New music

laffy

How many bands/musicians that were big or relevant 20-30 years ago are still releasing records that will be ranked among their greatest works?

I honestly can't think of many. Even though I really want to hear new GnR material, I think the simple reason Axl doesn't release an album is that it's highly unlikely that it will be successful.

Although people on here consider Chinese Democracy a masterpiece, the truth is that it's not that spectacular. There is nothing remarkable about it. If you read this forum for a while you might think that every song on that album was a gift from god. And I have no idea why some believe seem to think that Axl has dozens of hits hidden somewhere just waiting to be published.

Anyway, I just thought of this after listening to Wrecking Ball by Bruce Springsteen. It's so damn good that you can hardly believe the guy is 62 and been around for decades. He's angry as hell and still creative and challenging himself after all these years.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese Democracy is a DAMN good album.

That's most likely not the reason why Axl hasn't released new music. Axl is an extremely talented musician and he's more than capable of writing mind-blowing hits.

How many bands/musicians that were big or relevant 20-30 years ago are still releasing records that will be ranked among their greatest works?

I honestly can't think of many. Even though I really want to hear new GnR material, I think the simple reason Axl doesn't release an album is that it's highly unlikely that it will be successful.

Although people on here consider Chinese Democracy a masterpiece, the truth is that it's not that spectacular. There is nothing remarkable about it. If you read this forum for a while you might think that every song on that album was a gift from god. And I have no idea why some believe seem to think that Axl has dozens of hits hidden somewhere just waiting to be published.

Anyway, I just thought of this after listening to Wrecking Ball by Bruce Springsteen. It's so damn good that you can hardly believe the guy is 62 and been around for decades. He's angry as hell and still creative and challenging himself after all these years.

Chinese Democracy holds up to the prior albums. There's a few songs that truly stand up with the hits (which ones exactly depends on who you ask, but most include Better and TWAT), plenty of others that are good, and none that are truly bad or unlistenable. I don't suspect Axl has a closetful of masterpieces and I agree that the vault material gets overhyped sometimes, but given what Chinese Democracy showed us, I expect several great new songs in the future, and plenty of good ones.

Wrecking Ball is so mainstream...How can you compare bruce with GNR ?

Its true that axl doesn't seem angry on omg, irs, sorry or scraped....

edit : but yeah WB its a good album compared to working on a dream.

Edited by tranconneuse

I wasn't gonna bash CD, personally I think it's a very good album.

And I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, but I'm very impressed after listening to this album he's releasing at the age of 62. It just got me thinking. That's all.

I've come to see things that way myself. Personally and speaking for a lot of us-- I'd suspect what's to come will be more complex and simply better than the top 40.

But Guns N' Roses or any band of such tenure isn't going to turn radio on its head. But for those exposed it will provide for a good listen.

I've come to see things that way myself. Personally and speaking for a lot of us-- I'd suspect what's to come will be more complex and simply better than the top 40.

But Guns N' Roses or any band of such tenure isn't going to turn radio on its head. But for those exposed it will provide for a good listen.

So to answer the question asked by the OP, yes, it will be worth hearing.

IMO we need angry, pissed off Axl back.

He might cancel shows, start riots, and get arrested but he gets music released(eventually).

It really seems that all the crap that happened with CD crushed Axl's rebellious side.

I think not. I don't think there's a relation between his psychotic behavior and him getting albums out.

IMO we need angry, pissed off Axl back.

He might cancel shows, start riots, and get arrested but he gets music released(eventually).

It really seems that all the crap that happened with CD crushed Axl's rebellious side.

I think not. I don't think there's a relation between his psychotic behavior and him getting albums out.

Meh probably not and I was partially joking but it seems he needs something to make him want to prove something or motivate him to play new music.

When he came out in '01 and played Chinese the first time it seemed like he wanted to prove GN'R could still be great but now it seems he's content playing old songs.

Although people on here consider Chinese Democracy a masterpiece, the truth is that it's not that spectacular.

Says who? Music is entirely subjective. There's no "truth" about anything.

Agreed,I'll take GNR over Springsteen anyday.

I think the honesty on the records takes a while to form. to understand what it is you're trying to say. that goes for every artist I think. What do I think I think? Then to make the soundtrack to express that. Is it that easy?

I think the honesty on the records takes a while to form. to understand what it is you're trying to say. that goes for every artist I think. What do I think I think? Then to make the soundtrack to express that. Is it that easy?

Of course not,because thinking thoughts,expressing honest emotion in lyrics,set to music,that is asthetically appealing,or shocking,or both Isn't a task for the uninitiated.

I'm basically saying that only a handful of artists are able to consistently deliver (new material) decade after decade. Axl Rose is probably not one of them. Springsteen found inspiration in the financial meltdown and the whole mess that the american economy is. Is Axl really inspired by anything nowadays? Nobody knows but somehow I don't have the feeling that he is buzzing with ideas.

I'm basically saying that only a handful of artists are able to consistently deliver (new material) decade after decade. Axl Rose is probably not one of them. Springsteen found inspiration in the financial meltdown and the whole mess that the american economy is. Is Axl really inspired by anything nowadays? Nobody knows but somehow I don't have the feeling that he is buzzing with ideas.

You think you have any idea what's inside Axl's head? Look at the diverse range of inspirations for various songs on CD and tell me he's not an inspired artist.

Edited by Flayer