DJ ASHBA TALKS JOINING GUNS N’ ROSES, GETTING INVOLVED WITH BAND’S NEW ALBUM

saades

DJ Ashba has been rocking the six-string with Guns N’ Roses ever since he replaced Robin Finck in 2009. While some GN’R fans weren’t exactly welcoming when it came to a new band member joining their favorite group, in a new interview with Rock Over America , DJ Ashba explained that he got past that quickly, and now, the fans and press are welcoming him with open arms and ears.

Ashba-IanHitchcock-Getty-Images.jpg

“It was just surreal. It was a lot of stress, because I have Sixx:A.M., too. I didn’t realize at the time just how hardcore the Guns fans are,” he said via Blabbermouth . “I was a fan — I am a fan — but you have to win their respect. And stepping in the shoes of somebody like Slash, I just didn’t realize how tough it was going to be as far as winning people over. But at the same time, it makes you a real strong person, and it also was a huge challenge that I was definitely up for.”

“Up until [i joined the band], I had never read a negative thing on me in the press and stuff, and when I first joined [Guns N’ Roses], I got a couple of playing to some middle fingers and some hardcore fans, and I wasn’t used to that. And then once I think people kind of did their homework and realized, ‘Oh, this guy’s been around for a bit,’ slowly I started winning people over and I hope to continue to do so. But the guys [in the band] were really supportive and kept my chin up.”

Ashba also dropped the good news that he hopes to be very involved with the writing process on Guns N’ Roses’ upcoming studio album.

“I don’t get involved with any project unless I honestly feel, as a songwriter and producer, I can bring something solid to the table,” he said. “And with Guns, I really feel like, outside of playing guitar for them, I’m really excited to get in there and collaborate with this band because Axl has put together one of the most amazing bands; I mean, the musicianship in this band is unbelievable. It’s an honor — it’s a huge honor — and I’m just trying to do the gig justice by trying to stay as true to the original vision as I possibly can.”

“Coming into this, I wasn’t coming in just to play guitar; I’m coming in as a songwriter. Obviously, I’m a producer [as well]. I’m not saying I’m gonna produce a Guns record or whatever… But I’m really excited about the future, because the sky’s the limit. And I know my goal is the same as Axl’s [Rose, vocals], and everyone else’s in the band, [which is] to put together what we all feel ultimately would be the next best Guns N’ Roses record. So that, to me, is really exciting, and I’m always up for a huge challenge. So that’s what gets me going.”

My link

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ has been giving that exact same interview for the last two years...

Either do it or stop talking about it already.

I've said before that I think DJ's trying to get Axl's attention with all these repetitive-ass interviews. We get it DJ. You're a songwriter/producer and you didn't join Guns just to be a session player. Awesome. Pick up the phone and tell him that, cuz we're all getting fucking bored with this non-stop nonsense about how you've been writing the next GNR album, which we've been hearing since 2009. :rolleyes:

More Finck/Bucket tracks please!

Edited by sofine11

I stopped reading after Sixx A.M.

Sixx A.M. gets more radio play than Chinese. Just putting that out there.

Don't point that out, or you will be labeled a hater and a cupcake and people will start holding a grudge against you in every topic for years.

It is amazing that people criticize him for mentioning where he came from. What the heck do people want him to say? He is answering interview questions about his past and his career.

People in this forum are ridiculous with their constant negativety.

Edited by Groghan

Don't point that out, or you will be labeled a hater and a cupcake and people will start holding a grudge against you in every topic for years.

It is amazing that people criticize him for mentioning where he came from. What the heck do people want him to say? He is answering interview questions about his past and his career.

Definitely not a hater. It's just true. Sixx A.m. gets more radio play than CD, and probably just as much, if not more, than Guns all together on a modern day radio station.

If Sixx A.m. toured as much as Guns, I think DJ would be more successful and popular than he is now, because that type of music is what's "in".

Must be frustrating... it's the only thing he's allowed to say. I'm sure that in every interview, the interviewer will try to go deeper on the next album issue and DJ probably will have to avoid answering because Axl told him do to so.

It's not like he doesn't want to talk about his songs and recording status. He just can't because the boss doesn't want that. Same thing with Dizzy saying all the same crap, also Tommy, Bumble etc... They CAN'T speak about it.

I'm not a fan of DJ, but in this case, he's not guilty. I'm sure if it was up to him, they would be recording right now (with his production, of course) but, at least, working on a new album. However, I'm not sorry for the guys, Uncle Axl must pay them some huge cash. I would do the same thing.

After thinking about it, these repeat parrot-esque responses from DJ about the next album are not entirely his fault. He really can't say much more that "I can't wait, blah blah blah." He wasn't involved in the CD sessions, so getting that music out isn't as huge for him as it may be for the others, not to mention the fans.

And in the end, Axl's the one who was grouchy and tight-lipped about the next album the last time he spoke about it during the Del interview, and ultimately his plans are the only ones that matter.

As much as I hate to say this, I actually agree with you.

Must be frustrating... it's the only thing he's allowed to say. I'm sure that in every interview, the interviewer will try to go deeper on the next album issue and DJ probably will have to avoid answering because Axl told him do to so.

It's not like he doesn't want to talk about his songs and recording status. He just can't because the boss doesn't want that. Same thing with Dizzy saying all the same crap, also Tommy, Bumble etc... They CAN'T speak about it.

I'm not a fan of DJ, but in this case, he's not guilty. I'm sure if it was up to him, they would be recording right now (with his production, of course) but, at least, working on a new album. However, I'm not sorry for the guys, Uncle Axl must pay them some huge cash. I would do the same thing.

yes.