Do you think Axl will debut new material in Ireland?

ITW 2012

Most people who go to GN'R concerts don't care about new music. If anything they'd be irritated if some classic GN'R song were excluded on behalf of something new. So no, playing a new song, although we'd love it, will not serve to appease the general audience in an way.

If Axl really cared about appeasing the general audience he would reunite the band that wrote the songs that the general audience comes to hear.

Yes, but luckily for us that are interested in what the current lineup of Guns N' Roses will achieve, he doesn't.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people who go to GN'R concerts don't care about new music. If anything they'd be irritated if some classic GN'R song were excluded on behalf of something new. So no, playing a new song, although we'd love it, will not serve to appease the general audience in an way.

If Axl really cared about appeasing the general audience he would reunite the band that wrote the songs that the general audience comes to hear.

Yes, but luckily for us that are interested in what the current lineup of Guns N' Roses will achieve, he doesn't.

I'm hoping they achieve a tour behind the release of the rest of the Buckethead era material.

The promoter clearly hinted that new material would be played in Ireland.

where you read that?

The promoter clearly hinted that new material would be played in Ireland.

Maybe they will cover Lady Marmalade. :chef:

my cherona.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I wouldn't be inclined to blame the official in charge of the event. Some element of GN'R has informed him of an intention to rehearse songs from an upcoming album in Dublin in what will presumably be a South East Asia style 'open rehearsal' show.

where you read that?

The Irish Times (highly reputable newspaper)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0128/1224310869204.html

They are also likely to use their time in Ireland to rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy which took 13 years to complete. “The band like Ireland, they like playing here,” Desmond added. “I think he’s going to come back and deliver an 11 out of 10 show.”

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

I dont know... a part of me has been thinking for years people dont care about new material, but picture yourself a show for a band you only know the classics for and the singer says "alright now we're going to play a brand new song no one has heard before". Thats exciting! Even if youre not a huge fan a brand new song, if the crowd knows its brand new, is exciting. Hell, it would get a lot more excitment than randomly bursting into street of dreams or something.

I'm hoping for going down. But it was on the Rio list but never played, so, who knows!?!?

It's interesting because all the General, Soul Monster, Seven talk and it looks like the first new song will

Goin Down, a song that hasnt really been discussed much.

There is no telling what the future holds for the currect lineup.....

If there were new songs, there would be some hints of it being mentioned.

I'm sure they're all going to be working on new material, but whether or not it's for GNR is another story. They all know what Axl has already recorded, I'm sure one or two new songs will develop, but for commercial release? Not until they get a label, or a soundtrack offer comes up. Producers would rather cut a check for WTTJ than new GNR songs, but with an Expendables sequel or any number of action movies, who knows. If Arnold's back to making movies, possibly a new GNR song.

No point of playing a new song unless they have a release date ironed out.

That's not really how the band works.

I heard new songs in 2002 - and the album didn't come out until 2008!

Look how excited people got when Axl pulled out 20 year old cover songs one concert - imagine how the crowd, and the forums would explode in happiness if the boys played an actual new song or two on this tour!!!!!! The positive press would really keep the buzz going!

Look how excited people got when Axl pulled out 20 year old cover songs one concert - imagine how the crowd, and the forums would explode in happiness if the boys played an actual new song or two on this tour!!!!!! The positive press would really keep the buzz going!

One of the many problems with the release... Plus that was a different time. They also played some songs prior to the release of UYI but they were released shortly after.

Hmmm I think reception to a new song played live would be lukewarm by all by the most die-hard forum dwellers such as myself. It is true when people say the majority of the people at a live show are there for the classic hits. SCOM, WTTF, November Rain, Paradise. New songs don't go over so well for any band if they are played live without the fans/audiences being somewhat familiar with them.

Hmmm I think reception to a new song played live would be lukewarm by all by the most die-hard forum dwellers such as myself. It is true when people say the majority of the people at a live show are there for the classic hits. SCOM, WTTF, November Rain, Paradise. New songs don't go over so well for any band if they are played live without the fans/audiences being somewhat familiar with them.

It would go viral on YouTube though :)

I wouldnt be surprised if they played a song from that Rio '11 setlist they didnt play throughout 2011, like Oh My God. But dammit that's not good enough (!!!)

Axl, please play some new shit. Gnr standards are higher than any standards. You did it in the 80s, did it in the 90s, probably nowhere clearer did you do it than in the 00s at Rio '01 and with Chi Dem, and now we really need some new shit. I like in LA how you got Brain on bongos and Robin. I like the talks of being open to playing with Bucket. I like that you dont seem to hate Slash and that you guys are gonna be together at the HOF. But really, we need new shit live, or some studio stuff from Chi Dem era we havent heard, or maybe do some live/studio shit with Izzy or Slash, etc. I'd really like to hear some new stuff with 4tus and Ashba b/c I know it'd be gold. Bring it, rock it, and dont be shy. You are the fucking man. I'm gonna go eat pizza now.

Edited by Eu4ic

I don't exactly understand how they are "on a label". The label has to do with recording and releasing music yes? They must also make money from touring or if I was them I would have dropped Guns long ago. Nothing on the horizon, what's the investment for?

Oh, maybe they're hopeful for another greatest hits eventually?

That's how bands used to work though. Play the first single and a couple other songs before the album comes out, to create buzz for the next album!

It seems like everybody, Axl included, is placing way too much importance on the vault songs or playing a new song live. If they still have 'big guns" waiting on ice, then just pick the 4th or 5th best song and tell the crowd "here is a fun little song we've been working on, let's see if you like it." Playing 1-2 new songs isn't going to send all 10,000 people to the bathroom and beer garden.

Maybe I'm different than most fans of a band. Whenever I'm at a concert and hear the opening notes to a song I've never heard before I get goose bumps and get excited. It's like the first time kissing a new girl. So I don't know why people think casual fans (those willing to pay $100 for the show) are going to get mad and riot if the band plays one or two new songs.

Just my opinion though! I just think it would be an awesome nice for the band to break out a new song or two. Adding estranged, civil war, you're crazy were great moves and the fans really appreciated those additions. Two new songs would shut up all the naysayers and be an early birthday present for all the fans!!!!

Just a thought......not making a demand or telling GnR how to run their band. Just a wish from a fan!

Edited by Groghan

I only went for Welcome to the Fungle.

Kill devil hill......what do you do in that situation? At a concert of one of your three favorite bands....and the singer says "here is a new song, one you have never heard before".......do you get excited, or do you use that time to go the bathroom?