Greenday to induct GNR

VillageGorillaHead

Really? I respect your opinion and you are definitely entitled to it, but I put Green Day on the same pedestal that I put Justin Beiber.

I suspect that they have much of the same fan base.

LOL, how old are you anyway? How old were you when Green Day first started? Just curious since you seem to know nothing about the band's roots.

And by the way, Guns n' Roses is a far more commercial band than Green Day is (if that's what you're trying to get at by the whole Justin Beiber comparison).

Green Day cut their teeth in the Berkely punk scene, just as GNR did in the Sunset Strip scene. Your lack of respect for Green Day just demonstrates your ignorance of the band and music in general. :rolleyes:

I know where Green Day "cut there teeth" and I know that they were somewhat credible before they completely sold out.

My comparison comes from the amount of tweenies with Beiber and Green Day posters and shirts. I wasn't comparing their musical style, I was comparing their fan base.

Really? I respect your opinion and you are definitely entitled to it, but I put Green Day on the same pedestal that I put Justin Beiber.

LOL, how old are you anyway? How old were you when Green Day first started? Just curious since you seem to know nothing about the band's roots.

And by the way, Guns n' Roses is a far more commercial band than Green Day is (if that's what you're trying to get at by the whole Justin Beiber comparison).

Green Day cut their teeth in the Berkely punk scene, just as GNR did in the Sunset Strip scene. Your lack of respect for Green Day just demonstrates your ignorance of the band and music in general. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was thinking about writing a rant about that post, but this guy isn't worth the time. He's either really young or really stupid, but also in serious need of an ear cleaning. You don't have to like Green Day's music (we all have different tastes), but to compare them to a "boy band" teen idol is so ignorant, it's almost unbelievable.

As for the thread's question, I'll vote yes. I happen to be a fan of both bands (although for me like most people here, GNR is miles ahead of almost everyone), but I don't really care that much either way. Some people are taking this event way too seriously in every way.

Yes, it is so mature to insult someone because they have a different view about a band than you.

I'm pretty sure that you've proven who the little kid in this conversation is, but since you've also proven that reading comprehension isn't something that belongs to you, I'll make it clear that it's you.

Oh believe me, I read and understood exactly what you said. And it's one of the most idiotic points I have ever seen a person make.

It's your choice and yours alone to ignore the obvious. If you consider reality to be stupid, I'm not going to be the one to help you deal with that issue.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Day has been one of the more popular bands in rock and roll for over 20 years. There is a reason for that. Even if you don't like their music, to compare them to a manufactured teen idol makes no sense, and is certainly not a reflection of any kind of "reality".

Green Day started from a punk rock ethos, but expanded their music vocabulary to include elements of pop and rock, and they recorded songs that got a lot of radio airplay and became very popular. They made videos. They appeared on magazine covers. That does not mean they "sold out". Guns n' Roses did the exact same fucking thing.

Believe me, a lot of people made snide comments about Axl and GNR back in the day because they were "popular". The day any band signs with a major label, they have "sold out". It's an empty argument that really is beside the point in this discussion, because Green Day are a real band and got popular by releasing hit songs. That is in no way comparable to a teen idol, because first of all teen idols don't write and record their own music, and secondly, if they remain popular for 20 years it's because they have a lot of talent and a devoted fanbase and are able to evolve musically to keep people's interest. (see: Justin Timberlake).

Edited by axlsalinger

Green Day has been one of the more popular bands in rock and roll for over 20 years. There is a reason for that. Even if you don't like their music, to compare them to a manufactured teen idol makes no sense, and is certainly not a reflection of any kind of "reality".

Green Day started from a punk rock ethos, but expanded their music vocabulary to include elements of pop and rock, and they recorded songs that got a lot of radio airplay and became very popular. They made videos. They appeared on magazine covers. That does not mean they "sold out". Guns n' Roses did the exact same fucking thing.

Believe me, a lot of people made snide comments about Axl and GNR back in the day because they were "popular". The day any band signs with a major label, they have "sold out". It's an empty argument that really is beside the point in this discussion, because Green Day are a real band and got popular by releasing hit songs. That is in no way comparable to a teen idol, because first of all teen idols don't write and record their own music, and secondly, if they remain popular for 20 years it's because they have a lot of talent and a devoted fanbase and are able to evolve musically to keep people's interest.

Once again, you have completely missed my point. I was in no way comparing Green Day's music or style to Justin Beiber. I simply said that they share much of the same fan base. I see just as many kids sporting Green Day shirts as I do Beiber shirts.

Why you want to turn this in to some insult fest and pretend that I'm somehow insulting Green Day is beyond me.

Even though I am not a fan of the band, I am not meaning to disrespect anyone that is.

Why you want to turn this in to some insult fest and pretend that I'm somehow insulting Green Day is beyond me.

Even though I am not a fan of the band, I am not meaning to disrespect anyone that is.

The worst ass covering since Axl's spandex days.

Edited by Flayer

The worst ass covering since Axl's spandex days.

And you've come to this conclusion how?

I haven't said a single thing in any thread that I meant to be offensive to a fan of Green Day.

I have stated that I am far from a fan and I really would hate to hear them slaughter any Guns song, but I am just as entitled to my opinion as anyone else.

So again; how is that ass-covering?

Believe me, a lot of people made snide comments about Axl and GNR back in the day because they were "popular". The day any band signs with a major label, they have "sold out". It's an empty argument that really is beside the point in this discussion, because Green Day are a real band and got popular by releasing hit songs. That is in no way comparable to a teen idol, because first of all teen idols don't write and record their own music, and secondly, if they remain popular for 20 years it's because they have a lot of talent and a devoted fanbase and are able to evolve musically to keep people's interest.

