without all that stuff, they lose their RnB edge.

Set list overhaul?!?! Fuck off...if being in bands was about taking orders on what to do there wouldn't be a fucking Stones.

Also, the thing makes no sense, if its a workers struggle and the tickets are getting filled by the "bourgeosie" then, as far the Stones are concerned, there ain't a fucking problem, is there? No skin off the Stoneses nose.

Perhaps the workers should make their own bands? Hmmm, someone has suggest this before, haven't they, a whole bunch of people in fact, now i wonder who those people might be? :xmasssanta:

Edited by sugaraylen

Read an article on this yesterday, what a crock of shit. The only point I sort of agree with is that they could play smaller venues, but 'd want it to be like the Licks tour where they played all different size venues and picked the setlist accordingly. Speaking of setlists, I don't see why they need an "overhaul". On both the Licks tour and the Bigger Bang tour they played roughly 80 different songs in a variable setlist, that's awesome in my book :shrugs:

What I find really interesting and funny was that as Guns fans, we often try to dictate the band too! If you look around this forum you constantly see people either demanding reunions, certain songs to be played/not played and generally trying to 'advise' GnR what the 'best course of action' would be. Granted we haven't gone as far as making direct demands and petitions (I think) but we are almost as bad.

But what makes us think we can tell bands like these what to do? I get that we are "paying customers" and these bands would be "nowhere" without us but at the same time when we pull stuff like this, aren't we just trying to strip the Band of the personality and attitude that initially made us follow them? Seems a little two-sided and redundant when I look at it this way...

Edited by KiraMPD

Guest Len B'stard

What I find really interesting and funny was that as a Guns fan, we often try to dictate the band too! If you look around this forum you constantly see people either demanding reunions, certain songs to be played/not played and generally trying to 'advise' GnR what the 'best course of action' would be. Granted we haven't gone as far as making direct demands and petitions (I think) but I think we are almost as bad.

But what makes us think we can tell bands like these what to do? I get that we are "paying customer" and these bands would be "nowhere" without us but at the same time when we pull stuff like this, aren't we just trying to strip the Band of the personality and attitude that initially made us follow them? Seems a little two-sided and redundant when I look at it this way...

Exactly. These are huge corporate rock bands that YOU came to, they didn't come to you, you came to them liking what they did so you put your money down. If you stop liking it, stop putting your money down, simple but to ask a band to change or to want to direct their fuckin artistic trajectory is just ridiculous as a notion. It's like going out with a white girl and halfway through the relationship going, hey, y'know what, i like everything about you but as time has worn on i'm starting to dislike the fact that you're white, could we perhaps go to Michael Jacksons plastic surgeon and have you made black? Cuz if so, i think i might ask you to marry me, thank you!

Read an article on this yesterday, what a crock of shit. The only point I sort of agree with is that they could play smaller venues, but 'd want it to be like the Licks tour where they played all different size venues and picked the setlist accordingly. Speaking of setlists, I don't see why they need an "overhaul". On both the Licks tour and the Bigger Bang tour they played roughly 80 different songs in a variable setlist, that's awesome in my book :shrugs:

Keith and Mick have already talked about doing the full length albums in a set, and pretty much need Mick Taylor to do it right. Bill Wyman has been out of the Stones for 20 plus years and might just feel like hitting the road with them one last time.Taylor, Watts, Wood and Wyman were playing together, so I'm sure once Mick and Keith decide how this thing is going to pan out, will prob. happen. And it's not going to come cheap. After this - anyone's guess. The Stones have had sets where they dropped Satisfaction before, they know they don't need to do a greatest hits tour.

And it does sound like they're planning on doing a tour like Licks and Bigger Bang as far as venues go. But the one unknown is if there's going to be new music in this coming year, and I'm going to say they have the Exile and Some Girls "new" songs, add maybe a digital download or two.

1) WE WANT SMALLER VENUES

2) WE WANT LOWER TICKET PRICES

These two are in contradiction. Supply and demand is not a complicated concept really: you restrict supply of seats, the price of a ticket will rise (though the decrease in costs may offset that, I don't know).

Furthermore, I find it extremely selfish on the part of these people to ask for smaller venues. There are many MANY people out there who want to see the band (as evidenced by the sell-out shows fucking everywhere) and what? they shouldn't get the chance because you don't like stadiums and you wanna be in a theater? Even Keith said (in his book) that even though he doesn't like stadium shows he goes with it because they can reach more people this way.

Besides, I fucking love the visuals! :D

Fuck this shit. They are The Rolling Stones. They can do whatever they want.

Off-topic: it would be awesome to see GNR touring with the Stones in this tour. Perfect concert for me.

