OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

Interesting but as some others have mentioned, doing so would undo everything Axl has been trying to do for years. It is a catch 22 either way.

Exactly. Anyways, I'm starting to have a strange feeling that tells me they're gonna play there...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gunns5

It's intersting too though who slash contacted on Axls camp , and whether it was a definitive answer or is the door still left open for the possibility..

IMO playing together as the old group would do more harm than good at this point, I fucking hate to say that but it is reality. I love the new band as well so for me I am torn. Playing one song would open the floodgates so to speak about getting back together, it would never end.

Im sure Axl knows he has a multi-multi-million dollar payday waiting for him if and when he decides to do a reunion tour. If he still has plans for the current-GnR, then just accept the award onstage, but dont play together with the original band. Save that for the real deal reunion tour in the future, don't give anything away now, it does no good if you still plan on touring with nuGuns.

If they sound great, people will want them back now and care less about nuGnR. If they sound bad, if will lessen the impact of the real reunion tour in the future. I say just accept the award and wait for the reunion tour and sign a deal worth millions upon mlilions in a few years.

Guest gunns5

IMO playing together as the old group would do more harm than good at this point, I fucking hate to say that but it is reality. I love the new band as well so for me I am torn. Playing one song would open the floodgates so to speak about getting back together, it would never end.

Agreed, it would have to be orchestrated in a way that people know that it would be the last time they'll ever play, with no doubt whatsoever in peoples minds in thinking otherwise.

Either way, it will make Axl the focus of a lot of hate from one side of the fence or the other.

But then again it would probably be a PR persons dream 1000's of entertainment reports about a possible reunion. It could also bring back interest but at the expense of the new band and new material.

I would rather new material then a reunion (CD2 + CD3)

Yeah, me too.

The one thing this band old or new has never been was predictable, this is no exception. We won't know shit till after the event. I am happy with them getting together and claiming thier place in the hall, after that well...

Agreed, it would have to be orchestrated in a way that people know that it would be the last time they'll ever play, with no doubt whatsoever in peoples minds in thinking otherwise.

Either way, it will make Axl the focus of a lot of hate from one side of the fence or the other.

The ONLY way I can think of this happening is if the old band plays one saong followed by the new band playing a hot new single, that to me seems highly unlikely, but it could launch the band up a notch.

When Gunsguy says "it would never end", keep in mind that Slash left in 1996, and the people who can't get past that still whine about it today in 2012. I'm not sure it even matters at this point.

Axl will get criticized no matter what he does. If he really, legitimately wants to do it for one night, he should do it. Make it clear it's a one-off, and move on.

And yes, I too would prefer new material over a reunion. But Axl doesn't seem too interested in that option either, so ...

When Gunsguy says "it would never end", keep in mind that Slash left in 1996, and the people who can't get past that still whine about it today in 2012. I'm not sure it even matters at this point.

Axl will get criticized no matter what he does. If he really, legitimately wants to do it for one night, he should do it. Make it clear it's a one-off, and move on.

And yes, I too would prefer new material over a reunion. But Axl doesn't seem too interested in that option either, so ...

It would be very hard to make it clear that it is one thing, the press would have a field day about them reuniting after that. As far as new music, it has been what? 3 years or so? Axl is interested in new music, don't worry so much just yet :thumbsup:

i don't want to be disrespectful but playing a song wouldn't do shit to "everything they've accomplished in the past few years." The media and casual fans will always pine for a reunion, one song will not create some mass vortex of negativity that will consume the popularity the current line up has. The people that like the new band will continue to do so, the ones that want a reunion might bitch for a few months, but in a year's time- everything will be business as usual.

Do you think that playing one or two songs at the HOF really puts the current line up's successes and popularity in such danger? Are they really that fragile? Can't their live show and one album prove that they can stand on their own? If you really think that playing one night 30 minutes tops with the band that put ALL OF THEM on the map will cause them irreversible damage, then maybe you aren't giving them the respect they deserve. Hell, DJ wants them to play, I'm sure Dizzy would love to join in at the HOF, and I bet Ron, Tommy, and the rest of them really don't give a fuck, if anything I'm sure they'd think it'd be cool to see the original band give some closure to the era that defined what GNR is all about.

I am a huge supporter of post 1996 GNR, I in no way want to see harm come to their success and would love to see them gain more popularity (especially in the USA). A short performance at the Hall would bring closure and more joy than hatred to the millions of Guns N' Roses fans across the globe.

Duff has expressed his desire to play, Matt has, Slash has, we all know Steven's dying wish... After all, even Axl has expressed it's for the fans. I'm not even talking about just us on an online forum, but the millions of people that have supported GNR from the 80s to now.

