Guns n Roses Dublin 02 17th may 2012

smelltheglove

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Axl really start the Dublin concert at 10p.m? That's early for him isn't it. Isn't he going on much later on the current U.S tour?

Pretty sure it was about 10.25pm when they hit the stage. But if I remember rightly they hit the stage at shortly after 8pm at the RDS in 2006. So maybe some fans were expecting similar last time.

Not that late, but a big wait between support band, coupled with stage setup/instrument checks , which they repeated a few times got the crowd in a foul mood. So Axl would have had to stand on his head to turn it around for some. A little bit of interaction after Chinese would have helped.I'm not talking an apology for a late start, just a simple good evening would have calmed the majority. His silence was like a red rag to a bull and his first words were not the say hello, but to warn us that they would leave the stage. Anyway there were other problems that night that have been gone over before, poor communication from the venue/promoter about a rumoured curfew and a closure time for their carparks and a section of the audience that had quite a lot of alcohol consumed. Hopefully this time it will be people who are ready for a late one that turn up. But if what I heard is right and it is sold out, then I can't see 15,000 hardcore fans. So I reckon the promoter/venue and Guns management can take a few simple steps prior to the show to keep a lid on it. I had a great time at every Guns concert I've been at and I'm sure this time will be no different!

Edited by no1gooner

11:15 in Norway was the latest I seen him. He only landed in the country at 8PM but I think his flight was delayed...

Funny I heard that the reason for the 8pm start in Ireland in 2006 was down to the fact that he had been in London prior to Ireland and had an engagement in London after the concert. I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere that his jet did indeed travel back out of Dublin airport that night.

Just checked on ticketmaster and there are standing and seated tickets left, so not sold out. And the seated ticket I was offered was for block E. So they do appear to sell off the poorer seats first, which they make us think are the best available!

Edited by no1gooner

He came on at 10.25. Curfew for the area is always 11.00 so people were understandably anxious about only getting a half hour show. I think some people on here are unaware that there's a good percentage of people at GNR shows who don't spend time on forums and are unaware of Axl's stage habits. So when he wasn't showing up over an hour after everyone expected him to (normal main act stage times in the venue are 8.30-9.00), things got antsy.

Plus, public transport is more or less finished by 11 in Dublin which left a lot of people having to pay taxis or just screwed if they came up from the country for it. I know that doesn't defend the bottle throwing (and I should also point out that only two plastic cups were thrown in total. Wasn't a barrage as some people try to make out) but some people here are talking about something that they weren't at and should know the facts before they make comments about it.

Europeans man. It's not like they have to go to bed early to visit the dentist. For some reason they're just uptight assholes.

Can't argue with that to be fair! Though I imagine if the same thing happened to you in Indiana you'd be too busy at home fucking your sister to care! Damn those Irish and their jobs! <_<

Edited by Dazey Does Dallas

He came on at 10.25. Curfew for the area is always 11.00 so people were understandably anxious about only getting a half hour show. I think some people on here are unaware that there's a good percentage of people at GNR shows who don't spend time on forums and are unaware of Axl's stage habits. So when he wasn't showing up over an hour after everyone expected him to (normal main act stage times in the venue are 8.30-9.00), things got antsy.

Plus, public transport is more or less finished by 11 in Dublin which left a lot of people having to pay taxis or just screwed if they came up from the country for it. I know that doesn't defend the bottle throwing (and I should also point out that only two plastic cups were thrown in total. Wasn't a barrage as some people try to make out) but some people here are talking about something that they weren't at and should know the facts before they make comments about it.

Sorry but I beg to differ, when the woman was making the announcement there were 2 bottles lying on the stage. When the man made his announcement another bottle rolled across the stage & the contents sprayed out while he was talking. It didn't help that when DJ was doing the intro to Jungle all he got was booing which doesn't exactly make the band feel good about going on stage to start their show.

The amount of booing when they were making the announcements was rather rude, I know people get frustrated but maybe cutting right back on the alcohol would make a lot of difference. Hopefully there won't be a repeat of this by idiots who just go to the show to throw things & ruin it for all of you.

