OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, this will be a continuous cycle of "maybe, maybe not" until the night of the event. Realistically speaking they probably won't play but no harm speculating.

Also what I find to be odd/funny is the seemingly lack of communication between Slash and Duff (if one's saying a definite NO while the other is like idk... :shrugs: ). You would think atleast those two would be on the same page! :lol:

I think its more that they dont really care that much at this point. Guns for them seems to be part of their past, a huge defining part of their proffesional lives but a long time ago. Dont forget that these two guys both have kids. I have a young son and I can vouch for the fact that it becomes your all consuming priority and puts everything else into clear perspective.

To put it simply I think its easier for Slash and Duff to see the absurdidty of the situation that happened with GNR in a way that Axl doesnt. Axl seems to take it all a lot more personally.

Axl's popularity is going to take a nose dive that he will never recover from if he doesn't get on that stage with those guys....performance or not.

Well good, because he will go back to being a recluse and continue tinkering on songs, writing new ones and hopefully get back to is 2006 shape both physically and vocally.

He writes best when the world is against him.

Hmmm or he could just hide in his mansion for another 6 months and not return calls from people due to being hurt by internet and media comments...

touche :shocked: lol ! but then again none of us knows what inside his head or what went down for him to do that (remember there may be some other reasons in his life, outside of music but I won't speculate), then again, ahh to be able to not answer folks calls :xmasssanta:

Lol, this will be a continuous cycle of "maybe, maybe not" until the night of the event. Realistically speaking they probably won't play but no harm speculating.

Also what I find to be odd/funny is the seemingly lack of communication between Slash and Duff (if one's saying a definite NO while the other is like idk... :shrugs: ). You would think atleast those two would be on the same page! :lol:

I think its more that they dont really care that much at this point. Guns for them seems to be part of their past, a huge defining part of their proffesional lives but a long time ago. Dont forget that these two guys both have kids. I have a young son and I can vouch for the fact that it becomes your all consuming priority and puts everything else into clear perspective.

To put it simply I think its easier for Slash and Duff to see the absurdidty of the situation that happened with GNR in a way that Axl doesnt. Axl seems to take it all a lot more personally.

Good points. Duff has matured greatly since his time in Guns, he has kids now, changes nappies, has done a degree etc, hates the term 'rock star' etc and is almost 50. He has done well enough in his life that this event is not going to affect him too greatly. Not sure about Slash, that guy is hard to read with all his maybes, ifs, umms, but, sorta, kind, something, I dunnos etc etc.

Edited by Young_Gun

Hey maybe Axl does have a few stashed somewheres lol :rofl-lol: (I hope he knows in that case :confused:)

A comment I saw under this article makes a good point, when did this interview happen? If we're talking a week or two ago then maybe at that time Duff thought they may play together, but now he may think differently. Usually the interviewer mentions when he spoke to the interviewee, this Jed guy didn't. It also doesn't make any sense that the subtitle says Duff "quashes reunion rumors", but Duff himself feeds the fire by saying nobody knows if they will or won't :confused2:

Well either they keeping it a secret or they're not playing together.

I would think if there was a chance the original members were performing they would have to practice together at least once? and another question would be which drummer would play? Steven or Matt? I think it should be Steven, but then again who knows?

I just hope all the original members show up and accept the award and I really hope someone really cool inducts them.

But even Axl doesn't seem all that bothered (about the ceremony). The point I was making is that Slash and Duff are still good friends right? You would think at least they might have had a short conversation about it and at least be on the same page!

Seriously, WTF? They've been on the same page (media wise anyway) since guns, perhaps even before that! Why not now? The point that I was trying to raise was not a "do they care" but more of a "why are their responses volly-balling all over the place?".

A comment I saw under this article makes a good point, when did this interview happen? If we're talking a week or two ago then maybe at that time Duff thought they may play together, but now he may think differently. Usually the interviewer mentions when he spoke to the interviewee, this Jed guy didn't. It also doesn't make any sense that the subtitle says Duff "quashes reunion rumors", but Duff himself feeds the fire by saying nobody knows if they will or won't :confused2:

Thats a good point, maybe its just an old interview.

