Shut up about the setlist! Axl is singing for the majority of his fans

Kaneda

Ok I guess we are different. I love to see the band every chance I get as long as CD is the opener :tongue2:

When G N' R do 10 shows in your town and they play the exact same setlist every night you will visit every show just to see/hear C.D.?

i was referencing me freaking out when they cut CD as the opener the other night.

Anyway I love Guns and all their songs....so yes I would see them 10 times with the same setlist because i love all the songs.

I respect your dedication.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that bothers me is that they are not playing some of the best songs of Chinese Democracy, like TWAT and Catcher. Those two songs could make such a better impression on non-hardcore fans that they might think about actually giving the album a chance. Instead, they are hearing songs like Sorry, IMO not the best choice at all to represent the album. I don't like This I Love that much, specially with Ashba, but I admit people may like it.

The thing is: changing the setlist shouldnt be a big deal. It would make things interesting for the band and the fans who want to catch them in more than just one gig. But IMO, what droezle saw in Beligium was the same core setlist, but more different enough. And let's just face it, even if they had the second new album released by now, this wouldn't change. They NEED to play those classics.

Having said that, I do believe we could get new songs by the time of the European tour. From February to June is more than enough time to rehearse for those songs. They could, but I'm not betting they will.

Good post, TWAT and Catcher can get casual fans into the album. At least they are playing Better which is by far the catchiest song on the album. IFW would be great too, Ron's nylon string guitar is just gathering dust.

Indeed, but I doubt about If The World. At least from that pool someone made here, it seems like one of the most hated songs from CD, along with Riad (which is my favorite, but anyways).

I think TWAT and Catcher could replace Sorry easily. Im sure Axl would struggle to sing those instead, but hey, he did it before, I'm sure he can make it after a couple of gigs.

And, for God's sake, put some more GNR songs instead of covers. I think that's pretty reasonable.

I agree with everything you say. It shouldn't be a problem for the band to rotate the CD songs more, and let the best songs, including TWAT and CITR get more played. And now with the recent Dizzy comment on maybe working on the new record after the theatre tour, the band SHOULD have something new ready to debut in Europe :D

Didn't see that Dizzy comment, is there a link to it?

They will have time to build up something new, assuming they would intend to release the new album by the end of the year or so. But its way more likely that everyone will get spare time and we won't hear a thing about Axl untill the very day of the first European show, even though people will still expect to hear new songs and then get pissed.

If they don'y change the setlist during this tour, It'll be harder for them to change it for the european tour. They can't play this again om europe.... It'd be so boring!!

This summer there are 3 Guns N' Roses shows near where i live and at this moment i don't have any plans to visit 1 of them. I'm just tired to hear the same songs again.

I thought going to concerts was all about the intensity of live music and the shared communal experience, more than hearing specific songs. If so I would just stay home and listen to MP3s.

How many people visit a G N' R show because of the classic songs?

The majority. Just search for "November Rain + 2011" on YouTube and then do the same with any Chinese Democracy song.

If they don'y change the setlist during this tour, It'll be harder for them to change it for the european tour. They can't play this again om europe.... It'd be so boring!!

This summer there are 3 Guns N' Roses shows near where i live and at this moment i don't have any plans to visit 1 of them. I'm just tired to hear the same songs again.

I thought going to concerts was all about the intensity of live music and the shared communal experience, more than hearing specific songs. If so I would just stay home and listen to MP3s.

No one goes to GN'R concerts primarily to hear specific songs, because that they can do at home, they attend shows because of the intensity of live music and the share communal experience. It's an event, it's entertainment, it's a party. Obviously you don't feel it that way.

I agree with everything you say. It shouldn't be a problem for the band to rotate the CD songs more, and let the best songs, including TWAT and CITR get more played. And now with the recent Dizzy comment on maybe working on the new record after the theatre tour, the band SHOULD have something new ready to debut in Europe :D

And how about for work on a follow-up to 2008's "Chinese Democracy?" "There are some clamoring and rumors that we might be getting some material together here after we do this little (theater) run, so we'll see what happens," Reed says. "I just go with the flow. I'm always recording and stuff. If it happens it will be really fun and cool. I love creating stuff with all the guys. And there was so much material that didn't make it onto ('Chinese Democracy'). From what I remember there were a lot of really cool songs; I can only hope that some of that stuff does resurface and get worked out."