Would be a cool bill. The Stones are one of very few bands I'd willingly go see GN'R open for. I could be happy with pretty much anybody opening for The Stones, I remember in '05 Maiden and Metallica were each scheduled to open a handful of shows, you never really know what you'll get as an opener with them.

Off-topic: it would be awesome to see GNR touring with the Stones in this tour. Perfect concert for me.

Would be a cool bill. The Stones are one of very few bands I'd willingly go see GN'R open for. I could be happy with pretty much anybody opening for The Stones, I remember in '05 Maiden and Metallica were each scheduled to open a handful of shows, you never really know what you'll get as an opener with them.

I could be wrong, but I think that GNR was supposed to open for the Stones in 2006 but few month before the shows, everything was cancelled. So, it is possible, we can only dream

I could be wrong, but I think that GNR was supposed to open for the Stones in 2006 but few month before the shows, everything was cancelled. So, it is possible, we can only dream

Yep, I believe GN'R's shows were in the stretch that was cancelled when Keith fell out of the tree...

I agree with a many of the above posters, In fact, I don't think the Stones and many other bands are charging enough. I want them to charge more! Why should they only charge the equivalent of a monthly car payment for two hours of my entertainment? It has no intrinsic value in the first place, so make up a value! I feel it should be at least worth an entire monthly salary for the average person. Surely two hours of the Stones' time is worth a month of mine and yours and your friend's and your mom's and your dad's and your cousin's and all of the other 60,000 people in attendance, right? I mean, we aren't worth shit when we are compared to the likes of the Stones! I mean, they wrote songs and fucked a lot of women (and sometimes men) after all! What have we done that's worth that much?

Unrealistic bullshit. Sure, they have some valid points. But you can't expect smaller venues AND lower prices at the same time. That'll sort of force you to play about 5 shows at every venue instead of one. Just to meet the demand there is for seeing the band. Yes, you'll won't need as big a crew and as big a stage production which would cut costs. Also, I think the promotion companies often determine a large portion of the ticket prices as well.

Also, not playing satisfaction, brown sugar, sympathy, etc would be ok for the hardcore stones fans. But you have to understand that about 90% of the people who go to concerts (of any band) aren't the diehards. And they would be really pissed if the band DOESN'T play their "big" songs.

I actually agree with some of that. :tongue2:

It's part of the reason I stopped going to their shows after '94 (well,except for the Sars concert in Toronto).

I'll probably go to the next tour for sentimental reasons and to salute one of my all time fav bands.

I've got a feeling this will be the last tour.

Mostly I wish they'd put some balls back in Sympathy and kill off that rolling-samba version. :book:

I just want Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman back in the band.

Liberation Front would go out the window if Mick and Bill wind up on the tour. They never did Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Moonlight Mile live back in the day.

Moonlight Mile with Bill and Mick on board...jesus,that would be astounding!

Liberation Front would go out the window if Mick and Bill wind up on the tour. They never did Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Moonlight Mile live back in the day.

I'm sure Wyman and Taylor are looking at this being it, it's a lucrative gig, and for the most part, would get along well at this time in their lives. Ron Wood tried to sabotage Mick Taylor's set with the Stones in 81, but they've done club shows together since. To me, I'd love this as a triple bill - Aerosmith opening act, The Jeff Beck Group with Rod, Jeff and Ron (with some of the Stones supplementing... Jeff can have his current lineup with him), and the Stones with Wyman and Taylor, and Ron Wood playing some of the later songs. With Mick doing this supergroup, have Joss Stone sing Gimme Shelter on the tour, and maybe even bring Dave Stewart and Joss to do some of those Superheavy songs.

And at some shows Aerosmith would pass on, GNR would open. And have AC/DC open for them again. And Prince, just because it would make up for getting booed off the Stones stage 30 years ago. It's a 50th anniversary, so who would say no to that?

I'm sure Wyman and Taylor are looking at this being it, it's a lucrative gig, and for the most part, would get along well at this time in their lives. Ron Wood tried to sabotage Mick Taylor's set with the Stones in 81, but they've done club shows together since. To me, I'd love this as a triple bill - Aerosmith opening act, The Jeff Beck Group with Rod, Jeff and Ron (with some of the Stones supplementing... Jeff can have his current lineup with him), and the Stones with Wyman and Taylor, and Ron Wood playing some of the later songs. With Mick doing this supergroup, have Joss Stone sing Gimme Shelter on the tour, and maybe even bring Dave Stewart and Joss to do some of those Superheavy songs.

And at some shows Aerosmith would pass on, GNR would open. And have AC/DC open for them again. And Prince, just because it would make up for getting booed off the Stones stage 30 years ago. It's a 50th anniversary, so who would say no to that?

Stevie Wonder and Tina Turner opening,that would be pretty nice to see as well.

I agree though...make a big extravaganza out of the entire event...lots of special guests extra.

Make it feel like something very special.