Another reason that Guns N' Roses should play new music

Tyler Drama

Listen to this. This was the first time Guns N' Roses ever performed the song Chinese Democracy. Listen carefully to the way Axl sings it. He's singing in a way that says "I want to show people exactly how awesome this song is" almost as if he's trying to impress the audience. Compare this performance to any recent performance of the song. Now he sings it in a way that he sings all the other songs in the setlist. "You've heard this song a bunch of times and like it, so now I'm gonna sing it for you." He still gives the songs his all and fucking sings his heart out, but none of them have the same feeling as this performance of Chinese Democracy in 2001. He performs like this when debuting something brand new. I can't wait until the next time he debuts a brand new song and wants to impress us all. Anyone understand what I'm saying? Thoughts?

IMO, he should just release a new song every 3-4 months for a year or so, then release an album. If he can have 3 solid singles out in a year's time maybe more people would be interested enough to buy the new album and it would do a little better than CD did. The old way of releasing albums just doesn't really work any more, time to try something different....

I agree, but I think departure of Robin/Buckethead/Brain from the band also is a reason. For them all ChD songs was their songs, now for Ron/Frank/Ashba is just another song which they have to play but don't have any emotions about it.

It is a great performance - but let's not forget that Axl and his voice have aged 11 years since then.

I agree though, he does occasionally seem a bit complacent on stage even about the 'newer' (or should that be 'slightly less old') material now. I don't think the fans are the ones who need convincing there should be new material though...

Edited by tomfriend

It was a darker version of CD. I like it somewhat more. Excellent vocals.

Yeah I feel the same way, it has a different feel than the final version

I am really curious as to what the studio version of the song sounded like back in the 99-02 era

Edited by WhazUp

Wow, can't believe how candid he was back then about playing new material live... Alot has changed for sure. The 2006 new songs were only played because they leaked but we received an abundance of new material prior to that. Chinese, Silkworms, Riad, The Blues and Maddy, that's almost half an album. Personally don't think we will get a new song live until a follow up album surfaces.

I love how every era of GnR have their own distinctive feel, look and sound.

I will always miss the bucket era the most though.

Edited by gunns5

Yeah...

Even though the live performances weren't quite as polished ( and...predictable ) as today's, they had an edge. They must have been very exciting...

Wish Axl felt the same about new music nowadays. *sigh*

They were less of a "nostalgic cover band"(not my thoughts but I can see why people use that term) back then than they are now too... It seemed he really was trying to show that this was a reinvention and not a duplication back then....

Yeah...

Even though the live performances weren't quite as polished ( and...predictable ) as today's, they had an edge. They must have been very exciting...

They were less of a "nostalgic cover band"(not my thoughts but I can see why people use that term) back then than they are now too... It seemed he really was trying to show that this was a reinvention and not a duplication back then....

+1

Couldn't agree more! He definitely wanted to show the world his new music but yet again he was 38 years old........

Something transpired from 2002-2006 that made him ALOT less enthusiastic about the whole ordeal. The banter with the crowd has diminished greatly. Here he spoke about the origins of Chinese Democracy and was proud to display it. Nowadays he is silent for the most part and does not debut any new songs.

Edited by Young_Gun

Couldn't agree more! He definitely wanted to show the world his new music but yet again he was 38 years old........

Something transpired from 2002-2006 that made him ALOT less enthusiastic about the whole ordeal.

if I were to hazard a guess I'd say the main factor being someone who weighs between 150 - 300 kgs and gets enjoyment out of benefiting from others work.

Yeah...

For sure. Unlike nowadays, he wasnt trying to be what GNR was once. They were just a new GNR with a real future in sight.

Yeah...

For sure. Unlike nowadays, he wasnt trying to be what GNR was once. They were just a new GNR with a real future in sight.

Sure wish he would express his feelings toward the whole debacle... It's clear to me that alot did not go his way.

IMO, he should just release a new song every 3-4 months for a year or so, then release an album. If he can have 3 solid singles out in a year's time maybe more people would be interested enough to buy the new album and it would do a little better than CD did. The old way of releasing albums just doesn't really work any more, time to try something different....

This.

In 2001 and 2002 Axl seemed to lack confidence. He tried hard in the new songs - the intro for The Blues was a highlight of his vocals on any given show. He used to talk more to the crowd, sure, but mostly to complain about something or tell people how hard it was for him to be there in the first place.

Nowadays he seems happier, more confident and just more concerned with putting out a great show than hitting every single note so people will like the new stuff. I think it's great. He knows the album is out there for people to judge and he's just there to have fun, not prove himself.

Edited by Stardust