Top 40 Money Makers

gnr2012

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't expect a theatre tour to compete with these....

The last arena tour of the US, in late 2011, came high on these lists....

This is the 2011 list... GN'R didn't make it into it in spite of the 2011 USA arena tour.

Edited by gnr2012

I wouldn't expect a theatre tour to compete with these....

The last arena tour of the US, in late 2011, came high on these lists....

This is the 2011 list... GN'R didn't make it into it in spite of the 2011 USA arena tour.

Oh, I am surprised. I remember they figured on some lists during that tour.

With "not so long ago" you are thinking about the 1990s? ;)

Most of the bands who were big in the 1990's are still big now (rhcp, metallica, u2, aerosmith, ac/dc, etc, etc)

I would even say that the older the band is, the more successful it is : just check out which bands are headlining the main festivals...

So yeah, I agree with axlfan88, it's bad (and sad) to see that GNR isn't able to be among the top 40 money makers.

lol guys there are a lot of variables to these rankings like how many shows took place in that year and how big they were....and are they only counting USA shows? did u guys forget GNR headlined Rock in Rio the biggest show on earth for a third time in a row? and all this is from a band that essentially is a recluse by todays standards thats kinda crazy when u think about it imagine if they actually did things right...

Most of the bands who were big in the 1990's are still big now (rhcp, metallica, u2, aerosmith, ac/dc, etc, etc)

I would even say that the older the band is, the more successful it is : just check out which bands are headlining the main festivals...

So yeah, I agree with axlfan88, it's bad (and sad) to see that GNR isn't able to be among the top 40 money makers.

Eh, no, most artists big in the 1990s are not active and/or popular today. In fact, just to still exist after so many years is a feat in itself.

Just check the Billboard list for 1992 as an example:

