Shut up about the setlist! Axl is singing for the majority of his fans

Kaneda

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don'y change the setlist during this tour, It'll be harder for them to change it for the european tour. They can't play this again om europe.... It'd be so boring!!

Boring to you, perhaps, but the festival audiences in Europe will expect the big hits and be very bored if the setlist focuses on lesser known songs. And the band is playing to the audiences, not us hardcore fans.

If they don'y change the setlist during this tour, It'll be harder for them to change it for the european tour. They can't play this again om europe.... It'd be so boring!!

Boring to you, perhaps, but the festival audiences in Europe will expect the big hits and be very bored if the setlist focuses on lesser known songs. And the band is playing to the audiences, not us hardcore fans.

Yeah, I meant boring to us, of course.

Hmmm have you seen the european dates then ??? You will find if you look they are only playing in 4 festivals, the other 16 dates so far are Guns N Roses events !!!!

So what would you say if you heard that some posters on a U2 board really, really wanted to hear a couple of particular songs on a tour, other than who the fuck cares? Is this the only band message board where people express opinions on songs they want to hear live?

Opinions are opinions that is fine. I respect that. I dont repect the fact some some users insult the band because of the setlists. When that happens, being that this is a discussion board, and GNr is my fav band. I step in, and throw in my two cents.

Yes you throw your 2 cents, but you come accross really aggressive sometimes. It's not just your opinion that counts sonny boy

Strange way of thinking...

IF ....they don't change....THEN it'll be harder to change it in europe ????

Why ?????????????????????????

The opposite is as much true... if not more true...

IF ...they don't change now.... IT will be (so much) easier to change it in Europe

Maybe they finish the Chin Dem Tour in an Up close and Personal way of performing...

to start a new and completely different tour in Europe...

This summer there are 3 Guns N' Roses shows near where i live and at this moment i don't have any plans to visit 1 of them. I'm just tired to hear the same songs again.

This summer there are 3 Guns N' Roses shows near where i live and at this moment i don't have any plans to visit 1 of them. I'm just tired to hear the same songs again.

you're kidding right?

No. Without the chance of hearing any new songs there ain't nothing exciting for me at these shows. It's just the same setlist as years ago and i'm done with that.

These are the setlists of the shows i visited in the past 10 years:

08.24.02 - Pukkelpop Festival, Pukkelpop Field, Hasselt-Kiewit, Belgium

set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Out Ta Get Me, Madagascar, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Guitar Solo [buckethead], Chinese Democracy, Piano Solo, November Rain, The Blues, Patience, Rocket Queen, Guitar Solo [buckethead], My Michelle, Nightrain

encore: Guitar Solo [Robin], Paradise City

06.24.06 - Graspop Metal Meeting, Dessel, Belgium

set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Better, Sweet Child O' Mine, You Could Be Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, The Blues, Out Ta Get Me, November Rain, I.R.S., My Michelle, Patience, Nightrain

encore: Paradise City

09.30.2010 - Sportpaleis Antwerp, Belgium

set: Chinese Democracy, Welcome to the Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Sorry, Better, Richard Fortus Guitar Solo, Live and Let Die,Instrumental Jam, This I Love, Rocket Queen, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo, Street of Dreams, You Could Be Mine, DJ Ashba Guitar Solo, Sweet Child O' Mine, Instrumental Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2), Axl Rose Piano Solo, November Rain, Bumblefoot Guitar Solo, Don't Cry, I.R.S., Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Encore: Instrumental Jam, Madagascar, Whole Lotta Rosie, Paradise City

As you can see nothing much have changed.

Edited by droezle

I'd rather see that live than hear TWAT and see only 10 fanboys out of 3000 singing along.

Why do you people need to check or care about other people's reactions? Are you going to enjoy Star Wars Episode I in 3D because there are 500 hundreds geeks fanboys enjoying this shit? I don't give a fuck if a video on youtube got 3000 dislikes on youtube and 1 like. The important thing is the quality, not what anyone thinks of it.

The majority of people nowadays listens to Lady Gaga. And if we're being objective, Lady Gaga is mediocre at best. Which means most people nowadays have crappy tastes in music. That's why CD flopped (that and lack of promotion).

So why care if only 10 people will sing along to TWAT? It's one of the best GNR songs.

That being said, I personally think GNR current setlist is epic. November Rain, Estranged, Civil War, Chinese Democracy, Jungle, Rocket Queen.. there are so many amazing songs in this setlist. The problem isn't really the setlist, which kicks major asses, BUT the lack of change in the setlist. GNR are gonna play near my home in June, and I haven't bought my ticket and probably won't, because I saw them 4 times in 2010 and I don't want to see the same show I went to 2 years ago. Plain and simple. The only new real additions are Estranged and Civil War. Sure it's great, but it ain't enough.

Back in 2009/early 2010, GNR were rotating a lot more with the setlist. It was exciting and I would have gone to every show if I could have. But now it's like, you know what you're gonna eat, and I don't like that.

This is why people complain about the setlist and they are right to do so. What's scarier to me are people who absolutely want to see "the good". If you want things to evolve, you have to complain and fight, otherwise you won't do shit in life except have the same job every day, meet the same people, go around the same places, and you'll die unhappy.

Life is about experience and variations, and rock is about freedom of change.

My post isn't that clear, but I think you'll get my point. Bottomline is: GNR need to rotate songs, and toss more CD songs in the setlists, otherwise this band will really end up as a tour band and only play the greatest hits for the rest of their lives and be one more boring live band like we already have too much. Like what Muse became (except that in their case, they do support the new material when they release a new album).