Edited by KiraMPD

there is no point in clinging to any hope. We have heard sources from Axls side and slash himself that they are not. GNR has been a messy business for years, and pretty much everything since 96 would be pointless in what GNR has done if they reunited for one night.

Just let it go, don't live in the past, if you want to see slash and axl together, then there loads of bootlegs out there.

I just thought getting them to sit at the same table is ground breaking, they don't need to play their instruments to make the night any more memorable.

I think its more that they dont really care that much at this point. Guns for them seems to be part of their past, a huge defining part of their proffesional lives but a long time ago.

I agree that a HOF performance is probably not all that important to Slash, Axl, Duff or Izzy. None of them are broke, none of them are craving publicity, none of them are particularly sentimental. But they all know that 99% of the fans they have today follow them because they are fans of 1980's/1990's GNR. And except for the small minority who think that a HOF performance would somehow destroy present day GNR & Loaded & Slash's solo career, fans of classic GNR would give anything to see their guys play one final set together before parting ways forever.

Duff and Axl have both acknowledged they are aware of how much a one night reunion would mean to the fans, and they have both expressed a willingness to participate. There is absolutely no reason - NONE - for any of them to not give the fans what they want. Even if there is still friction between any of them, they don't even have to talk to each other. They can have their managers agree beforehand on which two or three songs they will perform, they perform the songs without saying a word to each other, and when they are done playing they leave the stage in separate directions. If any of them refuse to participate, they should be revealed so they can be appropriately labeled as extremely selfish, self centered, egotistical, and they simply don't give a fuck about their current fans.

Until the induction ceremony has ended, I will believe there's a possibility of a performance. None of them is required to announce beforehand whether or not it will happen. If they surprise us and it happens, it will go down as a tremendous moment we will never forget and they are assured to leave a lasting positive legacy. If it doesn't happen, the disappointment will linger with most fans for an eternity.

I think its more that they dont really care that much at this point. Guns for them seems to be part of their past, a huge defining part of their proffesional lives but a long time ago.

I agree that a HOF performance is probably not all that important to Slash, Axl, Duff or Izzy. None of them are broke, none of them are craving publicity, none of them are particularly sentimental. But they all know that 99% of the fans they have today follow them because they are fans of 1980's/1990's GNR. And except for the small minority who think that a HOF performance would somehow destroy present day GNR & Loaded & Slash's solo career, fans of classic GNR would give anything to see their guys play one final set together before parting ways forever.

Duff and Axl have both acknowledged they are aware of how much a one night reunion would mean to the fans, and they have both expressed a willingness to participate. There is absolutely no reason - NONE - for any of them to not give the fans what they want. Even if there is still friction between any of them, they don't even have to talk to each other. They can have their managers agree beforehand on which two or three songs they will perform, they perform the songs without saying a word to each other, and when they are done playing they leave the stage in separate directions. If any of them refuse to participate, they should be revealed so they can be appropriately labeled as extremely selfish, self centered, egotistical, and they simply don't give a fuck about their current fans.

Until the induction ceremony has ended, I will believe there's a possibility of a performance. None of them is required to announce beforehand whether or not it will happen. If they surprise us and it happens, it will go down as a tremendous moment we will never forget and they are assured to leave a lasting positive legacy. If it doesn't happen, the disappointment will linger with most fans for an eternity.

I agree 100% with every word of that.

Spunko -

Do you have any qualifications you can point to that we can consider when deciding whether or not you know what the band SHOULD do?

Is it not really what you would LIKE for them to do?

Duff and Axl have both acknowledged they are aware of how much a one night reunion would mean to the fans, and they have both expressed a willingness to participate.

MSL...do you have any qualifications that we can consider when deciding whether or not you're full of shit with all of your predictions and confiscated information?

