New music

laffy

It is annoying when people think the current lineup isn't capable of releasing new music. I am looking forward to the Finck/Buckethead/Thal sessions but Ashba/Fortus/Thal are more than capable and the sound shouldn't be as layered.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the fact that he was angry on OMG any proof that he 'still has it'? It was almost 15 years ago. The CD songs are more than a decade old too. Then there were visible signs of creativity. I don't see them anymore.

If you don't believe GNR is capable of creativity anymore, I assume you are in favor of further releases from the Finck/Bucket sessions?

The Finck and Bucket sessions is where it's at, and I'm sure even Axl knows it. Sure he'll let DJ have a major part in 1 or 2 songs, and maybe a solo here and there... But make no mistakes, whether this current band has the ability to create music or not, the majority of the next CD WILL be a kind of CD 2, with Buckethead and Robin Finck have major roles in almost every song.

How many bands/musicians that were big or relevant 20-30 years ago are still releasing records that will be ranked among their greatest works?

I honestly can't think of many. Even though I really want to hear new GnR material, I think the simple reason Axl doesn't release an album is that it's highly unlikely that it will be successful.

Although people on here consider Chinese Democracy a masterpiece, the truth is that it's not that spectacular. There is nothing remarkable about it. If you read this forum for a while you might think that every song on that album was a gift from god. And I have no idea why some believe seem to think that Axl has dozens of hits hidden somewhere just waiting to be published.

Anyway, I just thought of this after listening to Wrecking Ball by Bruce Springsteen. It's so damn good that you can hardly believe the guy is 62 and been around for decades. He's angry as hell and still creative and challenging himself after all these years.

Well you seem to like the Boss' new stuff an awful lot, so you yourself dont seem to think an artist relevant years ago cant release one of their best today. If you wanna go that route, most artists we consider to be great do their best stuff in their 50s or later. Chi Dem has so many layers, influences, and contexts I think asking if it is a "masterpiece" is simply barking up the wrong tree, because the whole idea was to do something which hadnt been done before. It is a hard album to judge; masterpieces usually arent those type of albums. Also, I dont think Axl cares about 'success' in your sense of the word; he has plenty of money and could make tons more by simply appearing on the cover of RS, releasing an autobiography, GnR leftovers, etc - but he doesnt do so.

But I'm not in a rush to hear what that material would be, because I would first like to hear the second record from the post-Slash, pre-Ashba era.

That's assuming Axl won't mix things up. I would be very surprised if the next record was exclusively Finck/BH/Brain-era material.

I'm basically saying that only a handful of artists are able to consistently deliver (new material) decade after decade. Axl Rose is probably not one of them. Springsteen found inspiration in the financial meltdown and the whole mess that the american economy is. Is Axl really inspired by anything nowadays? Nobody knows but somehow I don't have the feeling that he is buzzing with ideas.

You think you have any idea what's inside Axl's head? Look at the diverse range of inspirations for various songs on CD and tell me he's not an inspired artist.

Keyword is "nowadays." He asked if Axl is inspired today. Why are you bringing up Chinese Democracy with songs written over a decade ago?

So Axl isn't releasing new material because he knows it won't be a hit?? I'm sorry, I don't buy that at all. How many veteran artists/bands are still churning out hits 20 years later? Slash? Bruce Springsteen? Neil Young? Prince? I can't think of any. Does it mean that none of them are releasing good music anymore? Of course not, it's just that the industry is only interested in supporting younger newer "artists" (and I use that term loosely when referring to 95% of the people in the charts today).

Veteran acts rely on their loyal fanbases, who will buy anything their favourite band/artist puts out. I don't think Axl seriously expected any of the songs from ChiDem to set the charts alight - it hardly sounds as if he was chasing for a hit. When was the last time a rock song made any serious waves on the commercial charts? Last song I can remember was Sex On Fire by Kings Of Leon, but even that was the first in a long time. If you thought songs like Shacklers Revenge or Better or IRS would compete in the charts against the likes of Lady Gaga and Rhianna then you don't have a very realistic view of the music industry in 2012. It's not 1991 anymore.

