House Of Blues, West Hollywood, Califórnia, USA

Hatchepsut

Way to end the UCAP tour on a high note! :thumbsup:

I would never have dreamed they even had any plans for Robin and Brain being there or Dead Flowers and Mama Kin ever being played again. They definitely kept those surprises under wraps, no hints on GN'R Twitter or anything and thus you get the maximum effect. Those fans who were there must have had one HELL of an experience - lots of freak out moments for one show!

Just out of curiosity, not being sarcastic, honestly wanting your true opinion.

What would you prefer, if you were at this show or at any show in 2012...........the band breaks out two cover songs that the old band played 20 years ago, or would you prefer two new unreleased songs?

If it was totally up to you - which two would you pick? Keeping all the other covers in the set-list (riff raff, rosie, LALD, Heaven's Door) and just picking between two new songs and the two 20-year-old covers from last night?

I'd prefer new songs of course but there's no reason not to enjoy the old covers either. The problem with playing new songs though is that they did it with Chinese Democracy and now people claim that they've been touring CD since 2001.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love people's mind. They were talking about Ashba's "chemistey" with Axl om stage, but tell me if there wasnt any between Axl and Robin on Better in this video.

Also, again, didnt see anyone backing up their claims of people twisting sides about Robin. But I can speak for myself: since day one, when he was announced, Ive never liked Ashba. And yes, you can judge him by his solo stuff and live performances - I did with Robin, why not with Ashba?

Robin is sloppy as hell, he made mistakes throughout the whole intro. The only thing that sounded right was the solo.

He was clearly looking to Frank, waiting for his cue. Probably because they couldnt follow the metronome and drum machine like always because Robin's ear piece didnt have it on the mix, hence why the song was played in a slighlty faster tempo.

Robin just does what comes natural to him, none of this pre conceived stage antics bullshit that you get with dj, not to mention that robin nailed better, "better" than dj ever has or will ever.

Better's his baby so it's not surprising.

Gotta bring back Robin to play the material from CD, bring back Slash to play the songs from UYI, GN'R Lies and AFD, bring back them all to play their respective parts the way they should be played.

IMHO, Robin's guest presence was way more natural than when Duff joined. Of course, Robin actually played with all of them not so long ago, but still..

If he can't come back, at least leave his parts alone on the next album if it ever gets released. And, for Gods sake, release a fucking solo album already!

Cool to see Robin playing his song again.

But he fails on the intro just as much as DJ. Solo sounded great tho.

No, he didn't fail. I won't even bring this back again, already answered in another thread.

Robin Finck supporters are coming out of the wood work. My favorite GNR lineup EVER is the CURRENT lineup. I am fortunate I guess, because I doubt Axl has any plans of going backwards. Wait until Axl utilizes DJ's studio production, it will be a mixture of Appetite and Chinese and it will be eipc. rock3

Back in 2007, when I joined here:

- Robin is sloppy;

- Robin can't play SCOM;

- Robin is weird;

- Robin this;

- Robin that.

2009, after the Taiwan show:

- DJ is great;

- DJ brings a new vibe to this band;

- DJ doesn't fuck with the old songs;

- Now this really looks like a band, not a freak-show;

2012, today:

- DJ sucks;

- DJ is a Slash wanna-be;

- DJ can't play TIL;

- DJ keeps talking about his trademarks;

- Robin is amazing;

- Robin has feeling;

- Bring back Robin;

- Robin is Gn'R.

Wtf ? :confused:

Dude, you couldn't be more accurate. IMO, Robin was good but DJ is better. I really look forward to what he can bring to the table. Plus, he's got a lot more stage presence.

The thing is: you can have as many guitar player as you want. Of course, just Richard and Ron alone could play all Slash's solos with easy. Its quite obvious how Axl's intention was to have a fuller sound live. He first admited he wasn't expecting to have three guitar players on stage, but when Robin came back from NIN in 2000, he didn't want to get rid of Bucket and Paul. But he still wanted to have this three-guitar approach once Paul left and once again when Bucket left, so it is just a different thing and fits into the sound on his head.

maybe Axl got enough from Bucket. and Bucket is too creative to be on a never-ending tour of the world. Shackler's, Scraped, Sorry, TWAT are great, hopefully there's more Bucket on CD II.

