OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

If by chance Slash, Izzy, Steven and Duff all want to perform what possible reason could Axl have to refuse, other than to hold a grudge?

One reason he could have to refuse would be that he's worked tirelessly for over a decade to rebuild Guns N' Roses and he could possibly undue years of progress in one night by reuniting with an old lineup on national television. It's taken years and years of touring for Guns N' Roses to finally get to the point where you don't have a huge portion of the audience expecting to see Slash on stage. Axl has fought to keep a clear distinction between who is in Guns N' Roses and who isn't. I'm sure that's part of why it was so important that Slash not be used in connection with Welcome to the Jungle in the Guitar Hero game.

But not only has he had to fight to establish the current band's identity, I'm sure it's been very difficult trying to get anything done when various business interests are ALWAYS going to be completely fixated on the idea of a reunion. I believe Axl has made public reference to this and we know from information that is public in regards to Azoff that attempts to force a reunion have occurred.

So maybe it's put Axl in a situation where it's difficult to make progress with the current band if people are constantly attempting to undermine the project in favor of a reunion. Axl may feel like showing even an ounce of budge on the issue of a reunion (even if it's for one night), could be extremely counter productive to his future plans as well as the work that's been put in to getting GNR to the point it's at now (where it's able to successfully tour the world even without Izzy, Duff and Slash).

This is largely speculation on my part, but you asked for a posible reason other than to hold a grudge, and this is certainly one possible reason (and there are several).

I'd like to agree with you, but save a couple (?) thousand people in this world, no on gives a RAT'S ASS or has any idea who is in the band now. The identity issue is moot. The 2001/02 lineup had a wonderful opportunity to make a new and LASTING identity. Had that lineup stayed together and released albums in say 2002, 2005 and 2008, we'd all be talking about each incarnation of the band with the same regard. Unfortunatley, it all dissolved before they had a chance to make their mark. Who's responsible for that? I can't say for sure, I wasn't there, but Axll's the common denominator in all of it. What a waste. It's too late now. GN'R should be on the level of the Rolling Stones, U2 and Metallica. Unfortunately, their stock is right there with Poison, Def Leppard and Motley Crue. The GN'R I grew up with was better than that.

Edited by Yesterdaze

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSL

If it's taken 10 years to get the casual fans (which I'm assuming you are referring to) to realize that Slash is not in the band, why recruit a very mildly talented guitarist to replace him who takes the stage wearing flannel shirts, a top hat? These casual fans obviously are going to do double takes to make sure it isn't slash.

edit: oops, forgot to elaborate on this part.

The reason for this is debatable, and in my opinion, it's Axl way of trying to appease the 'casual fan', realizing that Slash's look means more to the GNR image than he thought. This is just my opinion though. And I wouldn't be surprised if Axl even told DJ this before he joined the band.

One night with the old band would not "undue years of progress" as you put it. And even if it did...it's what the fans want. This whole thing about not doing it to undue progress, offend the new band, etc. is all irrelevant and really a testament to how malleable peoples minds are. I like this new band, sure...it's the closest thing I can get to the real GNR. But a chance to see the original band perform? That one night would trump every live performance done since 1993. This board is the only place where people are so....weird.

The amount of musicians over the years to wear flannel or a top hat is so long that I have a hard time buying that DJ is trying to rip off Slash. If anything, his style seems inspired by Motley Crue.

But just like Fortus has a bit of an Izzy vibe going on, it certainly doesn't hurt that DJ has a bit of a Slash vibe going on. There's certainly something to the idea that Slash's look may mean more to GNR's image than Axl thought, but I don't think DJ was asked to dress a certain way. I've been following the guy for over a decade and his style hasn't changed that much.

I don't blame you for wanting to see the old lineup reunite, even for one night, but I think you underestimate the damage that could be done to the current band's prospects.

Axl has fought for years trying to convince both the industry and fans that a reunion is NOT happening under any circumstance and you can either take the current band or leave it, but that's where is heart is like it or not.

And I think *finally* after all these years, people are starting to believe him that he's really serious about his current and future music and he's not going to change his plans to reunite, regardless of the money at stake. Judging by the Guitar Hero lawsuit, we know this is something he's actively worked on to distance the GNR brand from the former members and try to establish what GNR is and will be.

And after being so adament for so long that he would never reunite, even for one night, and people finally starting to accept how serious he is, a lot of that progress could be undone by doing the one night reunion. Suddenly promoters or label executives who'd finally accepted a reunion was impossible and they might as well take what they can get in regards to GNR could go right back to trying to facilitate a reunion at all costs (which could damage current GNR's plans and future).

I can only imagine some of the obstacles the band must have faced trying to push forward with their plans when it would be in the best interest of everyone except the current band for the current band to fail (and in theory lead Axl to reunite with former members). After all these years, why Axl would ever want to open that can of worms is beyond me.

