OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

"Axl could play a couple songs with the old guys and it won't have lifetime career consequences."

What music industry experience do you have that qualifies you to make that determination?

Nobody is questioning your right to express what you would like to see or what you think could or should take place, but what expertise or knowledge do you have that makes you able to definitively determine what would or would not have longterm consequences on the efforts of current GNR?

What "efforts of current GN'R." The only thing the current GN'R are doing now are playing material written by the old band, cover songs, and over the course of a decade they'll played (and released) only 14 new songs. I would understand if they released a few albums with promotion, but they haven't. I don't think Axl playing with the old band will tarnish anything the new band is doing, in fact it could kick-start Axl's mainstream acceptance again. If Axl doesn't show up, the media will be shitting on him, but if he was to even show up it will make Axl look like the bigger man.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also live in 2012 and don't see why it's required to long for 1987 in order to call yourself a fan. I'm enjoying 2012 quite nicely.

2012 GNR primarily covers 2002, 1991 and especially 1987 GNR.

Without any signs of 2012 GN'R being played or released.

I don't think they'll ever make an album, and frankly I don't even want them to. All they need to do is release the rest of the material from the Buckethead era, and then play that live.

If you liked Chinese Democracy, you will want to hear more Bumblefoot too. He already recorded on those tracks anyway.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to hear more Bumblefoot, he is prodigy, even more so than Buckethead. I can understand why you are not interested in Ashba though.

It's not that people aren't interested in Ashba, it's just the fact that if Axl was to start from scratch with the current band, it may take years to release new material. Atleast the Buckethead/Finck material is already done. Just re-record some parts, add maybe a brand new song, and release it.

Ron did say he recorded tracks for those unheard songs, at least some of them, so I would be happy to hear them.

The current band can write new songs in the flick of the wrist, especially Ron. Just Axl needs to be inspired. Hence the touring.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I also live in 2012 and don't see why it's required to long for 1987 in order to call yourself a fan. I'm enjoying 2012 quite nicely.

I don't think they'll ever make an album, and frankly I don't even want them to. All they need to do is release the rest of the material from the Buckethead era, and then play that live.

If you liked Chinese Democracy, you will want to hear more Bumblefoot too. He already recorded on those tracks anyway.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to hear more Bumblefoot, he is prodigy, even more so than Buckethead. I can understand why you are not interested in Ashba though.

I can't stand Bumblefoot's lead guitar playing on Chinese Democracy. I really don't ever want to hear an album written with him! I don't mind DJ Ashba, but if you are going to go with somebody like that, then you might as well get Slash back. With Bucket and Robin I felt like they were going in a new direction; with Ashba and Ron I feel like they are just going with a poor man's version of the Buckethead and Slash lineups. They do a good job live, but an album from this lineup isn't really necessary.

Edited by ITW 2012

Opinion bro, not fact. Bumblefoot is the best guitarist this current line-up has, that's for sure but I don't think he's more prodigy than Buckethead. Buckethead's solo stuff is waaaaay more entertaining than Bumblefoot's IMHO.

Ron did say he recorded tracks for those unheard songs, at least some of them, so I would be happy to hear them.

The current band can write new songs in the flick of the wrist, especially Ron. Just Axl needs to be inspired. Hence the touring.

You really think so? Look how long Chinese Democracy took to come out. That's because Axl kept tinkering with parts of different songs, trying to get them as perfect as possible.

And that's the thing, if Axl isn't inspired to release new material, he still has a vault of music that could easily be re-recorded or redone.

But, then again it could not be Axl's fault as to why we haven't gotten new material yet, it could be that he and the label cannot find a good deal. But, even then I still wish he could tell us what's going on with the record company's stuff about new music, so we can get an idea. All the speculation and wishful-thinking is sending some people into a frenzy.

Opinion bro, not fact. Bumblefoot is the best guitarist this current line-up has, that's for sure but I don't think he's more prodigy than Buckethead. Buckethead's solo stuff is waaaaay more entertaining than Bumblefoot's IMHO.

He does refrain from going all out on his solo stuff unlike Buckethead. I prefers Buckets solos but I think Ron is a great songwriter.

I love that fretless.