Once again, you have completely missed my point. I was in no way comparing Green Day's music or style to Justin Beiber. I simply said that they share much of the same fan base. I see just as many kids sporting Green Day shirts as I do Beiber shirts.

No, I am saying that your point doesn't make any sense. Justin Bieber's fanbase is largely made up of teenage girls. Because he is a new, teen heartthrob. I am not trying to insult him either, it may be that he has some talent and will release good music in the future. But his career began as a manufactured artist to sell albums to teenage girls.

I am telling you that Green Day has a lot of fans that have been around for 5, 10, 15, 20 years. There's no comparison. If a bunch of kids today happen to like Green Day OR Guns n' Roses and buy a poster or a t-shirt, it's cool that they like the music. It still has ZERO to do with Justin Bieber.

No, I am saying that your point doesn't make any sense. Justin Bieber's fanbase is largely made up of teenage girls. Because he is a new, teen heartthrob. I am not trying to insult him either, it may be that he has some talent and will release good music in the future. But his career began as a manufactured artist to sell albums to teenage girls.

I am telling you that Green Day has a lot of fans that have been around for 5, 10, 15, 20 years. There's no comparison. If a bunch of kids today happen to like Green Day OR Guns n' Roses and buy a poster or a t-shirt, it's cool that they like the music. It still has ZERO to do with Justin Bieber.

Ok, I see your point there and it is valid. I'm not afraid to admit it if I'm wrong about something. Not the first time, definitely won't be the last.

Believe me, a lot of people made snide comments about Axl and GNR back in the day because they were "popular". The day any band signs with a major label, they have "sold out". It's an empty argument that really is beside the point in this discussion, because Green Day are a real band and got popular by releasing hit songs. That is in no way comparable to a teen idol, because first of all teen idols don't write and record their own music, and secondly, if they remain popular for 20 years it's because they have a lot of talent and a devoted fanbase and are able to evolve musically to keep people's interest. (see: Justin Timberlake).

best post in thread. :thumbsup:

Ok, I see your point there and it is valid. I'm not afraid to admit it if I'm wrong about something. Not the first time, definitely won't be the last.

I appreciate it, and apologize for insulting you earlier. I see a lot of kids wearing Led Zeppelin t-shirts, and if they happen to also like Justin Bieber, I wouldn't say, what does this tell us about Led Zeppelin? The answer is nothing. I just say, there's hope for them yet!

Music has always been very fragmented, and if you like this band or genre, you're not supposed to like that band or genre. It's all nonsense. Music is so subjective anyway. There are lots of people that hate or dislike Guns n' Roses or are indifferent, including some of my best friends. As we all know here, it's their loss because they're dead wrong.

Music has always been very fragmented, and if you like this band or genre, you're not supposed to like that band or genre. It's all nonsense. Music is so subjective anyway. There are lots of people that hate or dislike Guns n' Roses or are indifferent, including some of my best friends. As we all know here, it's their loss because they're dead wrong.

I agree with this. That said, I don't like Green Day, so I don't want to hear it.

I actually would've liked to see Carrie Underwood induct 'em (she's covered November Rain, Patience, Paradise City, and Sweet Child O' Mine in concert), but I'm probably of a minority opinion on that one.

I appreciate it, and apologize for insulting you earlier. I see a lot of kids wearing Led Zeppelin t-shirts, and if they happen to also like Justin Bieber, I wouldn't say, what does this tell us about Led Zeppelin? The answer is nothing. I just say, there's hope for them yet!

Apology accepted and I also want to apologise for making an ignorant blanket statement.

In hindsight, I really sounded like I was trying to demean the band and their accomplishments. That wasn't my intention. Even though I am not a fan, that doesn't change the fact that they have earned their place and have built a great career with more success than I will ever hope to accomplish.

I completely agree that there is too much division in music based off of what is "cool" to like. My future brother in law was always giving me shit about my Guns fascination so I made him go to Sturgis with me. After the show, he looked at me and said "I will never talk shit about Axl again". That was one of the highlights of the show for me.

Maybe I should be more open minded and expose myself to more Green Day other than their hits on the radio.

I could care less really. I mean if Guns N Roses isn't gonna play, nor the former members, then somebody has gotta play some GNR, so I guess it should be Green Day.

Edited by ohmygod

I hope I'm not being misunderstood. Of course, I'd prefer GN'R to play, but it would be incredibly lame if no one played any GN'R tunes.

It would make the band look like a bunch of big babies and make things even more incredibly akward, as in "that's it?"

The band is a bunch of big babies. Not just Axl, like some would like to believe, all of them are.

I just don't want to hear any of the classic music covered by people who have the potential to put Fergie to shame.

:rofl-lol:

no I want to see Guns N Roses play Guns N Roses

anything short of Guns N Roses playing Guns N Roses will be a disappointment

what an insult it will be if I travel 10 hours and have to settle for Green Day playing Paradise city or something else

what an insult it will be if I travel 10 hours and have to settle for Green Day playing Paradise city or something else

Honestly, save yourself the trip if you're expecting to see a reunion.

Edited by ohmygod

Would you settle for a flying Axl bitchslap to Steven's head?

The way things are going at the moment, that might be attainable.

Of course! Having a band of Green Day's stature would be an incredible tribute to the greatest band of all time. Why not?!?!

On top of that, GN'R needs a proper tribute album, with contemporary bands that people have actually heard of.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol: this