Hey you know what can cause damage to current GNR's prospects? Blackmailing a band with information that is private and none of your concern. Funny thought, eh?

Duff and Axl have both acknowledged they are aware of how much a one night reunion would mean to the fans, and they have both expressed a willingness to participate.

Out of curiosity, can you let us know what you're referring to when you say that Axl has expressed a willingness to participate in a one night reunion?

"Reunuion" has now come to mean Axl and Slash being in a 10 meter vicinity to eachother, like sharing the same table although awkwardly avoiding all eye contact.

"Reunuion" has now come to mean Axl and Slash being in a 10 meter vicinity to eachother, like sharing the same table although awkwardly avoiding all eye contact.

nobody knows what's gonna happen :)

we might have a great surprise on april 14th

nobody knows what's gonna happen :)

we might have a great surprise on april 14th

What I would like to see is the old members from the AFD and UYI lineups being happy and thanking the fans, not playing together, and completely laying dead all rumours and hope for a reunion in the future. I wouldn't call it a "great surprise" f it happened, but I would be satisfied. Bring on the future of GN'R!

MSL

If it's taken 10 years to get the casual fans (which I'm assuming you are referring to) to realize that Slash is not in the band, why recruit a very mildly talented guitarist to replace him who takes the stage wearing flannel shirts, a top hat? These casual fans obviously are going to do double takes to make sure it isn't slash.

The reason for this is debatable, and in my opinion, it's Axl way of trying to appease the 'casual fan', realizing that Slash's look means more to the GNR image than he thought. This is just my opinion though. And I wouldn't be surprised if Axl even told DJ this before he joined the band.

One night with the old band would not "undue years of progress" as you put it. And even if it did...it's what the fans want. This whole thing about not doing it to undue progress, offend the new band, etc. is all irrelevant and really a testament to how malleable peoples minds are. I like this new band, sure...it's the closest thing I can get to the real GNR. But a chance to see the original band perform? That one night would trump every live performance done since 1993. This board is the only place where people are so....weird.

The amount of musicians over the years to wear flannel or a top hat is so long that I have a hard time buying that DJ is trying to rip off Slash. If anything, his style seems inspired by Motley Crue.

But just like Fortus has a bit of an Izzy vibe going on, it certainly doesn't hurt that DJ has a bit of a Slash vibe going on. There's certainly something to the idea that Slash's look may mean more to GNR's image than Axl thought, but I don't think DJ was asked to dress a certain way. I've been following the guy for over a decade and his style hasn't changed that much.

I don't blame you for wanting to see the old lineup reunite, even for one night, but I think you underestimate the damage that could be done to the current band's prospects.

Axl has fought for years trying to convince both the industry and fans that a reunion is NOT happening under any circumstance and you can either take the current band or leave it, but that's where is heart is like it or not.

And I think *finally* after all these years, people are starting to believe him that he's really serious about his current and future music and he's not going to change his plans to reunite, regardless of the money at stake. Judging by the Guitar Hero lawsuit, we know this is something he's actively worked on to distance the GNR brand from the former members and try to establish what GNR is and will be.

And after being so adament for so long that he would never reunite, even for one night, and people finally starting to accept how serious he is, a lot of that progress could be undone by doing the one night reunion. Suddenly promoters or label executives who'd finally accepted a reunion was impossible and they might as well take what they can get in regards to GNR could go right back to trying to facilitate a reunion at all costs (which could damage current GNR's plans and future).

I can only imagine some of the obstacles the band must have faced trying to push forward with their plans when it would be in the best interest of everyone except the current band for the current band to fail (and in theory lead Axl to reunite with former members). After all these years, why Axl would ever want to open that can of worms is beyond me.

Hey you know what can cause damage to current GNR's prospects? Blackmailing a band with information that is private and none of your concern. Funny thought, eh?

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

MSL

Eh, I don't buy any of that. Sure Axl wants to move on but why play with Izzy and Duff? Those would fuel the rumors as well.

Dr. Brownstone -

Your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread as I have not made any predictions here.

But if you want things to consider when deciding whether any predictions I make in the future could have merit, I successfully predicted the release date of Chinese Democracy as well as which retailer would be releasing it exclusively.

facepalm.gifth_wank.gif

I'd love for the band to be standing together at the podium getting their award when the lights go up on a stage set up & ready for a band with a couple of Les Pauls and a bass with 'No Fear' written on it, just waiting....

The crowd starts chanting "PLAY! PLAY!.." over and over..they smile at each other shrug then go over and FUCKING DESTROY Cleveland...