Axl and other veteran acts have one thing that a lot of todays younger artists lack, and that's the ability to play to large crowds in pretty much any country in the world. And that is the real ace card of Guns N Roses in 2012. They may not be selling albums like 20 years ago (who is?), but people still flock to see them live and always will based on the strength and quality of their past output. That's where the money is for long-standing legendary acts with loyal fanbases and that's what Axl is focusing on right now. New music will come when he feels ChiDem has run it's course.

I disagree. When Axl began work on Gn'R's next record, even after the final pieces to the real band broke up, I fully believe Axl worked on CD thinking it could be a hit. Why else would he obsess over it as he did? I think he wanted to prove everyone out there that a new Guns N' Roses in a new direction was viable. He took too long and rock and roll in mainstream America died. Don't tell me there wouldn't have been room for him on mainstream radio in his late '30s in the late '90s.

I disagree. When Axl began work on Gn'R's next record, even after the final pieces to the real band broke up, I fully believe Axl worked on CD thinking it could be a hit. Why else would he obsess over it as he did? I think he wanted to prove everyone out there that a new Guns N' Roses in a new direction was viable. He took too long and rock and roll in mainstream America died. Don't tell me there wouldn't have been room for him on mainstream radio in his late '30s in the late '90s.

Your thoughts on why Axl did what he did with CD are just that. In fact, in all the interviews in which he was asked if he was trying to make the best album of all time or if he was trying to change the face of music forever, he always vehemently denied that as being ridiculous and said he was just trying to make a good record.

Your thoughts on why Axl did what he did with CD are just that. In fact, in all the interviews in which he was asked if he was trying to make the best album of all time or if he was trying to change the face of music forever, he always vehemently denied that as being ridiculous and said he was just trying to make a good record.

So what if he downplayed it?

And, yes, of course those are my own thoughts. Whose else would they be?

Chinese Democracy is a DAMN good album.

That's most likely not the reason why Axl hasn't released new music. Axl is an extremely talented musician and he's more than capable of writing mind-blowing hits.

You are so fuckin right about everything you just said. I totally agree with you.

I bet Axl has already written stuff down and when he's ready he'll record and release it. Many amazing musicians who are 50 and older are still writing amazing songs. This is who Axl is. He's a writer and a musician and a wonderful performer and as we see with other bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Kiss, and Scorpions to name a few, they are still doing what they do best, writing new songs and touring.

I know Axl can do it all if he chooses to. I think after this latest tour, they might just rest up for awhile and decide what they want to do next. DJ says they will do new music, but it's really up to Axl. I don't think Axl is done yet making music. When it feels right, he'll record and release. Why is everyone so impatient. There are lots of other bands who don't record every year or so and their fans are always there to support them.

I think we should give Axl a break and let him do things in his own time and support him for it and live your lives instead of moaning about Axl not doing what you want him to do.

How many bands/musicians that were big or relevant 20-30 years ago are still releasing records that will be ranked among their greatest works?

I honestly can't think of many. Even though I really want to hear new GnR material, I think the simple reason Axl doesn't release an album is that it's highly unlikely that it will be successful.

Although people on here consider Chinese Democracy a masterpiece, the truth is that it's not that spectacular. There is nothing remarkable about it. If you read this forum for a while you might think that every song on that album was a gift from god. And I have no idea why some believe seem to think that Axl has dozens of hits hidden somewhere just waiting to be published.

Anyway, I just thought of this after listening to Wrecking Ball by Bruce Springsteen. It's so damn good that you can hardly believe the guy is 62 and been around for decades. He's angry as hell and still creative and challenging himself after all these years.

As long as it is Bucket/Robin era's stuff, of course!

And I'm not talking about success...

Edited by Todo Poderoso Timão

CD would have been sucessfull but think of it this way.

-There were 2 tours before its release where several songs were played.

-Several people were hoping if it didn't sell good old gnr would reunite.

-As soon as it was released axl rose dropped out of the spotlight.

-Most of the songs had been leaked onto the internet before its release.

If those things don't happen with the next album, it could be succesfull if the songs are as good as the CD songs.