Playing would show they could put their differences aside, even if only for a night, and finish what they started 25+ years ago. GNR were those 5 guys that lived off the streets and relied on one another just to survive. The music reflects that and that era deserves closure.

I think this should be their Pink Floyd moment. One show, 4 songs: Jungle, Sweet Child with the 5 original players and then November Rain with Matt and Dizzy...and finally everyone does Paradise City together, Steven on drums, Matt with a tambourine or whatever...I dunno how long these induction shows should be, but in true Gn'R fashion it'd be different and it'd be perfect!

And once Axl says: good night...everyone goes back to doing what they were doing...this is literally their last chance to revisit history and give the fans a final goodbye, it would mean so much people, I love the new band, but even they would agree that this should be done

that's my 2 cents

I'm so angry with Axl's people...

Really? You realize that it is up to Axl 100%. No one is making him do or not do this. I won't lie and say I don't want to see it, but I am happy either way, as long as they all show up :)

to clarify I mean if Axl's camp said no, then that came from Axl. We don't even know if the whole band is in or not yet, where is Izzy?

Edited by gunsguy

Interesting but as some others have mentioned, doing so would undo everything Axl has been trying to do for years. It is a catch 22 either way.

It's not the fans fault that Axl has only managed to release one album since the Hall of Fame GNR broke up. I don't think there is really anything to undo at this point.

Edited by ITW 2012

I would rather remember old GNR in their prime Argentina 1993/Farm Aid 1990 better to end it in style then one song at the HOF.

Like a wise man has said, it's better to burn out, then to fade away, and I think Argentina '93 could be considered burning out at that point aha

I would rather remember old GNR in their prime Argentina 1993/Farm Aid 1990 better to end it in style then one song at the HOF.

Like a wise man has said, it's better to burn out, then to fade away, and I think Argentina '93 could be considered burning out at that point aha

You don't think Slash and Izzy can live up to the impossibly high standard that DJ Ashba and Ron Thal have set for playing their songs?

Sorry, but Axl has had 20 years to move on, and all he's managed in that time is one album on the back of a decade plus long tour. Getting up on stage for 10 minutes with the Hall of Fame band isn't going to do shit in regards to derailing New GNR's endless Chinese Democracy Tour.

Edited by ITW 2012

It's not the fans fault that Axl has only managed to release one album since the Hall of Fame GNR broke up. I don't think there is really anything to undo at this point.

Yes, I really don't understand this logic...

I think not performing a quick set at the hof would more than likely do Axl more harm than good. Even if it somehow wasn't his fault, or sole decision, he'd still come off as the asshole who denied the fans quite a juicy bone, suffer a lot of public ridicule, and get crucified in the press.

Where as if he just did it, it would just be a temporary inflation to an already existent problem. Sure, the public is aware Slash and co are out of current day "Guns N Roses", but it doesn't mean they're happy with it. The general public is ALWAYS going to want the original/classic incarnation of GNR over what we have today. Axl has never succeeded in gaining the public preference to the nu band. And probably never will. It's just one fucking night. 1-3 songs; 20 minutes tops. The fans end up happy, see Axl in a better light, the reunion gossip goes up for a couple of months, and then Axl continues to do whatever he wants to do with the nu band, Slash and co go back to their projects, and we're back to where we are now. Don't understand why it'd be too hard for Axl to clarify this is as a one night deal. Simple twitter post a few days beforehand would suffice. He, and the rest of the inductees seem to be aware that this is for the fans. Nothing says thank you for the years of support louder than that.

I mean, if the nu band's status is still THAT fragile after 15 years of work, maybe Axl should reevaluate what he's trying to accomplish...

You don't think Slash and Izzy can live up to the impossibly high standard that DJ Ashba and Ron Thal have set for playing their songs?

Sorry, but Axl has had 20 years to move on, and all he's managed in that time is one album on the back of a decade long tour. Getting up on stage for 10 minutes with the Hall of Fame band isn't going to do shit in regards to derailing New GNR's endless Chinese Democracy Tour.

Unfortunately, this.

If Axl wanted to have this band be relevant, he would've released more new material than 14 songs in the last decade. I don't think a one-off performance with the old band will derail anything that Axl is trying to "accomplish." Basically, if he doesn't play, he looks like a douche and the media will be even more against him.

Slash fans know he's releasing a new album and will tour behind it, GN'R are going on tour at the same time Slash will be on tour. They have both been busy with their own career's and neither of them are losing money or are in enough debt to have to reunite. It won't ruin today's Guns N' Roses if Axl was to play with the old band.

Edited by GNR123GNR456