Sorry but I beg to differ, when the woman was making the announcement there were 2 bottles lying on the stage. When the man made his announcement another bottle rolled across the stage & the contents sprayed out while he was talking. It didn't help that when DJ was doing the intro to Jungle all he got was booing which doesn't exactly make the band feel good about going on stage to start their show.

The amount of booing when they were making the announcements was rather rude, I know people get frustrated but maybe cutting right back on the alcohol would make a lot of difference. Hopefully there won't be a repeat of this by idiots who just go to the show to throw things & ruin it for all of you.

Agree that the majority there probably don't visit forums, so I can understand how they became worried and frustrated. Some would have been aware of Reading and Leeds, but again not that many.

I was there, seated side on to the stage, so I clearly did see bottles when the band were onstage and also when the lady from MCD spoke and again when the boss of MCD spoke. I'm not saying that Axl was right or wrong to walk off, but I am saying that it was more than just 2 paper cups.

I'd rather focus on the upcoming show. Really hope they silence the doubters and hope that some simple prior statement from MCD/O2/Guns will set it up for a cracking show.

Edited by no1gooner

Thanks for your replies. Nice to see some level-headed people talking about the matter. And you're both right that there was a bit more thrown later on during the announcements. I'm just refering to the times that Axl stopped it in which I believe there was only one object thrown on both occasions.

And I agree that there's no point re-hashing this. Let's just look forward to May for what should be a kick-ass show! rock3

Did Axl really start the Dublin concert at 10p.m? That's early for him isn't it. Isn't he going on much later on the current U.S tour?

Pretty sure it was about 10.25pm when they hit the stage. But if I remember rightly they hit the stage at shortly after 8pm at the RDS in 2006. So maybe some fans were expecting similar last time.

Not that late, but a big wait between support band, coupled with stage setup/instrument checks , which they repeated a few times got the crowd in a foul mood. So Axl would have had to stand on his head to turn it around for some. A little bit of interaction after Chinese would have helped.I'm not talking an apology for a late start, just a simple good evening would have calmed the majority. His silence was like a red rag to a bull and his first words were not the say hello, but to warn us that they would leave the stage. Anyway there were other problems that night that have been gone over before, poor communication from the venue/promoter about a rumoured curfew and a closure time for their carparks and a section of the audience that had quite a lot of alcohol consumed. Hopefully this time it will be people who are ready for a late one that turn up. But if what I heard is right and it is sold out, then I can't see 15,000 hardcore fans. So I reckon the promoter/venue and Guns management can take a few simple steps prior to the show to keep a lid on it. I had a great time at every Guns concert I've been at and I'm sure this time will be no different!

Great thanks! Hope it'll be great!

Just checked on ticketmaster and there are standing and seated tickets left, so not sold out. And the seated ticket I was offered was for block E. So they do appear to sell off the poorer seats first, which they make us think are the best available!

I held off too and got got good central seats now!:) I hate the way they release the side seats first! So mean and deceitful money grabbing bastards! ha

Edited by Janis

Thanks for your replies. Nice to see some level-headed people talking about the matter. And you're both right that there was a bit more thrown later on during the announcements. I'm just refering to the times that Axl stopped it in which I believe there was only one object thrown on both occasions.

And I agree that there's no point re-hashing this. Let's just look forward to May for what should be a kick-ass show! rock3

I'm sure he wasnt thrilled about getting bottles thrown, but one of them nearly hit him hence the stoppage during WTTJ. He made it as clear as day then and there, anymore bottles and they were gone. Of course, some fucking idiots decided to test that and keep throwing.

I agree with cutting out the drink altogether. Unfortunatly, It only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole damn bunch.

I remember being centre middle at that gig.... The minute Axl blasted onto the stage he seemed pissed off cos his mic wasnt right or something.

Remember the booing... Stupid fuckers

Yes there's probably fault on both sides, I'm sure this time around all will go smoothly & the people who threw things causing the whole incident will have fulfilled their needs & will stay away.

For the rest of you, I hope you have a blast. :thumbsup:

I've been wondering what the general consensus is regarding the actual start time (versus the official one) of the concert in May. Those who are going: are you just going to assume that it will be a late one, or play it safe and turn up and wait? I'm lucky in that I live near enough to cycle over to the O2, so it makes little difference to me. Then again, it would be nice to know...