1. End Of The Road - Boyz II Men

2. Baby Got Back - Sir Mix A-lot

3. Jump - Kris Kross

4. Save The Best For Last - Vanessa Williams

5. Baby-Baby-Baby - TLC

6. Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton

7. My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) - En Vogue

8. Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

9. All 4 Love - Color Me Badd

10. Just Another Day - Jon Secada

11. I Love Your Smile - Shanice

12. To Be With You - Mr. Big

13. I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred

14. Black Or White - Michael Jackson

15. Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus

16. I'll Be There - Mariah Carey

17. November Rain - Guns N' Roses

18. Life Is A Highway - Tom Cochrane

19. Remember The Time - Michael Jackson

20. Finally - CeCe Peniston

21. This Used To Be My Playground - Madonna

22. Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough - Patty Smyth

23. Can't Let Go - Mariah Carey

24. Jump Around - House Of Pain

25. Diamonds And Pearls - Prince & The N.P.G.

26. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael & Elton John

27. Masterpiece - Atlantic Starr

28. If You Asked Me To - Celine Dion

29. Giving Him Something He Can Feel - En Vogue

30. Live And Learn - Joe Public

31. Come & Talk To Me - Jodeci

32. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

33. Humpin' Around - Bobby Brown

34. Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover - Sophie B. Hawkins

35. Tell Me What You Want Me To Do - Teven Campbell

36. Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg - TLC

37. It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday - Boyz II Men

38. Move This - Technotronic

39. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

40. Tennessee - Arrested Development

41. The Best Things In Life Are Free - Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson

42. Make It Happen - Mariah Carey

43. The One - Elton John

44. Set Adrift On Memory Bliss - P.M. Dawn

45. Stay - Shakespear's Sister

46. 2 Legit 2 Quit - Hammer

47. Please Don't Go - K.W.S.

48. Breakin' My Heart (Pretty Brown Eyes) - Mint Condition

49. Wishing On A Star - Cover Girls

50. She's Playing Hard To Get - Hi-Five

51. I'd Die Without You - P.M. Dawn

52. Good For Me - Amy Grant

53. All I Want - Toad The Wet Sprocket

54. When A Man Loves A Woman - Michael Bolton

55. I Can't Dance - Genesis

56. Hazard - Richard Marx

57. Mysterious Ways - U2

58. Too Funky - George Michael

59. How Do You Talk To An Angel - Heights

60. One - U2

61. Keep On Walkin' - CeCe Peniston

62. Hold On My Heart - Genesis

63. The Way I Feel About You - Karyn White

64. Beauty And The Beast - Calms Dion And Peabo Bryson

65. Warm It Up - Kris Kross

66. In The Closet - Michael Jackson

67. People Everyday - Arrested Development

68. No Son Of Nine - Genesis

69. Wildside - Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch

70. Do I Have To Say The Words? - Bryan Adams

71. Friday I'm In Love - Cure

72. Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe

73. Blowing Kisses In The Wind - Paula Abdul

74. Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven - Bryan Adams

75. Rhythm Is A Dancer - Snap

76. Addams Groove - Hammer

77. Missing You Now - Michael Bolton

78. Back To The Hotel - N2Deep

79. Everything Changes - Kathy Troccoli

80. Have You Ever Needed Somone So Bad - Def Leppard

81. Take This Heart - Richard Marx

82. When I Look Into Your Eyes - Firehouse

83. I Wanna Love You - Jade

84. Uhh Ahh - Boyz II Men

85. Real Love - Mary J. Blige

86. Justified And Ancient - The KLF

87. Slow Motion - Color Me Badd

88. What About Your Friends - TLC

89. Thinkin' Back - Color Me Badd

90. Would I Lie To You? - Charles & Eddie

91. That's What Love Is For - Amy Grant

92. Keep Coming Back - Richard Marx

93. Free Your Mind - En Vogue

94. Keep It Comin' - Keith Sweat

95. Just Take My Heart - Mr. Big

96. I Will Remember You - Amy Grant

97. We Got A Love Thang - CeCe Peniston

98. Let's Get Rocked - Def Leppard

99. They Want EFX - Das EFX

100. I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt

Source: http://www.cylist.com/List/400300065/

Wow, that's really bad for a band that used to be on the top of the world not so long ago.

It actually was a long time ago, nearly 20 years since the top of the world status.

Wow, that's really bad for a band that used to be on the top of the world not so long ago.

It actually was a long time ago, nearly 20 years since the top of the world status.

Also it isn't even close to being the same band.

With "not so long ago" you are thinking about the 1990s? ;)

Yeah, but bands like U2, Aerosmith, and AC/DC still have all the same members from 20 years ago.

One of the reasons many people don't even like today's Guns N' Roses is because Slash isn't in it.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

God bless Bon Jovi. They survived the '80s hair band stuff to be relevant today in terms of concert sales. Wow.

I am shocked Journey is so high, by the way. I've seen 'em a couple times on joint bills or whatever, yet they made more money in show sales than people like Kanye West in 2011?

Edited by GnR Chris

Love them or hate them, Bon Jovi has given their fans what they want for the past 20 years.

Journey is still a cool band, even without the great Steve Perry.

They are always labeled as a soft ballads band, but they have great guitar players and even their ballads tend to have cool guitar work.

The last Sopranos episode really gave Dont Stop Believing a huge new life amongst younger fans.

Don't want to defend or so. But I call it Bullshit

- Motley Crue is on the list and their tours and arenas are not as big as GN'R. Especially taking into consideration SA leg of a tour. And MC not even toured so much in 2011.

ty this link: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/record-labels/news/news/top-40-money-makers-2012-1006415552.story

Don't want to defend or so. But I call it Bullshit

- Motley Crue is on the list and their tours and arenas are not as big as GN'R. Especially taking into consideration SA leg of a tour. And MC not even toured so much in 2011.

How The Money Makers List Was Formulated: Billboard editors used proprietary data from the Boxscore archives for U.S. concert grosses. We used Nielsen SoundScan for sales of physical and digital albums, digital tracks and ringtone sales. Data from Nielsen BDS provided information on terrestrial radio airplay, tethered music downloads, on-demand music streams and noninteractive streaming at Myspace, Cricket Wireless (Muve), Rhapsody, Yahoo, Spotify, Slacker, Rdio, MediaNet (MOG) and Guvera. Also included in our calculations were Vevo video plays, Warner Music official video plays on YouTube (Warner clips aren't available on Vevo) and video plays on request service Akoo.

We then applied corresponding mechanical rates and estimates to each of these categories. In calculating an artist's share of revenue from recorded-music sales, we assumed a royalty rate of 20%, minus producer fees. Artists received 100% credit for the sale of a title or concert Boxscore if credited as the lead artist, and 50% credit if sharing equal billing with another act. We credited each artist with 34% of gross tour receipts; i.e., what's typically left after the promoter's fee, the artist manager's fee and other costs are subtracted.