Spunko -

Do you have any qualifications you can point to that we can consider when deciding whether or not you know what the band SHOULD do?

Is it not really what you would LIKE for them to do?

Duff and Axl have both acknowledged they are aware of how much a one night reunion would mean to the fans, and they have both expressed a willingness to participate.

Out of curiosity, can you let us know what you're referring to when you say that Axl has expressed a willingness to participate in a one night reunion?

Is there an ignore function on this board? Please stop responding to me. I promise you I will not reply to any of your comments from now on if you will do me the same courtesy. I dont want to argue with you, debate with you, or engage you in any way whatsoever. We will never agree because I find you to be an irritating fuckwit. Im not insulting you its just how I percieve you to be and your free to see me in any way you want. But please just leave me alone.

Just to pre-empt I am aware that its a free public forum for you to be able to respond to whoever you want but I dislike you to such an extent that you are free to say whatever you like about me and I will promise to ignore you If you do the same. Thanks

Out of curiosity, can you let us know what you're referring to when you say that Axl has expressed a willingness to participate in a one night reunion?

This interview from three months ago. I'm sure there will be some who interpret it differently, but it seems to me Axl is clearly saying he doesn't want the induction to be negatively impacted by "gripes against his former bandmates". He's also saying "it usually backfires on whoever does it", which means if one person prevents something special from happening that night because of a gripe then that person will have to deal with a ton of negative publicity and their reputation will take a significant hit. I don't think his final sentence requires interpretation, he doesn't want to be the bad guy.

http://www.gibson.co...Rose-1221-2011/

Rose says he doesn’t want to turn the original band’s Hall of Fame induction into a forum for his gripes against his former bandmates. Axl says, “People don’t want that associated with their awards shows, even if you have a big audience. In one way it might be right, but it usually backfires on whoever does it. So I really don’t want to spoil it for everybody else – or take the beating.”

TLO .....but that is what Axl is doing by not playing.

In the overall scheme of things, this shouldn't be that major of a deal. Axl has made up with Izzy and Duff. All the other guys appear to be buddies. Playing on stage for a couple songs is literally 10-15 minutes of Axl's life, and it would be a HUGE treat for millions of the people that have supported Axls career for 25 years.

A reunion doesn't interest me. I love the current band.

And I am speaking as a fan, and this is only my opinion (caveat before msl or any of the worshippers attack me). It is axls life and career and he can do whatever he wants.

But man, he could give millions of his supporters a huge treat and suck it up for a couple songs. Doesn't mean he has to become bffs with Slash or even talk to him. Fifteen minutes of work could give himself and the band a mountain of positive press and good will.

They should play this. Its the obvious one and this video shows is a band operating perfectly. If this song is too boring then maybe its time to look beyond GNR.

No. If they play a song (big if), I really hope they do a song where Axl can showcase his rasp. If anything from AFD, then I think Jungle would be the best. He puts lots of rasp into Jungle, and it's the song that made Guns's career, practically.

If Axl does sing it with rasp, though, I'm all on board. :thumbsup:

I don't interpret his quote to the LA Times to mean he would reunite at all. That is basically taking his statement completely out of context and ignoring everything else he said in that interview. He just doesn't want to do what Michael Moore or Marlon Brando have done during their respective award ceremony moments.

Ali

I personally do not interpret that statement to mean that he would participate in a one night reunion, but if you do, that is fine with me. It would seem to me though that Axl was simply saying he would not use that forum to air any grievances with Slash or others and would be a good sport by showing up, not bad talking anyone, and accept the honor.

Reuniting with the Appetite and/or Illusions lineups for a one time performance is something entirely different and I do not think Axl would do that and don't think in that statement he was trying to convey that he would consider participating in a reunion performance.

I can see how his statement could be interpreted as such, but why wouldn't his desire to not be the bad guy and not want gripes to impact the induction apply to both appearing and performing? If by chance Slash, Izzy, Steven and Duff all want to perform what possible reason could Axl have to refuse, other than to hold a grudge?

