RNR HALL OF FAME LIVE COVERAGE

JimBobJoeJackJr

Watching it off DVR right now. As expected, vocal performance was weak. There's no balls or grit. Not much different than watching VR, except Weiland > Kennedy. Axl can still pull off using the GnR name because his pipes are the GnR signature. It can't work the other way around.

I understand Axl's reasons for not showing up, and Izzy's, but it would have been phenomenal to just see the guys on stage at the same time again.

Edited by HuskerTornado

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny situation when they start playing Paradise City. When Slash plays the intro Steven hits the "wrong rythm" and everybody looks concerned at him. But he pulls it off anyway. :lol:

ha!, only noticed it, you're right, even Myles turns to look "what the?"

If you want a really bad performance go watch RIR 2011.

PS: If you can watch that show entirely without throwing up I will give you 5 dollars. :thumbsup:

I did watch it in its entirety and although I did squirm a bit when Axl was off-tune I never did throw up. So you owe me 5 dollars.

Ha! Okay, will buy you a beer if I ever visit your country.

Watching it off DVR right now. As expected, vocal performance was weak. There's no balls or grit. Not much different than watching VR, except Weiland > Kennedy. Axl can still pull off using the GnR name because his pipes are the GnR signature. It can't work the other way around.

I understand Axl's reasons for not showing up, and Izzy's, but it would have been phenomenal to just see the guys on stage at the same time again.

I'm not a fan of Kennedy's singing, but he was the best option available. He's familiar with the GNR songs because he has performed them often with Slash, and obviously he didn't have anything else going on that weekend because Slash was in Cleveland. One thing I've wondered, is it possible the volume on his mic was turned down so the instruments would partially drown out his singing? Maybe it was just me from my vantage point, or maybe his voice is weaker than I thought.

There's no doubt in my mind Axl waited until late afternoon April 11th (approx 40 hours before he was supposed to arrive in Cleveland) because he wanted his former bandmates and the HOF to be forced to scramble at the last minute, hoping to turn the event into a fiasco. But his plan didn't work :P

Somebody should start a poll: Would it have been better if Axl had showed up, but refused to perform? Or was it better the way it actually went down? Truly a tough question IMO.

Is there any way to get the whole performance? On the HBO broadcast, I only got Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City.Also, why is everyone so negative about the performance? I thought it was really good.

Edited by coolio GNR

Guest ben9785

I watched the pro shot performance on youtube (If anyone else hasn't seen it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruk9wl11Upc&feature=endscreen&NR=1)

It sounds a little uninspired, but I don't know if it's because of the Pro Shot mix, because the crowd isn't very responsible, most of the members onstage don't seem really into it, or a combination of all of the above.

I'm not biased towards new GNR or the original lineup so I'm just calling it how I see/hear

Is there any way to get the whole performance? On the HBO broadcast, I only got Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City.Also, why is everyone so negative about the performance? I thought it was really good.

I'd like to see Brownstone too! It was a great performace and everyone knows it. They just jealous.

most of the members onstage don't seem really into it, or a combination of all of the above.

What are you talking about? You can't wipe the smile off Steven's face. :D

Edited by 31illusions

Guest ben9785

I'd like to see Brownstone too! It was a great performace and everyone knows it. They just jealous.

most of the members onstage don't seem really into it, or a combination of all of the above.

What are you talking about? You can't wipe the smile off Steven's face. :D

Sorry I wanted to emphasise "most of the members", meaning not everyone; Steven was into it and Gilby seemed to be enjoying it as well.

There's been so much positive feedback and demand, I would expect HBO will put out a full 5 1/2 hour DVD after they stop broadcasting the 2 1/2 hour edited version.

And those who are negative about the performance believe that no performance of GNR songs can be good without Axl's vocals. I understand where they are coming from, because Axl's voice IMO is the greatest rock voice of all time - nobody else can come close to replicating it. However, it was absolutely incredible to see three of the classic five members performing AFD songs again. The crowd went fucking nuts when they began to play, and I'm not talking about just the upper level fans - I'm also talking about the people on the floor in their suits and formal dresses, people in their 40's and 50's and 60's who you'd never expect to show excitement about anything. All things considered - Gilby and Myles being brought in at the last minute, the guys not rehearsing until the early morning hours of induction day, etc - the performance couldn't have been much better.

bad performance, well saved by the nostalgia and nice spirits.

It wasn't bad, IMO. They should have called somebody else to sing, though.

Yes, I agree. Even though there were a few mistakes here and there, the performance itself was good imo apart from the vocals. Weiland would have been a much better choice imo.

I watched the pro shot performance on youtube (If anyone else hasn't seen it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruk9wl11Upc&feature=endscreen&NR=1)

It sounds a little uninspired, but I don't know if it's because of the Pro Shot mix, because the crowd isn't very responsible, most of the members onstage don't seem really into it, or a combination of all of the above.

I'm not biased towards new GNR or the original lineup so I'm just calling it how I see/hear

I was at the event and can agree with your thoughts about the proshot sound. Live at the event it was much more impressive. The guitar work was incredibly loud and it echoed really well throughout the venue. It was really loud and it was a total step up from everything else that night. They rocked it legit. It was actually hard to hear Myles Kennedy a little. In person it was much more impressive of a performance than watching it on HBO. At the venue people were freaking out during and shortly after the GNR performance. On HBO with the pro shot sound board its much less forgiving if you will. It did seem more toned down on tv for sure until the guys seemed to loosen up in Paradise City. It still was great on tv nontheless and Slash was pretty spot on.

Guest ben9785

I was at the event and can agree with your thoughts about the proshot sound. Live at the event it was much more impressive. The guitar work was incredibly loud and it echoed really well throughout the venue. It was really loud and it was a total step up from everything else that night. They rocked it legit. It was actually hard to hear Myles Kennedy a little. In person it was much more impressive of a performance than watching it on HBO. At the venue people were freaking out during and shortly after the GNR performance. On HBO with the pro shot sound board its much less forgiving if you will. It did seem more toned down on tv for sure until the guys seemed to loosen up in Paradise City. It still was great on tv nontheless and Slash was pretty spot on.

Thanks for your response. I did see some footage shot from the crowd before and thought the broadcast mix seemed to be a bit flat.

I was there and I agree with you 100%

I actually think Mr Brownstone was the best, but unfortunately HBO did not show that

Slash seemed like he was nervous or something, definitely not his best performance

as far as the crowd, the people on the floor were sitting at tables, and they were the people with "connections" to the industry or the bands playing, so I doubt you will get alot of reaction out of them, however where I was in the rafters, I was definitely rocking out but I cant say much of the people around me where, most people who went were there for the spectacle of all the different bands and the event itself rather then to see GNR

Edited by k12