I doubt Axl wanted him to leave, but I doubt he wants him back unless there's some unfinished recording. He left by choice, and I don't remember if his bailing resulted in cancelled gigs, but if it did, I doubt we'll see him do anything more than a guest appearance, and more likely as a studio musician. Same thing with Izzy - he could wind up writing new songs with the guys, but outside of a guest appearance, isn't interested in making the commitment. I think Duff is the only one who could go back into GnR where the CD songs wouldn't be an issue for him, but it would have to be where Tommy was thinking about leaving... and wouldn't be all that shocked.

Ok I will :-)

Personally I don't believe in, Fincks better than Dj, Dj's better than slash, Jesus is better than Pope, my mums better than dad, just shut the fuck up.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference, what really makes an amazing musician in your eyes?

It's not about what they play, it's how they play it, it's feel, everyone likes what they like, but just because you prefer a certain guitar player over another or a certain piano player over another does not mean that the one you like is a much better musician. I love piano music, but I'd much rather listen to Dax Johnson over Mozart, So who's better. Neither, I just prefer Dax, some will prefer Mozart. Fine!

Ok I will :-)

Personally I don't believe in, Fincks better than Dj, Dj's better than slash, Jesus is better than Pope, my mums better than dad, just shut the fuck up.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference, what really makes an amazing musician in your eyes?

It's not about what they play, it's how they play it, it's feel, everyone likes what they like, but just because you prefer a certain guitar player over another or a certain piano player over another does not mean that the one you like is a much better musician. I love piano music, but I'd much rather listen to Dax Johnson over Mozart, So who's better. Neither, I just prefer Dax, some will prefer Mozart. Fine!

Thanks bro!

My take on this situation is this, back in 2002 I thought that Robin not only screwed up the old songs but looked like he belonged to NIN (no shit right?). Come 2006 he had a better look, and his playing was much better, but he was still pretty sloppy. Then he left and DJ came aboard. Not only can he play the songs, he looks the fucking part as well.

DJ's pieces of music during the solo part of the shows are 10 times better than the horrible noises Robin ever made. That shit was embarrassing. In a whole this band gels better together, and they look happy. The only good thing to come from Robin are the songs he had a hand in writing. Those live performances were terribly though.

My take on this situation is this, back in 2002 I thought that Robin not only screwed up the old songs but looked like he belonged to NIN (no shit right?). Come 2006 he had a better look, and his playing was much better, but he was still pretty sloppy. Then he left and DJ came aboard. Not only can he play the songs, he looks the fucking part as well.

DJ's pieces of music during the solo part of the shows are 10 times better than the horrible noises Robin ever made. That shit was embarrassing. In a whole this band gels better together, and they look happy. The only good thing to come from Robin are the songs he had a hand in writing. Those live performances were terribly though.

That's for sure. WTF were the Robin solos? :crazy:

Dj's presence lifted the band's spirit A LOT. That's a fact. They're having a lot more fun on and off stage with DJ, plus, we know DJ's got expectations with this band. He's looking forward to write with Axl, and we know that's a fact. I look forward to it.

Axl set the bar really high with the 2002/CD lineup.

The problem with that lineup was that the band wasnt ready to take off (for whatever reason/s).

Finck and Bucket have more talent and uniquness in there left nut than DJ can ever dream of.

Gnr Fans are retarded. They bashed the old lineup for looking like freaks and RObin butchering the old stuff. Robin could play the old stuff note for note if he wanted to. Instead, he put his spin on the old material. WHich should have been more appreciated. And if you want to hear the old stuff note fro note dont complain about how you feel this is a nostagia act!

That lineup didnt play the old stuff or even the new stuff note for note night in night out. They were much like old gnr in the sense that they were much more unpredictable and obviously didnt give a fuck (including Axl)

Name me one memorable Bfoot solo from a show (old or new song) that resonates with the majority of the hardcore fan base.

Great guy, great player...but just doesnt fit with GNR.

I have seen the current version 4x. 3 of the 4 were simply amazing shows. They are a well oiled machine. Too professional if that makes sense. I am personally content with this lineup but if I ruch mather see the 2002 lineup tour with this mgmt and consistency. We all know what they can do in the studio already so thats not an issue.

Bfoot is ok. People latched on because he offered many crumbs when it was a famine. DJ is ok as well. COol vibe but its ironic that Axl is hanging from his nuts when in reality DJ is a mini SLash. Franks ok but Brain is better.

It doesnt really matter. Things are always whacky in GNr land. At this point who cares. Just enjoy Axl and whichever lineup works for you

Edited by youngunner