Let's face it, if Axl is the only one who doesn't show up OR if he is the only one who refuses to perform then he most definitely would be turning the induction into a forum for his gripes and he most definitely would be spoiling it for everybody else and he would most definitely take a beating for it.

MSL

If it's taken 10 years to get the casual fans (which I'm assuming you are referring to) to realize that Slash is not in the band, why recruit a very mildly talented guitarist to replace him who takes the stage wearing flannel shirts, a top hat? These casual fans obviously are going to do double takes to make sure it isn't slash.

edit: oops, forgot to elaborate on this part.

The reason for this is debatable, and in my opinion, it's Axl way of trying to appease the 'casual fan', realizing that Slash's look means more to the GNR image than he thought. This is just my opinion though. And I wouldn't be surprised if Axl even told DJ this before he joined the band.

One night with the old band would not "undue years of progress" as you put it. And even if it did...it's what the fans want. This whole thing about not doing it to undue progress, offend the new band, etc. is all irrelevant and really a testament to how malleable peoples minds are. I like this new band, sure...it's the closest thing I can get to the real GNR. But a chance to see the original band perform? That one night would trump every live performance done since 1993. This board is the only place where people are so....weird.

Edited by DrBrownstone

If by chance Slash, Izzy, Steven and Duff all want to perform what possible reason could Axl have to refuse, other than to hold a grudge?

One reason he could have to refuse would be that he's worked tirelessly for over a decade to rebuild Guns N' Roses and he could possibly undue years of progress in one night by reuniting with an old lineup on national television. It's taken years and years of touring for Guns N' Roses to finally get to the point where you don't have a huge portion of the audience expecting to see Slash on stage. Axl has fought to keep a clear distinction between who is in Guns N' Roses and who isn't. I'm sure that's part of why it was so important that Slash not be used in connection with Welcome to the Jungle in the Guitar Hero game.

But not only has he had to fight to establish the current band's identity, I'm sure it's been very difficult trying to get anything done when various business interests are ALWAYS going to be completely fixated on the idea of a reunion. I believe Axl has made public reference to this and we know from information that is public in regards to Azoff that attempts to force a reunion have occurred.

So maybe it's put Axl in a situation where it's difficult to make progress with the current band if people are constantly attempting to undermine the project in favor of a reunion. Axl may feel like showing even an ounce of budge on the issue of a reunion (even if it's for one night), could be extremely counter productive to his future plans as well as the work that's been put in to getting GNR to the point it's at now (where it's able to successfully tour the world even without Izzy, Duff and Slash).

This is largely speculation on my part, but you asked for a posible reason other than to hold a grudge, and this is certainly one possible reason (and there are several).

But you would hopefully think that Axl (and some members of this board) knows in his heart of hearts that this incarnation of Guns is his solo project. It's not the same band. He's said that Guns N' Roses is his solo project, meaning it was his all along, which is a fine way to explain how things went down to himself. But the fact of the matter is, the group being inducted is what will go down in history as Guns N' Roses. Why not throw fans a bone and go play with his old friends? Maybe people may start to think that he might be a nice guy, and check out his new music.

Though that isn't to say Axl is why they won't play. If they don't it likely will be blamed on him, but with how Slash has been acting about it I'd be more inclined to think it was him. Axl always has a chip on his shoulder, people doubt if he still has it. Wouldn't the Rock Hall be a great time to prove them wrong? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what you said, but I'm hoping Axl (and Slash) can see past all of that and see an opportunity to make rock history.

Edited by tuyfuvk17

kind of does undermine the current line up and if there's no problem why don't they do a reunion tour and album and take 150 mil or whatever it is. playing and saying there's no hard feelings but that was the past this is now. things gone change. that could be a way to defuse the bomb, but also kills the hype of a potential reunion which might be too final.

Edited by wasted