Edited by BirdCatcher

And I'll put DJ's best riffs from the last five years up against Slash's any day.

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: Funniest post of the year.

Funny indeed. And some people call me delusional.

Well, I don't like Slash's solo carreer. I have heard ONE Velvet Revolver song my whole life. I don't like bluesy-hard rock. I loved AFD and UYI as a kid, but I grew up listening to so many styles that I just can't have much respect for such an unoriginal style as hard rock nowadays.

I really disliked Slash for that. For being stuck in one style. Certainly the reason Axl and Slash had problems was their different taste and vision music wise.

Well, the current version of GnR looks and sounds very hard rock. Specially Axl. He's got more of that hard rock visual now than in the UYI tours. It's weird. The concert setlists are also mostly straight forward rock n' roll, the only CD songs included are the ones with a more traditional style.

I believe Axl and Slash are not thinking so differently about music, as of today. Axl didn't include a Moby or a NIN cover in his live show recently but a Rolling Stone tune. So, I believe that after playing together and putting all differences aside, they could work together again. In my opinion they are in the same music "mood".

Slash seems a lot more open-minded than in the past (recorded with Fergie, Travis Barker, etc) and Axl looks tired of experimental and modern music and is trying to get back to basics (it's not a fact, just my opinion, ok e-nazis?). I wouldn't like the songs probably. But if I could choose between a hard rock sounding GnR album with Slash or Ashba, my pick would be Mr. Hudson.

But if I had a third option: gimme more of those bucket and finck tracks, no question.

And I'll put DJ's best riffs from the last five years up against Slash's any day.

Well, I don't like Slash's solo carreer. I have heard ONE Velvet Revolver song my whole life. I don't like bluesy-hard rock. I loved AFD and UYI as a kid, but I grew up listening to so many styles that I just can't have much respect for such an unoriginal style as hard rock nowadays.

I really disliked Slash for that. For being stuck in one style. Certainly the reason Axl and Slash had problems was their different taste and vision music wise.

Well, the current version of GnR looks and sounds very hard rock. Specially Axl. He's got more of that hard rock visual now than in the UYI tours. It's weird. The concert setlists are also mostly straight forward rock n' roll, the only CD songs included are the ones with a more traditional style.

I believe Axl and Slash are not thinking so differently about music, as of today. Axl didn't include a Moby or a NIN cover in his live show recently but a Rolling Stone tune. So, I believe that after playing together and putting all differences aside, they could work together again. In my opinion they are in the same music "mood".

Slash seems a lot more open-minded than in the past (recorded with Fergie, Travis Barker, etc) and Axl looks tired of experimental and modern music and is trying to get back to basics (it's not a fact, just my opinion, ok e-nazis?). I wouldn't like the songs probably. But if I could choose between a hard rock sounding GnR album with Slash or Ashba, my pick would be Mr. Hudson.

But if I had a third option: gimme more of those bucket and finck tracks, no question.

Slash certain seems more busy than Axl, in 17 years he has released five albums, with one more on the way as oppose to one by Axl. I think Axl's one album is superior in quality over all of them though. Was never into Velvet Revolver, Snakepit was okay, fun to listen to, but I prefer Chinese a lot more. His first solo album was good, again fun, but not inspiring. I don't know what to expect with the next but I am sure I will like it all the same.

Slash certain seems more busy than Axl, in 17 years he has released five albums, with one more on the way as oppose to one by Axl. I think Axl's one album is superior in quality over all of them though. Was never into Velvet Revolver, Snakepit was okay, fun to listen to, but I prefer Chinese a lot more. His first solo album was good, again fun, but not inspiring. I don't know what to expect with the next but I am sure I will like it all the same.

i actually agree, dude. i love all of Slash's post GNR work but ChiDem is the best

I'm so angry with Axl's people...

Really? You realize that it is up to Axl 100%. No one is making him do or not do this. I won't lie and say I don't want to see it, but I am happy either way, as long as they all show up :)

to clarify I mean if Axl's camp said no, then that came from Axl. We don't even know if the whole band is in or not yet, where is Izzy?

You're right! Which is why I'm upset with both of them.

I'd be perfectly happy if he just shook hands with Slash and smiled, but hell, a one-off would've been great.