CD mechanical royalties for artist/songwriters were calculated by assuming standard royalty rates. For digital album and track downloads, we used current statutory rates, assuming 12 tracks per album. We also subtracted a 10% manager's fee for each revenue category.

An artist's take of revenue from on-demand streams was calculated based on the average wholesale rate paid to labels. Revenue from noninteractive streams was based on SoundExchange's rate settlement with webcasters. An artist's share of revenue from tethered downloads was calculated on the number of plays. If the artist is also a songwriter, Billboard estimated the share of songs written by that artist. But digital revenue accounted for only a fraction of the overall hauls by most artists. In 2011, there was no contest: Touring was by far the largest income generator for most every superstar artist-and it will remain so into the foreseeable future.

Data used in this report was compiled and calculated by Billboard senior correspondent Ed Christman, director of charts Silvio Pietroluongo, chart/research manager Gordon Murray, senior editorial analyst Glenn Peoples and Boxscore chart manager Bob Allen, with assistance from Deborah Schwartz, Adam Foster and Dale Brown of Nielsen Entertainment.

source: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/record-labels/news/news/top-40-money-makers-2012-1006415552.story

Love them or hate them, Bon Jovi has given their fans what they want for the past 20 years

Im not into lame ballads and pop rockers, sorry. Thats what they've been doing since the 90's. Probably the same reason as to why they werent inducted to RNRHOF - they sold their souls to Jonas Brothers and The All American Reject fans and lost respect from media and musicians. Its no wonder why even Bon Jovi fans hate some of their last albums. They suck musically. I cant even listen to their lastest album because it's the worst album I've ever heard. So yea, that's not for me and Im glad Axl didnt turn Guns into a Bon Jovi - they would not be inducted to the HOF if he did imo.

Love them or hate them, Bon Jovi has given their fans what they want for the past 20 years

Im not into lame ballads and pop rockers, sorry. Thats what they've been doing since the 90's. Probably the same reason as to why they werent inducted to RNRHOF - they sold their souls to Jonas Brothers and The All American Reject fans and lost respect from media and musicians. Its no wonder why even Bon Jovi fans hate some of their last albums. They suck musically. I cant even listen to their lastest album because it's the worst album I've ever heard. So yea, that's not for me and Im glad Axl didnt turn Guns into a Bon Jovi - they would not be inducted to the HOF if he did imo.

Bon Jovi just makes the same generic crap because that is what sells. Anyone can write a ballad with lyrics that supposedly touches people. A ballad is the best way to get a hit. Just like Nickelback writing songs that appeals to the masses. It's about selling out stadiums and mp3 files. Axl is all about quality. Even if the record takes years,he is not going to release it until he feels it's ready.

Bon Jovi just makes the same generic crap because that is what sells. Anyone can write a ballad with lyrics that supposedly touches people. A ballad is the best way to get a hit. Just like Nickelback writing songs that appeals to the masses. It's about selling out stadiums and mp3 files. Axl is all about quality. Even if the record takes years,he is not going to release it until he feels it's ready.

IF you don´t like Bon Jovi´s music it´s ok but it doesn´t mean it is crap.

And, who cares whether GNR make that list? I´m not going to like them more because they make that list or because they appear on certain media. It´s no secret that Axl is in this for the music and not for the money. And yes, money is important but not the main goal.

Good for you!

Bon Jovi doesnt make music for you, they make it for their fans.

I bet the majority of Bon Jovi fans feel the same way about Chinese democracy.

It is fine that his music apparently offends you so much. A little weird, but whatever. They sell more albums, win more music industry awards, and more people go to their concerts than fans go to GnR shows.....so u may hate them, but more people like and respect them than GnR.

Odd though, I've never heard one person ever say that they wished that GnR put out the same type of music that BJ does? Have you?

Me personally? I would love if Axl put out as much music as Bon Jovi did. I have faith that my favorite singer could put out a quality album every 3 years. Maybe you don't have that same faith in his song writing and music creating ability.

At the end of the day, Bon jovi gives their fans what they want. Which is consistent music. Axl does what he wants.

Imagine a world where Axl had released three albums, a live album, and a dvd since 2000. You would prefer 1 album instead?