Source: http://www.billboard.com/news/all-original-guns-n-roses-members-will-be-1006185362.story#/news/all-original-guns-n-roses-members-will-be-1006185362.story

They will have time to build up something new, assuming they would intend to release the new album by the end of the year or so. But its way more likely that everyone will get spare time and we won't hear a thing about Axl untill the very day of the first European show, even though people will still expect to hear new songs and then get pissed.

I agree 100 %, and if it weren't for the fact that GN'R is so unpredictable I'd wager on it.

No one goes to GN'R concerts primarily to hear specific songs, because that they can do at home, they attend shows because of the intensity of live music and the share communal experience. It's an event, it's entertainment, it's a party. Obviously you don't feel it that way.

Wrong, at every show i went to people where yelling the names of the classic songs they like/ wanted to hear. (Welcome to the jungle, Sweet child o' mine, Paradise city,...) And how do you know how i feel? Are you some kind of paranormal freak?

And how about for work on a follow-up to 2008's "Chinese Democracy?" "There are some clamoring and rumors that we might be getting some material together here after we do this little (theater) run, so we'll see what happens," Reed says. "I just go with the flow. I'm always recording and stuff. If it happens it will be really fun and cool. I love creating stuff with all the guys. And there was so much material that didn't make it onto ('Chinese Democracy'). From what I remember there were a lot of really cool songs; I can only hope that some of that stuff does resurface and get worked out."

Source: http://www.billboard.com/news/all-original-guns-n-roses-members-will-be-1006185362.story#/news/all-original-guns-n-roses-members-will-be-1006185362.story

Thanks, just now I found out it was in another thread talking about a fucking reunion on HOF for the 6349279823 time. :tongue2:

Yeah, Dizzy is not saying much nor is confident about anything. IMHO, seems like he's talking about what he reads on MyGNR.com, lol. Still, if he's just playing with the words to not actually state anything that can not work out, it sure seems like we will indeed have a new album with CD-era songs, what is pretty much the most realistic scenario anyways.

I agree 100 %, and if it weren't for the fact that GN'R is so unpredictable I'd wager on it.

Hmm.. I think they are one of the most predictable bands out there right now.

Wrong, at every show i went to people where yelling the names of the classic songs they like/ wanted to hear. (Welcome to the jungle, Sweet child o' mine, Paradise city,...)

You didn't get it. They are not there to hear those songs, because just hearing those songs they could do for free at home, they are there to hear those songs in a live setting, together with like-minded people, enjoying the entertainment that comes with a live GN'R show. That's the reason why they are there, if not they could sit at home and listen to music on their MP3 player. The fact that you don't understand this, and implicitly states that a show that repeats the same songs is valueless to you because you are there only to listen to specific songs, implies that you don't understand the point of live concerts at all.

And how do you know how i feel? Are you some kind of paranormal freak?

Yes, and not only that, I also know what the point of live shows are, something you do not.

I am glad you brought that up. What I fear the most about the live shows now, much more than repetitious set lists, reluctance to play certain old songs, Dj's way of handling some solos, or the quality of Axl's voice, is the lack of unpredictability which was so fascinating with GN'R before. It was impossible to know what would happen. Now you can gues the next song with good probabilities, hell, you can even predict Axl 's movements while singing. He is not living the songs any more, he is acting them (remember he said he had to re-lean how to move during the songs -- it's a choreographed show, not the "most dangerous band in the world". No rants, no wildness, just excellently performed performances. It's not bad -- at all! -- just not extremely fascinating and engaging to me.

But when it comes to more larger strategy decisions, the band still surprises me, like going on a theatre tour right after the US tour. Because of that I actually believe the band is still somewhat erratic in behaviour and I can't wager on what will happen in-between the theatre and the summer tour. Perhaps they will actually work on the next record, perhaps Axl will disappear, perhaps they will tour more, perhaps Axl will start chatting at my forum...I have no idea.

Wrong, at every show i went to people where yelling the names of the classic songs they like/ wanted to hear. (Welcome to the jungle, Sweet child o' mine, Paradise city,...)

You didn't get it. They are not there to hear those songs, because just hearing those songs they could do for free at home, they are there to hear those songs in a live setting, together with like-minded people, enjoying the entertainment that comes with a live GN'R show.

They can do that at home with a couple of friends and a live dvd.

No.

And how do you know how i feel? Are you some kind of paranormal freak?

Yes, and not only that, I also know what the point of live shows are, something you do not.