Bird Catcher -

Hopefully it also means it's the first song on the next album (and possibly the first song played on tour after the record releases). I liked that Chinese had a cool lengthy intro and made for a good way to open the shows. I'd enjoy the next record opening in a simiilar manner.

Let's hope it blows Chinese out of the water.

BirdCatcher -

That would be lovely. I'm certainly optimistic. I never got the sense that Chinese was the best of the best and that the next record would be "left overs." Always seemed it was more like UYI 1 & 2 where the best songs would be spread out. I guess we'll find out eventually (hopefully).

I think he wanted to avoid another Illusions when they just loaded the album up with a million different ideas. Chinese Democracy seemed remarkably cohesive compared to the illusions, the songs made sense. It could very well be a sampling of the CD sessions or the "left overs" are probably in the process of being arranged into another cohesive album. It all has to do how right the order is in his head and I think the band knows this.

I wasn't gonna bash CD, personally I think it's a very good album.

And I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, but I'm very impressed after listening to this album he's releasing at the age of 62. It just got me thinking. That's all.

I thought it was rather cringe-worthy. Same old music, buried under the latest version of the same old political cliches.

Wow...

okay, well thanks first off for the analytical thoughts..JK AHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! :rofl-lol:

Second, yes new music is good.

In regards to you as a poster :crazy:

BirdCatcher -

That would be lovely. I'm certainly optimistic. I never got the sense that Chinese was the best of the best and that the next record would be "left overs." Always seemed it was more like UYI 1 & 2 where the best songs would be spread out. I guess we'll find out eventually (hopefully).

I've always felt like CD could have been a follow up to Illusions ten years ago.

As a die hard fan, Im interested as to your opinion on this. To me, catcher, street of dreams, better, Madagascar, Twat, if the world, irs, prostitute all sound like Illusions type songs.

I know music is totally subjective.

But it baffles me that people who loved the old band, and who loved all the old albums, don't love CD as well. I put better, catcher, Twat, sod, til right up there with the old GnR classics. For example....better is a better song than ycbm. I like Catcher and Twat just as much as rocketqueen and estranged. I like til and prostitute just as much as patience. I like street of dreams just as much as don't cry.

A lot of it has to do with emotional attachment to music of your youth. Someone who was 19 when they heard Appetite would be 40 when they heard Chinese (assuming they even knew or cared that GNR still existed). It's very rare that new music will give you the same thrill or excitement as it did when you were younger.

I agree that many of the songs on Chinese are just as good if not better than songs on previous albums.

But people grow up, tastes and interests change. Appetite was the soundtrack of the lives of millions and millions of people. Most of them do not give a fuck about Chinese and have never heard it. They're married, they have kids and a job. GNR comes to town and they take the wife because they're shocked to learn GNR is still around and they want to go relive their youth. There's nothing Chinese can do to compete with those magical memories.

thats true for the band as well as the music which is why most people bitch about Slash. Its a bit like your parents getting divorced. When i was a kid there were two bands i was musically invested in: GNR and Pearl Jam. I can't imagine if pearl jam had broken up as well.

What made Chinese Democracy worth it for me is that they didn't attempt to recreate the classic sound of the olden days like many bands old and new do. Chinese Democracy only gave one direction and that is forward.

The next album will be worth the wait and I have a feeling it is going to originate from Bucket/Finck/Brain maybe back to Freese because it seems Axl is more interested on those songs before writing new songs. He probably feels he has unfinished business.

Songs like Better, SOD, TWAT, SR and Prostitute really stack up to the old hits. I think the album fits in well with the others.

What made Chinese Democracy worth it for me is that they didn't attempt to recreate the classic sound of the olden days like many bands old and new do. Chinese Democracy only gave one direction and that is forward.

The next album will be worth the wait and I have a feeling it is going to originate from Bucket/Finck/Brain maybe back to Freese because it seems Axl is more interested on those songs before writing new songs. He probably feels he has unfinished business.

Songs like Better, SOD, TWAT, SR and Prostitute really stack up to the old hits. I think the album fits in well with the others.

Exactly