One thing that bothers me is that they are not playing some of the best songs of Chinese Democracy, like TWAT and Catcher. Those two songs could make such a better impression on non-hardcore fans that they might think about actually giving the album a chance. Instead, they are hearing songs like Sorry, IMO not the best choice at all to represent the album. I don't like This I Love that much, specially with Ashba, but I admit people may like it.

The thing is: changing the setlist shouldnt be a big deal. It would make things interesting for the band and the fans who want to catch them in more than just one gig. But IMO, what droezle saw in Beligium was the same core setlist, but more different enough. And let's just face it, even if they had the second new album released by now, this wouldn't change. They NEED to play those classics.

Having said that, I do believe we could get new songs by the time of the European tour. From February to June is more than enough time to rehearse for those songs. They could, but I'm not betting they will.

One thing that bothers me is that they are not playing some of the best songs of Chinese Democracy, like TWAT and Catcher. Those two songs could make such a better impression on non-hardcore fans that they might think about actually giving the album a chance. Instead, they are hearing songs like Sorry, IMO not the best choice at all to represent the album. I don't like This I Love that much, specially with Ashba, but I admit people may like it.

The thing is: changing the setlist shouldnt be a big deal. It would make things interesting for the band and the fans who want to catch them in more than just one gig. But IMO, what droezle saw in Beligium was the same core setlist, but more different enough. And let's just face it, even if they had the second new album released by now, this wouldn't change. They NEED to play those classics.

Having said that, I do believe we could get new songs by the time of the European tour. From February to June is more than enough time to rehearse for those songs. They could, but I'm not betting they will.

Good post, TWAT and Catcher can get casual fans into the album. At least they are playing Better which is by far the catchiest song on the album. IFW would be great too, Ron's nylon string guitar is just gathering dust.

Good post, TWAT and Catcher can get casual fans into the album. At least they are playing Better which is by far the catchiest song on the album. IFW would be great too, Ron's nylon string guitar is just gathering dust.

No doubt about Better! My fav Gnr song.

People bitch about the Setlist because if he is just going to keep doing glorified greatest hits tours then he might as well call Slash/Izzy/Duff and do it right.

Some of us would like to see the band become more than a glorified touring cover band.

New material is needed to make that happen.

Chinese D needed to take off for that to happen. While it did well, it just could never live up to the hype or deliver better music than the guns material of old. We all love it, but for most fans, the old material is all they ever want to hear. But wtf does the setlist have to do with what u want? If Axl sings The General live, what would that change? If he added more CD to the list, what would that change? What your really looking for is a sign that Axl hasn't given up on the project - reinventing guns - because all die hard message board fans wanted him to succeed in making an even better guns. Not gonna happen. We've landed on a happy compromise. While new guns won't take over the world, they will deliver one of the finest live rock shows money can buy. Without Slash, most fans could care less about new guns music. It's apparent now most fans loved them equally, and they just don't care for one without the other.

Great post. Reinventing Guns will NEVER happen, no matter how bad It might piss off a few members of this board, and lets face It, all though Chinese Democracy was a decent album, It just doesn't stand up to or compare to any of the previous releases from the band(not counting The Spaghetti Incident). The current version of the band puts on a great show and will have a slight advantage If or when they decide to release a new album, as the expectations will be nowhere near as high as they were for Chinese Democracy.

I agree with everything you say. It shouldn't be a problem for the band to rotate the CD songs more, and let the best songs, including TWAT and CITR get more played. And now with the recent Dizzy comment on maybe working on the new record after the theatre tour, the band SHOULD have something new ready to debut in Europe :D

Strange way of thinking...

IF ....they don't change....THEN it'll be harder to change it in europe ????

Why ?????????????????????????

The opposite is as much true... if not more true...

IF ...they don't change now.... IT will be (so much) easier to change it in Europe

Maybe they finish the Chin Dem Tour in an Up close and Personal way of performing...

to start a new and completely different tour in Europe...

Dude, if they change it now, they won't need to go to Europe unrehearsed (with Axl, I mean). They'll be ready. Plus, If they don't change the setlist given the fact they toured the US last year, I think it's harder to think they'll go through the trouble of chaining the setlist to a crowd that hasn't seen them in 2 years, and that might have seen different songs at that time (if the world, IRS, etc..).

Wow dude, really? I'd still go the their concerts. But sure, I'd be a lot more pumped to go if they played a different setlist.

I thought going to concerts was all about the intensity of live music and the shared communal experience, more than hearing specific songs. If so I would just stay home and listen to MP3s.

Not that I complain or whatever, but I really think it's time for some changes. They should add some new songs from their whole catalog (from AFD to CD). It's not that hard to understand. Why don't they play 'Dead Horse' instead of 'Mr. Brownstone' for example? Or 'Prostitute' instead of 'Street Of Dreams'? And then, you swap them out between shows. To me, that would be a "big change" for a band that has been touring the same thing 10 years and from a band that won't release new material in the near future. You're not complaining just because you're expecting for some 'new' things to happen, and if so, why should people shut up? They're free to express their opinion, what the fuck is wrong with this forum?

You should post more often!!!!!

I saw them in 2006 and 2010, neither of which varied massively from the standard setlists (no TWAT or the like) and there are still probably five or so songs I have quite a high chance of hearing them play live were I to see them again that I am yet to hear. This includes Civil War and Estranged, both of which I would consider a massive deal were I to get to hear them live. I have also heard 8 CD tracks live which I do not consider too bad at all.

In addition to the classics which are always a bonus I feel very lucky to have had the two shows I have gone to, and would be delighted to have seen any of the recent shows too.

I thought going to concerts was all about the intensity of live music and the shared communal experience, more than hearing specific songs. If so I would just stay home and listen to MP3s.

How many people visit a G N' R show because of the classic songs?