I'm flying over from Germany and am going to be there early (about 7.30).

It's difficult. I think people are assuming that he'll show up on time given what happened

last time. However he's shown up late to all the U.S. dates. I think he'll come on stage

about ten myself. His management may want good publicity and try and make him go

on stage on time. Axl, however, doesn't seem to like doing what people tell him.

I think he'll be late, but under and hour so. I think you'd have to assume that people will throw

stuff, but how he'll react is another story

I'm flying over from Germany and am going to be there early (about 7.30).

It's difficult. I think people are assuming that he'll show up on time given what happened

last time. However he's shown up late to all the U.S. dates. I think he'll come on stage

about ten myself. His management may want good publicity and try and make him go

on stage on time. Axl, however, doesn't seem to like doing what people tell him.

I think he'll be late, but under and hour so. I think you'd have to assume that people will throw

stuff, but how he'll react is another story

I think your right, 10 is my guess, but I'm staying at the Gibson across the road to play it safe. You also have to remember that management was pretty much up in the air last time, but Beta and co seem to be in charge now, whom he seems to listen too. So I think it will all go to plan. Isn't the first date on the tour also?

Hope we get a great night and that the promoter is right that they will be a bit longer in Ireland this time and be using their time here to rehearse new songs.

I remember being centre middle at that gig.... The minute Axl blasted onto the stage he seemed pissed off cos his mic wasnt right or something.

Remember the booing... Stupid fuckers

Yes there's probably fault on both sides, I'm sure this time around all will go smoothly & the people who threw things causing the whole incident will have fulfilled their needs & will stay away.

For the rest of you, I hope you have a blast. :thumbsup:

Your right. Axl had problems from get go. He had problems with his ear piece and to be honest he was too low in the mix on Chinese. Yes the atmosphere was like a pressure cooker in the half hour - hour before they hit the stage. Some booing could be expected, but I think it got over the top and made for a very hostile feeling in there.

Lets hope they stay at home this time. Or at least the staff at the O2 police it properly this time and not allow those overly fueled up in. Because when I was going it to the seated area I witnessed quite a lot of very drunk guys in the standing line. I suppose if they didn't let them in the staff would have got no end of abuse. I say drunk, but god knows what some were on.

Edited by no1gooner

I've been wondering what the general consensus is regarding the actual start time (versus the official one) of the concert in May. Those who are going: are you just going to assume that it will be a late one, or play it safe and turn up and wait? I'm lucky in that I live near enough to cycle over to the O2, so it makes little difference to me. Then again, it would be nice to know...

I reckon he'll be late again, ten or half ten, somewhere around there but the support act wont be on so early. Close to nine I reckon for whoever it is. I think that pissed off a lot of people last time too. Some band they never heard of played an overly long set and then their was still a long wait afterwards. I think people were expecting a short wait due to the lenght of the Danko Jones set, maybe thinking since they are going on so long the turnaround must be pretty quick afterwards. Overly long set from the band they didnt come to see, a long wait and a load of drunken idoiots makes a bad combo imo.

I reckon he'll be late again, ten or half ten, somewhere around there but the support act wont be on so early. Close to nine I reckon for whoever it is. I think that pissed off a lot of people last time too. Some band they never heard of played an overly long set and then their was still a long wait afterwards. I think people were expecting a short wait due to the lenght of the Danko Jones set, maybe thinking since they are going on so long the turnaround must be pretty quick afterwards. Overly long set from the band they didnt come to see, a long wait and a load of drunken idoiots makes a bad combo imo.

Actually speaking of support bands, is Sebastian Bach supporting them this time?

I saw him in London a few years ago and he was a great entertainer. I can imagine that he'd be thrilled

if Axl came on late and it gave him more time to spend on stage.

Gonna be getting seating for this one.

What's the best way to get the best seats?

Ticketmaster. I have L section seats which I got a few weeks back. I checked at the weekend and section E are available. I'd say you won't get better than that.

Edited by no1gooner