The coolest fucking thing that could happen is if it happens last minute, and all hope is lost and then all of the sudden BOOM, "Do you know where you are Cleveland? Welcome back to the Jungle. Time to dieeeee"

That'd be pretty bad ass, and one of the coolest moments in GN'R history.

that would be fantastic!! great posts!! :)

One reason he could have to refuse would be that he's worked tirelessly for over a decade to rebuild Guns N' Roses and he could possibly undue years of progress in one night by reuniting with an old lineup on national television.

Across the world, every year millions of people go to high school or college reunions and for a few hours they hang with former friends/boyfriends/girlfriends. Then they go home to their current friends/spouse/significant other and nothing in their lives change. Why? Because you can't live in the past, and you don't throw away security that took many years to create just because you had a good time for a couple hours.

A few songs could never undo years of progress, it's just not possible. Yeah a small number of delusional or ignorant fans might think one night could lead to a permanent reunion, that's their problem. And besides like Axl said, there's no way anything could be planned longterm with Izzy and Steven so most of us know a permanent reunion of the AFD lineup will never, ever happen.

And do you know why Slash, Duff and Axl have been so happy these past few years? Because individually they now have 100% say and control with their careers. They don't have to discuss ideas with anybody else, they don't have to get others to approve their plans before proceeding, they don't have to worry about being forced to go on tours or into the studio, etc. With the current band, Axl is the boss. He makes the decisions. Whenever a bandmember is asked to play a particular song, what do they say? They all say go ask the boss, go ask Axl. That's the way Axl likes it, and there is zero chance he would go back to being just one of five guys. Same with Duff and Slash, they call the shots and that's the way they like it.

And the current GNR bandmembers are totally cool with their lead singer performing with other guys for one night. Why? Because they are not jealous psychotic girlfriends.

I think not performing a quick set at the hof would more than likely do Axl more harm than good. Even if it somehow wasn't his fault, or sole decision, he'd still come off as the asshole who denied the fans quite a juicy bone, suffer a lot of public ridicule, and get crucified in the press.

Where as if he just did it, it would just be a temporary inflation to an already existent problem. Sure, the public is aware Slash and co are out of current day "Guns N Roses", but it doesn't mean they're happy with it. The general public is ALWAYS going to want the original/classic incarnation of GNR over what we have today. Axl has never succeeded in gaining the public preference to the nu band. And probably never will. It's just one fucking night. 1-3 songs; 20 minutes tops. The fans end up happy, see Axl in a better light, the reunion gossip goes up for a couple of months, and then Axl continues to do whatever he wants to do with the nu band, Slash and co go back to their projects, and we're back to where we are now. He, and the rest of the inductees seem to be aware that this is for the fans. Nothing says thank you for the years of support louder than that.

I mean, if the nu band's status is still THAT fragile after 15 years of work, maybe Axl should reevaluate what he's trying to accomplish...

Yet, he's been selling out arenas around the world.

It is damned if he did damned if he didn't for Axl, no matter what the public is going to see him in a negative light. All he can do now is to keep touring and give people around the world the best shows and release the new album.

It is only America they can't sell out arenas because the music industry here is pro-reunion.

Based on what material? The hits that still make up 80% of the setlist?

And who are the fans more than likely coming to see? The unique legendary singer who sang on those hits that make up 80% of the setlist, right?

My point was, the general public, all over the world, still wants the original/classic GNR over what we have today. That is fact, and a fact Axl has never been able to change.

Edited by BS11290

But he doesn't care what you think. Leave it the millions of fans who would go see the shows just for Axl.

If a reunion would ever happen, it would be a partial one, and that would be lame. The guy who was the keystone to the GN'R sound was Izzy and he isn't coming back. Unless they would play exclusively in clubs or bars but the managers promoters would want a more profitable stadium tour and that just isn't Izzy.

Steven just can't be relied on. He as given the opportunity to clean up, he never did, probably never will.

Everyone but Steven has clearly moved on, not sure why the fans can't. I mean do you really want to go back to dating your high school girlfriend who has lost that smoken hot bod years ago? That ship has sailed.

As for the ROR. I couldn't give less of a fuck, the whole institution is as George C. Scott once said about the Oscars, a goddamn meat parade. You really think voters would have given GN'R the rare opportunity to get inducted in the first year of eligibility without being bought by promoters hoping to cash in on a reunion?

It seems Slash has already nipped it in the bud.

Based on what material? The hits that still make up 80% of the setlist?

And who are the fans more than likely coming to see? The unique legendary singer who sang on those hits that make up 80% of the setlist, right?

My point was, the general public, all over the world, still wants the original/classic GNR over what we have today. That is fact, and a fact Axl has never been able to change.

lolno

It might not be directed at Axl, but we know that Slash/Duff/Steven would play for sure. I would think Izzy would if the others were. That leaves only Axl really. If he doesn't want to play, he needs to own it and not try and make excuses or BS anyone. Just say he didn't want to play, and leave it at that.