I'm so angry with Axl's people...

It was the anouncer that said that, not Slash. Slash never replied to the statement.

He said, "Yeah," and chuckled...

That yeah and chuckle was just him laughing. Nothing more. Doesn't mean he agrees.

It is still out in the open.

They said, "Was it Axl?"

He hesitated and said, "Not directly."

Pretty clear to me.

"Axl could play a couple songs with the old guys and it won't have lifetime career consequences."

What music industry experience do you have that qualifies you to make that determination?

Nobody is questioning your right to express what you would like to see or what you think could or should take place, but what expertise or knowledge do you have that makes you able to definitively determine what would or would not have longterm consequences on the efforts of current GNR?

Another poster who believes fans must have a phd in psychology, economy, etc to post their opinions. It's just an opinion man, calm the fuck down.

He has the right to express himself, like you said. It's his opinion. What knowledge does he have? Same as yours probably, same as mine, regular people. If you don't like to give your opinions because you think you are not wise enough, respect other people's option to give theirs, being a complete ignorant or not. Kudos to you if you think that your ignorance is not worth sharing.

Edited by maynard

The was Slash reacted when they asked if it was due to Axl, was almost as if he made fun of Axl. I'm sure that this wont increase the chances.

If he really wants to play and not just look like the good guy, he should address it in a more serious manner I think.

I didn't take any of that is making fun of Axl at all. In fact I thought he addressed the HOF in the best way he can considering how uncertain everything is

All in all someone must have told Slash that no performance would happen, be it someone from Axl's camp (not saying its Axl's fault persay) or otherwise. Even if nobody in the band has communicated, that doesn't mean nobody else has tried to dictate what will happen

Edited by WhazUp

The was Slash reacted when they asked if it was due to Axl, was almost as if he made fun of Axl. I'm sure that this wont increase the chances.

If he really wants to play and not just look like the good guy, he should address it in a more serious manner I think.

LOLWUT

...huh? Making fun of axl? All he said was "...not necessarily..". How is that condescending? The radio hosts said "axls people" etc. Slash just said it would be cool to play, especially fo their "legion of fans" but it's been pretty clear that it's not gonna happen. Not sure how you hyper analyzed that into slash not being serious, and making fun of axl... :rolleyes:

I think u are putting to much importance into it.

This is rock and roll. Axl could play a couple songs with the old guys and it won't have lifetime career consequences.

It would just be a fun thing to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

THIS. Holy shit people over analyze the absolute hell out of this rrhof thing. All this talk about it undoing the new bands progress, etc. is just so absurd to me.

This is rock and roll. Axl could play a couple songs with the old guys and it won't have lifetime career consequences.

THIS. Holy shit people over analyze the absolute hell out of this rrhof thing. All this talk about it undoing the new bands progress, etc. is just so absurd to me.

+1

GNR 1-6 -

The effort to promote their most recent record, tour the world and release subsequent records. You complain about the lack of activity over the course of a decade, but fail to see that much of that time was spent rebuilding several times as well as battling for the right to exist when dealing with labels/promoters/managers/etc who all preferred for GNR to fail in the hopes that failure would = reunion. Despite all the stumbling blocks and drama, GNR still exists and has made serious progress since 2009.

To those in power who have finally began to accept that Axl really will not do a reunion under any circumstance and maybe it's time to cooperate and make whatever money can be made from the current band rather than chasing the massive reunion money, any sign of weakness on Axl's part in regards to his refusal to reunite could refuel previous efforts to impede progress by the current band.

If Axl is serious about the current band, his best move (in my opinion) is to show up, be civil, accept the honor, and go home.

As for who wrote the material GNR has been playing, the old band certainly didn't write the 7 songs played from Chinese and Slash only helped write one of the 7 songs played from Illusions. He didn't help write any of the songs played from Lies.

Hypocritical much?

+1

+2

i agree with you guys. all the world would love to watch this one night. and that's it. gnr isn't a big band anymore. it will be on the news for a one or two days. it wont undo anything because there isn't anything to be undone. all the current band has is the name and this same current band would have a blast watching those 5 guys playin together, maybe even tommy, who never liked gnr.