I have enjoyed a lot of concerts in the past 20 years so i definitely knows how the experience of a live show feels.

Boring to you, perhaps, but the festival audiences in Europe will expect the big hits and be very bored if the setlist focuses on lesser known songs. And the band is playing to the audiences, not us hardcore fans.

Yeah, I meant boring to us, of course.

Not boring to this hardcore European fan! I enjoy whatever I get.

I am glad you brought that up. What I fear the most about the live shows now, much more than repetitious set lists, reluctance to play certain old songs, Dj's way of handling some solos, or the quality of Axl's voice, is the lack of unpredictability which was so fascinating with GN'R before. It was impossible to know what would happen. Now you can gues the next song with good probabilities, hell, you can even predict Axl 's movements while singing. He is not living the songs any more, he is acting them (remember he said he had to re-lean how to move during the songs -- it's a choreographed show, not the "most dangerous band in the world". No rants, no wildness, just excellently performed performances. It's not bad -- at all! -- just not extremely fascinating and engaging to me.

I dont think so. The stage performance was always like that as far as I know. I mean, Slash would pull out the Godfather theme and then Axl comes and sing Sail Away Sweet Sister/Bad Times and then SCOM. Sure it could be totally awesome to have some unpredictable stuff like the 2006 UK tour where the band played an outstanding version of Sailing or when Axl played Dust in the Wind with Slash, but those didn't happen very often.

About the rants, the wildness... These made sense back then, but not anymore from a 50 year old guy with a pretty good and safe life with his "family".

But I see where you came from. The predictable setlists were not the problem to me untill 2010. Now they already toured the world with those songs, its time to move on. If the new abum is not anywhere near in sight, at least change the old songs, do a half-accoustic set or shuffle the Chinese stuff. I mean, give the fans a reason to watch as many gigs as possible while still pleasing the regular audience.

But when it comes to more larger strategy decisions, the band still surprises me, like going on a theatre tour right after the US tour. Because of that I actually believe the band is still somewhat erratic in behaviour and I can't wager on what will happen in-between the theatre and the summer tour. Perhaps they will actually work on the next record, perhaps Axl will disappear, perhaps they will tour more, perhaps Axl will start chatting at my forum...I have no idea.

I take those strategy decisions more like a sloppy way to deal with things with no roadmap at all. It doesnt seem like they know exactly what they should do in this spare time between tours. Bumblefoot once said how he wasn't sure about his own plans because he could have been called at any time for a 4 month straight tour around the world.

Well, to be fair, that how it used to look like. Now, since Beta got the job of management, seems like at least they know what they will be doing in advance. Not kissing ass or anything, just telling how its looking like to me.

you're kidding right?

No. Without the chance of hearing any new songs there ain't nothing exciting for me at these shows. It's just the same setlist as years ago and i'm done with that.

These are the setlists of the shows i visited in the past 10 years:

08.24.02 - Pukkelpop Festival, Pukkelpop Field, Hasselt-Kiewit, Belgium

set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Out Ta Get Me, Madagascar, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Guitar Solo [buckethead], Chinese Democracy, Piano Solo, November Rain, The Blues, Patience, Rocket Queen, Guitar Solo [buckethead], My Michelle, Nightrain

encore: Guitar Solo [Robin], Paradise City

06.24.06 - Graspop Metal Meeting, Dessel, Belgium

set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Better, Sweet Child O' Mine, You Could Be Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, The Blues, Out Ta Get Me, November Rain, I.R.S., My Michelle, Patience, Nightrain

encore: Paradise City

09.30.2010 - Sportpaleis Antwerp, Belgium

set: Chinese Democracy, Welcome to the Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Sorry, Better, Richard Fortus Guitar Solo, Live and Let Die,Instrumental Jam, This I Love, Rocket Queen, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo, Street of Dreams, You Could Be Mine, DJ Ashba Guitar Solo, Sweet Child O' Mine, Instrumental Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2), Axl Rose Piano Solo, November Rain, Bumblefoot Guitar Solo, Don't Cry, I.R.S., Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Encore: Instrumental Jam, Madagascar, Whole Lotta Rosie, Paradise City

As you can see nothing much have changed.

Ok I guess we are different. I love to see the band every chance I get as long as CD is the opener :tongue2:

EDIT: At least you got to hear Rhiad live !!!

Riad was GREAT @ Pukkelpop! Really enjoyed it.